• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Linkhero1

investor meeting hype rising...

I'm finally done exams, so I now have a bunch of free time. Anyone interested in a E3 2004 Nintendo press conference stream? What's a good time/day for everyone?

I have exams that week =/

I would love a E3 2004 Nintendo stream.

Edit: Saturday evening (PST) for me

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
In this last response he made, he made the remark that his definition of "so huge" corresponded to my definition in my first post. But then he editted it.

Just to clarify, the editing that you're referring to is not a super secret revealed then i retracted myself. It was a bad attempt at a joke involving over-use of "that".
Like: "the that huge that i talk is more that the that huge of this post, but correspond to the other that huge of your former post, it's that huge"
I think i added after "ok, i'm tired", to emphasize the poor quality of my pun.

Note for later: "that-jokes" are bad

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited that it seems Nintendo are going to get details out before E3. I guess Reggie wasn't lying about that after all!
If the system is being renamed, we'll know in a few weeks. Like the early Wii title announcement, it would give third parties time to adjust their marketing materials for E3.
Rösti;36678928 said:
About 14.85 hours until PAX East begins. While I'm not expecting Nintendo to demonstrate Wii U at their booth, it's going to be interesting to know their excuse for not bringing the console. Questions about it, due to PAX East being a public event, are inevitable. Though anything could happen.

http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/PAX_East_2012_Expo_Map.pdf
"Nintendo does not comment on rumours or speculation."

VAPitts

thanks lol, i'm still here, and your message is comforting and avoid me to drink a bottle of wine to drown my sorrow of being doubted by beloved gafers (another french stereotype i guess ?).

But we should thanks every contributors in these threads really, everyone bring something interesting to the table. My over-the-top way to present my information, my teases, my avatar, draw more of the attention and the thanks to me, but a lot of people around here are posting very informative data, opinions, hindsights, and deserve at least the same :)

your right lol. thanks again. i know your info is nonetheless on topic and helpful. unlike post like this:

I think everybody knows that but Nintendo.

doubtful, negative, annoying and troll-like. that doesn't help in ANY way whatsoever but just keep BS flowing like a river.

Your dream brings up an opinion I've been nuturing, WiiRevolution.

I want to see the NSMB series get the axe, at least in it's current form. It always seemed like a cheapening of the SMB brand. The first one on the DS was great in itself. But along with Animal Crossing, they sort of ported both of the series under our noses, expecting the typical Wii consumer not to notice. It just felt so underhanded, that they would try to resell a very similar experience like that.

NSMB is a very generic offshoot, and NSMB Mii only looks to make it even more so, IMO. I mean, look at Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That is the kind of change and creativity I would like to see. So yes, I would love to see cel-shading for the next installment. Not this plastic and characterless style. The gameplay is good, sure. But ehhh...

Anyways, just my small rant. I respect your opinion if you like it, as I speak for myself here.
I lost you at insinuating the Wii NSMB is the same as the DS version. It has a similar artstyle and is a 2D Mario game and that's about the extent of that.

And judging by the fact that the DS and Wii games sold over 20 million copies each, it's not going anywhere.

Interesting that Edge would tease a Miyamoto Mii.
I doubt its Tomadachi Collection so an interview is likely. And its not unreasonable to expect Wii U teases.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt its Tomadachi Collection so an interview is likely. And its not unreasonable to expect Wii U teases.
Tomodachi Collection crossed my mind. That would be a hilarious twist. If it were that game, shouldn't it be a Sakamoto Mii?
But let's be real, there's no way a Tomodachi Collection localization, or even sequel, would be Edge's cover story.

On another note, it's utterly insane that Nintendo never brought it to America.

On another note, it's utterly insane that Nintendo never brought it to America.

The game was largely designed around voice synthesis, which works far better for a purely phonetic language like Japanese. Same reason why Tetra's Trackers was removed from Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube, IIRC.

Sorry if this has already been asked but why on earth was herzogzwei1989 banned?

And why are we possibly expecting more info soon (assuming we're not talking about the Investor's meeting)

VAPitts

Sorry if this has already been asked but why on earth was herzogzwei1989 banned?

And why are expecting more info soon (assuming we're not talking about the Investor's meeting)

well i'm not gonna say i know for sure, but what i do know is if u read his posts up to when he was banned, the guy was basically asking for new info every post. he was like a junkie feenin for dope. poor guy, he's obsessed with it.

Hiltz

Nintendo will probably just bring the same tech demos if Wii U is present at PAX. That is, assuming the Big N is attending the event.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

And why are expecting more info soon (assuming we're not talking about the Investor's meeting)

Was he/she also known as Camminet (spelling)?

TunaLover

I believe IdeaMan said they're reserved for the OS at this point.

I though you could access to that reserved RAM if you are in the game, since menu functions aren't used. If they are indeed reserved I think Nintendo will make multitasking, for example showing a "gamefaq" in the subscreen while playing a game, or speaking with friends online while playing, etc...

Hoo-doo

Banned

And why are we possibly expecting more info soon (assuming we're not talking about the Investor's meeting)

He went a bit crazy in the rumor threads. Double posting with bolded, all-caps sentences and giant images.

Rösti;36678928 said:
About 14.85 hours until PAX East begins. While I'm not expecting Nintendo to demonstrate Wii U at their booth, it's going to be interesting to know their excuse for not bringing the console. Questions about it, due to PAX East being a public event, are inevitable. Though anything could happen.

http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/PAX_East_2012_Expo_Map.pdf
How about the fact that they only have like 10 demo stations that they hand-made for last year's E3, and those 10 stations would have 6 hour long lines, with demos not representative of final games? It's not like they'd be bringing brand new stations with brand new demos, that kind of stuff is rarely shown off at PAX, and never by Nintendo. PAX isn't seen by developers as a media announcement event.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How about the fact that they only have like 10 demo stations that they hand-made for last year's E3, and those 10 stations would have 6 hour long lines, with demos not representative of final games? It's not like they'd be bringing brand new stations with brand new demos, that kind of stuff is rarely shown off at PAX, and never by Nintendo. PAX isn't seen by developers as a media announcement event.

Some do.

Wasn't Duke Nukem Forever in its final form revealed at PAX?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo will probably just bring the same tech demos if Wii U is present at PAX. :(
Any Wii U demonstrations at PAX East would be interesting, as that would be the first time the system is available to the public. When I come to think about it, the roadmap of Wii U news is rather similar to that of Nintendo Revolution/Wii:

Nintendo Revolution/Wii

GDC 2005: Mr. Iwata gives a keynote and talks a bit about Nintendo Revolution, announcing hardware partners and some Wi-fi details.

E3 2005: Nintendo Revolution is unveiled. Not much is revealed apart from the Virtual Console and that the controller will be very special, and also that when you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say, "Wow".

Tokyo Game Show 2005: The remote controller for Nintendo Revolution is unveiled, eight demos available.

May 2006: The first Wii game, Red Steel, is shown in the May issue of Game Informer.

Wii U

April 25th, 2011: Following heavy rumors about Project Café, Nintendo issues a press release stating that a new system will be released in 2012, and that a playable model will be shown at E3 2011: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

E3 2011: Wii U is unveiled, people are confused and hilarity ensues when people think footage of Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 games looks worse than something for the same systems.

CES 2012: Wii U is demonstrated, the Panorama demo is available. Reggie gives some interviews.

For Wii U we've been given some details through IR events as well and now we are digging through the heaps of developer comments that have stirred up the pot really, but I don't remember the radio silence being this severe between TGS 2005 and E3 2006.

Where PAX East will most likely fail to provide anything new, the IR event on the 26th of April will surely succeed. And maybe some kind of reveal will take place in the next issue of Game Informer/Edge etc., as suggested previously in this thread.

NIntendo needs a catch phrase leading up to E3.

With the Wii, they had "you will say wow". Nintendo should reuse it or something just as catchy.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I lost you at insinuating the Wii NSMB is the same as the DS version. It has a similar artstyle and is a 2D Mario game and that's about the extent of that.

And judging by the fact that the DS and Wii games sold over 20 million copies each, it's not going anywhere.

Edit: Didn't mean to insinuate direct port. But it's not a paradigm shift either, at least in my humble opinion.

And that's a shame.

Rösti;36681910 said:
E3 2005: Nintendo Revolution is unveiled. Not much is revealed apart from the Virtual Console and that the controller will be very special, and also that when you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say, "Wow".
lol...

StevieP

Banned
I'm not sure if it's been stated already (since this thread moves way too fast) but what wsippel has been saying about fixed function units in addition to your standard modern GPU hardware seems to be true here, if a reputable B3D poster is to be believed:

First off, this board is far too educated to presume that developing a console GPU is like shopping at Newegg. Or even determining current component prices, if it was AMD/ATI, Genyo Takeda (IR&D) would not have spent 2yrs.+ in the development process on the Wii U's graphics processor. I realize we are attempting to establish a power as well as an architectural baseline, but this will be an amalgamation of processor capabilities that will yield a very custom proprietary chip. Somewhat defying the current DX metric. (to a degree of course)

What I mean when I say that is this, we cannot assume because it's based off of, or similar to gpu architecture "X," that it is incapable of "Y." Y equaling effects such as tessellation, IBL, real-time GI, deferred rendering, etc. There are certain visual aspects, such as lighting, that are very important to Nintendo. I have heard that, much like the Flipper, Nintendo has incorporated at least partially a portion of the same design philosophies into the Wii U chipset. Features that “automagically” appear during shader code implementation.

You will see a marked performance difference in their proprietary engines, as well as close 3rd parties, & exclusive titles. (UbiSoft, Capcom, etc.) Also, ARM may also be providing their DSP component solution. The nameless devs that are claiming inferiority to the current generation of consoles are either inept, or working with middleware that is still yet unoptimized for the differing Wii U architecture.

I understand it's probably being done to remain backward compatible with Wii (and GC, through digital download emulation) TEVs but a mistake in my opinion - third parties and middleware makers likely won't give a damn.

magash

I'm not sure if it's been stated already (since this thread moves way too fast) but what wsippel has been saying about fixed function units in addition to your standard modern GPU hardware seems to be true here, if a reputable B3D poster is to be believed:

I understand it's probably being done to remain backward compatible with Wii (and GC, through digital download emulation) TEVs but a mistake in my opinion - third parties and middleware makers likely won't give a damn.

That is their problem then. If the 3rd party developers half arse their output they will be at a disadvantage.

Introduction of new game mechanics is not the end all be all for me in regards to what I consider a new experience. Take that however you like I suppose.

Fair enough, but your criticism ignores the fact NSMBWii game mechanics are different and more mature than the DS version.

But art style and simplicity of the NSMB is the trademark for the game series. You'll need to look at the 3D platforming mario's for advancements in those areas.

AzaK

I bet if it is a miyamoto interview he will once again say not to expect miracles with the Wii U's power and everyone will take that to mean its P60 level and well start this madness all over again.

TunaLover

Pretty interesting post, thanks for sharing, do you have the link? I'm in the mood to follow some Wii U tech disscusion outside of GAF =P

HeySeuss

That next issue of Edge could be a goldmine for this thread
Between the investor meeting and PAX and that mag, this thread will be locked and the next one halfway to being locked by the end of the month. Then 30 days prior to e3 the thread will move so fast with leaks and rumors you won't be able to keep up. Can't wait.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Fair enough, but your criticism ignores the fact NSMBWii game mechanics are different and more mature than the DS version.

But art style and simplicity of the NSMB is the trademark for the game series. You'll need to look at the 3D platforming mario's for advancements in those areas.

I realize that; there are restraints on every genre. I simply would like to see, like I mentioned before, a thematic change on the lines of the first Super Mario World to the second. My criticism is mostly on the art-style though, you're right.

Top Bottom