• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

Owzers

Gamefly is awesome. Renting games i awesome. Backwards Compatibility is awesome, especially digital content.

Might not be any next-gen consoles for me, just a Wii U.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ibib9TlUt53Uo2.png

ibwhFkUOUDaT6s.jpg

ipiPqPG35jksj.jpg

CAN'T WAIT!

monome

Good luck on getting decent-looking games at 4k resolution. 2560x1600 is considered high end in the PC market of gaming, and that is pretty costly in terms of GPU power. 4k? On a Southern Islands GPU?

Dual strategy :

games at 1080p (hopefully)
movies and pics at 4K.

Blu-ray supports 4K movies which makes it possbile to see 3D movies at 1080p.

MrPliskin

Banned
Of all the companies who would go "anti-used", Sony is the one I think would usher in that "era". They're a sinking ship, so to speak, and will claw tooth and nail to stay afloat. Too bad this could be the cannon ball that does them in...if true.

UberTag

Anywho the lack of BC I can handle, I plan on keeping my PS3 just hope it doesnt YLOD. The used game thing is pretty bullshit but it sounds like MS is doing the same thing so what the hell can we do. Hey at least PS4 seems to still be disc based.
The hilarious part would be if Microsoft baits Sony into adopting an anti-used game practice and then reveals in the 11th hour before both consoles launch that having an active Xbox LIVE Gold membership will grant immediate access to any used games a customer wishes to play (so long as it's active - similar to how PlayStation Plus works with its giveaway content).

Use XBL subscriptions as a trojan horse to facilitate access to used games while still preserving BC with X360 titles and access to all previously purchased content. Not sure how Sony would be able to react to that.

The other scenario I could see playing out would be if GameStop (and ONLY GameStop) is able to sell used games with immediate full game access attached as a result of a Microsoft/GameStop partnership. They'll bundle in activation tokens with used games when you buy them second-hand from them directly.

frequency

I'm thinking at my little table where my consoles sit.
I don't have room for another console. I already have my Wii standing on top of my PS2. I just... damnit Sony. I don't have the physical space to have THREE Sony consoles on my table.

And yes, I'm still playing PS2 games pretty regularly.

I already had to put away my other consoles.

I hate this no backwards compatibility thing.

But at least now if I dislike the other features (this stupid always online thing), then I can justify dropping the Sony brand. If it has no BC, it really has no connection with the previous console so I have no incentive to really stay on with them. I don't care at all about trophies and stuff like that so...

GQman2121

Banned
I will be purchasing a souped up master race PC if the no BC part turns out to be true.

The used games part or always having to be online is clearly bull shit to get people talking. That's a hot topic issue that that has no basis in reality.

farco1212

Neo Member
If these anti-used games rumors are true, I really hope Apple comes in with some console equivalent and stomps the shit of Sony & Microsoft.

They need to embrace their hardcore consumers and provide value to them, not make complicated anti-used game schemes to marginally increase sales of $60 games.

The big 3 aren't just competing with themselves anymore. PC gaming and services like OnLive are making better alternatives to console gaming and are becoming increasingly more accessible to Joe Gamer.

I'll probably switch over to the master race next gen if they can't get it right.

/rant

mik83kuu

Banned
The paste bin stuff is seriously flawed. I loved the bit where he dodges the self-imposed question about how he has this information. How exactly would an unemployed student get this information?

Mario007

Why are people so anti-used games, when they then go on crying in every thread that a developer either shuts down on turns its attention on the mobile gaming market?

Also think about it, without used games retailers are more likely to stock budget re-releases of the games. I'd much rather pay for a Platinum range game for 20 euros half a year later than a pre-used game for 17 euro half a year later.

zlatko

Banned
Unless the initial price for games drops to $40.00 for new for everything on this, then I'm outtie. I do a TON of game renting for SP games that are short, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

I'll wait till the PS4 bombas at it's $799 price tag.

So if this should be released in 2013, doesn't this mean that at E3, we will get..

- a re-unveiling of the Wii U
- possible two announcements of new consoles set for 2013, one from MS and one from Sony

7eaNY.gif

Sony said themselves they wouldn't be revealing anything at this E3.

Microsoft, however...

alr1ght

I think the problem is all these devs are seeing how much mobile gaming has exploded and thinking, "Consumers don't mind not being able to sell their games or rent them! Look at mobile gaming! Look at Steam!" The problem with this comparison is that people buy these games for either $1-$2 or they buy them when they're on super sale in Steam's case more often than not. People are much more keen to buy 30 games over the course of a few months for their iPhone that they can't re-sell than they are to buy 1 game for their home system that they're absolutely eternally locked to.

Just like there isn't a market for movies and CDs that can only be used by one person, there isn't one for console games. It's a terrible idea.

Pretty much. I'll drop $10 on a game on steam or PSN because there isn't really much risk involved in it should it be garbage. If they think people are going to drop $60 on an unknown title with no recourse to get some of their money back, they're mistaken. This will kill all middle tier games for good.

george_us

I almost want Sony and MS to implement an anti-used games system. That way I don't have to bother spending $800 on both their systems and I can just stick with a WiiU.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Good luck on getting decent-looking games at 4k resolution. 2560x1600 is considered high end in the PC market of gaming, and that is pretty costly in terms of GPU power. 4k? On a Southern Islands GPU?

it says capable of outputting.

probably video and some 2d psn games "just for show"......

Majanew

Banned
Why are people so anti-used games, when they then go on crying in every thread that a developer either shuts down on turns its attention on the mobile gaming market?

Also think about it, without used games retailers are more likely to stock budget re-releases of the games. I'd much rather pay for a Platinum range game for 20 euros half a year later than a pre-used game for 17 euro half a year later.

Because without the used game market, sales for new games wouldn't be so high. A lot of people trade games in for credit towards new games. MS and Sony will find out the hard way as will these foolish publishers/developers.

Duxxy3

If the next Xbox and the ps4 are anti sharing then I have no reason to get either. I'll just upgrade my pc a little.

The huge resistance to used games going away is in regards to maintains reasonable prices, I get that.

But, and this is a big "but" considering some of the practices we've seen in the digital pricing this gen (keep in mind again that this is everyone's first crack at this), that if next generation the console guys can get it right in the pricing space (and I'm talking Steam levels of "right"), this would be a great thing.

I mean what was it GameStop reported like $1.2b profit in used sales for 2011 recently (it was some ungodly amount with a huge return on sales is all I specifically remember).

What about living in a world where we can shift these profits to the actual creators of games instead of GameStop (there's is a debate to be had here in terms of game sales increasing the "pie" of overall game sales, but that's a larger discussion). I don't know a single person that enjoys going to Gamestop or thinks of them as a great company, so why should we line their pockets. If the publishers and console holders can get their pricing models correct, they can reap the benefits of this and we can also enjoy similar, or even better, pricing at the same time.

If it works for Steam then why not everyone else?

Sony said themselves they wouldn't be revealing anything at this E3.

Microsoft, however...

What else do you expect companies to say? They'll announce new products when they announce them. But they aren't going say "hey, we're going to announce the ps4 in a few months, but shhhhh, please don't tell anyone I told you!"

The ps3 was revealed e3 2005 and launched holiday 2006.

ibwhFkUOUDaT6s.jpg

ipiPqPG35jksj.jpg

CAN'T WAIT!

Makes sense. The "battle for the living room" is in full swing. Sony can't simply release a new, more powerful PlayStation and expect people to buy it on that merit alone. It's gotta have social features that appeal to the whole family.

To the hardcore gamer, that sounds like blasphemy, but you're not gonna get your grubby hands on a new console otherwise.

Omega

Banned
I always said it would get to the point once online passes started showing up.

People just told me "who cares, that only affects used game buyers who don't support the developer"

What about just letting a friend borrow a game for him to see if he likes it, then he goes out and buys one? I don't think publishers understand just how much this hurts the industry. Sad how they want to force this shit on us while also making overpriced 1 hour DLCs and complain how used games are hurting them.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the anti-used games policy is kinda logical. We are not the only people who read the financial results of Gamestop and think "hey they make a lot off money from used games!!!!". And it's not fair to put this solely on Sony and Microsoft. I reckon the whole industry is putting pressure on them.

pestul

I think it could pull off a few games at 4k with some modifications and a MLAA derivative over MSAA. AA and highrez textures at that rez are what really kills performance. I think a solid 7970 can handle 4k games pretty good with MLAA though I might be off base. You definitely have to sacrifice quality somewhere though.

I guess I cant even bring over a copy of game to a friend's house so that me and a bunch of buddies can play. I gotta bring my console, instead.

I love some of the people saying they'll drop consoles and either leave or move to PC if anti-used becomes a reality next gen.

PC has been anti-used since forever, using serial numbers to tie software to single or multiple computers? It works fine, and allows digital copies to be sold for practically nothing and still be profitable, which is very pro consumer (look at steam or amazon sales for example).

Also, no one knows the full extent of the system. For all we know, each copy could have a 1-3 system activation rate, to merely put a damper on used games while still allowing people to resell their copies. Perhaps you can deactivate your serial number on your account (just as you can deactivate your PS3 from your PSN) to allow it to be used again (possibly a limited number of times afterwards) so you can not access that game again, but a new account can. Or something else along those lines.

While this does not seem good for companies like Redbox/Gamestop/etc, we have no idea how any of this is actually going to turn out so all the doomsayers are completely ridiculous.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
"If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date."

Sounds like Steam. It is a good balance between going all DD and fighting used games while rewarding new game buyers with full install and no need for a disc. Of course if you like to trade your games in then you will get less due to the activation key for the next guy, but devs need to make money not just GS.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The used game thing really just depends on how much it costs to "activate" them. I don't buy many used games, in the cases I do it's ones that are ridiculously expensive for new copies. Don't really like the idea of spending $20 on a used game and having to drop an additional $15 to get it activated.

No BC is also pretty terrible with the faulty hardware this generation. There's no guarantee at all that I'll be able to play my PS3 games in 5-10 years.

If anything, it certainly going to help me with my goal of going PC+WiiU+portables only.

And regarding those specs, you can't make any assumptions from them. Southern Islands could also refer to a GPU even weaker than what's in the PS3/360. AMD has been making 64 bit CPUs since like 2005.

http://orbis.scedev.net/

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0

And knowing Sony's penchant for hardware iterations, a 150€ PS3 mega slim ain't far fetched and should alleviate most BC lovers until the most requested games are reprogrammed for AMD chips.

Sony abandonning NVIDIA was called on a long time ago, I don't understand the surprised reactions.
Holy smokes @ that pastebin article. Those crappy PS4 specs seem suspect but he got the codename right so I dunno. The Xbox 3 looks like a behemoth.

alr1ght

I think the anti-used games policy is kinda logical. We are not the only people who read the financial results of Gamestop and think "hey they make a lot off money from used games!!!!". And it's not fair to put this solely on Sony and Microsoft. I reckon the whole industry is putting pressure on them.

"Instead of coming up with a solution, let's fuck our customers!"

Top Bottom