• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

heckfu

Banned
We have our forerunner vision for this Halo experience. We know we'll make some mistakes along the way, and we can't please each and everyone of the millions of people who play Halo with every feature. That being said, I believe the game we're making is special. It retains the essence and feeling of Halo while injecting an unlimited sprint like energy into the moment to moment gameplay experience that keeps me coming back for more. Even when I don't need to keep playing, I find myself loading up my Spartan IV and once again going to battle without a respawn timer. Basically, we hate you nerds.

wow. your quick edit was nice but i still caught what you said and bolded it for you. you're welcome.

Oh you'd be dying alright.

Precision Weapons or bust.

I understand, appreciate, and make full use of the dominance of precision weapons in normal gameplay, but I sometimes enjoy running around spraying with a full auto weapon.

We fully expected certain segments of the Halo community would have questions & concerns about some content in that particular article. One of the greatest strengths of the Halo fanbass is its diversity. What one segment cherishes as the epitome of what "makes Halo, Halo" another will dismiss in a heartbeat as fluff, or dumbing down or reducing "skill gap."

We have our vision for this Halo experience. We know we'll make some mistakes along the way, and we can't please each and everyone of the millions of people who play Halo with every feature. That being said, I believe the game we're making is special. It retains the essence and feeling of Halo while injecting an energy into the moment to moment gameplay experience that keeps me coming back for more. Even when I don't need to keep playing, I find myself loading up my Spartan IV and once again going to battle.

I'll be honest, the way you put "skill gap" in quotes doesn't give me a great feeling. However, I am glad that you understand Halo's diversity is what makes it great. Hopefully, what you guys make the default gameplay is "your vision," and you allow all the different segments of the community to play they way they'd like to in their own custom games and eventually playlists.

I'm also hoping for even more customization than was in Reach, with hopefully very little of it affecting gameplay.

Well, after playing Arena, I can safely say for myself that 343 would have to try really hard to make a game as frustrating and unsatisfying as Reach. Bloom is so bad, good lord.

I played Reach with my three friends from the good ol' days in a zero bloom playlist for the first time ever a few weeks ago and I had the most fun I'd had since Halo 3. It felt like Halo again. Especially because the match was on the Pit remake.

PNut

Banned
I've read all the new stuff. Just looking forward to actually see it in motion. Any ETA on MP gameplay footage?

CyReN

Thanks for the posts Ellis.

---
ktaIh.jpg

I really hope we can change this, annoys me for some reason every time I go back and look at it, can't put my finger on it.

Recarpo

---
ktaIh.jpg

I really hope we can change this, annoys me for some reason every time I go back and look at it, can't put my finger on it.

Reminds me a lot of shredder from TMNT. Haven't decided if I like that look yet or not.

We fully expected certain segments of the Halo community would have questions & concerns about some content in that particular article. One of the greatest strengths of the Halo fanbass is its diversity. What one segment cherishes as the epitome of what "makes Halo, Halo" another will dismiss in a heartbeat as fluff, or dumbing down or reducing "skill gap."

We have our vision for this Halo experience. We know we'll make some mistakes along the way, and we can't please each and everyone of the millions of people who play Halo with every feature. That being said, I believe the game we're making is special. It retains the essence and feeling of Halo while injecting an energy into the moment to moment gameplay experience that keeps me coming back for more. Even when I don't need to keep playing, I find myself loading up my Spartan IV and once again going to battle.

A large and vocal reaction is a given with such big changes, especially when so very little detail and context is given to those changes, but that is on Gameinformer and not you guys. I have to say, I really like that you guys are doing something special, making this game your own and bringing new things to the table. While we all love Halo 2/3, I know we would grow bored of it if each installment was that same thing, and thus the series must evolve. Personally, I am very thrilled with many of these changes and haven't been this excited to play a new Halo game in a very long time.

Halo 4 seems to be the Halo I love mixed with something brand new, and I like that. Hey, its possible these changes may end up sucking, who knows, but I know I am feeling good about what I hear now. That said, please, when you guys can, elaborate on the details you have shared- from the gameplay, gamemodes etc to the engine changes. Im dying to hear details on all of those.

So much stealth brag about how you play the game everyday.

I'm just jelly.

Well I'll be damned. A gun that's actually going to work in a Halo game.

Yeah although some of this stuff sounds wack (random weapon spawns, instant respawn, more AA's than I can shake a stick at), if 343 nails the core gunplay and player movement, I'm not gonna give a fuck.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Steam punk Warthog takes a half hour to hit the temperature necessary to move it. Not really useful in a fight, but always a hit at geek conventions.

Edit: Also, not gonna lie, I spent 15 minutes in the office today just listening to the sound of the new sniper rifle fired from various distances/angles. God tier.

This is a bit of a subjective question, but where would you place the weapon audio quality on a scale of say, 1 to Battlefield 3 level?

edit: lol nevermind, that's a dumb question.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, that helmet is stupid looking. Would like to see something different with the next batch of media they'll release, but I'm guessing the next set off stuff that will go out will be those same pics from the magazine.

So Arena is actually pretty decent now.
With one exception, Countdown.
Without jetpacks, there is nothing stopping teams from sitting back in the radio towers with shotgun and sword.

Ramirez

It's really not. Terrible Forge maps all around, and you still only start with 1 nade? Seriously? Add in the suck of bloom, slow movement, no bleed through, terrible weapon placement, & 1 inch jumps and you have a pretty terrible "competitive" Halo experience.

Playing it tonight made me realize that the only way for this franchise to go at the moment is up, we're already at rock bottom.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually have a really important question for Frankie or David. Not sure if you guys can answer though.

Will I be able to have my red Triad/Triforce symbol like I've been using since Halo? Please let me know soon. I'm headed to Gamestop tomorrow and I wanna know if I should cancel my preorder.

blamite

I actually have a really important question for Frankie or David. Not sure if you guys can answer though.

Will I be able to have my red Triad/Triforce symbol like I've been using since Halo? Please let me know soon. I'm headed to Gamestop tomorrow and I wanna know if I should cancel my preorder.
This is important! Triforce with Display background or no sale!

---
ktaIh.jpg

All I need for cosmetics is the Mark VI... Mark VII? Whatever you wanna classify Chief's current helmet. Gimme that for my MP model and I'm set.

But that's just it, the changes do not seem to have a lot in common with Halo. They are more like blatant CoD ripoffs. It's not like fans are disputing minor changes to core Halo mechanics. The game is being flooded with things that have never been a part of Halo, based on the info we have so far of course. From all outside appearances, Call of Duty is the vision that 343 has for Halo. But I realize that is based off very limited information. Halo4 may turn out to be fantastic, but it does seems like a really odd direction to take the game. I'm just going to wait until further details and explanations can be given.

I think the one thing that has been needed since Halo2 is a plethora of really good matchmaking maps, and if that can be achieved, people are going to forget all of the rest of their concerns. But the jetpack automatically makes that a daunting task with its addition.

Thoughts on the jetpack: If 343 insists on leaving it in the game, despite the map breaking problems it can cause, it needs to be much faster and last much shorter. Its function needs to be confined to getting to other levels quickly and not for camping in the sky with grenades.
Yeah, that helmet is stupid looking. Would like to see something different with the next batch of media they'll release, but I'm guessing the next set off stuff that will go out will be those same pics from the magazine.
It looks like a strainer pan lol.
dhkppa.jpg

Watching Formal play Halo 3 from earlier today. Struggling a bit with the sniper. Funny how different sniping and BRing is in Reach. Leading BR shots is still absolutely terrible.

http://www.twitch.tv/formal/b/314339100

Makes Snipedown's unrelenting wape with the sniper in H3 even more impressive. Ima watch Snipedown: The Movie and throw a few chairs tonight in honor of that legend.

Sniping in Reach is all about just letting the autoaim do the work for you lol. I have never been impressed by a Reach sniping clip. Hopefully the Halo 4 sniper goes back to being like the Halo 3 version.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can throw spartan points into sniping armour to make the sniper have more autoaim :lol

Camo Snipe = fuckin smart.

lol!

We will not be talking about ranking or progression in detail for a while. We are not using TruSkill in the same way Reach did. That's about all we can say for now.

Suffice it to say the game will match people appropriately - Tashi to Kyle, for example, and me to WalshOgreSkrillexTwinBlains.

Thank you for posting Frank.

To be honest, this is all I could've hoped to hear at this early point in the PR cycle.

With one exception, Countdown.
Without jetpacks, there is nothing stopping teams from sitting back in the radio towers with shotgun and sword.

Anyone here played it in Team Snipers? Two kids sitting in the radios all match. That is the tactic.

TheOddOne

We will not be talking about ranking or progression in detail for a while. We are not using TruSkill in the same way Reach did. That's about all we can say for now.

Suffice it to say the game will match people appropriately - Tashi to Kyle, for example, and me to WalshOgreSkrillexTwinBlains.
Thank god.

I still don't understand why they don't just put AAs on the maps as pick-ups. That way you can prevent certain AAs from being abused on certain maps but simply not putting them on it. It also makes it easier to create maps around specific AAs instead of having to adjust the map to every AA.
AAs as pick-ups, progressions system unlocks your ability to use them. I think it's the best of both worlds.
Thank god.
Just play some Halo 3 TS. ;)

I can live with that.
I would only ever consider it if 343 wants AAs and a progression system. It's a nice medium in that respect as it is true to Halo in two ways: something to fight over and starting everyone off equally.

It's something 343 should try I think. If not in this game, then the next.

Falagard

It's just hilarious to me that the flaws of 2 are completely over looked by most people in here who spout it as the gift from the gods.

Here's my memory: I had a ton more fun with Halo 2 than Halo 3. I favored Objective based games and Halo 2's handling of those games was much better than 3. The bomb/flag contesting, sudden death, etc. all made the game much better than the sequels.

The movement speed was also a huge thing that shouldn't be overlooked, and I liked the pure gameplay of Halo 2 without having equipment and AAs. The maps were the best in the series, especially the BTB maps which is the other area I enjoy the game the most.

I believe Halo 2's vehicle handling was also the best, though I really enjoyed the Chopper and Mongoose in Halo 3 as well.

Halo 2's biggest downfalls were the hackers and the netcode wasn't as good as it is now. I honestly believe if they remade Halo 2 like they did Halo CE that I would be playing it as my primary multiplayer game for the next several years.

*Edit* but like... kept the multiplayer intact and just updated the graphics

Energy into moment-to-moment gameplay

I like the sound of this

Top Bottom