• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

Road

The 3DS hasn't dropped below 60k this year, the last week the 3DS had no new releases it still sold 67k, and the week before that with no new releases it sold 75k and even on weeks where there was small debuts like Harvest Moon or M&S it still sold over 60k. Its safe to say the 3DS' minimum baseline is 60k.
It is not safe.

But you can assume anything you want.

It is not safe.

But you can assume anything you want.
Well you can take it all the way to last year where after the price drop the 3DS only dropped below 60k 4 times and it was still selling above 50k. With the lineup so solid this year, you really doubt the 3DS' minimum baseline is 60k? Ok then.

Add to the fact that everything is dropping in sales, 3DS is the only candidate to pick up the slack.

RE: What kind of games could "save" the Vita? Presumably we're operating on the assumption that the kind of games that did well on PSP would do on Vita, and that to have PSP-like success, the Vita should have a PSP-like library. In reality there could be a new trend, one which couldn't simply be predicted by looking at what did well on the PSP. But assuming the PSP->Vita link and isolating for games selling above 200k on PSP, here's what we get

Monster Hunter (+ similar games like God Eater)
Final Fantasy (+ spinoffs like Dissidia, Tactics)
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid
Phantasy Star
Tales
Gundam / Super Robot Wars
Musou

Other:
Sports (Baseball, Soccer, Hot Shots Golf)
Games related to Idols (AKB48 games, Hatsune Miku)
Racing Games (GTP, Ridge Racer)
One-offs or misc: Little Battlers, Yakuza, Taiko Drum Master, The Third Birthday, Persona 3 Portable, Star Ocean remake
Its funny that most of these franchises have already appeared on the 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One of the biggest problems the Vita faces for the next year or so is, and I know this sounds silly to any serious gamer, the lack of a UMD drive.

3DS replaced the DS very quickly in Japan and really did the job by the time of the pricecut. Sure, the DS hasn't had too many major releases in the past year but even when it did people didn't go out and start buying DSi's, they bought 3DS's instead.

PSP's software is relatively strong however and whenever it gets a major release people buy...PSP's. The price difference between the two consoles isn't even that large a factor so one would reason that if it had a UMD drive many people would be picking up a Vita instead.

Salvadora

One of the biggest problems the Vita faces for the next year or so is, and I know this sounds silly to any serious gamer, the lack of a UMD drive.

3DS replaced the DS very quickly in Japan and really did the job by the time of the pricecut. Sure, the DS hasn't had too many major releases in the past year but even when it did people didn't go out and start buying DSi's, they bought 3DS's instead.

PSP's software is relatively strong however and whenever it gets a major release people buy...PSP's. The price difference between the two consoles isn't even that large a factor so one would reason that if it had a UMD drive many people would be picking up a Vita instead.

I'll be interested to see 3DS hardware when Pokemon Black 2/White 2 release.

Owzers

How long can Sony realistically keep Vita on shelves with this level of demand?

It's never left the shelf!

statler_waldorf_02_01.jpg

Well the real problem I see here is , what the heck was Sony thinking when they made the UMD?! Its amazing how much its come back to bite them in the butt.

Road

andriasang saying "It should be noted that Nintendo released a 3DS hardware bundle for the game. However, this was sold exclusively through Nintendo's own e-Shop and does not appear to be included in Media Create's sales."

is this correct?

(After having to bypass my workplace internet filters...) I see the 4Gamer title listing does not have the observation about bundles, so it seems they are not included.

i2ZHiIgaXDrG1.JPG

Again, hopefully we'll hear about it conclusively from Media Create tomorrow.

Taker666

Could Golden Week give a bump to Vita?
I mean, there are no relevant software releases but GW usually sees an overall sales boost.

Some Vita game called Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta is being released this week..and it's doing well for pre-orders at Amazon Japan.It could even make the top 5 going by sales there.

The Vita also seems to be doing better at Amazon.co.jp (and the 3DS worse)..as usually most colours of the 3DS outsell Vita..but the last few days Vita has been above all 3DS models.

..although considering the only other Vita game in the top 100 is Persona 4 (not due until June 14th)..I don't expect there to be much to shout about after Golden week.

Chunky

Well it is inevitable.
The Japanese are not rational consumers like the rest of the world, they are in fact irrational and insane human beings. Put Monster Hunter 4 on Vita and we will see them tearing down shopping centres just to get it first, there will be assaults against staff and other customers, but the Police will only punish the offenders by confiscating their Monster Hunter 4. Unfortunatly there will be no trial as the Monster Hunter 4 evidence will likely go missing on transit, whilst for purely coincidental reasons, emergency response rates will be non-existant as the emergency services appear to be 'doing something else'.

Even if MH4 is launched on 3DS, it won't matter as customers will want the best graphical version and even if its not very superior - they will buy BOTH versions due to the fact Japan has an endless supply of money (they likely steal this of North Korea who are actually a very nice country secretly) and so can afford it.

And this is just for anyone who asks why its not okay to say Monster Hunter will save Vita, and why they tend to be looking down on Japan when they claim Japan will somehow take all its clothes off and whore itself out for one single copy of a game that to Japanese customers is supposedly like a drug.

And I haven't even mentioned the business sense of Capcom even making MH4 for Vita, so am not saying it won't happen (but I would say that ;)), but that even if it did - it would not have the affect some seem to expect.

Shitpost or satire, it's getting hard to tell.
Capcom are not going to develop an HD monhun exclusively for vita, the best it can hope for is P3rd G (unlikely) or maybe something a few years after 4 (probably be too late by then)

So did sony just expect PSP gamers to make the jump to vita regardless of software?

I don't think they actually expected anything beyond:
Product+Market = Sales

Doesn't appear to be any real thinking behind the Vita. Which is backed up by its rather scatter-shot features.

Does anyone seriously think Sony would kill of the Vita? I can't see that happening unless Sony gives up on the gaming sector altogether. Whether the Vita sells well or collects dust on store shelves, Sony will never kill it.

Edit: I have always been amazed that Nintendo from the gameboy on has always dominated the handheld market, it really is an astounding achievement considering how long they have been making handhelds.

tuffy

This is exactly right. PSP software, bought at retail on little discs, can't be plugged into the Vita. So the Vita is essentially non-backwards-compatible and has to start from scratch.

But discs turned out to be a dead-end anyway for portables. So what Sony really needs is a time machine to make the marginally successful PSP use some sort of solid state medium which wouldn't be so difficult to bring to a new device. That way successful PSP software could boost Vita sales and usher customers onto new hardware.

I have to hand it to Nintendo. After the abysmal 2011, they really planned 3DS software out much better and more efficiently this year with a steady stream of games. January had Resident Evil; February had Theatrhythm and Love Plus; March had MGS3D, Mario & Sonic, Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts; April has Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors; May has Mario Tennis and Dragon Quest Monsters; June has Pokemon Black/White 2(DS game but still), July has Etrian Odyssey 4, Little Battlers, and Taiko Drum Master(not sure how well any of these will really sell though); August has NSMB2 and Oni Training was promised to release this summer so I'd guess July.

Of course they did, sony is the company that thought they'd get 5 million people to buy ps3 with no games
Yeah I think they would've learned from their mistakes though. If Nintendo struggled with the 3DS a little bit and they were coming off the DS, I can't imagine what Sony thought would happen with the Vita.

Could Golden Week give a bump to Vita?
I mean, there are no relevant software releases but GW usually sees an overall sales boost.
I think there will be a small boost but Wii will undoubtedly outsell it next week with Mario Party 9.

they did forget that Japan is iffy about DD right? Right?

I don't know how they would forget the PSP Go.

Does anyone seriously think Sony would kill of the Vita? I can't see that happening unless Sony gives up on the gaming sector altogether. Whether the Vita sells well or collects dust on store shelves, Sony will never kill it.

One could argue they are already killing it right now! :p

The PSP continued to sell despite the DS' domination, never dipping to the lows that the Vita is experiencing and even had a semi revival in terms of market leadership and third party support. Nintendo is much more aggressive this time to prevent this from happening. They're basically GC-ing the Vita.

Well it must be also remembered that while those 3DS numbers are healthy they are far cry from numbers DS did during its second year. Whole handheld market is down compared to last gen. 3DS doing great instead of amazing and Vita doing poorly instead of average.

I don't think Sony will kill it right away. It's still good hardware. I think they will re-evaluate what is currently going wrong. And possibly even try to a soft relaunch of the hardware with a revision and a planned line up of games before they kill it.

jimmypython

RE: What kind of games could "save" the Vita? Presumably we're operating on the assumption that the kind of games that did well on PSP would do on Vita, and that to have PSP-like success, the Vita should have a PSP-like library. In reality there could be a new trend, one which couldn't simply be predicted by looking at what did well on the PSP. But assuming the PSP->Vita link and isolating for games selling above 200k on PSP, here's what we get

Monster Hunter (+ similar games like God Eater)
Final Fantasy (+ spinoffs like Dissidia, Tactics)
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid
Phantasy Star
Tales
Gundam / Super Robot Wars
Musou

Other:
Sports (Baseball, Soccer, Hot Shots Golf)
Games related to Idols (AKB48 games, Hatsune Miku)
Racing Games (GTP, Ridge Racer)
One-offs or misc: Little Battlers, Yakuza, Taiko Drum Master, The Third Birthday, Persona 3 Portable, Star Ocean remake

There is no reason for the publishers to put those franchises on Vita with the current 3DS install base out there. And 3DS's the horse power is more than enough to handle those titles at a PSP level quality, which is adequate for gamers to enjoy.

So it really comes down to SCEJ's move, i.e. money hat.

Truth101

Banned
(After having to bypass my workplace internet filters...) I see the 4Gamer title listing does not have the observation about bundles, so it seems they are not included.

i2ZHiIgaXDrG1.JPG

Again, hopefully we'll hear about it conclusively from Media Create tomorrow.

Quick question would that mean the 1st week sales for FE are greater also?

I don't think Sony will kill it right away. It's still good hardware. I think they will re-evaluate what is currently going wrong and possibly even try to a soft relaunch of the hardware with a revision and a planned line up of games before they kill it.

I don't think they will kill it at all, i just can't see it happening. I think we all know Vita will make some headway sooner or later in sales and honestly, i don't want Sony to kill it, Nintendo has been on the ball since Vita started selling.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the bump will be sizable but not enormous. I'm more curious how big the DSi bump will be :p

Unless Nintendo does something dumb like make a DSi LL or DSi bundle with it, they are probably only going to double or so if they move at all.

Meanwhile a 3DS bundle could do a huge number...

I wonder which of these paths Nintendo would choose.

FoneBone

Well the real problem I see here is , what the heck was Sony thinking when they made the UMD?! Its amazing how much its come back to bite them in the butt.

At the time of the PSP's release, I don't think that the level of storage capacity they wanted was feasible on solid state media (at mass-produced cartridge prices).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Its funny that most of these franchises have already appeared on the 3DS.

There is no reason for the publishers to put those franchises on Vita with the current 3DS install base out there. And 3DS's the horse power is more than enough to handle those titles at a PSP level quality, which is adequate for gamers to enjoy.

Well, without evaluating how things perform on PSP versus 3DS versus Vita, if the 3DS locks up the types of games and franchises that made then PSP a success, then the Vita's success, then it certainly stands to reason that Sony's path to success would have to be different than simply repeating the PSP's success.

BowieZ

Banned
Unless Nintendo does something dumb like make a DSi LL or DSi bundle with it, they are probably only going to double or so if they move at all.

Meanwhile a 3DS bundle could do a huge number...

I wonder which of these paths Nintendo would choose.
Surely the B2/W2 bundles will be black and white 3DSes emblazoned with special iconography like with all these other bundles? And maybe throw in the AR searcher game and Pokedex Pro apps as pre-downloaded software?

That free in-store visibility would also certainly contribute toward the marketing and publicity of the standalone Pokemon apps themselves.

Ragus

Banned
I think the bump will be sizable but not enormous. I'm more curious how big the DSi bump will be :p

Nintendo should consider releasing a bundle pak with 3DS+Pokemon B/W2+digital download code for that new Pokedex 3D which was announced at Nintendo Direct.

Top Bottom