• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something has changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing videogames for about 22 years now but lately I started enjoying movies a lot more and I rarely play videogames at all. But i keep complaining about them here.

videogames ┬─┬ノ( •_•ノ)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ sǝɯɐboǝpıʌ

if this is a common phenomenon, gaming side just started to make a lot more sense.

"why u complaining about DmC bro? just turn your brain off"

Izick

I was playing videogames for about 22 years now but somehow I started enjoying movies a lot more and I rarely play videogames at all. But i keep complaining about them here.

Same with me on the video games front.

I joined here to talk about video games, and ironically I haven't done that nearly at all. I haven't spent any major time in the VG section in the past months. I'm not sure if that's how good off-topic is, or me just being bored.

I hope I'm not "falling out of love with games," so to speak. Can that happen even?

Salmonax

I've also all but stopped playing games, and only within the last six months. Maybe it's due to the end of the console cycle or something.

Meadows

Banned
iRPnVJibVaImI.gif

Digishine

Banned
I was playing videogames for about 22 years now but lately I started enjoying movies a lot more and I rarely play videogames at all. But i keep complaining about them here.

your becoming old. Next phase is that you gonna start yelling to kids to get of your yard.

Same with me on the video games front.

I joined here to talk about video games, and ironically I haven't done that nearly at all. I haven't spent any major time in the VG section in the past months. I'm not sure if that's how good off-topic is, or me just being bored.

I hope I'm not "falling out of love with games," so to speak. Can that happen even?

Your tastes changed/you realised there are much funner (and healthier - mental, social and physical) activities out there.

At 28, I still play games, and enjoy them - although I am no longer fanatical. I have not played most of 2012s early releases yet - but I plan to.

-x.Red.x-

same here, i remember i said " i once i grow up, i will only work/play video games"
Thinking, oh I'm buying a ps4/psp2 launch day, 599 usd dont care blah blah

Now my ps3 collects dust and i rarely play fifa,
play only when friends come over...

=(

At 28, I still play games, and enjoy them - although I am no longer fanatical. I have not played most of 2012s early releases yet - but I plan to.

I dont even care about most of them. All i plan to get in 2012 is Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 maybe GTA V. My PS3 is basicly my Bluray player now.

Muddimar

I have the same problem man... I'm 25. I've bought a few games in 2011/2012, but only play them every now and then. I still get excited about games I see coming out this year, console wars, etc. But I still I find myself on Netflix and streams more often than I actually find myself playing games. I dunno... I feel older, I'm getting married soon, I find myself doing other things. :/

I don't find videogames as appealing anymore as I used to.

Help me guys! I'm only 17 and I've got a huge backlog. Why do I keep buying games on steam when I don't play any? :(

mrkgoo

Everyone goes through it at some point. For some it's a phase, a break. For others, it's longer lasting.

I haven't seriously played console games for 4 years. I made an exception for skyward sword, but that's it.

Izick

Meadows:
Banned

Not even in gif form, my friend, not even in gif form.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else here felt or feel like they're just getting tired of games? I don't even give a shit about Mass Effect 3 right now, nor am I really as excited for this year's line-up as I would have been say 3 years ago.

Muddimar

Everyone goes through it at some point. For some it's a phase, a break. For others, it's longer lasting.

I haven't seriously played console games for 4 years. I made an exception for skyward sword, but that's it.

My exception was for Skyrim/Dark Souls... That's about it. I recently bought Tales of Graces F, I play it here and there, just kinda taking my time with it. Can't really think of the next big game that's going to grab my attention.

I stopped playing games pretty much completely around senior year of high school. I mean I'll still play them when friends are, but it never takes up any of my free time. I don't know why it happened but it kind of sucks. I'm saving money though, which is a plus

Meadows:
Banned

Has anyone else here felt or feel like they're just getting tired of games? I don't even give a shit about Mass Effect 3 right now, nor am I really as excited for this year's line-up as I would have been say 3 years ago.

i buy new games then i just replay ninja gaiden black and fantasize about owning a gaming rig that could run SMT Nocturne on PCSX2 in glorious upscaled resolution with added AA and AF...which i'll be getting soon.

mrkgoo

My exception was for Skyrim/Dark Souls... That's about it. I recently bought Tales of Graces F, I play it here and there, just kinda taking my time with it. Can't really think of the next big game that's going to grab my attention.

I admit, I play a pretty decent amount of ios games.

Interestingly, I still follow a lot of video game news and industry, considering I don't really play them much any more.

CFMOORE!

working in the videogame industry for nine years did me no favors with regards to my love for gaming. it has waned a lot over the years. with that said though, i still enjoy working in the industry and doing what i love doing.

i do hope i can get myself back into it.

I only play the classics from my teenage years now; Baldurs Gate, Fallout, Morrowind. The only exception is Skyrim and Witcher 2. New games just don't excite me any more. Most likely its just age over games industry is rooned rhetoric.

I'm the opposite. I have a real problem watching movies now and I love gaming. I can't just sit and stare at something for two hours; I need to be doing something.

Sobriquet

working in the videogame industry for nine years did me no favors with regards to my love for gaming. it has waned a lot over the years. with that said though, i still enjoy working in the industry and doing what i love doing.

i do hope i can get myself back into it.

I feel the same way about the film industry (15 years).

The old joke is "does a mailman walk around on his day off?"

renitou

I just listen to two video game podcasts. I find hearing about others' experiences more enjoyable (and time-efficient) than playing games for myself.

I did suck every last drop out of Super Mario 3D Land last fall. First game I've really stuck with in a long time.

dejay

Banned
It's a phase.

Except the phases get bigger and longer until games are almost a forgotten memory - at least that's my experience. I kept trying to get back into them with some success, but ultimately I just haven't touched them. My parents play much more games than I do so it's not age.

Kinda sad - I always thought I'd be a gamer for life.

VALIS

There are some months I play hours of games every day. There are some months I don't touch a game once, outside of maybe something on the iPad.

GAF (and I'm sure other places) has a long history of trying to find the reasons behind things like this. "I'm growing up!" "Games aren't as fun!" "The industry is different!" Nope. You go through phases and periods of interest and you always will.

edit:

Except the phases get bigger and longer until games are almost a forgotten memory - at least that's my experience. I kept trying to get back into them with some success, but ultimately I just haven't touched them. My parents play much more games than I do so it's not age.

The phases aren't always consistent in length. There were times I went a year or two without giving a shit about video games. Then you're bored one day, "hmm, maybe I'll see what's been going on in video games lately..." and you're back into it for a while.

Of course it's possible people just outright drop hobbies, but if it's something you once loved, chances are you'll be back.

lunchtoast

I still play games, but rarely enjoy them. I would watch more movies, but I don't want to invest 2 hours just sitting and watching something. So instead I just watch Simpson repeats forever.

mrkgoo

Meadows:
Banned

It's basically what everyone here is saying. People get tired of them. For different reasons. Some people find games aren't developing, others just find better things to do.

As it is with any hobby, you do it out of interest or fun. When it's no longer interesting, there's no harm in stopping. I know in the heat of the moment, your hobby can seem like you'll love it forever, but forever is a long time...

I remember when a friend of mine more or less gave up video games, because 'they're all the same - there wasn't anything he hadn't played'. Now while I disagreed, he did have a point. For example, no matter what spin you add, or graphical mprovement, or story...an FPS remains an FPS. How different do they make them, really?

When you give up a hobby that takes so much time, and start looking at hobbies that actually make you grow as a person, it can be eye opening. Now, there,s nothing wrong with games. In fact, there's a huge benefit, I feel, in playing games. It's just that my days of playing games for 8 hour sessions until I finish them, only to anticipate the next is gone, at least for now.

Sobriquet

I hardly played any games from when I was 21 to 30. Then I started again. *shrug*

My girlfriend (now wife) got me back into it.

FStop7

Banned
Same.

The trainwreck that was the end of Mass Effect 3 combined with the trainwreck that is Kinect Star Wars triggered some sort of internal sense of gaming having jumped the shark to me.

reKon

Banned
I barely play games now just cause I don't have the free time in graduate school. I'm sure that may change once I start full time because I won't have to worry about school work after coming home from work. It's funny though because during the past summer when I did have free time from my internship, I STILL didn't play cause I just had no desire too. It was weird feeling this way after the school year where I complained sometimes about being too busy to even attempt to clear out some of my backlog.

The only game I played last summer was the Uncharted 3 beta, which was a lot of fun. In the last 6 months, the only game I've completed was Uncharted 3 and the only online game I've put more than 6 hours into was Battlefield 3/Uncharted 3. All I do now is watch TV shows that I haven't seen or need to catch up on such as Dexter.

Is it that great TV shows/films > video games for me now? =O

Lol, and I've actually realized now that I've spent more time gaming on my smartphone than playing on consoles in the past few months #CONSOLESANDHANDHELDSAREDOOMED.

It's depressing having the backlog that I do. I wanted to get SSX, start and finish Arkham City, start and finish Mass Effect 2, borrow and beat SMG2, actually open Dead Space (have not opened for over a year - got it for $10), and beat other games in the backlog (including STEAM games)

I still play a lot of games, but I rarely play multiplayer games. Unless the community is older. I just can't stand playing with immature players/racists.

The gaming side of NeoGaf is 90% people that don't know what they are talking about or are crazy fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom