• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2011/2012 Fiscal Meeting 26/04 [Update: Full Notes In OP, DD System, More]

BY2K

Membero Americo
Note:

In an effort to salvage this thread I'm going to split out the articles out into a garbage thread and leave this one to discuss what Nintendo announced.

1.) Please use this thread to discuss the things discussed in the fiscal call.

2.) Please use the other thread to discuss media reaction stories: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471908

---

As it was done last time, I'm creating a thread for the investor meeting of tonight so we can have discussions on the bit of news we'll get from Nintendo. (Last time we got the NFC feature of the Wii U controller, the NSMB 3DS announcement and the Nintendo Network reveal.)

The resume of the meeting will be found here later: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/news/index.html
And we can follow this twitter for on-the-spot news: https://twitter.com/#!/gibbogame/

Meeting should start in approximately 2 hours. I'll update as fast as I can the OP with the latest info.

Western Support for the 3DS will catch up to Japanese support by E3.

Claimed overseas 3DS support was rising, will catch up to japan by E3 so not worried about jp v. international performance

Nintendo promises they have leanred from the 3DS and the Wii U will have a very rich launch line-up.

Have learnt lesson of 3ds launch, as a result WiiU will have very rich line-up from the beginning, a few rich titles

Big-ish news #1: New Super Mario Bros 2. will be available both at retail and digitally (full download to the SD Card.) You will be able to buy download codes at retail too, as a way to reduce inventory risks at retailers.

New super mario bros 2 will be offered for packaged or full download to SD card
Digital buys will also include retail as place for payment and download, but said "it does look complicated" in demo
Said game life is getting shorter, hence retailers carry few, digital will help retail as inventory risk reduced!
Iwata doesn't think retail margins will be coming down as a result of digital. Finished

Big news #2: Wii U Software will be available digitally at launch.

Don't see big price difference between retail and digital as digital will be sold be retailers, will be available at WiiU launch
45.jpg

Big news #3: Digital prices will be set by retailers, not by Nintendo.

Price digital will be set by retailers and not nintendo.settlement by retail not nintendo
Overall focused on improving quality, and having long term relationship with customers, hopeful digital will long term +ve
Won't comment on wholesale price to retail for digital versus packaged
Digital wholesale price will not be the same as packaged as inventory risk is different

Big-ish news #4: Wants a Wii Sports equivalent on Wii U, can't talk about it now for competitive reasons, will not remodel existing (game?)

Want to find WiiSports equivalent for WiiU, cannot explain for competitive reasons, will not remodel existing

Another confirmation of Wii U details at E3. The Japanese press will get the same presentation, but in Japanese, a week later.

WiiU - will launch this year in jp,us,eu and australia, more details at E3, that presso repeated in jp one week later

The E3 presentation will NOT reveal the price of the Wii U.

E3 will NOT include price details for WiiU

Gibbogame Tweets:

David Gibson ‏ @gibbogame
At nintendo results meeting - scheduled games list doesn't look much new except 3 pokemon titles for DS in usa this yr
3DS post xmas in japan success has accelerated while not overseas
Only has 6 in top 20 titles in usa versus over 15 in top 20 in japan, usa should be 3x jp performance
Views super smach bros 2 as key to usa and will have long term demand
(Actually talking about New Super Mario Bros 2, here.)
3ds has only 2, 3, 2 titles in top 20 in germany, france, spain respectively, 2 in UK
3ds standard title globally include mario kart etc, but also monster hunter, fire emblem, kid icarus, plus pokemon titles on ds will help
3ds core titles globaly inlude mario kart etc but also monster hunter and fire emblem
Launching 3ds in korea tomorrow,planning other countries as well, now talking about the potential of digital
Demand for 3ds in eu/us has been been rather very weak, think 3rd year crucial and then if surge will achieve nintendo like profits
Won't go all digital as it doesn't suit all users, want win-win relationship with retailers.

Needs to consider social gaming for Wii U, can't say more.

WiiU - will need to consider social game play, cannot say more

Game-Biz

Lets get this party started.

Edit: Can someone find me that gif of Reggie dancing at an E3 conference from years ago? Cannot find it for the life of me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The link to the Twitter profile you posted has a <br/> in the end for some reason.

AniHawk

i expect the revelation that nintendo was bought out by sony in the late 80s and that sony will be closing down this division to save on costs moving forward.

I hope there is some confirmation that 3DS and WiiU will have retail games available through the eShop. Any new information about WiiU would be cool.

Somnid

They dumped a bunch of stuff in the consumer-facing Nintendo Direct. I really doubt we'll get much interesting news beyond Iwata's thoughts on technologies and the industry and politely telling investors with boners for cellphone and SNS games platforms to kindly STFU with graphs.

Instro

I hope there is some confirmation that 3DS and WiiU will have retail games available through the eShop. Any new information about WiiU would be cool.

This was actually confirmed in the earnings report yesterday. So details might be forthcoming at this meeting.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Now that Nintendo Direct is a normal thing for them I doubt there will be much in these anymore. It's a good thing though, these aren't suppose to be for announcing and promoting new games, they're to keep investors up to date. If the last Nintendo Direct didn't happen I'm sure NSMB2 would've gotten a screen or two here instead.

Now that Nintendo Direct is a normal thing for them I doubt there will be much in these anymore. It's a good thing though, these aren't suppose to be for announcing and promoting new games, they're to keep investors up to date. If the last Nintendo Direct didn't happen I'm sure NSMB2 would've gotten a screen or two here instead.

The last investor meeting arguably had more exciting information than any Nintendo Direct. Certainly, you are correct in saying that Nintendo Direct removes the need to announce games at the investor meetings, but that leaves Nintendo open to announce much bigger and broad things like NFC in the Wii U controller and the Nintendo Network. That said, I wouldn't discount game announcements all together; Nintendo announced NSMB for 3DS at the previous meeting.

Dartastic

Wait so when does this start up again?

EDIT - AW FUCK I'M TWO HOURS FURTHER THAN WHERE I NORMALLY AM SO STUFF IS STUPID DANG. 40 MINUTES. OKAY.

Top Bottom