• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

I thought I'd make it a bit clearer what someone was pointing out with Commanderdeeks avatar. I didn't put a beard on her this time, I just worked with what was already there. I carefully removed some of the flowers and...

6U399.png

hamchan

Can you recommend any recent-ish j-dramas that aren't about love tragedies that make chicks cry? I wouldn't mind watching some for learning purposes.

I think there was a recent drama about war which is supposed to be really good, but it's like 200 episodes or something...

I haven't really been keeping up the J-drama scene for a few years now sorry. I don't really remember many non-romance dramas I liked a lot. It's quite old but watch GTO if you haven't seen it, or just rewatch it again.

Can you recommend any recent-ish j-dramas that aren't about love tragedies that make chicks cry? I wouldn't mind watching some for learning purposes.

I think there was a recent drama about war which is supposed to be really good, but it's like 200 episodes or something...

I've heard Jin is pretty good. Its about a surgeon who is transported back in time to feudal Japan. I haven't seen it yet, but eeeeveryone is recommending it.

Omikron

So I picked up Crusader Kings II from the Amazon DD sale thingy for $18. No longer have to just watch youtube videos of the game.

Also, dipping my foot into Paradox games post a disastrous HoI experience.

Deeku

Oooh that does sound cool shan! And the war one I was talking about is called Ohisama.

I hate you danoss. You should use your photoshop skills for good! Not evil.

Danoss

Ex posts happy smily pics on facebook, now all depressed and things. Sigh.

I'll never understand this.

Call her an ugly smelly cow and move on. Better yet, delete her off Facebook and forget her. Better still, delete your Facebook account.

I hate you danoss. You should use your photoshop skills for good! Not evil.

I'm not the one who originally mentioned it. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed it yet. Also, she looks like she's smelling a leaf, who does that?

"Look at this lovely Orchid"

"Nah, fuck that, check these leaves out!"

Shaneus

I expected it to be awful and schmaltzy but instead it is mostly pretty good with Zooey being that dream girl that doesn't exist in the real world.
And with that, I've called off the search :(

Oh guys. In case you have a copy of The Saboteur for PS3 or 360 that you haven't played yet, you may wish to redeem your Midnight Club code as it becomes invalid pretty fucking soon. If you have a copy with no code, that's good! I think I have a spare from when I bought the game, registered a code, traded it in then bought it again on the cheap. For 360.

Ydahs

So I've spent literally hundreds of hours this summer alone working so bloody hard on my website, hoping that it'll continue to grow and please my users, as well as compete against my competitor. Many of you know of it and know that I've put some effort into it. Read on, this isn't an advertisement.

How far off am I from this competitor? Well, I'm receiving 40K page views a week and he announced last weekend that he received 5.5 million in the same week.

This guy must be doing something right, hey?

Well, I just discovered something that has left me utterly speechless. This competitor's leeching directly off my stats feed. How did I find this? As soon as my server crashed, his stats feed stopped. As soon as my server was back up, his one resumed. This seemed suspicious, so I changed values in my database on the fly and guess what, they reflected on his site.

So this person, who is receiving 5.5 million page views a week (125,000 more than me!), has his own advertising agent and sponsors, is leeching off my site.

Speechless.

Oh and I have screenshots which reflect this.

Kritz

Banned
buncha cool stuff

You have access to change information on your competitor's site.

I propose seeing how much you can duplicate across. And in what formats. There's a goat, you see, that is rather popular among anti-leach people.

Danoss

That's terrible Ydahs. I don't know what you can do in terms of getting him busted, but surely you can screw him over right?

Can't you generate a different feed for your app to use (maybe with a key involved somehow, so it can't be stolen in future) and cut him off? Better yet, support the feed he's stealing, but screw around with it. Rename players, mess with the stats, make it look like absolute shit (or include wide open anuses, to put what Kritz said much less delicately). Clearly I'm not down with all the details and whatnot, but you have to be able to nip this in the bud somehow.

Also, what's the difference in page views again? I thought 5.5M - 40K = 5.46M.

Kritz

Banned
I don't know if the offending website is FanFooty or FantasyFootballClub. I'm guessing it isn't the one with "TESTESTESTEST" over their live stats page, although both originate from some guy called M0nty. Or are linked in some way.

I wish you luck, duder.

(I am not an internet detective, also)

Ydahs

Heh, I came back to edit my post out since I hate complaining about things like this and coming across as bitter, but guess it's too late.

I already tried to edit the feed but it seems that he has certain checks on the other side which prevent that (also have screenshots of that in action). It's like he's created his whole parser around my site.

