• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm wondering, are any of these series available on DVD sets in North America or are fansubs my only choice for watching?

WillyFive

ahhh where is your spirit for adventure?

Bouken-daibouken.jpg

Alright, I'll update the OP.

I'm wondering, are any of these series available on DVD sets in North America or are fansubs my only choice for watching?

They are, unless it's Power Rangers.

WillyFive

Gokaiger is really a gif goldmine, huh?

Gokaiger has the best choreography of any Super Sentai show, ever (I used to say it was the best since Dairanger, but since they managed to outdo Dairanger itself with their own Dairanger scenes, it is the best) . It was just insane the amount of love and detail they put into the action scenes.

tumblr_m2533m2z5Y1qar4lwo2_250.gif

tumblr_m0ca3qssvG1qaben4o1_500.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im afraid that this will end up a gif dipository(which wouldnt be bad, but im sure would get the mods attention) how about we list our favorite and least favorite series?

of the kamen rider series ive seen, kabuto, dubs, and fourze are my current favorites. i think its the wacky overall nature of the shows that draws me in

and my least favorite is ryuki. my first run through i couldnt understand the appeal. i said i would eventually rewatch it, but i havent gotten around to it yet

on the sentai branch. deka, geki, and hurricanger are on top(havent seen boukenger, need to change that. )

on the bottom, gaoranger.... why? why is it so well liked?

WARNING! CRITICAL SWAG LEVELS DETECTED!

gokai4.gif

on the sentai branch. deka, geki, and hurricanger are on top(havent seen boukenger, need to change that. )

on the bottom, gaoranger.... why? why is it so well liked?

You know, everyone seems to love love love Hurricanger, but for me it was my least favorite of the decade until Goseiger came along. I dunno, just something about it, the atmosphere, the characters, designs, just really didn't do it for me. Obviously its a popular series because everyone (including you) lists it as a favorite, and Gokaiger had a major two parter with Hurricanger, so maybe I'm just missing something.

As for Gaoranger, it's by far one of my favorites. Awesome designs, lovable characters, great humor mixed with the serious epic and badass moments (like Gokaiger does well), so I guess different strokes, huh? :p

WillyFive

My favorite Sentai includes Jetman, Shinkenger, Gekiranger, Magiranger and Gokaiger.

All of those were extremely fun to watch and had good and interesting characters that you cared about. Once I got into those series, I was instantly hooked and wanted to see the next one. I can't say the same for Dekaranger, Boukenger, and Gaoranger. I guess since they are so episodic, they don't entice me to look up the next episode.

Fourze and Den-O are the first Kamen Riders that hooked me enough to continue watching past the first three episodes, so I'll list them as favorites by elimination. Probably has to do with how both of them are not as melodramatic and serious as the other shows.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My favorite Sentai includes Jetman, Shinkenger, Gekiranger, Magiranger and Gokaiger.

All of those were extremely fun to watch and had good and interesting characters that you cared about. Once I got into those series, I was instantly hooked and wanted to see the next one. I can't say the same for Dekaranger, Boukenger, and Gaoranger. I guess since they are so episodic, they don't entice me to look up the next episode.

Fourze and Den-O are the first Kamen Riders that hooked me enough to continue watching past the first three episodes, so I'll list them as favorites by elimination. Probably has to do with how both of them are not as melodramatic and serious as the other shows.

i still havent seen either shinkenger or gokaiger. i need to fix that.

Shinkenger was fun... but the fight choreography was awful. The mixing with 'sound effects' were off half the time, which does make it seem like they are just swinging around prop 'toy swords' instead of real 'toy swords' ;P

I want to see this...immediately.

My first Sentai was Magiranger and watched everything up until Go-Onger. Gekiranger is also up there with one of my personal favorites but Magi definitely kicked things off for me. My first Kamen Rider show that I really got into was Kabuto, it was a wrap after that, I went back and watched as many Rider series as I could. I think Kamen Rider 555, Den-O W, and Fourze are the ones I enjoyed watching the most but I like most series I've seen so far in one way or another. I admittedly have never watched past episode 1 of Hibiki, maybe I should go back and give it a chance but I was really put off by what I saw.

WillyFive

Shinkenger was fun... but the fight choreography was awful. The mixing with 'sound effects' were off half the time, which does make it seem like they are just swinging around prop 'toy swords' instead of real 'toy swords' ;P

Yeah, the foley work for Shinkenger was whack. They just played random sword effects during a fight scene, and expected it to somehow work.

I expected the Fourze characters to use their chibi designs that are on the wall of the Kamen Rider Club. Tall Fourze looks awkward in those screens.

I haven't watched any sentai since shikenger. I think I'll scope out gokaier but after seeing the movie though.

Also Fourze just keeps on delivering

How was the choreography stuff bad? I thought Shinkenger had some of the best in recent memory, especially Shinken Reddo. Yeah, maybe the sound effects weren't perfect and tougher to do with swords all the time instead of punches and bullets which is what it usually is, but bad choreography? I dunno.

Now if you wanna talk about bad choreography, we can discuss Goseiger. All they did was swing around their weapons and they never looked like they were actually ever hitting anyone. Also, they never seemed to get strong throughout the series at all, they just hoped for miracles and got lucky. The fights were a bore.

How was the choreography stuff bad? I thought Shinkenger had some of the best in recent memory, especially Shinken Reddo. Yeah, maybe the sound effects weren't perfect and tougher to do with swords all the time instead of punches and bullets which is what it usually is, but bad choreography? I dunno.

Now if you wanna talk about bad choreography, we can discuss Goseiger. All they did was swing around their weapons and they never looked like they were actually ever hitting anyone. Also, they never seemed to get strong throughout the series at all, they just hoped for miracles and got lucky. The fights were a bore.

idk... been a while, but I recall all the fights and movements to feel... slow and 'staged'. The bad foley work doesn't help.

And to point some fault at the story... Fighting 'water monsters' with swords... is a really dumb idea....

idk... been a while, but I recall all the fights and movements to feel... slow and 'staged'. The bad foley work doesn't help.

And to point some fault at the story... Fighting 'water monsters' with swords... is a really dumb idea....

They were demons who lived off the river styx water sir, so soon to forget : ( ? My only gripe was the off sword sounds. I also had issue with seeing Genta train like once and everyone else 24/7.

Slayven

They were demons who lived off the river styx water sir, so soon to forget : ( ? My only gripe was the off sword sounds. I also had issue with seeing Genta train like once and everyone else 24/7.

Awesomeness needs less work.

I haven't watched any Ultraman since Tiga, but that new Ultradude seems mangry. The one with the horns.

Whats the consensus on Kamen Rider Blade? I have the whole series but I haven't watched it yet, curious what TokuGAF thinks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom