• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

AAK

I just realized the genius behind revealing this before E3. If this was revealed at E3... the press would do nothing but question about the magnitude at which Sony borrowed from Nintendo. Now that they've revealed it... they can gauge the magnitude of the reactions and the questions they'll expect when the media will get 1 on 1 time with the developers. That way they'll know how to politically answer them ahead of time.

Sony's PR strategic department at work.

With the announcement of 3rd party characters being a huge part of Playstation as a whole, there is no fucking way Crash and Spyro aren't in this game. Also with them saying they went back basically 2 decades of Playstation history for characters as well, I fully expect this beast.

Sir_Daniel_Fortesque_by_J4SM1N3.jpg
He is waiting

And when you add in HD, 60fps, and full blown online play, while releasing this year, MY BODY IS READY!

Every rumor about the game was right including that list talking about Kratos using the wings for a recovery and Sweet Tooth transforming into his mech for a super, etc. and I couldn't be happier with what I saw and heard.

Geoff pulled through again with the hype and I was incredibly pleased to see that majority of GTTV was all about PS All Stars with good gameplay so hats off to you guys for not half assing the reveal!

Bring on E3!!!

Also the butthurt crying is fucking hilarious, keep it coming!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As hardcore ssb fan, I am very psyched and excited to see what they can do with sony smash. I hope this game would give sakurai a wake up call so he can give it all for his next game.

They had quite interesting idea about mixed video game stages. I think sakurai should take a note on that.

Guys, this is nothing like Smash Bros.
Players have health bars, when their HP reaches zero they die, that's it. No damage % gauge, no flying farther the more % you get, no "recovering" from attacks and trying to get back to the stage, Smash Bros. gameplay is simply not present here. The only similarity is it's a 4 player 2D fighting game, and Radec's super move is the same as Snake's, that's it.

NateDrake

BUZZ!

final boss is either FW update or Geohot.

No one could ever hope to beat the dreaded Firmware update. It'll remove all the PS1/PS2 characters with its 'No more BC' powers & cut the roster by 50%!

Players have health bars, when their HP reaches zero they die, that's it. No damage % gauge, no flying farther the more % you get, no "recovering" from attacks and trying to get back to the stage, Smash Bros. gameplay is simply not present here. The only similarity is it's a 4 player 2D fighting game, and Radec's super move is the same as Snake's, that's it.

I think those may be the super bars & not health bars.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The thing I don't get, is why can't "Smash Bros" be it's own genre?

I love Smash Bros Melee to death. It's one of my favorite Gamecube games.

Why can't that style of game become more common for companies that, literally, have a legacy of titles?

Why can't Capcom do one featuring characters from their over 20 year history (granted, they have MvC and Street Fighter already, so it's not really too necessary).

Why can't Sega make one as well, featuring characters from everything from Beyond Oasis to Phantasy Star?

Why can only Nintendo create a crossover title that heavily plays to the fanbases of those games, as well as nostalgia?

The rage tears in this thread are amusing, but also kind of depressing.

Considering how long we had to wait for Smash Bros Brawl (and many were disappointed; i don't own a Wii, so I haven't played it), I don't mind seeing another game to fill the void while we wait for the next Smash.

Can you imagine if survival horror games began and ended with games like Alone in the Dark?

Or if there was only one type of game in the FPS genre, or the Action/Adventure genre, or the Third Person Shooter genre?

I'm stoked for this game! Ever since I played Melee, I've been dreaming of a PlayStation equivalent. That dream is now realized. I can't express how happy I am, and the tears of the haters are delicious.

zroid

Banned
Sakurai must be loving this, in more ways than one. Obviously he'll be flattered first of all, but whether or not the game turns out well, he might finally get the chance to look externally to see if certain ideas work.

It must be a bit of a relief to no longer be the only guy in the world making this type of game.

volpone

Banned
Fat Princess felt awfully forced there. Geoff can be a massive tool for advertising sometimes. Doesn't even confront the Smash Bros influence and what the developer is taking from it.

Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Snake, Jill Valentine, Claude Speed/Tommy Vercetti, Jak, Ratchet, Sora, Sackboy, Ico, Wander, Nathan Drake. These guys and many more are far more important to the Sony canon. Hopefully most of them will pop up.

fernoca

I do hope Sony plays their cards right and with some hype during the following months leading to release. Reveals of characters, gameplay, as mentioned..a Dojo-like site.

Not random blog entries from PSBlog and then a November release . :p

Cartman86

Banned

Yeah the way the characters move, and the speed of it feels similar to me, but removing knockout death really changes it. I hope it works without it. The smash to me was always the best part of Smash.

Hieberrr

Needs more colour!

I actually don't like how the characters leave a colour trail with their moves. What the fuck is that shit?

EDIT: Also, combining levels/stages... ...

Bruiserk

No one could ever hope to beat the dreaded Firmware update. It'll remove all the PS1/PS2 characters with its 'No more BC' powers & cut the roster by 50%!

I think those may the super bars & not health bars.

I agree that they were super bars, but I also saw the stages boxed in. I did see characters die and respawn after being hit; there was a graphic that went along with it. So, initial impressions suggest health bars to me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Man, it truly is a rip of the Smash gameplay. And I love it for that.
What use is turning invisible if people can see where you are because you're all on the same screen?

Besides online mode that is.
Same use as the invisible item in Smash.

Lol, so many bitter tears in this thread.

Smash Bros. Melee is my most played game of all time. And personally, I'm glad that it's no longer the only game of its type.
There were others, but none have come close to the greatness of Smash.
This one seems to be the closest in terms of gameplay, looks like it could be fun.
I'm not very interested in this game!

Am pumped, but don't forget, modnation racer.

don't forget.
No, please forget!
BUZZ!

final boss is either FW update or Geohot.
Buzz is Sony.

Geohot boss would be great.

Ploid 3.0

The hate for this game already is amusing.

Yes, it's apparently a Smash Bros clone (I still haven't seen it yet).

Thing is, as a Nintendo fan, Smash Bros was like nostalgia being injected into my veins. But get this, as a PlayStation fan, I've been DYING for Sony to leverage their history of really awesome franchises and pull a Smash Bros. I'm HAPPY about this game.

It must really suck to be so far up a particular console manuracturer's ass that you can't see beyond it and respect that maybe, just maybe, PlayStation fans love and adore PS franchises in the same way that Nintendo fans love and adore Nintendo franchises, despite the PS franchises not having the same recognition as a Mario.

I grew up on Nintendo. My 80's and 90's were dominated by them. I owe them my gaming youth.

I grew into a teen and an adult on PlayStation. My late 90's to the present were dominated by them. I owe them KEEPING me gaming well beyond my teens, and now into my mid 30's.

This game is going to tickle the same nostalgia senses that Smash Bros Melee did for me. It's going to be awesome.

Don't like it, hey, guess what, you don't have to buy it or play it. Sony has plenty of developers, making plenty of other games that may suit your fancy.

Same here man. There was a "What if Sony made a mascot game like Smash" thread on gaf, about 3 of them actually. A lot of people were interested in it just for the characters, and some didn't think they had enough characters to fill up a roster (pft).

I also grew up on nintendo and didn't know a lot of the smash characters (snow dudes, guy with wings.. Cupid, etc.), then I moved to PS1 when it came out and liked their games (3d polygon gaming!).

I'm going to eat this game up and live online with it. I play the crap out of UMVC3 online now, I'm ready to transition to this. I hope it's very fun and interesting. Fast load times please, UMVC3 has very fast loading, and rematch.

bon

Smash Bros has a mode with health bars (it isn't as fun as the normal mode).

Which is like Jin Saotome's super (which may be the same as a prior super in another fighting game and so on).

Looks fun, hopefully it will be fun to play too, and truly challenging/competitive.

While I wished for a more unified art style, it works well.
And stages mixing up is quite cool, gives more of "worlds clashing" vibe and potential story.

Instro

One thing I see being really shitty about this game will be the music. The quality, variety, etc of all the different themes and composers that Smash draws on for its music is one of highlights for me, none of the Sony properties really have anything memorable for me musically.

I do hope Sony plays their cards right and with some hype during the following months leading to release. Reveals of characters, gameplay, as mentioned..a Dojo-like site.

Not random blog entries from PSBlog and then a November release . :p
While I loved the Dojo reveals for Brawl, in hindsight I don't think that was very beneficial. It basically revealed every aspect of the game and left hardly anything to be discovered while playing. Obviously one could simply avoid the Dojo-like site, but I think a piecemeal approach to revealing stuff instead of daily updates would be better.

Thores

It definitely looks like a rip-off. But if they're going to take the backbone of a game and slap their own IP onto it, I'm totally okay with it being Smash Bros. We're probably not seeing the new SSB games until sometime in 2014 anyway, so hopefully PSASBR will be well-executed enough to make the wait less excruciating.

SmithnCo

One thing I see being really shitty about this game will be the music. The quality, variety, etc of all the different themes and composers that Smash draws on for its music is one of highlights for me, none of the Sony properties really have anything memorable for me musically.

I hope some raw gameplay is uploaded soon so we can clearly hear the music. So far all I got is that the announcer sounds kinda cool.

Smash Bros has a mode with health bars (it isn't as fun as the normal mode).

Yeah, I know, I mentioned it on a previous page and also mentioned how not fun it is lol. It's not Smash's main mode at all, it's hidden away in "special" mode in versus, just a fun "what if" like giant mode, tiny mode, fast mode or slow mode

Mxrz

E3. Lara Croft. Please. All I need now.

The potential for stages has me more hyped than anything. I hope there's a ton. I want to overdose on nostalgia.

Classic PSX Ridge Racer car racing a GT Skyline? Colony Wars stage? Final Fantasy stage? So many options.

Top Bottom