I'm planning to overhaul my stats feed anyway (in fact, my Apps use the new feed, only the site uses the old one).

I think he may be using my site as a backup feed, but it still irritates me.

edit: @kritz, the former of those two sites. Some have already tweeted m0nty showing their disapproval. I'll also not resort to that type of anti-leech revenge you're suggesting :p

I thought I'd make it a bit clearer what someone was pointing out with Commanderdeeks avatar. I didn't put a beard on her this time, I just worked with what was already there. I carefully removed some of the flowers and...

6U399.png

Now it looks like there is green goo coming out of her nose. :/

Danoss

Some have already tweeted m0nty showing their disapproval.

I tweeted @FanFooty in protest for you.

Can't you change player names on them or something? Change famous player names to something else. Put in that some players have already scored 1000 goals for the season and stuff. Surely they've not worked around that.

Maybe when a team list shows up something like

Paul Montgomery
Has A
Small Penis

appears in place of whatever would appear normally.

Can't you change player names on them or something? Change famous player names to something else. Put in that some players have already scored 1000 goals for the season and stuff. Surely they've not worked around that.

Paul Montgomery
Has A
Small Penis

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Salazar

Yo Choc.

I booked a hotel room. Cost was, for a certain period, 55 pounds a night. Usual rate is 86.

I booked for dates encompassing the 55 pounds period. They've charged me the 86 pound a night rate for every night, and they say that it's because that was the rate when I booked.

Am I going to have to break someone's nose ?

Deeku

Nope. I am dumb like that.
Well I hope we've learnt a valuable lesson here!

I dunno, call them up and hassle them about it. If you did book during the promotion period, there is no reason for them to not refund you the difference for those nights.

midonnay

can sports stats be copyrighted?

iirc there were some legal cases in america with fansites v sporting leagues and the fans won.

If it is the same in Australia, your best avenue would probably be sabotage and embarrassment as everyone seems to be suggesting :p

AusGAF VI: No context, just exclamations.
i like it
Guys
Guys
Seriously, Avatar the last airbender is the best thing ever
ugh
if it helps I can take photos of myself pulling various emotions so you can stick the cards on the bottom corner of your TV for reaction shots to shows
YES
BAD MATH
Speechless.
Oh and I have screenshots which reflect this.
thankyou
Just finished the first two episodes of legend of korra. Eeeee ~! Thats all I have to say.
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

also i hate myself for doing this but
birfday.gif

Boken

Banned
Stats themselves cant be copyright (expression of a fact), but the way the information (edit: is presented) can be - as long as much labour has gone into the presentation.

Ydahs

BananaArnie said:
I missed this. I meant that they receive 125,000 times more pageviews them me as 5mil/40K is 125K. My maths isn't that bad! (edit: holy shit, my maths is bad. 125 times more, not 125K)

Paul Montgomery
Has A
Small Penis

Thanks, but I think I'll just settle for a plain old algorithm which protects the stats :p

I'm a big fan of Paul's work, but I'm just disappointed he didn't contact me for assistance.

Stats themselves cant be copyright (expression of a fact), but the way the information can be - as long as much labour has gone into the presentation.
So me scraping the stats off the AFL site isn't illegal, just to be sure? I think I had this discussion with AusGAF when the site was just experimental and it was mentioned that the stats themselves are in the public domain so I can use them. The issue back then was how I retrieved them.

... did I just reword everything you said?

edit:
iirc there were some legal cases in america with fansites v sporting leagues and the fans won.
Did some research on this and you're completely right.

CBC won the lawsuit as U.S. District Court Judge Mary Ann Medler ruled that statistics are part of the public domain and can be used at no cost by fantasy companies.

Darklord

Banned
That awkward moment when you click on a dating site profile and realize it's a manager from your work and they can see who clicked on their profile. ...Dang.

Danoss

Thanks, but I think I'll just settle for a plain old algorithm which protects the stats :p

I'm a big fan of Paul's work, but I'm just disappointed he didn't contact me for assistance.

I'm disappointed. Another website uses your bandwidth, profits from it, and you're going to let them off scott-free?

Paul's work that you're a fan of involves stealing from you. He probably didn't ask because maybe he would have to pay money. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission, right? Except he was stealing. I honestly couldn't say that if someone I admired stole from me, that I would continue to admire them and not make them pay for what they had done.

The reason a lot of people do stuff like this is because many people put up with being trodden on. Here's a real life example of something that happened to a friend of mine, lets call him Jared.

Jared was standing in Church Street Mall, Parramatta, right outside the Hungry Jacks there, it's relatively busy. Some thug walks up to him threateningly and says "Give me your money!" What was he to do? Clearly no-one wants to give their money away, but this thug just doesn't care, doing it in broad daylight. Instead of handing over the money as demanded, Jared speaks very loudly "What's that? You want me to give you all my money right now?!" The guy backs down, considering people nearby are now paying attention, "Nah man, I never said anything like that, I don't know what you're talking about, heh." The thug walks away.

People like that keep doing what they do because people let them. Either that or they comply and afterwards just brush it off like it's not that big of a deal.

What FanFooty stealing pricks did was enough to annoy you to post here, but not enough for you to do anything about it. I think my tweets have accomplished more than what you've done to let them know it's not cool. Stand up for yourself man, don't let people walk on you and take your shit. You manipulated that data into a form that was presentable and someone decided they couldn't be stuffed doing the same and so took all your hard work.

Encrypting it prevents it happening again, but they still did it, why put up with that? What you've done is the equivalent of closing the blinds on a peeping tom staring in your window, instead of going outside and telling them to leave before you beat their skull in.

Ydahs

I'm disappointed. Another website uses your bandwidth, profits from it, and you're going to let them off scott-free?

Paul's work that you're a fan of involves stealing from you. He probably didn't ask because maybe he would have to pay money. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission, right? Except he was stealing. I honestly couldn't say that if someone I admired stole from me, that I would continue to admire them and not make them pay for what they had done.

The reason a lot of people do stuff like this is because many people put up with being trodden on. Here's a real life example of something that happened to a friend of mine, lets call him Jared.

Jared was standing in Church Street Mall, Parramatta, right outside the Hungry Jacks there, it's relatively busy. Some thug walks up to him threateningly and says "Give me your money!" What was he to do? Clearly no-one wants to give their money away, but this thug just doesn't care, doing it in broad daylight. Instead of handing over the money as demanded, Jared speaks very loudly "What's that? You want me to give you all my money right now?!" The guy backs down, considering people nearby are now paying attention, "Nah man, I never said anything like that, I don't know what you're talking about, heh." The thug walks away.

People like that keep doing what they do because people let them. Either that or they comply and afterwards just brush it off like it's not that big of a deal.

What FanFooty stealing pricks did was enough to annoy you to post here, but not enough for you to do anything about it. I think my tweets have accomplished more than what you've done to let them know it's not cool. Stand up for yourself man, don't let people walk on you and take your shit. You manipulated that data into a form that was presentable and someone decided they couldn't be stuffed doing the same and so took all your hard work.

Encrypting it prevents it happening again, but they still did it, why put up with that? What you've done is the equivalent of closing the blinds on a peeping tom staring in your window, instead of going outside and telling them to leave before you beat their skull in.
I understand where you're coming from and I agree. I'm just against the idea of personally attacking someone in such a way since it's just not in my character. I know I may come off as a pussy, but you'll rarely ever catch me insulting someone like that or holding grudges for longer than a day.

But I'll let you know that from the beginning I was planning on appending my site's URL to the start of every player's name which might be a little more effective :)

Chances are he'll have checks up to prevent entries not in his database from appearing, but it's worth a shot.

Shaneus

reptilewhiskeycheers.gif

Darklord

Banned
I decided I'm taking that date to MoVida Bar, Cookie, or Hutong(lol, if I can get one, I'll figure a way) and then 1802, maybe cherry bar, what other bars/places to dance ect are there around there that are good? I just want casual, half the ones I checked were like suits and cocktail dresses styled, but that ain't me. It's confusing as fuck finding these places. If all else fails we can cab it and go to Fitzroy and go to like the provincial hotel. That place was decent.

Uh, hate being up this early, stupid responsibilities!

I decided I'm taking that date to MoVida Bar, Cookie, or Hutong(lol, if I can get one, I'll figure a way) and then 1802, maybe cherry bar, what other bars/places to dance ect are there around there that are good? I just want casual, half the ones I checked were like suits and cocktail dresses styled, but that ain't me. It's confusing as fuck finding these places. If all else fails we can cab it and go to Fitzroy and go to like the provincial hotel. That place was decent.

Uh, hate being up this early, stupid responsibilities!

Toff in Town?

You didn't watch enough Bleach to determine why it went truly bad
Filler arcs and general popularity going to the creators head. Some of the more recent manga has been pretty good but it has gone in a different direction to what I enjoyed in the beginning.

Also everyone should watch the Gungrave anime!!! It is fantastic and only like 15 episodes long!!!!

Omikron

Anime, my preferences generally stick to Ghibli films.

Also, the Ghibli Museum is amazing. A visit to Japan is not complete with out attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom