• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

Man, it's sad that even years later, these weekly threads still share the same tone.

You'd think Nintendo would have learned something by now.

isny

napkin dispenser
Man, it's sad that even years later, these weekly threads still share the same tone.

You'd think Nintendo would have learned something by now.

It's funny too, because Nintendo posts it's first loss, and yet they STILL won't take our money for rom dumps, they just flat out refuse to even try.

No I'm not going to buy a shitty black and white rom dump of Pool for the original GB, but at least that's them trying to get my money, whereas by not releasing any rom dumps they're not putting any effort into it whatsoever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NoA's strategy is to starve us until we're on the edge of death, then give us something terrible like Chase H.Q., which will instantly become a million seller.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Got Ketzal's Corridors and it's great. Polished, great music, and it has that Nintendo touch. They are on fire with their eshop games.

I don't know how to do the "tricks" though. Sometimes I get all the hearts, and sometimes I don't.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We need Kirby's Tilt and Tumble. (I've never played it, but I want to)

Should be interesting to see if they bother with the accelerometer games, and how it would translate to the 3DS gyro controls. I always wanted to try Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, even though it was panned by reviewers, and many hold WarioWare: Twisted up as one of the best in the series.

Gravijah

Should be interesting to see if they bother with the accelerometer games, and how it would translate to the 3DS gyro controls. I always wanted to try Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, even though it was panned by reviewers, and many hold WarioWare: Twisted up as one of the best in the series.

we're talking about the company that was too lazy to put sgb/gbc support into their gb vc games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've finally added the Fire Emblem DLCs to the OP.

uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Ike's in the house, bitches.

BooJoh

Maybe they're holding off on GB releases because they're going to announce a new GB emulator with SGB/custom pallete support at E3.

A guy can dream, can't he?

On another subject, I wish they'd have "Coming Soon" as one of the permanent categories on the bottom of the eShop. Currently it's not a category at all so the only way to check is to filter by category, sort by latest, and scroll to the end.

On that note, I think "Sudoku by Nikoli (3DS)" is a new addition to the Coming Soon titles, but I'm not sure.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Maybe they're holding off on GB releases because they're going to announce a new GB emulator with SGB/custom pallete support at E3.

On another subject, I wish they'd have "Coming Soon" as one of the permanent categories on the bottom of the eShop. Currently it's not a category at all so the only way to check is to filter by category, sort by latest, and scroll to the end.

On that note, I think "Sudoku by Nikoli (3DS)" is a new addition to the Coming Soon titles, but I'm not sure.

Oh, they're going to start releasing the Nikoli puzzle games on the US eShop?

There were six or seven of them released in Japan last year.

Got Ketzal's Corridors and it's great. Polished, great music, and it has that Nintendo touch. They are on fire with their eshop games.

I don't know how to do the "tricks" though. Sometimes I get all the hearts, and sometimes I don't.

After you complete the trick you still have to go through one of the hearts. They didn't really make that clear (or mention it at all) when they explained the tricks.

Roto13

So I bought two Virtual Console games because I got tired of waiting for better ones. Balloon Kid and Lock 'n Chase.

Balloon Kid is like Balloon Trip in Balloon Fight with proper levels and crappier mechanics. This game could be pretty cool if it felt more like the NES version. I guess it's an ok diversion when you're bored.

Lock 'n Chase seems kind of cool. Like Pac-Man with more variety. I've only played one level so far, but it looks like it brings in some different things to interact with within the levels later. Why is the character wearing a baseball cap in the box art when he's clearly wearing a fedora in his sprite? He's a bank robber. :p

I've been saving my other post play Club Nintendo surveys for the next Club Nintendo year, but I will be using these two to complain. How satisfied am I with the Virtual Console service? Sit down and I'll tell you guys.

That's certainly possible. The Game Boy games look a little silly after M2's Game Gear emulator hit the scene.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So I bought two Virtual Console games because I got tired of waiting for better ones. Balloon Kid and Lock 'n Chase.

Balloon Kid is like Balloon Trip in Balloon Fight with proper levels and crappier mechanics. This game could be pretty cool if it felt more like the NES version. I guess it's an ok diversion when you're bored.

Lock 'n Chase seems kind of cool. Like Pac-Man with more variety. I've only played one level so far, but it looks like it brings in some different things to interact with within the levels later. Why is the character wearing a baseball cap in the box art when he's clearly wearing a fedora in his sprite? He's a bank robber. :p

I've been saving my other post play Club Nintendo surveys for the next Club Nintendo year, but I will be using these two to complain. How satisfied am I with the Virtual Console service? Sit down and I'll tell you guys.

Their strategy is working. Force people to buy lesser games by not releasing the headliners. How could you fall for it, Roto?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Has anyone purchased the Block Game game?

I ask as it SOUNDS as though it's a generic "dropping block" game that can be configured to play as Tetris, Columns, and various other "varieties" of block titles. For $4, a 3DS-capable Tetris would be nice -- especially if it means no infinite floor spin!

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Ike's in the house, bitches.

D:

Fire Emblem, what did they do to you?

Has anyone purchased the Block Game game?

I ask as it SOUNDS as though it's a generic "dropping block" game that can be configured to play as Tetris, Columns, and various other "varieties" of block titles. For $4, a 3DS-capable Tetris would be nice -- especially if it means no infinite floor spin!
Yeah I got it, only played about 15 mins soo far, it has a few basic modes available form the outset which seem to be clones on various more well known block falling puzzle games. However it seems you can create your own games, gives you variations on block types and game rules to mess around with. I haven't really looking into it at all, will do so later tonight. You can also save games you've made as QR codes and share them online if you so wish. So yeah seems like a nifty idea but I really need to play more to see what it is really capable of.

Glass Joe

Maybe the 3DS VC is slim pickings because Nintendo realizes that no one really wants black and white crappy ports of NES games? I mean, outside of a handful of titles, who cares? GBA games are a different story, but it just begs the question as to why we haven't seen them yet and why we can't have SNES games instead / too?

With the recent announcement of New SMB 2 available digitally and the conference focusing on digital so much, I'm hopeful the e-Shop is quiet because they have big plans ahead. Like, a major restructure. Achievements, cross platform compatibility (don't have to buy your NES games on both 3DS and Wii U), that sort of thing.

isny

napkin dispenser
Maybe the 3DS VC is slim pickings because Nintendo realizes that no one really wants black and white crappy ports of NES games? I mean, outside of a handful of titles, who cares? GBA games are a different story, but it just begs the question as to why we haven't seen them yet and why we can't have SNES games instead / too?

With the recent announcement of New SMB 2 available digitally and the conference focusing on digital so much, I'm hopeful the e-Shop is quiet because they have big plans ahead. Like, a major restructure. Achievements, cross platform compatibility (don't have to buy your NES games on both 3DS and Wii U), that sort of thing.

The thing is though that there are a ton of GB/GBC games I'd love to buy. GAF had lists miles long of GB/GBC games people wanted prior to the VC launching on the 3DS and we've barely scratched the surface.

Zelda LA GBC, Metroid II, Mario Land 1+2, Donkey Kong, and Kirby's Dream Land.

That's six games in eleven months? Really?

Where are the big hitters? Pokemon RPG's, the Oracle Zelda's, Final Fantasy RPG's, Pokemon TCG/Pinball, etc. (Instead of these, we get Golf, Baseball, or better yet, nothing)

The thing is though that there are a ton of GB/GBC games I'd love to buy. GAF had lists miles long of GB/GBC games people wanted prior to the VC launching on the 3DS and we've barely scratched the surface.

Zelda LA GBC, Metroid II, Mario Land 1+2, Donkey Kong, and Kirby's Dream Land.

That's six games in eleven months? Really?

Where are the big hitters? Pokemon RPG's, the Oracle Zelda's, Final Fantasy RPG's, Pokemon TCG/Pinball, etc. (Instead of these, we get Golf, Baseball, or better yet, nothing)
Just going to put it out there, if Nintendo could put the original Pokemon GB games up on the store and allow online trading/battling, it will be epic.

I think though that is whats holding them back on alot of games for the GB VC, they will need to figure out how to make multiplayer work as the link cable was a big part of alot of GB games.

BooJoh

As an avid handheld gamer since the original GB, I care. You seem to be coming from a console gamer mindset, and that's okay, but a lot of us have been loyal followers of Nintendo's handhelds for many generations now, and we weren't just buying "crappy ports" of our favorite console games. There have been many great original handheld games over the years.

I still want Kirby's Dreamland 2, Kid Icarus 2, and Pokemon Pinball.

And if they could ever get the rights to Kwirk, then I could get rid of all my Gameboy carts.

zigg

As an avid handheld gamer since the original GB, I care. You seem to be coming from a console gamer mindset, and that's okay, but a lot of us have been loyal followers of Nintendo's handhelds for many generations now, and we weren't just buying "crappy ports" of our favorite console games. There have been many great original handheld games over the years.
I'm willing to accept being branded with this too, but it sure seems to me that both console- and handheld-centric VCs are generally crap with one or two bright spots, and the bright spots are fewer on the handheld side.

The funny part is that I'm not console-centric anymore. I have for the past few years vastly preferred handheld content. Console content seems to often be the result of spending too much without ever having asked if the game is fun. Handheld content from the GB era seems to have been spending too little to try to replicate the fun of the consoles of that time without much success.

I'm willing to accept being branded with this too, but it sure seems to me that both console- and handheld-centric VCs are generally crap with one or two bright spots, and the bright spots are fewer on the handheld side.

The funny part is that I'm not console-centric anymore. I have for the past few years vastly preferred handheld content. Console content seems to often be the result of spending too much without ever having asked if the game is fun. Handheld content from the GB era seems to have been spending too little to try to replicate the fun of the consoles of that time without much success.
The difference with the Wii VC and the 3DS is that the Wii VC had about 2 years of being just god damn awesome before it slowed down to the tickle of software it is now, the 3DS has been slow from day one. Wii VC launched with like 20 games or something, 3DS VC launched with 3.

Also the Wii had the VC from day 1, we had to wait a few months till the 3DS eShop was even up and running.

Thats the biggest one that got me with the 3DS, the Wii and even the DSi had online stores ready to go from day 1, we had to wait a few months before we got one on the 3DS.

zigg

The difference with the Wii VC and the 3DS is that the Wii VC had about 2 years of being just god damn awesome before it slowed down to the tickle of software it is now, the 3DS has been slow from day one. Wii VC launched with like 20 games or something, 3DS VC launched with 3.
I'm not talking about which was more prolific—that's pretty obvious. (Though I might throw out there that the market conditions were different; for Wii, VC was Nintendo's first toe-dip into DD and all they had, whereas DSiWare started the handheld party with largely original content, and the eShop had it very early.) I just happen to be of the opinion there's less worth having on portables. It's not for lack of trying, either; I located several GB games people told me were good over the years, and found almost all lacking.

Roto13

Handheld haters are absolutely not ok ever.

There are tons of great Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. The system was a huge success for more than a decade for a reason.

Gravijah

yeah, no one wants gb games. it's not like anyone is asking for them and it's not like they are being released in 2 out of the 3 territories.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Even if you feel the handheld selection between Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Gear is not very strong, it's still not a compelling argument in favor of what's been happening. Nintendo continued to release many 'garbage', or 'lesser' titles on the Wii's Virtual Console service for years, just to have something to fill in for VC every week. They've barely scratched the eShop VC a year in though, and the service has been forgotten.

Shiggy

Just received a new Nintendo Points Card (yeah, they are still made, the pack contained a brand new leaflet with The Last Story), one of those that do not work on the eShop.

So what should I buy on WiiWare? (1300 points available)
Penta Tentacles?
Art of Balance?
Rock'n'Roll Climber? (with balance board)
Maboshi?
Rush Rush Rally Racing does also look interesting, but I cannot find much on it.

What about other titles?
Tales of Monkey Island -> too expensive, PC version is cheaper better
Bit Trip games -> got the much cheaper retail version
Swords&Soldiers -> got the PC version via HIB

In general, I don't want to buy anything that's also out on PC and cheaper there; I'm not supporting Nintendo's ripoff tactics there.

radcliff

Japanese Wii VC games for May:

Ganbare Goemon Gaiden: The Gold Pipe Which Went Off - Famicon
The Super Spy- Neo Geo
Shock Troopers- Neo Geo

Just received a new Nintendo Points Card (yeah, they are still made, the pack contained a brand new leaflet with The Last Story), one of those that do not work on the eShop.

Penta Tentacles?
Art of Balance?
Maboshi?
Rush Rush Rally Racing does also look interesting, but I cannot find much on it.

What about other titles?

In general, I don't want to buy anything that's also out on PC and cheaper there; I'm not supporting Nintendo's ripoff tactics there.

Art of Balance is the best of those games, but you'll probably be better off waiting for the 3DSWare version since it apparently contains all 100 levels from the Wiiware version in addition to 100 new ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I briefly played Rock and Roll Climber at a friend's house when it first came out. It was, from what I could tell in five minutes, a disaster.

mclem

Penta Tentacles?
Art of Balance?
Maboshi?

What about other titles?

Do you already have Hydroventure/Fluidity or have no interest in it? It's possibly my favourite WiiWare title. Dunno if the demo is still available, but if it is you can find out that way if it's for you.

Shiggy

I briefly played Rock and Roll Climber at a friend's house when it first came out. It was, from what I could tell in five minutes, a disaster.

Hmm, did you use the balance board controls? I'd love to try it just because of that :/

Art of Balance is the best of those games, but you'll probably be better off waiting for the 3DSWare version since it apparently contains all 100 levels from the Wiiware version in addition to 100 new ones.

Meh, and it will probably be cheaper again, right? I really enjoyed the demo for this title, but you are probably right, it's best to wait for that.

Do you already have Hydroventure/Fluidity or have no interest in it? It's possibly my favourite WiiWare title. Dunno if the demo is still available, but if it is you can find out that way if it's for you.

That is probably the best WiiWare title available. Unfortunately, I played through that earlier this year.

Kerub

Banned

Penta Tentacles?
Art of Balance?
Maboshi?

What about other titles?

LostWinds is really nice. Especially Winter of Melodias.

Roto13

Yes, Lost Winds is nice, but definitely play them in order. They're basically episodic. Except there's only two of them.

Top Bottom