• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

tumblr_lzpr9t7gfM1r45yk7o1_500.gif

Luffy is so silly and hilarious. Zoro was quite cool, showing he is, in fact, the best at being a pirates and the best fighter in the series, second to Ace. Anyway, solid episode.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Poor Sanji, he's as good as dead now. :( lol

Well with tonight's episode, and Chopper musing that maybe he turned to stone instead of died because of his transfusions, I'm guessing his blood has been "gayed up" by those two ladymen, just enough to slightly dull his womanizing.

Also, CSSer, thanks for always putting the links in here. I just use a bookmark for the episode, but I always hop back to this thread to get the URL for the preview. I used to pull the last one down in my Firefox history and try to figure out the appropriate date wankery to change in the URL, but it's much easier to just click on it here!

eosos

Banned
Alright, everyone says this show is great, even though it looks retarded. I'm gonna watch it though, so do any of you have an idea of where I can watch it online?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Alright, everyone says this show is great, even though it looks retarded. I'm gonna watch it though, so do any of you have an idea of where I can watch it online?

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Funimation has like the first 150 (and climbing) or so episodes up for free streaming, along a huge chunk of the most recent ones. You'll have to be.. creative with the middle, but 150 is certainly plenty to get a sense of whether you like the show.

Keep in mind, not everyone is super receptive to the show at the start. Here's what I say a normal reaction is like:

Episode 1-10: "Well this show is kind of fun, but not really something I'd want to watch 500 episodes of."
Episode 11-20: "Getting better, but it still seems kind of average. At least not all of the villains are goofy."
Episode 20-30: "Damn, seems like there's more to this world than the earlier episodes lead on."
Episode 30-40ish: "Whoa, that was awesome!"
Episode 126: "THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!"

So yeah, if you at least partially like it within the first few episodes, you should be good even if you don't love it until the 40s.

Cwarrior

funi dub is good but sub is the best/only way to go for the funny goofy voices and the awesome villian laughs.

plus what cosmic said it keeps getting better with every arc, it became best thing ever for midway through skypiea.

Zoro keeping the episode awesome with stunning swordwork and Luffy too, epic as well. These are some of my favorites moments of Fishman Island. This arc is so much better animated, as all the arcs in one piece are.

Just wrapping up the Alabasta arc in my re-watch the music in 126 (where croc get's beaten) is so amazing, I wish that much effort was put into all the major battles.

aechris

As someone who doesn't read the manga, I am super friggin excited to see what happens next. There is so much going on and they are (as usual) tugging you along.

Zoro is so badass. Really though, I could say that pretty much at any point of the show and have it be just as relevant.

Haha, I loved Franky's "close enough" reaction when he tried to explain the coating stuff to Luffy.

At first I was not too keen on this arc as I wanted them to reach the New World as soon as possible, especially after learning that it's a big arc and not just some small visit.

But I'm warming up to it now, especially as there seems to be a lot going on in background I want to learn about (everyone seems to have history with each other etc.).
It's also really pleasant to watch, nice setting and good animation.

Been rewatching the anime recently so I can watch it all with my girlfriend who's a first time viewer.

Just reached Shabondy and I have to say wow, even after knowing everything that's happened the arc still really holds up as an insanely strong one.

My girlfriend generally likes One Piece for the fun lighthearted adventure parts, more so than the dramatic action. But the sheer number of cool characters introduced, hard to predict events and general badassery in just the first 5-6 episodes drew her and me both right into the excitement.

Eventhough I've always found story arcs like Water 7 extremely great, I can still say that the pacing wasn't perfect in places and some of the fights were a bit on the long side.
With Shabondy (at least the part we've watched so far) it's like one long non-stop train of fun and insanity. And it pretty much doesn't stop going after the episode where the Supernova are introduced.

Literally every episode had either an epic scene, memorable moment or awesome cliffhanger at the end of it.

I'm curious how some of the arcs that follow will hold up after a long time, rewatching is very interesting.

aechris

I just finally caught up on this and am pretty excited I don't have to avoid spoilers and can discuss it finally lol

Don't get too comfortable! Here people aren't too bad but everywhere else on Internet people will constantly try to spoil things for you coming up in the manga. Word of warning - don't ever read Youtube comments or highlight spoiler text. Ever!

I wish there was an episode, I hate when it takes a one week break. Feels like an important part of the week is missing.

For the dub, collection 5 comes out this week, I can finally see the rest of Alabasta, now if we get Collection 6 dated.

SykoTech

Good episode. This arc's finally beginning to feel more personal, and I like where they seem to be going with the Island's history. Looking forward to hopefully learning more about Fisher Tiger.

*doesn't read the manga*

Wiseblade

About to go watch...

Found this floating around on facebook. Had to post lol

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/428680_415632195116849_100000102178316_1861320_986345555_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is the anime thread, we can do better than that.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibQcBRBEe9B7m.gif

For episode 539, I always felt that this was one of the weakest moments in the arc when I first read the corresponding chapter. Although it seemed to bring development for some characters, it felt kind of awkward and out of place.

Though the anime made it pretty emotional, or rather the scene with
Nami and co's motherly figure being shot in the chest, I thought that was intense

And I think it worked to develop the One Piece world a bit more, it seems like its not all bright and cheery but pretty intense for racism across both ethnic groups. I guess I missed this theme when speed reading the series initially, great job for the anime.

Based on the preview, I cant wait to see the history animated.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh god I havent watched or read since the CP9 saga.

How far along is the english dub?

It's covered three seasons (up to Episode 205, the penultimate episode of G8) and it's currently working on Season 4 (Episodes 206-263. The finale of G8, Davy Back Fight, some filler, then Water 7).

It's unknown when Season 4 will start coming out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cross-posting my impressions from the Anime thread. I'm posting my One Piece impressions there because I'm too scared of being spoiled ITT like I already was a couple of times.

---

Wait, what? I thought this was supposed to be bad, AnimeGAF.

One Piece - Jaya/Skypiea Arcs (144-195)

w3NMJ.jpg

It's weird, because it was actually FREAKING AWESOME.

In fact, it's so awesome that I can only list a few points in which Arabasta trumps Skypiea. They are:

- The main villain.
Despite being ridiculously overpowered with his Logia powers, Enel is never portrayed in a manner that makes him seem more menacing than Crocodile. He clearly is, though.
- The good girl.
Vivi > Conis, although Conis actually gets shit done when she's supposed to.
- The fauna.
The Southbirds, Pierre and Nola are cool (specially Nola), but they're not as cool as Eyelashes, Scissors, the Bananawanis, the Super Spot-Billed Ducks or the Kung-Fu Dudongs. Arabasta even has the awesome anime-only giant dung-roller bug.
- The battles.
There are many cool battle moments in Skypiea, but none that come close to the Usopp-Chopper duo's or Nami's battles in Alubarna, for example.
- The climax.
Ringing the Golden Bell with that asshole's body was awesome, but punching Crocodile through bedrock with dat Dvorak was awesomer.

These are obviously important points - maybe even the most important points (not the fauna), but the truth is that Arabasta's strongest assets are only really shown on-screen during the second half of the arc, while Skypiea's also great in those aspects (although to a lesser extent) and blows Arabasta away in others that the viewers have to deal with throughout the entire arc.

Mainly...

- Backstory. Man, does Oda know how to create awesome backstories.
Arabasta arc's backstory consists basically of Crocodile fucking the nation and Vivi being a great princess since she was a child. Meanwhile, Skypiea's backstory goes back to 400 years before present time and tells of the friendship between the awesome Montblanc Norland and Calgara. It's much more complex and entertaining.
- The location.
Holy shit at Skypiea. Seriously. It feels like an endgame setting lost in the beginning of an RPG, haha. Arabasta's a desert island. Skypiea's a freaking winged-people kingdom set on top of the clouds in an ocean of white. Taking a break from the Grand Line felt pretty good. Maybe it's because this arc embraces fantasy without regrets that people don't like it so much? I wonder. I think it's awesome.
- Robin.
Arabasta has Miss All Sunday. Skypiea has freaking Robin. I just love her badassery and how she only calls Luffy by name. Also, she brought with her that whole Poneglyph thing, that seems like really serious business.
- The ovearching conflit.
A 400 years old war between two completely different kinds of people set in the sky over some kind of "holy land" and a long-forgotten promise between friends who were set apart beats a rebellion led by that brat Kohza any day.

And then, we also have...

- The "preparations" episodes (and the first half).
You could say the events that directly lead up to Arabasta start inside Laboo, but that'd be kind of a stretch. Getting to know Vivi before reaching the desert was cool, but once they did reach it, it became kind of a bore. Of course, Ace's there, so there's that. But they just mostly walked around the dunes. Shit only started getting real when Crocodile "killed" Luffy and the others set out to Alubarna. In the Skypiea arc, shit got real in the very first set of episodes. The ship falling out from the sky, the huge turtle, those freaking giants (haha). And then the crew set out to Jaya and met that asshole Bellamy, that was hyped for a couple of episodes only to have his ass kicked out of the atmosphere by a single one of Luffy's regular punches (I guess bounties are like pirate power levels, haha). After that, we had the Knock-Up Stream, that amazing episode showing characters we probably won't see again for ages, and finally we got to know "sky island". A pretty sweet ride.
- The setting of the decisive moments.
The Survival Game was great. Three different "factions" beating each other in Upper Yard. It even had cool face-offs like Zoro against characters who use weapons that aren't swords, Chopper's against one of the Priests, and Robin murdering the obese guy.
- New concepts.
The different kinds of clouds and dials are pretty cool.
- Funny moments,
such as Luffy singing, Usopp using "Usopp Spell" and doing a backflip (bwahahaha), Sanji's Mellorine radar, Zoro "beating" the dog, and Enel's reaction to the revelation that he can't hit Luffy with his lightning.
- Epic moments,
such as Enel's crazy goal revelation, the Zoro/Robin/Gan Fall/Wiper challenge against Enel (although that didn't end well at all), Usopp and Sanji rescuing Nami from Maxim, and Luffy being incredibly intelligent using the Gomu Gomu no Hanabi against the wall to hit Enel and then doing the same with his hand inside the gold ball to break the Genki Dama.

I had a blast. Honestly. Can't wait to see what'll come up next now that the crew's back
to the real world, haha.

It still annoys me that
no one dies ever
, though, and I wonder if every arc from now on will go through the same route -
they arrive > Luffy's incapacitated somehow > the others fight, kill minions, but are ultimately left hopeless > Luffy shows up and beats the main villain.
I mean, it's the third time in a row.

All this leads to my final point:
Who the the fuck fixed the Going Merry?

(Don't tell me.)

Who told you it was shit? One Piece is pretty damn great most of the time with occasions of mehness. It's never really downright bad.

Also can't wait to see your impressions on the next canon arc if you loved skypiea and alabasta :D

survivor

Banned
It still annoys me that
no one dies ever
, though, and I wonder if every arc from now on will go through the same route -
they arrive > Luffy's incapacitated somehow > the others fight, kill minions, but are ultimately left hopeless > Luffy shows up and beats the main villain.
I mean, it's the third time in a row.

Without trying to spoil a lot, the way arcs are structured do get changed up in the future.

I just got caught up with the anime, I stopped reading the manga at the end of the great war, when I was reading chapters the day they were out... I honestly thought the anime would be further than it is by now..

been following One Piece since 2005 :D

Wiseblade

One Piece - Jaya/Skypiea Arcs (144-195)

That 's pretty much the general consensus on the arc. Generally it's considered weak compared to the ones immediately prior and after, rather than truly bad.

I considered the actual fighting parts of the arc to be the weakest (Excluding Bellamy's OHKO) while the flashback and world-building aspects to be brilliant. Watching the crew figure out yhow to gwet into the sky was great and Norland's story is the best flashback in the show.

As I already mentioned the arc's battles fell flat for me. The stakes felt a lot lower and the enemies weren't as threatening. With the exception of Enel, none of the really felt powerful or like a legitimate threat for the main characters.

SykoTech

I thought Skypiea was one of the weakest arc of One Piece, but it was by no means shit. Loved the flashbacks with Nolan the "Liar" and that warrior guy. It was pretty touching. And of course, Luffy's golden rifle finisher was just stunning.

EDIT: And the "fight" with Bellamy. That was priceless.

Davy Beck aside, One Piece doesn't have any bad canon arcs.

upandaway

That 's pretty much the general consensus on the arc. Generally it's considered weak compared to the ones immediately prior and after, rather than truly bad.

I considered the actual fighting parts of the arc to be the weakest (Excluding Bellamy's OHKO) while the flashback and world-building aspects to be brilliant. Watching the crew figure out yhow to gwet into the sky was great and Norland's story is the best flashback in the show.

As I already mentioned the arc's battles fell flat for me. The stakes felt a lot lower and the enemies weren't as threatening. With the exception of Enel, none of the really felt powerful or like a legitimate threat for the main characters.
They sorta had this "home turf" advantage going which made them seem less threatening. And dials didn't help, it's never cool for enemies to rely on stuff like that.

The fights between the enemies and the natives were really good though, as far as I remember, maybe because all of the above doesn't really apply.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Who told you it was shit? One Piece is pretty damn great most of the time with occasions of mehness. It's never really downright bad.

Also can't wait to see your impressions on the next canon arc if you loved skypiea and alabasta :D

Multiple posters in the AnimeGAF thread. I'm glad to see I'm not too far off the consensus, here.

Without trying to spoil a lot, the way arcs are structured do get changed up in the future.

I'm really glad to hear it.

Sorry I have to side with the Alabasta > Skypeia camp. Unless the anime really sped the pace up, focused on enhancing many of the low points, and really made it quite actiony and emotional, then I cant imagine it being better.

The biggest thing I dislike in One Piece is how often the crew is not together.

Mr. Fix

@Brazil

Glad you enjoyed Skypiea. The formula pretty much changes once you hit the CP9 saga. I'd rather not go all GAF-hyperbole on it, but it's good. Like REALLY GOOD. It gets personal, and is an awesome change from the norm. The enemies and battles are also much better than those on Skypiea, which I found to be the weak point, except for Enel.

Might think about watching the show, does it take itself seriously, does it follow average anime stereotypes, and most importantly, does it have a good and deep story filled with clever humor?

survivor

Banned
Might think about watching the show, does it take itself seriously, does it follow average anime stereotypes, and most importantly, does it have a good and deep story filled with clever humor?

Well what anime have you watched before? I'm just trying to get an understanding of what your expectations are.

One Piece is pretty much just a shounen anime done right.

upandaway

Based on your vague questions it doesn't seem like you'll violently reject it, so I think you're safe watching up to the standard "you should know by now" point (around episode 45?)

It adheres to anime stereotypes, but sometimes it subverts them as well.

And it takes itself seriously at points, but there's a ton of humor too and the lore/world is absolutely massive. So you could say it's deep in a sense.

It's still a rather typical shounen series that doesn't do much new, but it's so ridiculously refined and consistent that it being the biggest franchise of all time in Japan doesn't feel wrong.

Just keep in mind that it has a very slow start and the first few arcs do not accurately represent the overall quality.

It adheres to anime stereotypes, but sometimes it subverts them as well.

And it takes itself seriously at points, but there's a ton of humor too and the lore/world is absolutely massive. So you could say it's deep in a sense.

It's still a rather typical shounen series that doesn't do much new, but it's so ridiculously refined and consistent that it being the biggest franchise of all time in Japan doesn't feel wrong.

Just keep in mind that it has a very slow start and the first few arcs do not accurately represent the overall quality.

Is this a good or a bad thing? I thought the first four or so arcs up to Arlong were fantastic.

Mr. Fix

Based on your vague questions it doesn't seem like you'll violently reject it, so I think you're safe watching up to the standard "you should know by now" point (around episode 45?)

Yep. Everyone should give it a 40 episode trial run.

Nami's backstory got me into it for good, which I think is the best portrayal of "serious" early on. Baratie was also awesome though.

The posts make it seem as if it took that many arcs for the series to take off, I mean, my favorite characters and their arcs were just in the first two or three arcs, they were pretty indicative of what to expect for the series, really.

Top Bottom