• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Ivy Bridge Reviews & Info — CPUs, Motherboards, Sandy Bridge Compatibility

aY0e7.jpg

Everything you would want to know about Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge-E, straight from Intel - 128 complete slides of info (downloadable .PDF, and .JPG) *very nearly everything

- Includes Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge cross-compatibility info, upcoming CPU line-up, and 7-series chipset specs

These are old, rumored prices, but I'll post them for anyone who still hasn't seen them.
Prices may, or may not, have changed. For now, anything that hasn't officially come from Intel is speculation, including this.

nZLvd.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
there was some board which allowed vsync at framerate higher than 60 fps. Which one is that?

Ivy Bridge launch is going to be a hell of a thing. So many folks on a collision course with reality.

there was some board which allowed vsync at framerate higher than 60 fps. Which one is that?
There are multiple boards with that feature. Essentially all of the majors are going to offer it on at least one model. Up until this point, Gigabyte happens to have been the most vocal.

Lucid Virtu MVP: What it is, and why you'll want it on your Intel/AMD motherboard

_woLf

Going from an E8400 Core 2 Duo to a 3770K Ivy Bridge. Going to be soooogooood. I understand Sandy Bridge owners being skeptical, but for those of us with really old CPUs it's going to be fantastic.

Can't decide between these two motherboards, though:

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

and

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe

I'm really having trouble finding a reason to pay $50 more for the Deluxe version...

Chanser

Going from an E8000 Core 2 Duo to a 3770K Ivy Bridge. Going to be soooogooood. I understand Sandy Bridge owners being skeptical, but for those of us with really old CPUs it's going to be fantastic.

Can't decide between these two motherboards, though:

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

and

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe

I'm really having trouble finding a reason to pay $50 more for the Deluxe version...

Get the pro, more usb than deluxe version.

The sabertooth version looks ridiculous.

aeroslash

Are those chips compatible with the socket 1155? I have an asrock p67 extreme with an i5, but i'm not really satisfied with it. I need more cores for modelling purposes, and if they are, maybe i'm going for a change..

Thoraxes

FINALLY.

I also like the integrated performance tests. Seems I may finally delve into the world of laptops for once.

NeOak

Worthwhile upgrade over the Q6600?

If you got Core 2 stuff, yeah. The performance increase is noticeable. Phenoms II have more or less a little bit more performance than Core 2s, and that 1100T runs at 3.3Ghz.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/9

Anand Lal Shimpi said:
There's not enough of an improvement to make existing SNB owners want to upgrade, but if you're still clinging to an old Core 2 (or earlier) system, Ivy will be a great step forward.

Thoraxes

Are those chips compatible with the socket 1155? I have an asrock p67 extreme with an i5, but i'm not really satisfied with it. I need more cores for modelling purposes, and if they are, maybe i'm going for a change..
From the Anandtech review:
Chipset Support
Ivy Bridge uses the same LGA-1155 socket as Sandy Bridge. Provided there's BIOS/UEFI support from your board maker, you can use Ivy Bridge CPUs in older 6-series motherboards. Doing so won't give you access to some of the newer 7-series chipset features like PCIe Gen 3 (some 6-series boards are claiming 3.0 support), native USB 3.0 (many 6-series boards have 3rd party USB 3.0 controllers) and Intel's Rapid Start Technology.

Alex

I went from an E8400 on stock to i5 750 @ 4.2 ghz, now I just feel lost, but nothing seem to really abuse my CPU in the least yet, so I guess I'm good where I am for now.

Chris R

Can't wait to put a 3770k + Z77 build together...

Maybe, might just see if a good GPU will fix my system since my 4870 is crap, Q9550 might be fast enough for me still.

Nice articles and links though, plenty of stuff to read tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah. If those benchmarks are what to expect, worst architecture upgrade ever. There's like no reason at all you'd want Ivy over Sandy (at least for mainstream performance sector, I'm sure integrated graphics for netbooks are improved). Guess we know the real reason for all the delays now.

could be a huge step forward for mainstream laptops. Those $400-500 generic laptops that all have integrated graphics should finally be able to play games fairly well.

I'm honestly waiting on Ivy Bridge so I can get a cheapish laptop that'll play minecraft :p

McHuj

I went from a Q9400 to an i5-2500, it was definitely noticeable especially with the faster DDR3 memory. Going from a slower Q6600 to an Ivy Bridge, will be an even bigger jump (and worth it imo).

well shit.

I hadn't been paying that close attention to ivy bridge besides the fact it was coming out the end of this month. That tweaktown article doesn't sound that promising especially since I plan on overclocking. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to hit since I'm waiting for nvidias next 600card anyway but this is kinda disappointing.

Will we ever see Dolphin benchmarks for SB/IB CPUs at default speeds? I need to know which of these is the best value to upgrade from an i3 2100. Will only buy a 3570k on sale on Black Friday if it continues to be the only "Dolphin-ready" CPU.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. You will see huge gains in performance in just about every game that you weren't already getting a consistent 60+ FPS. General OS performance will probably feel faster, too.

1-D_FTW

I need to know this too.

If you believe the above benchmark, it's identical to the equivalent 3570 at stock speeds. They're pretty much neck and neck in performance and wattage. The caveat being, the i5 2500k probably overclocks better (which they didn't do in those benchmarks).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If it runs hotter and overclocks worse I'm glad I didn't wait. Kind of negates the clock for clock benefit if true.

Looks like a downgrade compared to a 2600k. Runs much hotter, and its efficiency compared to the 2600k doesn't seem stable over every test.

Hell yeah! been waiting on Intel Ivy Bridge for about a year now.
I have a first gen i7 even before sandy bridge or anything.
This will be a nice upgrade! :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't call that exciting ...

I don't know, we're getting to the point where you can play games at decent resolutions and settings at playable framerates on IGPs.

I guess you could blame that on consoles lowering the bar for PC game requirements and it will all be moot when next-gen starts and requirements see a spike, but who knows?

muu

I don't know, we're getting to the point where you can play games at decent resolutions and settings at playable framerates on IGPs.

I guess you could blame that on consoles lowering the bar for PC game requirements and it will all be moot when next-gen starts and requirements see a spike, but who knows?

Scalability in PC games is probably here to stay for a long, long time. Why shut out 3/4 of the userbase when people without $500 graphics cards can just have a slightly less-impressive looking lighting system, which in most cases is indistinguishable anyway?

It's also the reason I'm torn over upgrading. I went from a E4300/Radeon X1950 to Q9300/Radeon 5770 just before FF14 launched, and because I don't do much PC gaming nowadays even this is pretty much overkill. The occasional glitch in video playback (more likely a MPC-HC issue as VLC doesn't have it), 4GB RAM limitation, and the relatively high idle power usage (it's a 24/7 media server/HTPC) are the only reasons I'm considering upgrading -- it's just questionable whether those are reasons enough to spend 4~500 bucks for CPU/RAM/MOBO.

theRizzle

If these previews (which I assuming are being done on engineering samples) end up being accurate representations of the final IB CPU's, I wonder what this is going to do to the prices of SB stuff.

Monarch

Banned
At stock, an i5 3570K is more efficient than a 2500K, consumes less and is cooler. But the moment you start OC the bad boy, temperatures will skyrocket and that is my only concern about this line of CPUs.
Need to see more reviews, and see how well they OC on air.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If these previews (which I assuming are being done on engineering samples) end up being accurate representations of the final IB CPU's, I wonder what this is going to do to the prices of SB stuff.

If Ivy's OCing really is worse than SB, SB prices probably won't change much since some enthusiasts will still jump at those instead for tasks where higher clocks can make a difference. Like emulation.

1-D_FTW

At stock, an i5 3570K is more efficient than a 2500K, consumes less and is cooler. But the moment you start OC the bad boy, temperatures will skyrocket and that is my only concern about this line of CPUs.
Need to see more reviews, and see how well they OC on air.

Except if the Tweaktown review is any indication, not really. There were some benchs where the 2500k was a frame or two quicker. It was pretty much a dead heat. And it was only 2 or 3 watts more efficient under load and idle than the 2500k. It's a COMPLETE disappointment if you're expecting anything over the 2500k in terms of performance/efficiency.

Top Bottom