• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So...
Stannis is the rightful heir.
Renly has no right to the throne since he is fourth in line. I don't know what his problem is really. He should just stop wasting everyone's time and help is brother.
Robb Stark wants to avenge his father, kill Joffery and every other Lannister. And declare the North a separate Kingdom. At least that's what I gather from this trailer.
Everyone agrees Joffery needs to die already.
So why don't they do the following:
Renly stops being an arse, joins his brother and Robb to sack King's Landing. Stannis declares the North free and a separate kingdom. They put Joffrey in the dungeons with men who have a ...certain taste for young meat. And.. feed cersei to the direwolves. She probably thought the north forgot about that shit she did to Sansa's poor direwolf Lady. The north remembers, bitch.

This whole situation reminds me of boondocks.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That's a loaded question for this thread. I'll just say everyone has their own motivations for doing the things they do and leave it at that.

But I will correct you in saying Renly is second in-line to Stannis.

So...

Edit: Please don't correct me anymore.

Renly has no right to the throne since he is fourth in line. I don't know what his problem is really. He should just stop wasting everyone's time and help is brother.

Renly believes he should be king, not Stannis. He doesn't believe in the line of succession and points to the fact Robert took the throne from the Targaryens [as stated to Ned before he fled Kings Landing]. The scene with Lora's in season one formed the idea.

Robb Stark wants to avenge his father, kill Joffery and every other Lannister. And declare the North a separate Kingdom. At least that's what I gather from this trailer.

Indeed. Ultimately he wants his sisters returned though.

Renly stops being an arse, joins his brother and Robb to sack King's Landing.

You'll see why during the season.

This whole situation reminds me of boondocks.

To be fair if you haven't read the books you won't yet understand the events that unfold and the motivations [and personalities] of all the characters you're discussing.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Thanks. Yea, I haven't really read the books. So it's going to be a fun ride for viewers like me.

And a quick question about this here:
Renly believes he should be king, not Stannis. He doesn't believe in the line of succession and points to the fact Robert took the throne from the Targaryens. The scene with Lora's in season one formed the idea.
But isn't the only reason that Robert was on the throne, and not Ned Stark/Jaime Lannister because one of Robert Baratheon's distant ancestors was a Targaryen? And in that sense, didn't the line of succession matter to an extent?

But isn't the only reason that Robert was on the throne, and not Ned Stark/Jaime Lannister because one of Robert Baratheon's distant ancestors was a Targaryen? And in that sense, didn't the line of succession matter to an extent?

No, I believe Robert claimed the throne after he killed Rhaegar. The other combatants [including Ned] refused the throne. You're right, in that technically he is distantly related to the Targaryens, but that's not the reason he's king.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
No, I believe Robert claimed the throne after he killed Rhaegar. The other combatants [including Ned] refused the throne.

After all the rebels were united, it was decided they would stand behind Robert, whose grandmother had been the daughter of King Aegon V Targaryen, giving him the best claim to the throne outside of Aerys, his children and grandchildren.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/War_of_the_Usurper Series spoilers, obviously

After all the rebels were united, it was decided they would stand behind Robert, whose grandmother had been the daughter of King Aegon V Targaryen, giving him the best claim to the throne outside of Aerys, his children and grandchildren.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/War_of_the_Usurper Series spoilers, obviously

Ah, fair enough then, I didn't realize that factored in.

Either way Renly clearly doesn't agree with the line of succession and believes he would be a better king than Stannis due to the fact he is a popular figure.

I love how Dan, Dave, and Alan can't figure out how the hell that line actually got into the final cut - but they think it's awesome and hilarious and they're glad it's there.

It wasn't scripted; it was just some really shitty ad-lib by a random extra that somehow made it through.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
3gPxn.jpg

wait wat

Lawdy, can't wait for this scene

Also I love the contrast between the drabness of Dragonstone and its inhabitants and Melisandre's red garb.

His is, but it's not that simple - nobody really knows [or if they do, has proof] that Joffrey wasn't Robert's son. That died with Ned. I think Stannis believes he should be king because Joff isn't of age? I don't recall the technicalities of succession.

(ACoK)
Stannis knows that Joff (and the other kids) are the product of incest. He sends out a letter to everyone in the seven kingdoms saying as much, and that since they're not Robert's kids, that he is the rightful heir. There's never going to really be proof or anything since it's not like the have DNA testing in this era anyway.

His is, but it's not that simple - nobody really knows [or if they do, has proof] that Joffrey wasn't Robert's son. That died with Ned. I think Stannis believes he should be king because Joff isn't of age? I don't recall the technicalities of succession.
I believe Ned sent out a letter to Stannis before he died.

Hieberrr

I am so freaking hyped! I tried reading the book, but it was way too late for me since I already began watching the show. I'm weird like that.

:O~ C'MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!!!

Uncle

Stannis believes he should be king, because Ned sent him a letter, just before he went to confront the queen and the little shit.

Edit: beaten.

Stannis knows Joffery is illegitimate. It's why he left King's Landing; after the murder of Arryn, he knew a coup was happening.

3N16MA

Banned
Stannis knows Joffery is illegitimate. It's why he left King's Landing; after the murder of Arryn, he knew a coup was happening.

He didn't know Joffery was illegitimate until Ned sent him the letter. If Stannis knew what Jon Arryn knew while at Kings Landing he would have told Robert.

He didn't know Joffery was illegitimate until Ned sent him the letter. If Stannis knew what Jon Arryn knew while at Kings Landing he would have told Robert.

Not really, Ned "knew" just as much as stannis knew. Only difference is that cersei confirmed it to one of them.

Not spoilered because this is the season 2 thread and that is season 1 stuff.

3N16MA

Banned
Not really, Ned "knew" just as much as stannis knew. Only difference is that cersei confirmed it to one of them.

I would think Stannis would have confronted Cersi much like Ned did. He seems like the kind of guy that would do something like that. Perhaps I missed it but I thought Jon Arryn knew more than Stannis but Stannis knew something was not right.

Keep an eye on your tags, folks. There are a few things that occur during the timeline of Season 1 but aren't revealed until later. If it hasn't happened on the television show, it should be tagged. Thanks.

He never received Ned's letter, as the carrier was killed. Stannis left King's Landing in anger after being spurned for the Hand appointment, and because he knew something was wrong with Joffery/Tommen/Myrcella

3N16MA

Banned
He never received Ned's letter, as the carrier was killed. Stannis left King's Landing in anger after being spurned for the Hand appointment, and because he knew something was wrong with Joffery/Tommen/Myrcella

I will take your word for it as it's kind of blur to me right now. I should freshen up on the details.

3N16MA

Banned
Keep an eye on your tags, folks. There are a few things that occur during the timeline of Season 1 but aren't revealed until later. If it hasn't happened on the television show, it should be tagged. Thanks.

Are you creating another thread with untagged spoilers like season 1?

apana

A similar scene was also in the earlier trailer if you were looking hard enough. Book 2 spoiler:
Osha and Theon? She will distract him while Bran makes his escape. This wasn't in book 2 though. Osha was waking up out of a bed in the seven devils trailer

Lax Mike

Neo Member
So...
Everyone agrees Joffery needs to die already.
Renly stops being an arse, joins his brother and Robb to sack King's Landing. Stannis declares the North free and a separate kingdom. [etc.]

It's made pretty clear by Renly in the first season that he does not think Stannis will make a good king, which is why he chooses to go for it himself.

I'm not sure how much of this has been seen at all in the trailers, but (ACoK Spoilers)
if I do remember correctly, Stannis isn't one to abide by the concept of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," and sees Renly as just as bad as Joffrey, in that they're both trying to take the throne that they have no right to. And since he sees himself as the true king, he sees Robb's actions as an open rebellion against his rule, and wants to bring him to justice.

And since it's been a while since I've read ACoK does anybody remember if (ACoK spoilers)
Stannis has any animosity towards the Starks? I remember him saying at one point that Robert treated Ned as more of a brother than he ever did with Stannis, but I thought that was more of a dig at Robert than anything else. Though his actions, unless explained in some way, could be construed by new viewers as being anti-Stark, since he and Robb both share a common enemy.

I'm just hoping that the show is able to convey Stannis in the same way as in the books (Stubborn adherence to his own code of honor, to a fault) rather than being the dick who thinks he is entitled to everything, and will stop at nothing to further his own power.

bengraven

So wait, has (minor SoS spoilers)
Jeyne been rewritten as a commoner for the show? That girl Robb was talking to definitely looked like her, but was dressed like a serving maid. Can't say I like the change, if true.

She's wearing some nice clothes, just dirty.
There was just a battle at her father's castle - her dad is a Lannister bannerman. If I remember correctly, weren't they originally prisoners of Robbs before swearing to him?

No, Stannis knew before Ned. (not really spoilers since it's mentioned in the first book, but I'll tag it since I think they glossed over this in the show)
Stannis and Jon Arryn were investigating the legitimacy of Robert's children together prior to the series. That's why the two of them were going around together examining Robert's bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom