• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I wonder what the control schemes are going to be like in Halo 4 now that you can sprint and have another AA at the same time.

I'd like to see this for bumper jumper:
-RT: Shoot
-LT: throw grenade
-RB: Melee
-LB: Jump
-A: use AA
-B: Pick up weapon
-X: Use sprint
-Y: Switch weapon
-D-pad up: Select frag grenade
-D-pad down: Select plasma grenade
-D-pad left: Select new grenade type 1
-D-pad right: Select new grenade type 2

I noticed that both he and you have Bam for names..... Just saying

He's my brother, I asked him to personally attack you and only you on Xbox live yesterday. :p

No, but really, guys a dick, but I usually like messages like that for entertainment purposes.

I wonder what the control schemes are going to be like in Halo 4 now that you can sprint and have another AA at the same time.

-RT: armor ability
-LT: Armor ability
-RB: Armor ability
-LB: Armor ability
-A: Armor ability
-B: Armor ability
-X: Armor ability
-Y: Armor ability
-D-pad up: Armor ability
-D-pad down: Armor ability
-D-pad left: Armor ability
-D-pad right: Armor ability

Fixed.

No but really, now that sprint is standard, I do wonder how that effects the controls, generally I don't like using the D pad, what bout tap LB to sprint, press/hold for armor ability? And the rest of the controls being the same as recon for me.

Wait wasn't Jironomo being sarcastic calling Holmes a douche?

The worry has kind of passed for me, I've resigned myself to a lower excitement as of now, will just wait to be convinced. Looking forward to it 343, don't let me down.

-RT: Shoot
-LT: throw grenade
-RB: Melee
-LB: Jump
-A: use AA
-B: Pick up weapon
-X: Use sprint
-Y: Switch weapon
-D-pad up: Select frag grenade
-D-pad down: Select plasma grenade
-D-pad left: Select new grenade type 1
-D-pad right: Select new grenade type 2

Real men play Recon.

Ideally, I'd want sprint on my left bumper, but I'm not sure it will be. The other armor ability on LB, reload on RB. Depending on how armor abilities work, I could see them being moved to the X-button, but only if they work similarly to the equipment in Halo 3, which I doubt.

Halo 3's/Reach's control scheme was pretty much perfect for me. I've gotten used to reloading with RB now.

Fixed.

No but really, now that sprint is standard, I do wonder how that effects the controls, generally I don't like using the D pad, what bout tap LB to sprint, press/hold for armor ability? And the rest of he controls being the same as recon for me.

That could work.

Overdoziz

Banned
Real men play Recon.

Ideally, I'd want sprint on my left bumper, but I'm guessing it'll be moved to the left stick like in CoD. The other armor ability on LB, reload on RB. Depending on how armor abilities work, I could see them being moved to the X-button, but only if they work similarly to the equipment in Halo 3, which I doubt.

Halo 3's/Reach's control scheme was pretty much perfect for me. I've gotten used to reloading with RB now.
Reloading with RB? Disgusting!

lol, still find it hilarious that people act like 2 & 3 were really THAT different. Aside from the BR spread, their about as close as a game could get without heavily changing it like Reach did.

I need to buy me a pair of those rose tinted Halo 2 glasses.

Reading the gaming side thread just shows how completely out of touch I am with what most people want in games today.

Going from hitscan to spread was a drastic difference in itself. It completely changed the way the game played. BR kill times were slowed down. Beat downs were revamped so that whether or not you swung first, you automatically had your shield removed, or often simultaneous deaths resulted. Vehicles were turned into killing machines that were much harder to take down. Halo3 was the game where Halo turned into Twisted Metal instead of Halo, at least in BTB. Then there was no ranked BTB, so games consisted of constant quitters and guests that were more interested in screwing around than playing the objective. The rocket launcher didn't lock on anymore. The laser was stupid. Dual-wielding was nerfed, making it mostly useless. The pistol turned into a pile of garbage, even more so than from Halo1 to Halo 2. Maps were much much worse, which is weird to say after experiencing the maps in Reach. Equipment was added to the game, not really an improvement. Mancannons, which I despise, replaced teleporters. Bungie became obsessed with water, which I never understood. The bouncing flag was removed in objective games. Assault was changed for the worse.

Halo3 was just a massive departure from what made my two favorite playlists, BTB and Team Objective, so much fun in Halo2. The two biggest contributing factors were the loss of hitscan and the inferior maps. There were very few good objective maps. Halo2 is not being looked at through rose tinted glasses. We all have our own opinions and favorites, and Halo2 was a clear step above Halo3 for me. The maps and game play in Halo 2 out right crushed Halo3 and all of the changes it brought. I think theater mode and forge were the only positive additions or changes that I really enjoyed. But those do little to improve game play.

Reloading with RB? Disgusting!

H9z0d.jpg

Real men play Recon.

Ideally, I'd want sprint on my left bumper, but I'm not sure it will be. The other armor ability on LB, reload on RB. Depending on how armor abilities work, I could see them being moved to the X-button, but only if they work similarly to the equipment in Halo 3, which I doubt.

Bumper Jumper fo life!

Having jump on LB is so ingrained in my brain that I can't see me switching back to the A button that easily.

I think sprint and crouch can both live on LS. Click LS while running forward to sprint, click it while not moving on the ground or while jumping to crouch.

But then, how would you be able to crouch and walk at the same time? If you'd have to go to full stop to crouch, I can see many people who'd accidentally start sprinting because they were still moving a little bit.

2 commands on LS is a horrible idea.

Can you even crouch while moving forward in Reach?

But then, how would you be able to crouch and walk at the same time? If you'd have to go to full stop to crouch, I can see many people who'd accidentally start sprinting because they were still moving a little bit.

Click LS while not moving then press it in the desired direction while keeping it pressed. The sprint would only register if you're holding the stick, so you wouldn't accidentally trigger it by resetting the stick to neutral and clicking it. Even if your character if still slowly moving a bit.

Magni

lol, still find it hilarious that people act like 2 & 3 were really THAT different. Aside from the BR spread, their about as close as a game could get without heavily changing it like Reach did.

Reading the gaming side thread just shows how completely out of touch I am with what most people want in games today.

Well, Halo 2 was much more fast paced than Halo 3. Halo 3 was the slowest game of the series, by far. It might not be evident to people who've only played either game once or twice, but I'm sure you'd have noticed.

Halo 2 was far from perfect, as those videos posted earlier showed. But to me it remains the game of the XBL era with the best out-of-the-box default gameplay, and the post-patch default gameplay, and that's mostly due to the speed and quality of the maps.

Halo 3 was way too slow, and equipment only slowed the game more (the only equipment I appreciated was the Power Drain, and that's just a cheap PP overcharge).

Reach was a steap back in the right direction for many things (hitscan being the most obvious), but the maps at launch sucked. A lot. And even now, the overwhelming majority of maps I really appreciate are remakes.

Halo 4 needs awesome maps, both remakes and, especially, original map. The last good original map the Halo series has had is Citadel IMO, it's been far too long.

Magni

Works for sprinting and holding breath in CoD.

What? Right trigger works for shooting and honking in Halo then.

My ideal controller layout (assuming we still can't map them ourselves)

A: Next grenade type
B: Reload/Action
X: Prev grenade type
Y: Change weapon/Escape zoom

LS: Crouch
RS: Zoom

LB: Jump (tap)/Sprint (hold)
RB: Melee

LT: Throw grenade
RT: Fire weapon

DPAD: AA bullshit goes here

Gui_PT

Works for sprinting and holding breath in CoD.

I don't think you can compare those things. You can only hold your breath while looking through the sight, right?

What if I want to crouch right after sprinting? Or sprint right after crouching?

It just wouldn't work properly.

Besides, control schemes?

We all know Halo 4 will work only with Kinect

I don't know who this guy thinks he is. He's supposed to be the creative director of halo 4 and he's being a total douche.

ttp://i.imgur.com/ui6RT.jpg

"Fear is the enemy of progress" is such a pretentious quote when it comes to Halo 4. I dont think its fear that the community is feeling, it would be fear if the new features where a unknown quantity, but I remember someone joking that so far for the average Halo fan the new features are like reading from a bucket list of things that you would never want in Halo. I really agree with that. I have played a lot of CoD and Battlefield but keep coming back to Halo because of the lack of perks etc.

I must say Frankie saying that duel wielding is worse than AA's made me cringe aswell. Im expecting some pr spiel in the podcast but until I see gameplay footage I am not expecting the game to interest me.

Is he saying that they are making progress with the changes in Halo 4?

lol

Exactly lol, "fear is the progress of enemy" is a joke when the progress isn't exactly innovation. (well thats just based on what we know so far, roll on the gameplay footage so I can make my own mind up without having it filtered through GI or 343)

Not as hilariously as bad trying to arm the crate in bad company 2 and picking up every weapon possible around it.

Haha the horrors.
Mapping more actions on one button the context when they needed to be used should be completely different. Like in cod hold breath is the same as sprinting but the context is so different you can't fuck that up. In Mass effect 3 80% of the time instead of reviving im getting into cover.

I don't think you can compare those things. You can only hold your breath while looking through the sight, right?

What if I want to crouch right after sprinting? Or sprint right after crouching?

And you could only sprint while moving forward.

Am I mistaken? Because I do not believe you can crouch straight out of a sprint in Reach (while still holding LS forward). If I am, please correct me. Otherwise I see no overlap here. Crouch after sprinting: release LS then click it. Sprint after crouching: release LS and click it while pressing it forward. Wouldn't that be identical to how it is now if you replaced the sprint input with the AA input?

You guys are making this too complicated.

Myyke

Neo Member
Bumper Jumper fo life!

Having jump on LB is so ingrained in my brain that I can't see me switching back to the A button that easily.

Heretic! Reach Default is the closest to a "perfect" Halo control scheme I have used so far, having melee on the right bumper...................changed me. I just wish there was a way to move "scoping" from the right stick, I tend to press it accidentally way too much.

Also on the topic of AA's, I'm glad sprint is being integrated as a standard ability. I'm not sure if there is a stat tracker for AA use in Reach, but if there was it would show that Ive pretty much just been using sprint 99% of the time, and now I can combine it with another AA? I've died and gone to Halo heaven.

I'm also imagining Overdoziz violently vomiting all over his screen while reading this post.

Ok guys, I have a much bigger problem than everything you are all QQing about.

When MC gets attacked by elites on the FUD, he says 'I thought we had a truce with the Covenant,' to Cortana.

He only knows there was a truce with the Elites and those loyal to them! never with the whole Covenant! What a terrible oversight this is!
That's probably what he meant.

Heretic! Reach Default is the closest to a "perfect" Halo control scheme I have used so far, having melee on the right bumper...................changed me. I just wish there was a way to move "scoping" from the left stick, I tend to press it accidentally way too much.

images

Gui_PT

And you could only sprint while moving forward.

Am I mistaken? Because I do not believe you can crouch straight out of a sprint in Reach (while still holding LS forward). If I am, please correct me. Otherwise I see no overlap here. Crouch after sprinting: release LS then click it. Sprint after crouching: release LS and click it while pressing it forward. Wouldn't that be identical to how it is now if you replaced the sprint input with the AA input?

You guys are making this too complicated.

They're too "close" to eachother.

I'm crouching, someone's shooting at me, gotta bail! Sprint! No don't just uncrouch, sprint! No don't crouch again, Sprint!!!! I DUN DIED

feel

How terrible of a base speed am I going to have to enjoy this time so you people get to have your awkward sprint animation?

So many people tried to play H3 again it realized how awful it is. Told you so. Always been awful.
Yeah I wouldn't consider 2 or 3 people who have played an ungodly ammount of Reach daily for the past year and a half rage posting posting 4 minutes into their first Halo 3 match in months before they've adapted to the difference any sort of general consensus.

Yeah I wouldn't consider 2 or 3 people who have played an ungodly ammount of Reach daily for the past year and a half rage posting posting 4 minutes into their first Halo 3 match in months before they've adapted to the difference any sort of general consensus.

But but but halo doesn't change.

"The game is looking really sharp and fairly far along, which is always great to see this early. The reveal of [Yoink!] is going to be the 'Holy sh--' moment. That's going to be the star of our story, I think." -Matt Miller, Game Informer

So, what was YOINK!? Spartan op's?

So, what was YOINK!? Spartan op's?

Reveal of the Didact or forerunners?
The third faction seems more like a robotic enemy.
Maybe kinda like the Geth in Mass Effect the more there are in a area the smarter they become.

This looks a bit robotic to me
halo-4-alien-composite.jpg

Please dont make a vent god 343I

Striker

I'm not sure how to say this without going all over the place in the various subjects, but there's to many little things Halo 2 did, like flag and bomb contesting, that Bungie neglected in Halo 3. Sticky arming in Assault, and the planting which blended in all so well and were great reasons why it was my favorite gametype in the whole series. These were extremely vital and worthwhile in Team Skirmish games. And the larger things, like slow base speed, extremely floaty jumps which made you feel like Neil Armstrong, overpowered melee, equipment all over the place, bad weapon sandbox, etc. On that related note, gametypes. Instant arm Assault? Long ass return time in CTF? Territories? Land Grab? VIP? Those were the top default objective modes, and in my view, all were absolutely terrible. No CTF Classic, no 3 Plots, just did not have fun with many all around. MLG rectified these in their settings, and added on the base speed which I know you loved, because I'm quite confident MLG was your favorite playlist in H3. It was mine, too, but not because it made you into a faster Spartan and weighed down on the moon jumps, but it removed the awful AR and its melee smacks, it removed the redundant weapons like the Spiker, Plasma Rifle, and SMG, which nobody ever picked up. And because MLG removed equipment, which none of them were any good except the grav lift and were only there to cause frustration and slow down the game.

I do agree Reach is a completely different ball game, but H3 was pretty damn different. Just jumping around, shooting, and killing a couple guys in your first 30 secs. of gameplay will let you know immediately.

Deputy Moonman has the same idea... BTB and Team Objective, or Skirmish as it was properly called in 2, were my destinations. The best memories were from those two playlists, and both were all but neutered in 3.

Myyke

Neo Member

The thing that really surprises me is that it seems that we are essentially getting a second, albeit seemingly more compartmentalised, co-op campaign which I can only applaud 343 for undertaking. I like the fact that they are releasing the content gradually, seems like the best way to keep players coming back with the promise of something new, rather than losing the players who power through all available content fairly quickly and abandon ship until DLC hits months down the line.

I think Bungie put significant development resources into Firefight with Reach but I don't think that the number of people who actually ended up playing the mode regularly is proportional to the amount of time and effort they put into making it. Don't get me wrong, I love me some firefight when I can play without lag, but I think 343 have perhaps realised that it just wasn't optimal, both in terms of the content's development and ultimately player usage patterns.

Weren't Forerunners basically confirmed anyway?

Most people just assume Forerunners as the race.
Because of the novels and 343I linking them to Halo 4.
But we dont know if 343 will pit us against an organic Forerunner faction or a Artificial Forerunner Faction(Sentinels,War sphinxes etc)..

Top Bottom