• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekobo

Lots of communication, phone, aim.

Webcaming whenever possible.

Have plans to meet in person and execute them.

Thanks for the advice (and to the others who chimed in).

I'm dating a girl that lives about 6 hours away. I'm a bit leery about the whole long distance thing, but we recently had a Disneyland date and we hit it off really well, so I'm gonna give it a shot. She wants to move close to where I'm at, but it depends if she can find work.

mcrae

Thanks for the advice (and to the others who chimed in).

I'm dating a girl that lives about 6 hours away. I'm a bit leery about the whole long distance thing, but we recently had a Disneyland date and we hit it off really well, so I'm gonna give it a shot. She wants to move close to where I'm at, but it depends if she can find work.

how many dates have you gone on?

mcrae

Alright Gaf I have a riddle that I have been dwelling on for the past day or so. I will keep it blunt and to the point and all I want if possible is defining factors between the two agenda's I am about to propose.

The riddle is this, what are traits that define the difference between a woman who is flirting with you because she is legitimately interested in dating. Compared to a woman that flirts with you into the attempt to see if she can draw your attraction/attention just for the sake of boosting her own confidence.

An example of the latter is a man who has a "mid-life" crisis. He goes out to see if he still has "it" or "mojo" what say you. Such a thing is done to see if the man posses the ability to still attract women, but the man does it for the sake of boosting his own morale or tooting his horn so to speak.

I may not be on expert on such subject, but I have a infallible memory, so if they are any additions question that must be ask to help me with my riddle then I can recall just about every minor detail.

Thanks.

there are also just people who flirt because it is part of their personality, not cause they're looking to gain confidence. i think in general there is no noticeable difference between the three, if you're looking for actual cues you're totally overthinking it. just flirt back in all cases without hoping that you 'close' or whatever, but also without being desperate.. is my advice

I run into the same issue myself. I saw one that actually described herself as "tsundere".....that read as "I AM CRAZY" to me.
It's not even the outright crazy ones, but the ones who come off as normal girls who are down on their dating luck, and then you try to go out with them, and you realize exactly why they're still single. I've met so many flakes these past few months, it's insane. It seems like almost everyone I meet ends up flaking out.

Hylian7

It's not even the outright crazy ones, but the ones who come off as normal girls who are down on their dating luck, and then you try to go out with them, and you realize exactly why they're still single. I've met so many flakes these past few months, it's insane. It seems like almost everyone I meet ends up flaking out.

Well, I've only actually gotten to meet one girl in person on there. Almost got to meet another, but she unfortunately flaked because "something unexpectedly happened" and she was casually dating someone. Oh well, a different girl responded today and wants to meet, so we're probably doing that this week, providing it's not a repeat of last week.

Darklord

Banned
I just set a date with a girl I barely know and that I've never met before. I guess this is what dating sites are meant to be but I'm kinda nervous now. I've never actually been on a 1 on 1 date. It's always been with groups or friends or together with others with a girl. Which I liked because I'm not great at 1 on 1's at the start, I'm much better at bouncing around a group.

Oh well, I always said it's better to jump in the deep end.

Desperado

Alright, just shot out 6 messages on okcupid. Responses would be nice, but it feels good just to send them out. Only got one response from my first 7 messages, and that (really awesome) girl isn't responding to contact anymore :/ Onward and upward, I guess.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Hah, just felt lonely and down on myself, so I popped in the thread and was thinking about writing some questions or just get a pat in the back to feel better. Instead, I decided to read the OP just once more. Made me feel better instantly. Straaaaange. Must be some magical self-confidence boosting text there.

I do meet a lot of girls and get tons of numbers, and I talk more than I have ever talked with any new people in bars while drinking, or any other place even when not which is fun. I even go on dates from time to time, but haven't really found a proper girl that I like. Either too young, not interesting, live too far away, have boyfriends and I don't want to intervene, or just girls who want a foreigner to speak english to. Not picky, just not getting that dokin dokin in the heart.
I have fucked it up a few times with girls I did like a lot by being overly interested, but those have been lessons learned now. Being more active and just being my funny self has made a whole lot of difference in the world to my old self. You know, that usual guy. I did notice that if I go out with friends, I talk less to girls, but if I'm alone I'm the alpha male as I don't feel the pressure of someone watching me do my stuff. That I got to improve.

But coming from a long relationship+marriage, which I fucked up, it sometimes feels difficult to be alone. Got some therapy and meds for that and I feel the same feelings from time to time getting over, but I can recognize them now and try to prevent them. Guess I need to hit the gym more and start cooking again as those things make me happy. And definitely need to improve at work/school. Shit, even cleaning the apartment feels nice.

I kind of feel my age sometimes as I'm a guy that is 35 but looks 28, so the girls that talk are mostly between 19-25. Sounds like a dream, but mostly not. I need me some more mentally mature persons.

I just set a date with a girl I barely know and that I've never met before. I guess this is what dating sites are meant to be but I'm kinda nervous now. I've never actually been on a 1 on 1 date. It's always been with groups or friends or together with others with a girl. Which I liked because I'm not great at 1 on 1's at the start, I'm much better at bouncing around a group.

Just roll how you roll solo, and talk more. Set up what you think will be a good time and bear in mind that, as long as it's not sitting in and watching Swamp People or whatever, she'll likely dig it too. It's your mood and confidence that will set the bar, so pick an environment that facilitates that.

Also remember...you're interviewing her like she's interviewing you. Two way street maing. Good luck!

low-G

I know there are flakes out there, but I haven't had a single girl actually flake out with me in terms of setting up a date & the showing up. Talking 7 or 8 different girls from dating sites in the last 6 months that never even delayed a set date once. I'm just wondering if you're doing something odd in the messaging that is causing this.

Think of it as adventure and a learning experience. Maybe read up on first date question suggestions, I followed some of them on my first few dates, still use them as a guide to brainstorm ideas sometimes.

Alright, just shot out 6 messages on okcupid. Responses would be nice, but it feels good just to send them out. Only got one response from my first 7 messages, and that (really awesome) girl isn't responding to contact anymore :/ Onward and upward, I guess.

I think I sent out something like 10 or 20 messages off the bat and had girls closing their accounts and chatting and disappearing. I think there are a set of skills you will develop as you message over time. Obviously my response percentages increased dramatically over time, sometimes as high as 50% over a set of messages to different girls.

Darklord

Banned
Think of it as adventure and a learning experience. Maybe read up on first date question suggestions, I followed some of them on my first few dates, still use them as a guide to brainstorm ideas sometimes.

I actually thought simplepickup's videos were great. They have one about 1 on 1 chatting. Like rather than just ask "What do you do?" change it to "Lemme guess, I bet you're in fashion, right?" and if she says something like she loves going out partying, you joke and say something like "Oh so you're an alcoholic then" so you try and avoid direct questions.

Ok tips to get out of friend zone. Dug myself a deep hole this time XD! Can't get out. Its either fuck you or try and get out.

2012 has sucked hard for me on the dating area ahahhaa

Get both of you drunk and alone together. Or party with others - but just make sure you stay awake as long as she is up partying.

low-G

I actually thought simplepickup's videos were great. They have one about 1 on 1 chatting. Like rather than just ask "What do you do?" change it to "Lemme guess, I bet you're in fashion, right?" and if she says something like she loves going out partying, you joke and say something like "Oh so you're an alcoholic then" so you try and avoid direct questions.

Yeah, I never was able to fake those dynamic flows but that sort of stuff comes very naturally with experience and comfort.

I know there are flakes out there, but I haven't had a single girl actually flake out with me in terms of setting up a date & the showing up. Talking 7 or 8 different girls from dating sites in the last 6 months that never even delayed a set date once. I'm just wondering if you're doing something odd in the messaging that is causing this.
I can't be doing something odd in the messaging, unless texting like a normal human being is considered odd these days.

low-G

And I just set up my 3rd first date with a new girl in the last 7 days for 6 tonight.

I can't be doing something odd in the messaging, unless texting like a normal human being is considered odd these days.

Are you going after especially gorgeous girls? Especially ugly girls? Are you telling them how much you're interested in meeting them? Are you messaging them much or at all between first setting up the date? Did you ever praise their appearance? How much did you do so?

Pachimari

Me and that girl I went to Sweden with some time ago have tried being friends recently and it went alright even though she were still clingy, but I could just ignore that. Anyway, she keeps being negative and dramatic about small things and that affects my mood, which I don't need as I have a job interview coming up and some other projects. So I have broken all contact, but I feel good about defending myself now.

I'll miss the bondage sex though.

I have never really tried the "dating scene", where we go on a date or three before being in a relationship. It seems like that's not how Filipinas (without generalizing too much, at least the six I have been with have asked directly and then I have replied) do it and me neither. Maybe I should try it, would be exciting and the best way of judging if a relationship is worth it. But I want to concentrate on getting a job and apartment first. But I think there's an exciting future ahead, at least I hope so. :)

I want to stand up for myself and tell people when enough is enough, it feels good to listen to oneself sometimes.

Helscream

Banned
Personally I think the traits can blend so together in some cases that the person themselves doesn't know they're doing it. They enjoy the ego boost and they think that's what it's all about, but when they get 'bored' and the ego boost doesn't work like it used the the relationship fails.

It might do to observe the person and see if they're caring / compassionate elsewhere. Still doesn't necessarily mean anything, they might be bothered by guilt, but at least they're not a complete sociopath in that case.

I think the vast majority of people look for a self-boosting component of relationships anyways. People like to be praised. So even in the best case it's going to play a part.

Indeed. Right now I am just testing the waters for the present time. I have taken interest in this person, but proceeding with caution of course. That ''boredom" part is what I am looking out for. There have been past experiences when I had thought a person was legitimately interested in me, but in reality was trying to find another trinket to add to their keychain.

there are also just people who flirt because it is part of their personality, not cause they're looking to gain confidence. i think in general there is no noticeable difference between the three, if you're looking for actual cues you're totally overthinking it. just flirt back in all cases without hoping that you 'close' or whatever, but also without being desperate.. is my advice

Yes I seem to have a difficult time dividing the three up. When the person becomes flirtatious I respond with either some sarcastic gesture or joke to play along. My one fallacy is I do find myself overthinking on something that in reality is just 1-dimensional and really had no deep meaning. So I have to kick myself in the ass from time to time to myself to chill out. In my mind I may being running in circles, but in person I always do well to refrain from making a fool out of myself.

I appreciate the feedback from the both of you.

Mr.City

Me and that girl I went to Sweden with some time ago have tried being friends recently and it went alright even though she were still clingy, but I could just ignore that. Anyway, she keeps being negative and dramatic about small things and that affects my mood, which I don't need as I have a job interview coming up and some other projects. So I have broken all contact, but I feel good about defending myself now.

I have never really tried the "dating scene", where we go on a date or three before being in a relationship. It seems like that's not how Filipinas (without generalizing too much, at least the six I have been with have asked directly and then I have replied) do it and me neither. Maybe I should try it, would be exciting and the best way of judging if a relationship is worth it. But I want to concentrate on getting a job and apartment first. But I think there's an exciting future ahead, at least I hope so. :)

I want to stand up for myself and tell people when enough is enough, it feels good to listen to oneself sometimes.

First, good job asserting yourself. This woman is being toxic to your life, and you had the strength to remove her. However, it seems like there are rules you set up for being in relationships with women (3 dates or more to a relationship) instead of letting it blossom naturally. Instead going on a date with an intent, let be an experience.

I'll miss the bondage sex though.

We all miss the bondage sex.

Pachimari

First, good job asserting yourself. This woman is being toxic to your life, and you had the strength to remove her. However, it seems like there are rules you set up for being in relationships with women (3 dates or more to a relationship) instead of letting it blossom naturally. Instead going on a date with an intent, let be an experience.

We all miss the bondage sex.

Nah, I have never told myself there needs to be 3 dates, in fact I have never set up any dates, it all just happened. Maybe you're saying that that's what I should continue doing? Just letting things happen naturally. :)

The most hard part of all of this isn't that I'm not with her as I broke up with her, but that I have nobody else than my parents. I got no network. But recently I have gotten in touch with my best friend from high school again and hopefully I'm getting a job next week.

low-G

I am only in the "finishing" phases of beating the anxiety and social phobia I have had for some years. But when I'm over that, then I'll try my best.

That's what I came off of before starting dating. It really really helped to get into shape so I didn't have to worry as much about what people might think of me, and that fed natural chemicals into feeling good and all that.

I won't lie though I did have one local friend that was the connective tissue that led me to forge greater friend ties elsewhere. Without him I would be in a really different place now.

Well heres my story. I asked 2 girls out from different classes and nothings really happened with both of em. The one who I thought was really cute has a bf but she said we could still go out as friends and I agreed and a week after that I gave her my number (last monday) and she still hasn't hit me up.

Would I look desperate if I asked her when she's free again? (just friends)

Then the other girl said 2 Fridays ago but she had an interview, then I bumped into her later that day and she said she couldn't and we could do it next Tuesday. The day came and she came to class late and since it was a test day I was gone before she got there. We hung out after class last Friday and she said she was bi now people's orientation doesn't bother me but Ive had bad experiences with that type.

I'm not gonna give up though, since I've been having a good time being more social. I've gotta work on the smiling though, haven't been doing it enough.

And I just set up my 3rd first date with a new girl in the last 7 days for 6 tonight.

Are you going after especially gorgeous girls? Especially ugly girls? Are you telling them how much you're interested in meeting them? Are you messaging them much or at all between first setting up the date? Did you ever praise their appearance? How much did you do so?
There's nothing wrong with my communications if that's what you're implying. Like I said, I talk to them like a normal ass person. I go for girls that I find attractive.

low-G

There's nothing wrong with my communications if that's what you're implying. Like I said, I talk to them like a normal ass person. I go for girls that I find attractive.

Well then good luck with that. There's definitely something wrong if tons of girls are flaking on you.

Well heres my story. I asked 2 girls out from different classes and nothings really happened with both of em. The one who I thought was really cute has a bf but she said we could still go out as friends and I agreed and a week after that I gave her my number (last monday) and she still hasn't hit me up.

Would I look desperate if I asked her when she's free again? (just friends)

Then the other girl said 2 Fridays ago but she had an interview, then I bumped into her later that day and she said she couldn't and we could do it next Tuesday. The day came and she came to class late and since it was a test day I was gone before she got there. We hung out after class last Friday and she said she was bi now people's orientation doesn't bother me but Ive had bad experiences with that type.

I'm not gonna give up though, since I've been having a good time being more social. I've gotta work on he smiling though, haven't been doing it enough.

I really really don't think it's worth pursuing female friends if they aren't willing to at least talk to you openly & a lot. Try asking her when she's free, what does it matter if you seem desperate? Just make sure she's clear you're not looking for more (over time), as long as you're not.

Why are you worried about bi girls? Don't let past experiences ruin potential.

Met a girl on OKC. We went on a date, and got along. Over the course of the date she told me that she did porn for a few years.

After the date, I went home and frantically tried to find her 'work' online, using a combination of google and what little I knew of her. No luck.

We went on a couple of more dates, and got along real, real well. Now we're officially boyfriend/girlfriend. She told me what her porn alias was, and of course I looked her up. Started watching this video, and about two minutes in I was like "Oh my God, I've seen this video before. I've jerked off to this video before!" How romantic, huh?

Anyways, interestingly enough the porn thing doesn't bother me. Maybe it would have five years ago, but at this point in my life I could really give a shit. Very happy with my new relationship.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

There's definitely something wrong if tons of girls are flaking on you.
That's what I'm thinking. There's only two explanations, either there's something wrong with me, or something wrong with women here in general.

It's not every time, but enough that it's become worrying. I'll usually chat up a girl online, ask her for coffee, she agrees, we set up a time or date, and then either day of or the night before, she texts me with an excuse or another.

Fuck, the girl who I was supposed to go out with tonight, she gave me her phone number and to text her and we can set up a coffee date. We set it up yesterday, and later that night, she texts me back saying she forgot that it was her birthday and she had a skype chat planned with her mom and wasn't sure if she could make it. She offered me a "maybe later that night?", but fuck that. I'd appreciate a either a solid rescheduled time or just straight up tell me she's not interested.

brian

She forgot it was her birthday and her big plans for her special day is to Skype her mom? That's so ridiculous.

Ridiculous excuse aside, at least she sounded interested in still doing something that same night, no? Why not just say "OK" to do something later that night.

That's what I'm thinking. There's only two explanations, either there's something wrong with me, or something wrong with women here in general.

It's not every time, but enough that it's become worrying. I'll usually chat up a girl online, ask her for coffee, she agrees, we set up a time or date, and then either day of or the night before, she texts me with an excuse or another.

Fuck, the girl who I was supposed to go out with tonight, she gave me her phone number and to text her and we can set up a coffee date. We set it up yesterday, and later that night, she texts me back saying she forgot that it was her birthday and she had a skype chat planned with her mom and wasn't sure if she could make it. She offered me a "maybe later that night?", but fuck that. I'd appreciate a either a solid rescheduled time or just straight up tell me she's not interested.

If she suggested you guys meet up 'later that night', I think that's fair. Should've taken her up on that.

One tip for ya: When you ask a girl out for coffee, don't say 'let's get coffee!' and THEN set up a date and time. Say 'Let's meet at the JJ Bean on Main and 14th on Tuesday at 4:00pm'.

Be specific when asking a girl out. Most of them appreciate that shit, and will probably cut down on your chances of getting flaked out on. If she can't make the place and time you propose, she'll 9 times out of 10 propose another time/place. Try it out!

If she suggested you guys meet up 'later that night', I think that's fair. Should've taken her up on that.

One tip for ya: When you ask a girl out for coffee, don't say 'let's get coffee!' and THEN set up a date and time. Say 'Let's meet at the JJ Bean on Main and 14th on Tuesday at 4:00pm'.

Be specific when asking a girl out. Most of them appreciate that shit, and will probably cut down on your chances of getting flaked out on. If she can't make the place and time you propose, she'll 9 times out of 10 propose another time/place. Try it out!
She said she might be available later that night, she didn't give me a sure answer, and I don't make plans on maybes, my feelings are that people should respect my time as much as they do their own, if you're not sure you're available, don't give me a maybe and leave my entire night hanging on it. It's not cool.

That's what I do. I ask something along the lines of let's get coffee, and then we plan something out. No point in throwing out some random time and date if I have no idea where she lives and when she's available. It's just a waste of time. Honestly, if a girl's going to flake out because of that little thing, then she'll flake out over anything, and probably isn't someone I'd want to date in the first place.

No point in throwing out some random time and date if I have no idea where she lives and when she's available.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not one of those guys who plays 'The Game' and uses crazy psychological tactics to manipulate women, but this is one that I do engage in. It's small, but effective.

Just try it out, and see how it serves ya.

As always EO rebounds, this time with a number from a hottie today. We've been flirting back and forth over the last week or so, and with this other girl's insecurities pushing me away from her I was in the mood to cast my net. We'll see if this new girl is just a flirt/sweet by nature or if she wants more.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not one of those guys who plays 'The Game' and uses crazy psychological tactics to manipulate women, but this is one that I do engage in. It's small, but effective.

Just got a text back from my to-be date tonight
sorry to say then don't worry about it. i apologize for being a bit flaky. have a nice wk
Suspicions confirmed. I have to respectfully disagree with you also, doesn't matter how you get the date, if something that little will set them off enough for them to flake out on you, then at the end of the day, they're not people worth spending time on.

I've been wanting to get a girl, but from what I hear from others, it sounds like I don't have a chance right now considering they sound like they don't want to work with someone who doesn't have much. "I'm broke, I don't have a job, car, or license.

Hylian7

I've been wanting to get a girl, but from what I hear from others, it sounds like I don't have a chance right now considering they sound like they don't want to work with someone who doesn't have much. "I'm borke, I don't have a job, car, or license.

If you're in college, you might get a pass on that in come cases.

Just got a text back from my to-be date tonight

Suspicions confirmed. I have to respectfully disagree with you also, doesn't matter how you get the date, if something that little will set them off enough for them to flake out on you, then at the end of the day, they're not people worth spending time on.

The thing you gotta keep in mind is that internet dating is FLAKY. It's the truth. Don't get online looking for a girl if you don't have a thick skin. Girls on these sites get bombarded by messages and dates. Whereas you may send out a few messages and get a response or two, girls on these sites are usually juggling much, much more. So get the date by whatever means necessary and meet her.

Judging the bahavior of someone you've never met in real life is silly. Hell, I'm a great guy, and a kind and caring boyfriend. But I've been guilty of being flaky in the whole online space. It happens. I've been flaked out on as many times as well. The key is that you kinda hafta EXPECT every plan to flake out, and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. It kinda sucks, I know, but as a guy who's dated literally dozens of women from OKC /POF in the past year and a half, I know it to be the truth.

This is a relatively new thing, and for whatever reason people don't behave the same way that they do when they meet someone 'in real life'. Just keep that in mind, be persistent, and don't worry about it. There are great people out there on that site, and you can't always tell who they are at first glance.

Mr.City

I've been texting this girl I met on OKC for the past couple of days and the texts have been thoughtful and engaging, despite her playing the "hard to get" game by sending texts 2-3 hrs later; both added each other on FB, as well.

One problem is that she lives 80 miles from me at a university dorm, and she has no car. Last night I asked her out to come up to the city next week, sort of in a charming and sarcastic way, and she replied "If I'm the around the area I'll let you know". Does this mean she's not interested? Considering that she has no car, I guess she's really limited. What should I say? Should I offer to meet her there or would that be too desperate/aggressive?

Talk about putting the pussy on a pedestal.

Hylian7

Lunch date tomorrow, fuck yeah! On an unrelated note, fuck yeah having no classes tomorrow because my only one got cancelled!

Furio53

I've been texting this girl I met on OKC for the past couple of days and the texts have been thoughtful and engaging, despite her playing the "hard to get" game by sending texts 2-3 hrs later; both added each other on FB, as well.

One problem is that she lives 80 miles from me at a university dorm, and she has no car. Last night I asked her out to come up to the city next week, sort of in a charming and sarcastic way, and she replied "If I'm the around the area I'll let you know". Does this mean she's not interested? Considering that she has no car, I guess she's really limited. What should I say? Should I offer to meet her there or would that be too desperate/aggressive?

1. This is honestly ridiculous. 80 miles? and she doesn't have a car?
2. Do what you want man. It's hard to do, but don't worry about how you're going to come off. The key here is to be confident, no matter which direction you take, if you do it with confidence you'll come off as attractive.
Do. Not. Give. A. Fuck. when you are first meeting girls. If they don't like you, or you're concerned about how you look in her eyes, then to hell with them.

If you love yourself and who you are, you'll find the girl who likes you for you. If they don't, then fuck 'em.

low-G

So another wonderful date. Maybe not feeling this girl as much as some but it was definitely a lot of fun and we agreed to see each other again. All of this is starting to become extremely trivial for me...

I'm actually considering trying to date some semi-dumb/immature but hot girls just for the challenge... (not kidding, this is actually going on in my mind. I'm getting a little bored honestly. Not by the girls but the lack of challenge.)

Agree with this completely. If it doesn't work for her and she's interested and brave she'll suggest something else or say that doesn't work for her.

Setting up specific stuff, even if it takes a little while, has done me wonders, and allows me to put less effort forth myself overall (choosing places I like, places closer to me while being fair).

Some girls LOVE it when guys do this and other girls are just good with it, but it's never a negative thing in my experience to give a very specific time and place.

if something that little will set them off enough for them to flake out on you, then at the end of the day, they're not people worth spending time on.

My date tonight gave a very specific example of cancelling plans with a guy when she 'felt something off'. But she recognized the very tentative and sketchy nature of initial messaging. You are missing opportunities if you don't play these early things just right (for that specific girl). It's one of those things you have to swallow your pride and do.

My friend (who has dated one girl in the last several years) has the same attitude. "If something that small blah blah, it's not worth my time." Sorry but with that attitude you're not going to get anything from anyone and you're just robbing yourself. Anything this 'big' is worth doing right.

As always EO rebounds, this time with a number from a hottie today. We've been flirting back and forth over the last week or so, and with this other girl's insecurities pushing me away from her I was in the mood to cast my net. We'll see if this new girl is just a flirt/sweet by nature or if she wants more.

Awesome, man. Remember these rebounds, recognize the disparity between how you feel when you fail and how you feel when you succeed and adopt some sort of middle ground stable viewpoint. It'll come in time whether you try to do this or not, anyways.

I've been wanting to get a girl, but from what I hear from others, it sounds like I don't have a chance right now considering they sound like they don't want to work with someone who doesn't have much. "I'm broke, I don't have a job, car, or license.

How old are you? Do you live in a city? You should get a driver's license unless you live in a city. The job part doesn't matter to many girls as long as you're ambitious and working on your future in some way. Being broke just makes things difficult for yourself (paying for stuff).

Anyways, that's my take. Girls aren't as hung up about every little thing. They like ambitious guys that don't want to be super lazy though.

Judging the bahavior of someone you've never met in real life is silly. Hell, I'm a great guy, and a kind and caring boyfriend. But I've been guilty of being flaky in the whole online space. It happens. I've been flaked out on as many times as well. The key is that you kinda hafta EXPECT every plan to flake out, and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. It kinda sucks, I know, but as a guy who's dated literally dozens of women from OKC /POF in the past year and a half, I know it to be the truth.

This is a relatively new thing, and for whatever reason people don't behave the same way that they do when they meet someone 'in real life'. Just keep that in mind, be persistent, and don't worry about it. There are great people out there on that site, and you can't always tell who they are at first glance.

I understand the cynical defense mechanism, but I think that's a little extreme myself. Better than being overly sensitive though, I agree.

Playing 'hard to get' by sending texts 2-3 hours later? Are you sitting there waiting for her to text you? Don't you think she might have other stuff to do? There are perfectly awesome girls I put off texting for days at a time because I have something more important to do (or really because I just don't feel like it at the time and I'd rather post on NeoGAF). Doesn't mean I'm playing hard to get.

That's a weird response by her. Maybe she expects some other guy to pick her up and take her somewhere on a date planned before you did and she wasn't clear about it? Just throwing out a theory. I don't think she's uninterested anyways.

I've driven further but only for a girl I was already talking to, was super hot, and was definitely interested in me (that had no car and realistically no way of meeting me any other way). It's not desperate at all and it's not aggressive. It's meeting a girl with no car.

Just make sure you're comfortable with the thought of doing this and you won't be disappointed if she isn't into you in the end.

So I am in a pickle. I met this really cool girl on a dating website, we have a lot in common, got her number, been texting, but she's not exactly the most attractive. She's just average. Part of me wants to take her out cause we've been hitting it off, but I also don't want to waste time and money on someone who, based on her pics, isn't the most attractive girl I've been with.

Hylian7

So I am in a pickle. I met this really cool girl on a dating website, we have a lot in common, got her number, been texting, but she's not exactly the most attractive. She's just average. Part of me wants to take her out cause we've been hitting it off, but I also don't want to waste time and money on someone who, based on her pics, isn't the most attractive girl I've been with.

Are the pics from her profile the ONLY thing you have? If so, don't base it purely on that. At least meet her in person first. If you still don't want to date her, you never have to see her again after that.

Just remember, it could turn out BETTER than you think. I have sort of the same situation, but I can't really tell much because she only has one picture. I meet her for the first time tomorrow. I had a date once with a girl that looked fairly attractive on OKC, and then in person she was even MORE attractive. So things turned out for the better there.

Damn, we men are pretty shallow. I realize that, despite not being the most attractive person, I still constantly judge women on their looks...

But this isn't something I want to derail the thread with, so all I have to say is this:

Try and spend time with her and see if you enjoy it. Remember - what Mother Nature giveth, Father Time taketh away. And that's important to remember in looking for a long term relationship.

Banglish

<--Junior
Are we allowed to talk about sex in this thread?
Im not talking about some penthouse stuff, has to do with.. virginity and such. Like, my own.

Truth101

Banned
Damn, we men are pretty shallow. I realize that, despite not being the most attractive person, I still constantly judge women on their looks...

But this isn't something I want to derail the thread with, so all I have to say is this:

Try and spend time with her and see if you enjoy it. Remember - what Mother Nature giveth, Father Time taketh away. And that's important to remember in looking for a long term relationship.

I don't think it is shallow to want to date a beautiful or good looking woman.

My date tonight gave a very specific example of cancelling plans with a guy when she 'felt something off'. But she recognized the very tentative and sketchy nature of initial messaging. You are missing opportunities if you don't play these early things just right (for that specific girl). It's one of those things you have to swallow your pride and do.

My friend (who has dated one girl in the last several years) has the same attitude. "If something that small blah blah, it's not worth my time." Sorry but with that attitude you're not going to get anything from anyone and you're just robbing yourself. Anything this 'big' is worth doing right.
I see what you're saying, but still, I feel that if a girl decides to cancel plans because I texted her about the time and place wrong, then honestly, fuck her. I really don't think I'd be missing out on much, I'd just be missing out on a headcase.

If I can't be on equal terms with a girl, then she's not a girl worth dating to me. If I have to play stupid games to get her, then it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom