• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty stoic guy and I chocked up bad when Rue died. Granted, I never read the book and came in with no expectations for the characters, but these people can seriously go fuck off. I'm glad the world that's emerging is a place where dipshits like this will struggle to survive and will be licking the boots of their intellectual superiors

There's really nothing to get.

If they tried to sum up why they hate they'd make just as much sense after as before. Hate is senseless.

It's classic othering. Have poor self esteem? Lift yourself up by objectifying and belittling the other. The other is different. What is the most noticeable difference? Three guesses.

Stereotypical example: when my father gave me "the talk," he described the white people of his time and place (the South in the fifties) saying " we may be poor white trash, but at least we aint black! "

Okay. And the reason he mentioned black was because the actress is black. Do you think the tweets by these people are upset that they didn't find a middle eastern or asian type brown to fill the role? Also what masud said, he didn't even mention black, you did. Huh.

no, he mentioned italians and middle eastern people can't have dark brown skin. I'm saying sure they can, hence i take offense, there are many people with dark brown skin. Their nationality or where they live is irrelevant.

I blame the author on this one. Dark skinned can be anything from African black to southern Asians, Indians, and Pacific islander.
Should've gone with negro if he intended the character to be black.
Just to be specific.

G-Fex

I already talked about this earlier on the stream a bit.

But I hate reading these tweets, it reminds of that Stormfront site and it's garbage.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Black people are upset? Where? I must get on the opposing side of that argument!

Yeeeepppppp.

I can't actually say overtly racist stuff on the forum, so I'll just play devil's advocate troll on every single thread I see remotely having to do with racism.

It's classic othering. Have poor self esteem? Lift yourself up by objectifying and belittling the other. The other is different. What is the most noticeable difference? Three guesses.

Stereotypical example: when my father gave me "the talk," he described the white people of his time and place (the South in the fifties) saying " we may be poor white trash, but at least we aint black! "
For being raised in Kansas I never really noticed race. I mean I could see that people had different shades, but one of those shades came in the form of a whole string of my cousins Caucasian/Latino mix, another string of cousins Caucasian/Black mix, an adopted cousin of Thai descent, my adopted niece Ty again black. Hell my lineage is filled with Cheyenne and Sioux.

People are people. We come in lots of shades, but not a damn one of them is better than the other. All of that in my bloodline and I'm damn near albino. Fucking genetics how do they work?

SmokyDave

If 'dark skin' doesn't describe black, what does?

Darker skin? Darkest skin? Do they need to come out and say "oh yeah, this chick is black. Like, proper black."?

Regardless, what a pathetic thing to get riled up about.

If 'dark skin' doesn't describe black, what does?

Darker skin? Darkest skin? Do they need to come out and say "oh yeah, this chick is black. Like, proper black."?

Regardless, what a pathetic thing to get riled up about.

I'm stealing "proper black" from you Dave.

They can have dark skin sure. But dark brown skin? Meaning there skin is the color dark brown? No. The black girl they cast doesnt even have dark brown skin.
Some Italians still have Arab skin. Meaning its that dark brown pigment. Albeit, not common anymore.
hell, my Italian neighbor is an Italian immigrant. Dude had that dark brown skin pigmentation.
"Dat big black beautiful body" shouldve been rue's description.

Some Italians still have Arab skin. Meaning its that dark brown pigment. Albeit, not common anymore.
hell, my Italian neighbor is an Italian immigrant. Dude had that dark brown skin pigmentation.

I'm not sure how to exclaim it, but you got me giggling fiercely. Not terrible comfortable with that describing a kid myself, but hey I try not to judge.

You just solved racism.
Hey he tried mother fucker!

Shit is hard work.

SmokyDave

I'm stealing "proper black" from you Dave.

Yeah, no worries :) It's useful for warning people that a fictional character may not share the same levels of melanin that they do. Avoids that crushing disappointment, y'know?

The best I've heard is "why did they pick a black guy to play Blade?". Um.......

According to the racist handbook my great grandfather had it has to be described as ebony.
Oh, of course!

Gotta dig that handbook back out and brush up on my terms.

masud

Banned

No most Arabs are light brown at best. Bynum is brown. Dark brown is darker than that.

masud

Banned
Nearly half of the Arab world is on the African continent.
What's your definition of light brown?
Rick fox?

Yes Rick Fox is light brown. I myself am light brown. So when I hear the term 'dark brown' used to describe someone I expect them to be darker than me. Ive never met an Italian darker than me.
Dark_brown.PNG

First google image result for dark brown.

SmokyDave

Shit really? If they question why he wasnt british, thats one thing, but not black?
Yup. I wasn't being trolled either, the guy had no idea the comics existed and just thought Blade was too badass to be black. How does that even make sense?

I miss him in a 'stupid things your co-workers say' kinda way.

Yup. I wasn't being trolled either, the guy had no idea the comics existed and just thought Blade was too badass to be black. How does that even make sense?

I miss him in a 'stupid things your co-workers say' kinda way.

it'll hapen again when they reveal Michonne in the walking dead, especially after how they introduced her.

I can't wait to see the comments.

tribal24

Banned
when i first read the description of her character, i instantly knew she was black it was only mentioned that she had the same demeanor as prim. im gonna assume people misread and thought it said she looked like prim, and definately racist shit on twitter.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
People always surprise me in that regard.
I mean, have a look:
images

indian-kids-12319f.jpg

These are both brown skinned children. Although, according to the logic applied here by some people, one of these groups is not brown, and should be classified as black, just black. But what makes one group of these children black, and makes the other brown? I'll tell you, arbitrary classifications with no merit, forged centuries ago to empower the agenda of colonialists.
Unless you checked the source urls, you wouldn't automatically know which photo is that of a group of African children, and which one is that of Indian children.
This is what the world is like, people of all continents come in different shades/features. Why can't we celebrate it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I already talked about this earlier on the stream a bit.

But I hate reading these tweets, it reminds of that Stormfront site and it's garbage.
Remember that OT thread from not too long ago where we discovered that we had a handful of Stormfront members among us copy/pasting arguments between that site and this one?

After skimming this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in here too.

Rootbeer

Banned
I read the book before the film and knew both of those characters were black. The tributes are drawn from all across Panem which is made up of what is today North America (mostly the USA)... of course there are going to be people of many different ethnic backgrounds... I think it's sad that people feel they have to espouse this kind of thing over Twitter.

Truth is though, you can build a controversy like this by sifting through tweets very easily. There's plenty of controversy to be had on an infinite number of topics by a savvy blogger or a reporter looking for a story that's sure to spark outrage and a lot of hits for their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom