• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
No, we need to watch the Sony conference. I predict that it will be unexpectedly, shockingly good or very nearly Konami good (there's a 1:400 spread there).

Sony's biggest problem has always been their on-stage personalities, in my opinion. Those guys put me to sleep.

Sony's biggest problem has always been their on-stage personalities, in my opinion. Those guys put me to sleep.
I don't think it's mainly the personalities, it's how much they concentrate on Powerpoint slides showing sales data, especially at the start. Sony believes in slowly building up to their news; compare that to the 2006 Nintendo conference, where they started with Miyamoto directing the orchestra, and moved straight onto a killer game-announcement montage, and then brought out an excited Reggie.

jacksrb

We knew Skyward Sword would be shown, so that was exciting (even if the actual demo was not so much, the game was fantastic, though).

fixed.

And I agree that E3 2010 was almost perfect content wise - (edit) but nothing is as exciting as new console hardware and launch games.

HylianTom

Banned
That, and they have this annoying tendency to spill the beans before the show even starts. I mean, surprises are THE big part of the fun. They're a company's easiest route to "winning" E3 - getting that big, dramatic moment of shock where the audience reaction is pure and visceral, a moment that ends-up replayed over and over again, and talked about on podcasts and in articles.

Nintendo obviously understands this principle. I wonder if Sony has caught-on yet.

guek

Banned
Skyward sword is such an awesome game, but I don't think it's well suited for today's gaming audience. I really think it would have been MUCH better received last gen (though fi would have still been annoying).

What I hope is that the next zelda takes TP and SS and forces them to have to hot steamy sex. 2 years of dev time later and out pops the best zelda ever!

That, and they have this annoying tendency to spill the beans before the show even starts. I mean, surprises are THE big part of the fun. They're a company's easiest route to "winning" E3 - getting that big, dramatic moment of shock where the audience reaction is pure and visceral, a moment that ends-up replayed over and over again, and talked about on podcasts and in articles.

Nintendo obviously understands this principle. I wonder if Sony has caught-on yet.

Some might suggest that Nintendo adheres a little too much to this principle. I mean, it's been quite a long time with very little information coming from their mouths or publicly from developers. This can bite them in the rear under some circumstances (eg, "Will certain segments of the market who have been told for months that the Wii U is slower than the Xbox 360 actually believe Nintendo when
or if
they finally state that this is not the case?").

Looking forward to bg's pre-e3 reveal!

Sounds like it's a feature of the system (hardware of software) which we have yet to learn about. Wonder if it's on the same level as NFC or more like the "digital click."

Grymm

Banned

So true.

Moments like Miyamoto asking the crowd to turn off their wireless devices because Skyward Sword was bugging out will never be forgotten.

I wonder if large amounts of wireless devices in the vicinity will effect a WiiU on stage demo? E3 needs more moments like those.

guek

Banned
Looking forward to bg's pre-e3 reveal!

Sounds like it's a feature of the system (hardware of software) which we have yet to learn about. Wonder if it's on the same level as NFC or more like the "digital click."

Wii U is a combination hookah and coffee maker. Also makes julienne fries!

Skyward sword is such an awesome game, but I don't think it's well suited for today's gaming audience. I really think it would have been MUCH better received last gen (though fi would have still been annoying).

What I hope is that the next zelda takes TP and SS and forces them to have to hot steamy sex. 2 years of dev time later and out pops the best zelda ever!

This would deprive me of bitter tears that I so enjoy reading. I'm angling for a merging of the art styles of The Wind Waker and The Wand of Gamelon. I mean, no matter what it looks like, the game will still play like an awesome action adventure anyway, so I'll be sated no matter the art style.

My fingers really wanted me to type "The Wang of Gamelon"

HylianTom

Banned
Some might suggest that Nintendo adheres a little too much to this principle. I mean, it's been quite a long time with very little information coming from their mouths or publicly from developers. This can bite them in the rear under some circumstances (eg, "Will certain segments of the market who have been told for months that the Wii U is slower than the Xbox 360 actually believe Nintendo when
or if
they finally state that this is not the case?").
True. Nintendo might end-up hitting us with surprise after surprise, and we'll hit our limit where we can only talk about and think about and get hyped about so much. It's why I don't think it'd hurt them to reveal a little bit this week at that investors' meeting. It'd be great for whetting the appetites of both their investors and.. us.

Maybe brag a bit about the machine's abilties?
Tease a final secret about the controller?
Show a game or two that's coming?

There'll still be plenty of beans to spill at E3, even if they share some of this stuff this week.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So true.

Moments like Miyamoto asking the crowd to turn off their wireless devices because Skyward Sword was bugging out will never be forgotten.

I wonder if large amounts of wireless devices in the vicinity will effect a WiiU on stage demo? E3 needs more moments like those.
Problems due to interfering devices can be prevented by using a corded controller. It's however not a good solution as some people might think the console won't include a wireless controller, even if Nintendo explicitly explains the setup. At least on E3.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Rösti;37210920 said:
Problems due to interfering devices can be prevented by using a corded controller. It's however not a good solution as some people might think the console won't include a wireless controller, even if Nintendo explicitly explains the setup. At least on E3.

Yep.... Especially because of last year's reaction...

"Nintendo have made an add-on for the Wii?! It's a tablet?!"

Has the Gamasutra Nintendoomed thing been posted yet?

Yep

Now pimping my own ruminations and JJS's pretty chart:

«The Wii U, which Olson and Connor expect will ship in the fall of this year with a price tag of $299 or greater, is forecast to sell only 35 percent of the volume of the original Wii during its first 14 months, due to "disappointing" hardware specs and competition from the mobile games industry.»

Wait, what?

A) The original Wii was substantially supply-constrained for the first 14 (and many more) months. Performance 35% of that would be a little below Gamecube levels*. Frankly, this seems a bit off given the continuing momentum of existing Nintendo software franchises. It would have been better (albeit still terrible) to try to figure out how much Wii's sales demand for the first 14 months were and then take a third of that, even though that's pretty impossible. They're forecasting a nearly dead system despite the market for console gaming having grown markedly since the PS2/GCN/XBX generation.

B) The Wii was far more disappointing in hardware specs for its time than the Wii U. It used an out of date type of gpu (lacking, for instance, modern shaders), whereas the Wii U's is out of the gate not out of date (it pretty much will have all relevant gpu features that the competing future system are expected to have. Moreso, while the Wii was phenomenally slower than the competition from Day One, the Wii U will be the most powerful system on the market for perhaps as much as a year.

C) I can't speak from authority about competition from the mobile games industry, but neither can the analyst here. There's one slightly similar feature between the Wii U and the market segment involving cell phones and tablets, and beyond that the systems are substantially different. This seems to be the case where the system principally caters to the home console market and also extends a small reach into the mobile market. That would seem to suggest an expansion of the relevant markets that the system can appeal to, not a constriction from one market in which the manufacturer was previously dominant into a market in which it is not.

In conclusion: I don't have the answers, and I really can't say how well the system will sell, but the analyst here misses several important points in his single sentence. This may throw off the given projections.

*Gamecube was considered a crushing defeat in a market much smaller than the current one.

Boy, they expect some real shit. It doesn't say WHEN 2014 they expect the next Xbox, so I'll assume late like the others.
2014-11-19

Six years ago their big quiet from Remote announcement to E3 showing was 8 months.

Holy crap, investors are predicting that Nintendo is going to win using the most negative possible wording. I'm… kind of impressed.

Anyway, tablets and cellphones have been huge for a couple years now, and it hasn't really put a crippling ding on the market thus far. One of the three consoles on the market is following a fairly normal end-of-gen dropoff, while the other two are doing far better in this point of their lives than previous generations have shown with their respective products. Why would this market, which seems overall much healthier during any transitional period before it (arguably with the last one being an exception, I suppose), suddenly implode?

«The firm believes that this will be down to the next Xbox being "an incremental improvement, not a quantum leap" over its predecessor.»

Also, I missed this the first time. Science-me is extra angry at these analysts for not understanding the basic, basic principle that a "quantum leap" is by definition an "incremental improvement" of the smallest possible order. Damnit, world-at-large, stop getting this wrong all the time! RAAAARGH! >:O

I don't think it's mainly the personalities, it's how much they concentrate on Powerpoint slides showing sales data, especially at the start. Sony believes in slowly building up to their news; compare that to the 2006 Nintendo conference, where they started with Miyamoto directing the orchestra, and moved straight onto a killer game-announcement montage, and then brought out an excited Reggie.

To me, they just seem less fun. Sony have had some great surprises this generation, I enjoyed the ice cream truck coming out for the Twisted Metal announcement, and Glados' voice followed by Gaben coming on stage -- but then they also have this really lame, false sounding enthusiasm coming from the likes of Tretton, and they wheel out EA execs to explain how excited they are about Tiger Woods on Move or something... I wasn't really impressed by Kevin Butler either. I mean, great, here's this actor - who you've paid to try and be the next cult-of-Reggie style online phenom, you've had him around for a few months, and now we're meant to weep and applaud when you bring him out on stage? He's manufactured. At least Reggie is an actual exec with a background for Viacom / VH1 etc, and his first E3 introduction was great... Microsoft have went through the entire spectrum of good and bad at multiple E3s. They've shown some great things, had some great ideas, but they had the Rock on stage with Bill Gates, they brought out a guy who demonstrated Avatars while wearing shades the entire time, they obviously weed out developers who can possibly demo things, and allow only the most hip (in a Poochie from the Simpsons sense) to take the Stage. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, the last few years have been rife with people telling Xbox what to do and flailing around in front of it, kids pretending to be hugged by lions etc. I can't think of any other way they'd have communicated those ideas, but like Sony, it all has the cynical air of marketing that almost makes you feel insulted.

Nintendo has that too at times, but one thing about the woeful 2008 showing I liked was how earnest they were and how enthused they were about duds like Wii Music.. 99% of the time, they're actually not that PR savvy. Miyamoto has came out once or twice and said modest things that practically pour cold water on our hype. Then at other times, they are VERY PR savvy... those lifestyle ads they do for the Wii, and the Wii-U reveal ad, show a very solid level of marketing professionalism and self awareness, and when they've had us jumping for joy with Mario, Zelda and Metroid announcements, you just know they are acutely aware of how to tug the heartstrings of the masses...

AzaK

So bg, if you're saying your predictions about specs were right, I assume that means 1.5GB RAM? Bummer. What else did you predict? Please just tell us and don't be an Ideaman (Assuming you're allowed)

And HylianTom, dud you become privvy to info too?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
TBH I think Dark Souls has done the Zelda formula better than Zelda has in years.

This statement always has and continues to bother me to this very day. The only thing dark souls does better than modern Zelda's in comparison to classic Zelda is a sense of discovery, enemy encounters, and difficulty (this games difficulty only appeals to a specific niche audience in the first place and has no place in any general modern gaming single player environment) . I mean it doesn't even have well thought out puzzles or clever dungeon design, staples of the zelda franchise from the first game up until now.

i really hope your trolling

I'm praying he is.

Rösti;37209976 said:
I believe the presentation should be posted on Thursday even, with a little luck. The exact official time I don't know, but Bloomberg Businessweek has it listed as following:

Source: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/earnings/earnings.asp?ticker=NTDOY:US

This converts to 05:00 PM JST on the 26th of April. The earnings release should anyway be readily available.

This presentation is most likely the last opportunity for a name change. They won't want name talk to be the discussion at E3. If the system is still called the Wii U by the end of this meeting, odds are 99.9999999999999% that it will be the final name of the system.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This presentation is most likely the last opportunity for a name change. They won't want name talk to be the discussion at E3. If the system is still called the Wii U by the end of this meeting, odds are 99.9999999999999% that it will be the final name of the system.

I don't think they're changing it--didn't Rosti say they fixed the copyright issue?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they're changing it--didn't Rosti say they fixed the copyright issue?
They still have to fix it in Europe and the United States, but they are good to go in Australia, Japan and Mexico. Recent developments point to that Nintendo is keen on keeping the name.

daakusedo

I don't remember if it was last or 2010 e3, but sony conf was a pain to watch due to the main speaker talking so solemnly when he was just selling us some video games and not the better. Indecent.
The guy thought he was in politics or something...

VAPitts

Rösti;37209976 said:
I believe the presentation should be posted on Thursday even, with a little luck. The exact official time I don't know, but Bloomberg Businessweek has it listed as following:

Source: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/earnings/earnings.asp?ticker=NTDOY:US

This converts to 05:00 PM JST on the 26th of April. The earnings release should anyway be readily available.

why are they have it at that time? is it after the stocks close or something?

This statement always has and continues to bother me to this very day. The only thing dark souls does better than modern Zelda's in comparison to classic Zelda is a sense of discovery, enemy encounters, and difficulty (this games difficulty only appeals to a specific niche audience in the first place and has no place in any general modern gaming single player environment) . I mean it doesn't even have well thought out puzzles or clever dungeon design, staples of the zelda franchise from the first game up until now.

If Nintendo need to look at external games for the next Zelda game they should be looking at Portal, not DS or Skyrim.

heh... I guess I am the only one here who wants to see Sony/MS E3 showing more and more to see how Nintendo's nextgen battle is going to shape up

that Monday will be insanely good :)

HylianTom

Banned
So bg, if you're saying your predictions about specs were right, I assume that means 1.5GB RAM? Bummer. What else did you predict? Please just tell us and don't be an Ideaman (Assuming you're allowed)

Nah. I made an offer to sources here on the board some time ago where they could send me info via clearly-labeled emails and I would refuse to open those emails until E3.

Everyone gets something from this deal:
- we get proven sources that feel safe in revealing information.
- sources get a safe means through which to disseminate information while remaining anonymous.

I swore not to open the emails or reveal identities on my dearly departed dog, Jake. To me, an oath on Jake is as solemn as it gets. (it may sound cheesy or sappy, but.. that's how it is for me.)

So I have email in my inbox that remains unopened.. and i remain, uhh..,non-privvy. :)

Then again, those emails could be jokey crap emails, in which case I end-up looking like a fool. But given the potential gain, I'd say it's worth that risk. We shall see..

Redford

aka Cabbie
heh... I guess I am the only one here who wants to see Sony/MS E3 showing more and more to see how Nintendo's nextgen battle is going to shape up

that Monday will be insanely good :)

Anyone think they'd ever reveal a console post-E3 to circumvent their promise?

(not that I would be surprised to see them not honor it)

Has Nintendo made any comments about implementing a trophy/achievement system in the Wii U? It's never been an important feature to me, but it seems like a lot of people (particularly the more hardcore gamers) have become fairly attached to those systems. There have even been people on this forum that refused to buy early PS3 games (like Valkyria Chronicles) due to it not having trophy support. And i've seen several gaming sites talking about how addictive they are. I doubt that it'd hurt the potential success of the system if it isn't there, but it does seem like something that people would complain about.

Anth0ny

This is false.

Also, where the hell did this come from, why even bring it up?

It's the Wii U speculation thread. Anything and everything can be brought up.

The scale and density of the Dark Souls overworld is something I'd like to see in the next Zelda, instead of huge, empty fields, oceans or skies.

Yikes, now I'm getting scared again. Have any (reasonable) devs hinted at RAM size?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Has Nintendo made any comments about implementing a trophy/achievement system in the Wii U? It's never been an important feature to me, but it seems like a lot of people (particularly the more hardcore gamers) have become fairly attached to those systems. There have even been people on this forum that refused to buy early PS3 games (like Valkyria Chronicles) due to it not having trophy support. And i've seen several gaming sites talking about how addictive they are. I doubt that it'd hurt the potential success of the system if it isn't there, but it does seem like something that people would complain about.

I think having any kind of meta-game system is a good idea, in the long run. There are people who take it to immature extremes, but overall I think it's nice to have secondary objectives in games, as long as they're well done.

Nintendo would probably put a better spin on the idea, I expect.

you can't interact with the souls worlds much. it should be more like elder scrolls with plates and pots and forks. and foods.

I think at least in the way Anth0ny compares it to the original Zelda, they are quite similar.

It's the Wii U speculation thread. Anything and everything can be brought up.

The scale and density of the Dark Souls overworld is something I'd like to see in the next Zelda, instead of huge, empty fields, oceans or skies.

These things can be nice if intended (see SotC), but yeah that's not the case with the games I think you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom