• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is teasing a game reveal on 4/19 "Will vengeance bring redemption?"

I don't see that selling well if true. I would prefer a new GOW, after the monster success of the last one I think it will perform great too. Plus the GOW universe filled with giant jaw dropping bosses would be perfect for the engine.

Guys, we have resumes out there that have listed God of War 4. It's pretty much confirmed at this point, no use speculating anything else.

It's not going to be Heavenly Sword 2, lol.

Globox_82

Banned
God of War 3 cost $60m, God of War 3 was in development for 3 years, this project will be in development for 3 years. At best, it will cost $50m and that's excluding a possibility that SSM expanded. Again, not happening for Heavenly Sword.

actually GOW3 cost was 44m USD. There is an interview on IGN (I think) where one of the guy says it. It was first gen game where they had to develop tech. Sequel would not be more then 30m IMO.

And btw it's not HS2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Did some Vita prototye grow wheels and run over your cat or something?

I don't have a cat :p But really, how many games did Sony's A tier studios do for the PSP? How many do you think they'll do for the Vita? We've already had Naughty Dog flat out saying they are not planning anything for the Vita, going against the claims from a Sony rep that said they'd be on the Vita. Sony's Western top tier studios don't care about their handhelds.

Aren't Media Molecule working on a Vita exclusive?

I wouldn't call MM a top tier studio, but ymmv. But yeah, I think they're working on something for the Vita.

Games on the Vita should be appropriate for the platform.

God of War is much better suited as a console game, even though the God of War PSP games were great.

I don't know why anyone wants a God of War styled Vita game as opposed to a PS3 game. What I want from the Vita is more diversity of games that are better suited for handheld play, and with quality production values.

For instance, stuff like LittleBigPlanet and the like are perfect for Vita, and arguably better suited for it than on a console.

But not God of War.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Guerilla did the Killzone for PSP

Huh, you're right. I thought that was handed off to some B-team. Seems like they (well, SCE Cambridge) are working on some KZ game for Vita. So that's at least one top tier team supposedly doing something for the Vita. But nothing from Naughty Dog or SSM that we know of.

injurai

Banned
actually GOW3 cost was 44m USD. There is an interview on IGN (I think) where one of the guy says it. It was first gen game where they had to develop tech. Sequel would not be more then 30m IMO.

And btw it's not HS2.

Yeah this hits the nail on the head. The initial engine development is always the largest initial hurdle and budget drain come each gen. GoW4 will be much cheaper, unless they decide to spend a lot more time on art assets and other random stuff compared to the last game.

I really don't see SSM trading GOW which is a big seller, for Heavenly Sword which isn't close to a big a brand. They're both character action, so if they're doing another one of those games, it's going to have the GOW name on it. I think the only way a new HS game gets made is if it's done by a 2nd party dev.

I really don't see SSM trading GOW which is a big seller, for Heavenly Sword which isn't close to a big a brand. They're both character action, so if they're doing another one of those games, it's going to have the GOW name on it. I think the only way a new HS game gets made is if it's done by a 2nd party dev.

I agree, GOW is one of their best selling IPs, Heavenly Sword wasn't and likely won't ever be, it would also make no sense for SSM to bother with another studio's IP.

KingK

This reminds me, I still really need to play Ghost of Sparta. I've played all of the other GoW games, but this one is still $40 on PSN last I checked, when I could just pay $20 at amazon. But I don't want a UMD because then it'll be useless when I upgrade to a Vita. Sony needs to lower the price on that game right now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I still haven't finished Heavenly Sword; that last boss was incredibly hard. It's the only game this gen where I gave up due to the difficulty, and I have a plat in GoW3 :lol

I think HS2 on the GoW3 engine with SSM behind the helm could work, but that IP isn't a big seller. Majority of people would simply prefer GoW4 on the PS3, anything else from SSM except a new IP is just a waste of time.

KillGore

I agree, GOW is one of their best selling IPs, Heavenly Sword wasn't and likely won't ever be, it would also make no sense for SSM to bother with another studio's IP.

I don't think they would need to spend as much money on HS when compared to GOW, plus with HS you have new characters you could work with with and not have many problems, while in GOW you would need to consider all 5 games and see what you could use without twisting the story. I'm not saying it is HS but it wouldn't be such a bad idea either. It is a somewhat nameless IP but the dev behind it (if we assume it is Santa Monica) has a big name and I'm sure that if they do a good job, people will still buy the game.

B.O.O.M

I don't have a cat :p But really, how many games did Sony's A tier studios do for the PSP? How many do you think they'll do for the Vita? We've already had Naughty Dog flat out saying they are not planning anything for the Vita, going against the claims from a Sony rep that said they'd be on the Vita. Sony's Western top tier studios don't care about their handhelds.

I wouldn't call MM a top tier studio, but ymmv. But yeah, I think they're working on something for the Vita.

Well we can argue about the quality of the games (which I personally think are due to hardware limitations of the psp) but other than ND, almost every other sony first party team made games for the psp, including Guerrilla, Polyphony and Santa Monica

B.O.O.M

I think we will see significant improvements from GoW4 on the PS3, I really don't want it to be a PS4 launch title.

Yep I expect a similar situation to GOW 2 on the PS2 with the next GOW. It will be released near the end of the console life cycle and will make out jaws drop by exceeding expectations

i-Lo

If it's a home console GoW, it'll be SSM. If it's a Vita game, it'll be some other team since not even Sony's A-tier Western teams give a shit about the Vita.

While A-tier teams definitely handle bigger projects and a fair few first party franchises' portable successors have been given to other developers, I am pretty sure that they can't NOT give "shit" about Vita if Sony requires them to. That just sounds presumptuous and elitist.

All this talk about Heavenly Sword is making me sick.

So don't read. I don't get the point of posts like these. What's wrong with SSM taking the franchise to a whole new level? It is one of Sony's IP after all.

I'd love to see SSM take on HS. Loved Heavenly Sword.

But I'd much rather have God of War 4. As a reboot tho, or a new saga. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising.

Endo Punk

If it is a Heavenly Sword game than I am convinced it's a Vita title and nothing to do with SSM. Why would SSM work on this game when they have a similar and more interesting IP? Their focus should be on GOW IV or a whole new game, no this abortion clone of GOW.

Also 'revenge' and 'redemption' are generic terms used in every other action game so I wouldn't say the back of the the shitty HS box confirms the sequel.

I thought HS2 would've been a good choice for SSM when it was first rumored, but it really doesn't make sense when you think about it. Why would they want to make a sequel to a game that was largely seen as being heavily inspired by their most popular series? And why would Sony want to fund a sequel (one that would likely 15m+) to a game that just broke even? It really doesn't make sense from a developer standpoint or a financial standpoint.

If it is a Heavenly Sword game than I am convinced it's a Vita title and nothing to do with SSM. Why would SSM work on this game when they have a similar and more interesting IP? Their focus should be on GOW IV or a whole new game, no this abortion clone of GOW.

Also 'revenge' and 'redemption' are generic terms used in every other action game so I wouldn't say the back of the the shitty HS box confirms the sequel.

Uh, what? Why would it have nothing to do with SSM? According to the very same rumours that suggested Heavenly Sword 2, SSM pulled a Naughty Dog and split their main team in two (though I SSM haven't been a one team studio for like 8-9 years at this point, they've had smaller teams helping out other studios like Incog, thatgamecompany, etc).

As for why they'd work on this, maybe for the same reason Rockstar decided to make a sequel to Red Dead Revolver? It's an established franchise that they can do whatever the fuck they want with, hence the rumour that it's open world. God of War already has a huge fanbase, so they can't really experiment with it.

Well Anna Torv's(Nariko's VA) IMDb page states that she's wrapping up a Heavenly Sword animation for this year with Alfred Molina in it.

Who knows? It might be set to promote the announcement of the new game.

EXCITE!

<-- Loved Heavenly Sword.

Im playing through Origins Collection right now, and its a lot of fun but a bit tiring going through the motions again. If it is a new GoW, I say bring it on, hopefully with a new formula.

This won't be Heavenly Sword 2, there is too much evidence pointing towards God of War 4. But I don't get why the first one gets all the hate, I got the game along with Resistance with my PS3 on release and remember it being an awesome game, it had mo cap performances, a new and interesting story and fun gameplay. I know it was a short game, but so are loads of games which don't suffer the same criticism.

This won't be Heavenly Sword 2, there is too much evidence pointing towards God of War 4. But I don't get why the first one gets all the hate, I got the game along with Resistance with my PS3 on release and remember it being an awesome game, it had mo cap performances, a new and interesting story and fun gameplay. I know it was a short game, but so are loads of games which don't suffer the same criticism.

Plus, it was nice seeing a new, not sexed up female character.

Massa

Ninja Theory games tend to get very heated responses, one of the best things about them.

Loudninja

Maybe it'll be Heavenly Sword 2.
I really doubt it.

1.Both quotes together sounds like GOW
C1_STATIC_640x360_MB_01.jpg

Adding weight to this is the appearance of the letters "GOW" in the image's full URL. More specifically, "gowa_fb", which perhaps stands for "God of War announcement Facebook", or "God of War: unannounced subtitle".
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...god-of-war-sequel-announcement-with-new-image

3.From the Senior staff Programmer at SSM
The character on my screen is doing something very disturbing right now. I wish I could say more.
Everything fits with GOW
https://twitter.com/#!/rorydriscoll/status/190939799606140929

I am just not seeing any real hints about HS2.

Top Bottom