• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 |OT| There's a Prototype 2?

Jintor

So I played a build of this a few months back at their Vancouver studio and it was pretty fun. Probably not gonna set the world on fire, but we'll at least nuke New York. (
Again.
)

This reminds me that I need to finish the first one. I will get this eventually, but likely at a bomba price. I liked the first one a lot. There was so much going on at any given time it could almost get overwhelming. I hope the sequel brings some of the encounters down a notch and refines everything.

The movement and sense of pure power in the first game have yet to be duplicated in any other game for me. It is a lot of fun to play, but not really for extended periods because you have 10 billion things trying to kill you at all times and that could get frustrating.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
7 is on the upper end of what I expected. It looks like the first, mindless destruction with a bad story. Might pick it up sub-$20.

jtrov

I had quite a bit of fun with Prototype 1, regardless of some of it's rough spots. I couldn't care less about the story, but I enjoyed the art-style, gameplay mehcanics, and overall feel of the game. There was certainly a distinct charm, running around such a grim and dark city with these mutated powers.

Wasn't really thinking about buying Prototype 2, but after watching a few videos the game looks pretty damn cool. Been craving a new Sandbox game after the dlc in Saints Row: The Third left me pretty disappointed. Should be a very fun distraction while waiting for Max Payne 3 to come out.

Also, is the RADnet stuff only available for pre-orders? From how some sites worded it, it sounded like it would be available to new copies bought within the "release window". I wanted to pick this up at Target for the free cases of soda, but I don't want to miss out on any content. :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I figured 7 or 8. Like I said, I assume the game will just be a fun explosiathon to kill time with in a similar way to Koei titles.

I never fell for their 'oh, he's a relatable guy' story. Come on, Radical. You say he's a good guy but let him slaughter everyone if the player chooses. And I'm not saying you should make them invincible. I'm saying that you should've never tried to play up the story to the game.

george_us

I have this coming in the mail tomorrow and I can't freaking wait. P1 is one of my favorite open world games this generation.

casabolg

Banned
I said before, the reason Prototype was popular was to combat InFamous on both a marketing and fanboy level.
Not surprised how quiet this is.

I said before, the reason Prototype was popular was to combat InFamous on both a marketing and fanboy level.
Not surprised how quiet this is.

Nah, it was a genuinely good game. Acti rarely advertise games that aren't CoD and if they do, they completely botch it.

Blur advertising, for example.

Razlo

Just played and beat Prototype this weekend. It's a little janky, but a lot of fun as well. Looking forward to picking up the sequel at midnight.

I had this game reserved on gamefly. Thought if I could return my game today, then I might be able to get it tomorrow.

But it turns out a day before release, the chances of getting it are already "Low."

Welp, lesson learned :/ On the bright side, that means I'll either get Reckoning, Darkness II or Transformers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why doesn't Alex Mercer use a keyboard?

Because he's too pro to type!

That's the extent of my contribution to this thread.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Infamous was PS3 exclusive? Prototype came out on all 3 platforms.

Top 10 Software Sales, June 2009

PROTOTYPE 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 419.9K
UFC 2009: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ 338.3K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 272.4K
WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA 360 THQ 199.4K
INFAMOUS PS3 SONY 192.7K

Come on son.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
had great love for the first game, one of my fav games this gen, hope this one is just as good

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Infamous was PS3 exclusive? Prototype came out on all 3 platforms.

Still wouldn't outsell InFamous if it was only getting hype because InFamous existed. Also, Prototype's GI cover story was in August 2007. InFamous's was in July 2008. The idea that Prototype only got coverage because InFamous existed is tin foil hat levels.

DTKT

Top 10 Software Sales, June 2009

PROTOTYPE 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD 419.9K
UFC 2009: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ 338.3K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS 272.4K
WII FIT WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA 360 THQ 199.4K
INFAMOUS PS3 SONY 192.7K

Come on son.

Damn bro. You sure told me.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I will buy this when it hits $40. I had a great time with the first one despite the massive difficulty spike in the later chapters.

The first one was hilariously morbid. I still remember the first time I hopped in a tank and drove down the streets. All those poor pedestrians. Some were even suicidal and would dive in front of me.

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, so I'll be checking this one out eventually. Too bad Redbox only offers the 360 version, or I'd just rent it from there.

Ranger X

Sad thing with the first one is that it played like a Prototype of a game. I had fun for 15 mins and there was more bugs in that 15 mins than in the entire GTA series. I hope this one will find its way.

Vorg

Banned
I beat the first one, but is was one of the jankiest 360 games I've played. Typical activision stuff tbqh.

d0c_zaius

I just finished my playthrough and got all the collectables.

It has some pleasant moments, and I still like the gameplay (not the hell camera though).

But it feels like this game should not have been made. It does nothing new, feels very unpolished and the story elements are not very compelling at all. You are basically doing the same 4 things over and over with variety only thought of towards the end during a couple of missions.

The dialogue in particular from the main character is really awkward at times. Its like Bulletstorm but bad.

AwShucks

as I said before, and now confirmed due to reviews, I'll pick it up sub $40.

Also, on the inFamous/Prototype debate (do I really want to interject myself?), I bought both on release and while I do enjoy inFamous more I didn't know about one due to the other. They both had a perfectly normal amount of exposure as far as I recall. I know people that love Prototype but have never really heard of inFamous (or know of it but nothing more than that), and vice versa. It's a stupid argument anyways.

george_us

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.
It was better balanced also. I loved the shit out of Prototype but the graphics were mediocre at best, unbalanced as hell, the story was a bit confusing, and the mission design wasn't really good as a whole. What Prototype DID do right is make you feel like an unstoppable force of nature whereas you felt like a weak bitch when playing as even a fully powered up Cole in inFamous.

First online reviews:
IGN - 7/10
CVG - 8/10
Destructoid - 8/10

Am I the only one who has a hard time to give Greg Miller any creditibility.
Maybe it has to do with all his WWE games reviews where he said that the games were now just as fun as they were on the n64.

Yeah, IGN, instead of firing guys like Matt Leone and Scooter Nguyen, you should fire this guy first.

If you hired guys like mr leone, scooter or Barnholt, i'd give your site more credibility.

KorrZ

I just finished my playthrough and got all the collectables.

It has some pleasant moments, and I still like the gameplay (not the hell camera though).

But it feels like this game should not have been made. It does nothing new, feels very unpolished and the story elements are not very compelling at all. You are basically doing the same 4 things over and over with variety only thought of towards the end during a couple of missions.

The dialogue in particular from the main character is really awkward at times. Its like Bulletstorm but bad.

This was my fear :\. Making Prototype again with minimal improvements. It's a shame, because with some actual effort Prototype could be an AMAZING franchise. The core gameplay is there, it just needs better missions and a lot of polish.

I'll pick it up when it drops to $20 or so.

Still think Prototype was the better game. IMO Infamous mostly got better press because it had more polish, and it was a an exclusive.

I think Prototype was much more fun at least, for sure. The gameplay really did well at making you feel like a god damn super human. inFamous had much more polish and better missions.

Top Bottom