• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I'm actually tempted to go out and buy a Vita on my lunch break.....

I love me some Marvel vs Capcom 3 but I'm wondering if there are other games currently on the platform to make it worth the investment. Really hoping FFX hurries up, lol

Koroviev

I love me some Marvel vs Capcom 3 but I'm wondering if there are other games currently on the platform to make it worth the investment. Really hoping FFX hurries up, lol

Wipeout 2048, Rayman Origins, BlazBlue, Hot Shots Golf, Mutant Blobs Attack and then Gravity Rush in June.

Edit: Also PSP games.

ReaperXL7

It depends on what kind of games your interested in. I bought the Vita for a few different reasons. The games I wanted at/near launch were Rayman Origins, Lumines, Unit 13, and Disgaea 3 and none of them disappointed me, wipeout was also a great surprise as i'm not really a racing game fan very much.

There is also a bunch of stuff coming that i'm excited for like Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, DJ Max Technika Tune, LBP, a possible Killzone etc. Then adding in all the PSP games I wanted, but never got to play, PS1 support coming, and it being a solid multimedia device it was a good purchase for me.

I would say your best bet is to go check one out at a local retailers kiosk and get a feel for it personally, thats the best way to tell if you find vaule in what it offers.

Bukana

These are the ones coming out for next two to three months:

-Gravity Rush
-MGS 2+3 HD Collection
-Virtue's Last Reward (999's Sequel)
-Mortal Kombat
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories
-Little Big Planet
-Resistance: Burning Skies
-Killzone
-Warrior's Lair
-Dragon's Crown
-Madden NFL 13
-Street Fighter X Tekken
-Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock
-DJMax Technika Tune

Already released games:

-Rayman Origins
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
-Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3
-Dynasty Warriors Next
-Fifa
-Shinobido 2 : Revenge Of Zen
-Escape Plan
-MotorStorm: RC
-Army Corps of Hell
-BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
-Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
-Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
-Hustle Kings
-ModNation Racers: Road Trip
-Reality Fighters
-Touch My Katamari
-MLB 12: The Show
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-Lumines Electronic Symphony
-Plants vs. Zombies
-Everybody's Golf 6
-PSP Games On PSN

Announced Games With No Dates OR Localization:

-Persona 4: The Golden
-Ragnarok Odyssey
-Tales Of Innosence R
-Lord Of Apocalypse
-Call Of Duty
-Soul Sacrifice
-Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
-FFX HD
-Little King's Story 2
-Little Deviants
-Dust 514
-BioShock
-Assassin's Creed
-Zone of the Enders HD Collection

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
After being unsure and asking some questions a few pages back I ordered a Vita, Wifi model with a 16GB card and some case for like £200 I think it was, also picked up Uncharted: GA for £22 of eBay.

Pretty excited for it coming, it's been a long time since I've picked up a game this close to launch, looking forward to Gravity Rush when it comes out and hopefully PS1 emulation is here soon.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Here are my plausible list of games for this E3:

- MediEvil 3
- Ratchet and Clank
- New From Software Souls game
- GTA V confirmed for Vita
- A ton of cool looking downloadable games

I'll be very happy with that.

-Gravity Rush
-MGS 2+3 HD Collection
-Virtue's Last Reward (999's Sequel)
-Mortal Kombat
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories
-Little Big Planet
-Resistance: Burning Skies
-Killzone
-Warrior's Lair
-Dragon's Crown
-Madden NFL 13
-Street Fighter X Tekken
-Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock
-DJMax Technika Tune

Already released games:

-Rayman Origins
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
-Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3
-Dynasty Warriors Next
-Fifa
-Shinobido 2 : Revenge Of Zen
-Escape Plan
-MotorStorm: RC
-Army Corps of Hell
-BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
-Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
-Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
-Hustle Kings
-ModNation Racers: Road Trip
-Reality Fighters
-Touch My Katamari
-MLB 12: The Show
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-Lumines Electronic Symphony
-Plants vs. Zombies
-Everybody's Golf 6
-PSP Games On PSN

Announced Games With No Dates OR Localization:

-Persona 4: The Golden
-Ragnarok Odyssey
-Tales Of Innosence R
-Lord Of Apocalypse
-Call Of Duty
-Soul Sacrifice
-Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
-FFX HD
-Little King's Story 2
-Little Deviants
-Dust 514
-BioShock
-Assassin's Creed
-Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Dragon's Crown got delayed to 2013, and I think Zone of the Enders was announced for a western release.

spats

GTA V Vita is a crazy pipe dream in my opinion. MediEvil 3 isn't an impossibility though. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Here are my plausible list of games for this E3:

- MediEvil 3
- Ratchet and Clank
- New From Software Souls game
- GTA V confirmed for Vita
- A ton of cool looking downloadable games

I'll be very happy with that.

How is that plausible ;P

Maybe a spinoff... but isn't rockstar mobile busy porting stuff to ios these days?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
A GTAV port seems likely to me. Obviously they would have to gimp it a lot (unless Rockstar really understands how to develop Vita games), but R* has always been a supporter of Sony's hardware, and I'm sure Kaz would do anything in order to have a game this big on the platform.

Massa

As we're talking about GTA, are the Stories any good? Anyone know the download size for them?

I only played Vice City Stories and it sucks. The story is god-awful and the gameplay was already dated back when it came out, let alone now.

It's worth only for being Victy City, so there's that, but I'd still rather play the PC version of the main game to get that kind of fix.

Chinatown Wars on the other hand is one of the best games on the PSP. Better mission design, controls, very good writing, well suited for quick sessions.

Spiegel

GTA V Vita is a crazy pipe dream in my opinion. MediEvil 3 isn't an impossibility though. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Medievil 3 is an impossibility. SCE Cambridge is working on Killzone Vita and the studio is basically a Guerrilla games subsidiary now.

spats

As we're talking about GTA, are the Stories any good? Anyone know the download size for them?

Vice City stories is really, really good. Some of the later missions are hard as fuck, but it's everything you'd expect from a ps2-era GTA game. Production values are amazing, technically solid and controls well on the Vita.

Don't remember the exact download size since I've deleted the game off my system because of my tiny memory card, but the EU version was propably around 1.4 gigs.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The chances of a MediEvil 3 will slightly increase tomorrow if it is revealed that Sir Dan Fortesque is a character on Sony's upcoming Smash clone.

spats

Medievil 3 is an impossibility. SCE Cambridge is working on Killzone Vita and the studio is basically a Guerrilla games subsidiary now.

Why would Cambridge have to do it? A franchise migrating from one first party developer to another wouldn't be unheard of.

A GTAV port seems likely to me. Obviously they would have to gimp it a lot (unless Rockstar really understands how to develop Vita games), but R* has always been a supporter of Sony's hardware, and I'm sure Kaz would do anything in order to have a game this big on the platform.

Unless they completely revamp that RAGE engine, it seems extremely unlikely. Those games can barely run on consoles at ~20fps.

I only played Vice City Stories and it sucks. The story is god-awful and the gameplay was already dated back when it came out, let alone now.

It's worth only for being Victy City, so there's that, but I'd still rather play the PC version of the main game to get that kind of fix.

Chinatown Wars on the other hand is one of the best games on the PSP. Better mission design, controls, very good writing, well suited for quick sessions.

Cheers. I'll be downloading CTW. Quick sessions is perfect, a mission or two before bed or before I head off for work is exactly what I'm looking for. Ghosts of Sparta has scratched that itch very well, the save points are spaced out in the just right way.

Vice City stories is really, really good. Some of the later missions are hard as fuck, but it's everything you'd expect from a ps2-era GTA game. Production values are amazing, technically solid and controls well on the Vita.

Don't remember the exact download size since I've deleted the game off my system because of my tiny memory card, but the EU version was propably around 1.4 gigs.

Hmm, guess I'll go with CTW for now and pick up VCS if/when it goes on sale.

Tambini

If you aren't too fond of the top down GTAs don't buy CTW.

VCS on the other hand is really good.

Actually I don't really like the old top down GTAs but CTW is one of the best GTA games I have played in my opinion.

The drug dealing mechanic was really fun.

Don't buy CTW, i you aren't too fond of the top down GTAs

VCS on the other hand is really good.

I don't mind top down GTA, but I think I'll drop the money for both. CTW will be my quick session game and VCS will be my play when I'm off or have an hour or two spare game.

It's getting pretty crazy, already thinking about buying a 16gb mem card as I'm downloading so much.

spats

Cheers. I'll be downloading CTW. Quick sessions is perfect, a mission or two before bed or before I head off for work is exactly what I'm looking for. Ghosts of Sparta has scratched that itch very well, the save points are spaced out in the just right way.

Hmm, guess I'll go with CTW for now and pick up VCS if/when it goes on sale.

Yeah, I guess I should say that I got VCS for free when SCEE screwed up and put it up for free by accident. So my opinion might be different if I'd paid 20 euros for it. I still stand by my post though, it's a slightly compacted version of Vice City and plays like it. Story-wise it's a spinoff though, and not at all the same game as VC. Check out this review for some decent gameplay footage if you're curious. http://youtu.be/kW0Jzy6dXNU

I can't speak for the PSP version of CTW but the DS version was ABHORRENT. One of the worst games I've ever played. So, so boring and no story hooks to keep you engaged. So looks like I couldn't possibly disagree any more with Massa's opinion. :D

theBishop

Banned

I've played every GTA, and Liberty City Stories is the only one I've actually finished. It's good.

Vice City Stories makes more impressive use of the PSP hardware (Helicopters!), the lead character is great, and there's an overarching "Empire Building" meta game which lends itself really well to handheld gaming.

Objectively speaking, Vice City is the better game, but for some reason LCS hooked me.

Number45

Anyone able to share any thoughts on how to get better wireless performance from the Vita? If I run Speedtest on my PC (wired) I get 34Mbps, on my iPhone (4s) I get 26Mbps... but on my Vita (using the internet connection test) the best I've seen is 11Mbps - I appreciate Speedtest and the PSN test are different, but surely they're not THAT different (for reference, I always get great speeds on my PS3, which is wired).

Anyone know of any independent speed test sites that work on the Vita browser?

The only thing I've really tried so far is changing wireless channels (my router has a smart wireless feature that's supposed to find the best channel, but I've tried setting it manually as well). The iPhone and Vita are right next to each other.

GQman2121

Banned
I'll chime in the GTA discussion, and just say that if you can imagine still enjoying GTA III today in the palm of your hands, then both of the Stories games are worth checking out.

Also, I can't recommend Chinatown Wars enough. It's super simple, but the mechanics are addicting and the Vita's screen really makes the visuals pop. It looks fantastic.

The only hard sell for any three of these games are the prices on PSN. They're each at $19.99 I believe, which is a kind of crazy given their age. I had some spare PSN credits and blindly picked up CTW around the Vita's launch. I'd say out of the three, that's the only one that's worth more than $12 at this point. Hopefully all PSP games will go on sale soon (maybe this summer?) and I'll pick up digital copies of the stories games.

-Gravity Rush (JUNE)
-MGS 2+3 HD Collection (JUNE)
-Virtue's Last Reward (999's Sequel) (NO DATE THAT I KNOW OF)
-Mortal Kombat (MAY)
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories (MAY/JUNE)
-Little Big Planet (PUSHED TO FALL)
-Resistance: Burning Skies (MAY)
-Killzone (NO DATE THAT I KNOW OF- FALL AT THE EARLIEST)
-Warrior's Lair (PUSHED TO FALL)
-Dragon's Crown (PUSHED TO 2013)
-Madden NFL 13 (AUGUST OR SEPTEMBER)
-Street Fighter X Tekken (FALL)
-Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock (NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS)
-DJMax Technika Tune (NO DATE)

Your heart is in the right place - but your facts aren't.

And for those on the fence about katamari or looking for a fun but overlooked launch game, I liked it a lot.

Agent X

surprised how many people will be sold on vita due to ps1 support.

Why did y'all skip out on psp when that got ps1 support?

PS1 support is unlikely to be the primary motivation to get a Vita. However, it could be a tipping point for people who like what it has to offer, but need just a little added "oomph" to push them into a purchase.

Most likely a E3 "Surprise"

Your PSVita can now play PSOne games, Rejoice Everyone!

You spoiled Sony's E3 2013 conference surprise!

Unfortunately from what i'm hearing is that the E3 surprise is going to be that third parties are running away from the thing.

Though to be fair the same thing was happening at this point last year with the 3DS.

Basically, Sony really needs to drop price - but can't yet because it just came out. So it will happen in late summer, like the 3DS. And until then being a Vita fan will be torturous.

That's not all that great of an E3 surprise :/

Wow just found out I won a 2nd vita via the Taco Bell contest a few weeks ago, I just got the email from UPS....I guess I'm going to sell it, how much was the first edition bundle?

I think they should try to get a ton of ios/android ports and line up two or three major releases a month.

If I were them, I'd try to sell systems with killer apps in the vein of Mario Kart, Mario, Pokemon, Dragonquest and Monster Hunter.

I think with cheap/quick games and significant titles, they'll appeal to the casual and hard core.

Koroviev

Unfortunately from what i'm hearing is that the E3 surprise is going to be that third parties are running away from the thing.

Though to be fair the same thing was happening at this point last year with the 3DS.

Basically, Sony really needs to drop price - but can't yet because it just came out. So it will happen in late summer, like the 3DS. And until then being a Vita fan will be torturous.

That's not all that great of an E3 surprise :/

How much could Sony drop the price? The 3DS is still close to $200, and as much I like the 3DS, the Vita is a much more powerful device.

Syn23

I've asked on the "stupid gaming questions" thread and didn't receive any answer, so maybe this isn't so stupid: Which components stay on in a PS3, when it's turned off and the "Remote Start" setting is activated? Can it cause any wear or damage to those components, with time?

Bukana

Also, what's the verdict on Phantasy Star Portable 2, can I buy it from the UK store and transfer it to my Vita!? Also, how is the co-op experience!?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fun gameplay, shit story.

Having played through it and beat it, I don't know if I'd call the gameplay "fun."

For me, it was an exercise in frustration, which is sad, because I really dug the game mechanics, I just felt that the game was insanely cheap and had an absurd difficulty curve.

Visually it was stunning, and playing with the second analog stick certainly helped, but man, there were quite a few times I wanted to throw my Vita across a room. It really marred the later half of the game for me.

But yeah, the story is ass.

impact

Banned
nVjto.jpg

awwww shiiiiiiii time for some Pokemon Blue

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not a Vita owner yet, and I don't have an immediate plans to get one. I'm happy with my current setup of playing the few PC games I play (LoL/LOTRO/TF2 etc..) as well as my 3ds.

That being said I'm in the PSO2 beta, and I think I'd reeeaaallllyyy like to play that on a Vita for some reason. So much so that if the price was right and the system is still afloat I'd buy a Vita just to play it along with the PC version. I think it would work well on the Vita, and I think it would look and perform nicely too.

Take that as you will Vita-GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom