• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Damn it people, why are we still trying to assign race based on the exact shade of skin people have? Stop fucking doing it, it makes you look as stupid as the racists themselves.

Nesotenso

People always surprise me in that regard.
I mean, have a look:
images

indian-kids-12319f.jpg

These are both brown skinned children. Although, according to the logic applied here by some people, one of these groups is not brown, and should be classified as black, just black. But what makes one group of these children black, and makes the other brown? I'll tell you, arbitrary classifications with no merit, forged centuries ago to empower the agenda of colonialists.
Unless you checked the source urls, you wouldn't automatically know which photo is that of a group of African children, and which one is that of Indian children.
This is what the world is like, people of all continents come in different shades/features. Why can't we celebrate it?

The description of the character doesn't seem to be detailed in the book. But they could have cast any POC, be it South Asian/Indian or Black because it is clear-cut that the character is not white.

Rootbeer

Banned
Damn it people, why are we still trying to assign race based on the exact shade of skin people have? Stop fucking doing it, it makes you look as stupid as the racists themselves.
Well we can argue about the fact that the skin tone alone does not identify their race, and it doesn't, but I think it's safe to assume since the actors in the film are african and surely they consulted the author about this. I mean, I know I would have if I were in charge.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Uh, yeah, you would.
Damn.
I sincerely wouldn't be able to say.
I'd really like to know how you know that this one :
indian-kids-12319f.jpg

Is the one with the Indian children.
And that this one:
images

is the one of African children.
Don't see any features that would suggest to this being the case myself, at all.

Cels

Damn.
http://www.indiatalkies.com/images/indian-kids-12319f.jpg
And that this one:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...z1CRy41PY-L1--KkCLnePiSXNtbHlA7psZYa3aP1xf5xA
Don't see any features that would suggest to this being the case myself, at all.

The first picture has kids wearing Indian clothing. Hence they are most likely Indian, and not African.

neoanarch

Damn.
indian-kids-12319f.jpg

And that this one:
images

Let me guess the second group of children are jewish ethiopians? Ethiopia is actually a really interesting case study in migration. They are more closely related to caucasians from the middle east/indian sub continent than they are to their neighbors.

Dead Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race
The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, Western Asia (the Middle East), Central Asia and South Asia.[2] Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone.

It does not mean the same as 'White', well, it didn't used to.

Kabouter

Damn.
indian-kids-12319f.jpg

And that this one:
images

Subtle differences in facial features I suppose, it's hard to pinpoint exactly. If I had to guess, the African children are East-African. City I live in has a lot of people who came here from East-Africa (mainly Somalia).

Let me guess the second group of children are jewish ethiopians? Ethiopia is actually a really interesting case study in migration. They are more closely related to caucasians from the middle east/indian sub continent than they are to their neighbors.
The internet seems to think they are from the Socotra Islands, which are people from the Y-DNA Haplogroup J*, while Jewish Ethiopians are in J1. So, very close.

Wikipedia said:
Haplogroup J* includes all of J except for J1 and J2. J* is rarely found outside of the island of Socotra, where it is quite frequent at 71.4%.[2] Haplogroup J* also has been found with lower frequency in Oman,[3] Ashkenazi Jews,[4] Pakistan,[5] Saudi Arabia,[6] Greece,[3] the Czech Republic,[3][7] and several Turkic peoples.[8][9][10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_J_(Y-DNA)

I find it annoying when people are uber selective with photos chosen specifically to help prove their point. Even so, I guess I've inadvertently proven it true (unless the internet is wrong -Sacrébleu!!) because those who posted that they could identify the African children were incorrect, as neither group are African. Edit: I think people only identified the Indian children, so...

The entire concept of race is outdated and plain wrong. Any system or method that tries to classify humans into groups inevitably breaks down.

We should just use a colour chart.

Felix_von_Luschan_Skin_Color_Chart.JPG

Or just completely forget about trying to classify humans into groups, but I have a feeling that people like their classifications in most cases.

JGS

Banned
The entire concept of race is outdated and plain wrong. Any system or method that tries to classify humans into groups inevitably breaks down.
Although I agree with this I do think describing by color is great. It's the quickest way to narrow someone down.

In the book, Katniss describes people in a natural way that removes the racial undertones, but describes what they look like. She's not color blind but she is race blind so it's odd that the books fans would not actually like Katniss' view of things.

Incidentally, I was checking Deviantart for stuff prior to the movie and most drawings basically have Rue & Thresh as black (Rue is occasionally shown with Latin features) & Cinna is a white, brunette green eyed man which is how I pictured him. However, it's not a travesty to use Kravitz in the role.

Zaptruder

Banned
We should just use a colour chart.

Felix_von_Luschan_Skin_Color_Chart.JPG

Or just completely forget about trying to classify humans into groups, but I have a feeling that people like their classifications in most cases.

"Rhea, was a couple shades lighter than her companion - shade 23 vs shade 25. They were close enough that any potential offspring would be right smack dab in the middle at shade 24."

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Subtle differences in facial features I suppose, it's hard to pinpoint exactly. If I had to guess, the African children are East-African. City I live in has a lot of people who came here from East-Africa (mainly Somalia).

Good eye you have there. You know your stuff. I found the photo from searching east-african children on google. *golfclap*

EVIL

don't see the problem, she is written as dark brown skinned and is played by a dark brown skinned girl.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This reminds me of the CJ fiasco in GTA: San Andreas when people were saying that they didn't know if they could use a black person in a game. The outcry was hilarious and sad at the same time.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Yes Rick Fox is light brown. I myself am light brown. So when I hear the term 'dark brown' used to describe someone I expect them to be darker than me. Ive never met an Italian darker than me.
Dark_brown.PNG

First google image result for dark brown.

qrfQk.png

I don't see anyone complaining that Nick Fury is dark brown-skinned. Maybe if Rue was played by Samuel L. Jackson this wouldn't even be an issue. ...
Now we need a GIF with Bish shopped onto Rue's face.

By the way, what's the average age of all these Hungry Game fans? We might be able to chalk their idiocy up to them being ignorant kids.

they should have been japanese to be true to the original material

+1.

Onemic

Remember that OT thread from not too long ago where we discovered that we had a handful of Stormfront members among us copy/pasting arguments between that site and this one?

After skimming this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in here too.

Wait, what? Link?

bengraven

What's really sad is when African American people prejudice against themselves. "I don't date dark skinned people". "Hey, you see that little light skinned girl?"

Tenck

The Asian guy "HOW IS RUE A BLACK BITCH................HEHEHE NOT RACIST"

I was actually going to read the books soon because the hype around them now that the movie previews are shown, but this has peaked my interest even more.

Damn.
indian-kids-12319f.jpg

And that this one:
images

It was pretty easy to see the difference, IMO.

Truth is though, you can build a controversy like this by sifting through tweets very easily. There's plenty of controversy to be had on an infinite number of topics by a savvy blogger or a reporter looking for a story that's sure to spark outrage and a lot of hits for their site.

True, but it was still pretty jarring. I guess I am not sensitized because I don't play multiplayer games or visit 4chan anymore. But I agree, in fact my GF and I were discussing how we would probably be appalled if we started searching for racially weighted words.

sangreal

Damn.
indian-kids-12319f.jpg

And that this one:
images

Trick question? Those girls aren't from Africa, they're from Socotra (an Island which is part of Yemen)

I just powered through all three books this past week (except the last half of Mockingjay, so I'm still treading lightly online). I know I've been beaten to hell and back, but:

-I absolutely pictured Rue and Thresh as black (and southern)

-Cinna I guess was black, too, or maybe more racially ambiguous. Actually, a very light skinned black guy with a shaved head and all dress shirts, kinda metro is what I pictured. He was a little more visually vague to me, I guess... for Rue I was sort of picturing someone I really know.

- (also beaten, but) Upon opening this thread and seeing the OP, I was immediately struck by the fact Gawker felt the need to run Twitter screencaps through Instagram, what the hell.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This reminds me of the CJ fiasco in GTA: San Andreas when people were saying that they didn't know if they could use a black person in a game. The outcry was hilarious and sad at the same time.
heh that shit really takes me back. It was around that time I started to browse internet forums for the first time ever. I thought the internet was a wonderful place created by wonderful imaginative people, then I slowly started to see the dark underbelly of the web. I was very naive back then... but that GTA controversy changed my entire perspective of the net and the people who inhabit it.

IceCold

I agree but just to play devil's advocate here:

Couldn't someone claim that the differences in our phenotype (mainly skin colour and bone structure) a result of the homo sapiens having sub species (races)? Like if you look at other animals like frogs. Many of them look the same but based on their color and size they are classified as being different species.

I agree but just to play devil's advocate here:

Couldn't someone claim that the differences in our phenotype (mainly skin colour and bone structure) a result of the homo sapiens having sub species (races)? Like if you look at other animals like frogs. Many of them look the same but based on their color and size they are classified as being different species.

It's a fair question. IIRC, scientifically, two healthy individuals are of the same species if they can mate and produce fertile offspring. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist. Thus, all humans are the same species. Extinct species are classified a bit differently.

The concept of race has traditionally implied biological differences beyond appearance. There really aren't any genes that work that way. That's what we mean when we say race is skin deep.

DangerStepp

I admit that I didn't catch that Rue was black when I read the book.

So it made for a nice little surprise when I saw the movie.

As for the absurd behavior of the people in the OP with the Instagram'd Tweets--I don't get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom