• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants 3x Japanese (3DS?) success in the U.S.: What should they do?

King_Moc

Banned
The marketing has been awful and confusing. There are still shops that have the 3DS games in with DS games. It looks like it's yet another revision, so is being ignored by a lot of the casual market. That needs to change straight away.

In terms of the console itself, i've seen enough hardware now to know that any problems people have with one analogue stick or screen scratching or whatver doesn't affect sales in any meaningful way. The majority of people are blissfully unaware of that stuff.

They're going the right way in terms of games, but they need to get Western Developers on board. I'm not sure why they don't want to be, but they aren't. That's really going to help in America. Mind you, whenever they do try on a Nintendo handheld, it does seem to be a half hearted cash in, that they then use as an excuse to forget the platform.

matmanx1

Marketing, case closed.

Marketing alone doesn't help if the games aren't there. And they aren't. It's been over a year now and there still aren't enough games. Too few tentpole titles (like MK7 and Mario 3D), too few "serious" experiences (Revelations is great though!) and too few of the quirky but awesome stuff that made people notice the DS in the first place (like Theatrythm!).

By this fall I expect the games problem will be mostly fixed but why the heck has it taken a year and half (by then) to get it there?

After the games problem you have the store visibility problem which others have mentioned but can be mentioned again. 3DS sections are too small (not enough games!) and still usually very close to the DS which is pretty much all used at this point. There needs to be more done by Nintendo to really spruce up their retail presence for the 3DS as the games finally start to arrive for the remainder of this year.

Riposte

Every month if a user buys 8-10 dollars worth of stuff on the eshop, give them the specially selected free virtual console game (ideally a game released that month).

antonz

Increased marketing of titles and the device itself would be a great start. Evn if it means picking up the slack of 3rd parties.

Resident Evil for instance could be pushed heavily during the various ghost and monster shows etc.

Moneyhatting some western support tied to solid marketing is also the other tool. I do not subscribe to the diminished interest in handheld gaming arguement at all.

Every month if a user buys 8-10 dollars worth of stuff on the eshop, give them the specially selected free virtual console game (ideally a game released that month).

"bought 8-10 dollars on our eShop in April? Have nothing!"

Anywho, forcefully kill off the DS everywhere else. While Pokemon will benefit 3DS in Japan, it won't do as much good here since it's still lingering around. Not to mention the game library in general. Even with some of the stellar games released, the retail section is small, and looks terrible. Less terrible than before though, but not enough to make a difference. Games need to come over faster in order to keep the momentum up, which is why 3DS is still beasting there, and only adequate here.

For the love of god, someone kick NoA in the ass. To this day, the apathy that dreads up the Nintendo Downloads topics exist to this very day, and it's terrible that VC is faltering before the eShop is even a year old. You have 4 systems on there, one which shouldn't even be re-sold! No doubt that retail titles going DD is going to fuck things up even more until they realize that it's COMPLETELY okay to release multiple games on their services. Jesus. Considering the lackluster line up until maybe July, you'd think making your existing base pleased on DD offerings would really help. Instead we just have Mario Tennis Open :/

Hmmm anything else?

qq more

Depends on how far into development the game is. But it's doable.

Just because it's doable doesn't mean it's easy. Plus it's a sequel to a Gen 5 game, they're gonna make it as compatible as possible.

We're getting Gen 6 on the 3DS eventually anyways. So what's the point?

DR2K

Banned
Just because it's doable doesn't mean it's easy. Plus it's a sequel to a Gen 5 game, they're gonna make it as compatible as possible.

We're getting Gen 6 on the 3DS eventually anyways. So what's the point?

Just seems so counter productive to increasing 3DS install base at the moment.

They need to get as many quality games on the eshop, including all past and future retail games. They should be working to get Wii's entire VC catalog on there as well. Put every game possible. Nintendo DS games.

Market it as the ultimate portable gaming device, being able to play an enormous library of high quality games off of SDs. Make the eshop intuitive and addicting. Have the equivalent of Steam sales.

Also yeah, dual analog revision with improved battery life.

Do that and I could see them being highly competitive in the market against iOS and Vita...

As many others have said, eshop. Getting retail games on there is a good start, but they also need to attract a lot more indie devs that are currently putting their stuff up on Steam and the App Store. Be more flexible on pricing and RUN SALES. People like sales! These smaller titles would solve Nintendo's historical problem of software droughts while not really threatening sales of their big franchises.

That, the expected redesign next year, and Nintendo's typical outside the box thinking combined could turn the 3DS into a really big hit, rather than a modest success.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
New and exciting games that are both refreshing and fun?

Don't fuck over people like Edmund McMillan and support indie devs on your system?

No, actually Pokemon should do it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Redesign. Two sticks.
Release games that release in japan
Competent online
Good virtual.console services. One nintendo account. Multiple hardware.
Bam

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Just seems so counter productive to increasing 3DS install base at the moment.

Pokemon Black and White 2 was probably decided upon back when Nintendo was a lot more confident about the 3DS's inevability and still wanted to continue providing DS users long-term quality software. That and the money. The vast amounts of money Pokemon B&W2 is going to make with the DS's huge install base.

Linkhero1

A redesign, more online multiplayer focused games, a flagship Pokemon game on the 3DS. Honestly a mix of these would probably boost 3DS sales. They're already releasing NSMB 3DS so I think that will sell like crazy considering how well the first one did.

DR2K

Banned
Pokemon Black and White 2 was probably decided upon back when Nintendo was a lot more confident about the 3DS's inevability and still wanted to continue providing DS users long-term quality software. That and the money. The vast amounts of money Pokemon B&W2 is going to make with the DS's huge install base.

It would probably sell the same on the 3DS in the long run AND boost 3DS hardware sales. I mean yeah you can ride the 100 million + DSes forever with that kind of logic.

gosox333

The only thing they need to do to kickstart this is release Pokemon 3DS. That'll easily get them going in the right direction.

Still probably not gonna happen in the immediate future, but that's the fastest and easiest route they could take.

When I installed my nyko battery and saw the tiny battery nintendo included with the 3ds.....
A lot of momentum could be gained by providing a larger battery in the unit. There's a lot of room in there.

Other than that nintendo should court some iOs devs to produce downloadable games for them on the eshop.

I think we are headed for a handheld system that focuses on their core market (in which case it's crucial NOA bring over titles)
I hope xseed and atlus double down to bring some rpgs and niche titles our way and downloadable retail games are a feasible way to achieve that.

AniHawk

i think they still lack major software that the ds had. mario kart ds and nsmb were huge, huge sellers on the ds, and mk7 and nsmb2 are sure to continue that success, but they lack something that really sells what the 3ds is all about. in japan, it's basically the nintendo psp. in america, that didn't go over so well.

pokemon will be important, as that's usually what seals the deal for their handhelds. i think that whatever they do, they should have some major new software planned for a revision. as far as a revision goes, i don't think they'll make the thing any bigger, and without knowing what the insides cost nowadays versus launch, they could be waiting for smaller or more affordable pieces to make the thing thinner/lighter, or rearrange things to look better. the ds lite was essentially the same thing as the first ds, but it was more pleasing to the eye and it coincided with the release of nsmb and brain age in america.

if it's possible, they need to lower the price some more. $169.99 doesn't do it for a dedicated handheld anymore. you can get a tablet for $199.99 that will take you on the internet and play games, and all that jazz. i think getting closer to $99.99 for handheld systems is where the price point needs to be in the future. it's been too expensive for about eight years now.

on that note, game prices need to come down too. history has shown an unwillingness to support $40 handheld games. there was resistance to it when the gba first had them. there was resistance to them on the ds and the psp, and there's resistance to them now. i think $29.99 for a handheld game is a good price point even in the face of $0.99 games on mobile devices. basically, i think the industry needs to somehow revert more towards the prices we saw during the 1990s with the game boy. i know that might be hard for the hardware, but it shouldn't have to be that big an issue with software.

tl;dr
-big unique games that people will flock to
-an aesthetic redesign that serves as a relaunch
-more affordable prices for the hardware and software

edit: i see these have been stated over and over

if it's possible, they need to lower the price some more. $169.99 doesn't do it for a dedicated handheld anymore. you can get a tablet for $199.99 that will take you on the internet and play games, and all that jazz. i think getting closer to $99.99 for handheld systems is where the price point needs to be in the future. it's been too expensive for about eight years now.

on that note, game prices need to come down too. history has shown an unwillingness to support $40 handheld games. there was resistance to it when the gba first had them. there was resistance to them on the ds and the psp, and there's resistance to them now. i think $29.99 for a handheld game is a good price point even in the face of $0.99 games on mobile devices. basically, i think the industry needs to somehow revert more towards the prices we saw during the 1990s with the game boy. i know that might be hard for the hardware, but it shouldn't have to be that big an issue with software.

tl;dr

I don't think price cutting the 3DS would serve much purpose, and I highly doubt that's something they want to do since it's not looking to be profitable until September. If anything, it'll imply that it really isn't doing well if it's tumbling that low at this point in the game.

Cutting prices on the games though..... I knew I forgot something. I really can't stand the price increase, especially since so few games actually feel as if they're worth the 40 dollars.

Linkhero1

i think they still lack major software that the ds had. mario kart ds and nsmb were huge, huge sellers on the ds, and mk7 and nsmb2 are sure to continue that success, but they lack something that really sells what the 3ds is all about. in japan, it's basically the nintendo psp. in america, that didn't go over so well.

pokemon will be important, as that's usually what seals the deal for their handhelds. i think that whatever they do, they should have some major new software planned for a revision. as far as a revision goes, i don't think they'll make the thing any bigger, and without knowing what the insides cost nowadays versus launch, they could be waiting for smaller or more affordable pieces to make the thing thinner/lighter, or rearrange things to look better. the ds lite was essentially the same thing as the first ds, but it was more pleasing to the eye and it coincided with the release of nsmb and brain age in america.

tl;dr

edit: i see these have been stated over and over

Don't think Nintendo is going to ever do this at this point. I do see game prices heading back to $30 a pop.

Redesign. Two sticks.
Release games that release in japan
Competent online
Good virtual.console services. One nintendo account. Multiple hardware.
Bam

Never crazy about redesigns, but I like everything else. Especially that multi-hardware VC service. That'd be glorious.

AniHawk

Don't think Nintendo is going to ever do this at this point. I do see game prices heading back to $30 a pop.

i think that if they go to $99.99 if possible (instead of keeping it at $169.99 for forever, similar to the ds lite's 5-year $129.99 pricepoint), it can keep the 3ds an affordable alternative to mobile devices. i wouldn't expect this to happen for a few years at the earliest.

Linkhero1

i think that if they go to $99.99 if possible (instead of keeping it at $169.99 for forever, similar to the ds lite's 5-year $129.99 pricepoint), it can keep the 3ds an affordable alternative to mobile devices. i wouldn't expect this to happen for a few years at the earliest.

Probably won't happen until they announce their next handheld. I don't think development costs go down for a while.

I believe they're losing money per 3DS sold at the moment.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389406,00.asp

It costs them around $100 to make a 3DS, but if you factor in marketing and whatever else is factored into it they aren't making that much profit.

Good effing luck, Nintendo!

3 words though:

Free To Play

Even if you, Nintendo decides not to make an F2P game, your consoles must support them because that's what's making devs the most money these days. I mean seriously, look at the Apple App Store. Compare the Top Paid apps to the Top Grossing apps. Look how little overlap there is!

If Nintendo wants to really compete with Apple, they're going to need a system like Apple's:
1-The device is also a dev tool. Do I need to buy a separate dev kit for iOS development? Nope! The reason Ninty is so reluctant to let indies have a crack at their console is they're very anal about who gets their dev hardware.

2-Easy for the indies. Man, there are some fabulous iOS games out there and if I could get them for DSware at similar prices, I would buy a 3DS with little thought.

3-Beat the App Store in terms of ease of purchases. This isn't terribly hard to do. The app store doesn't let me gift things easily in Japan or redeem codes for games and worst of all, it doesn't let me favorite things to DL later when I'm on WiFi. I've lost stuff on sale because of that.

4-Let devs put stuff on sale easily. I hate this about download stores. At least, I did until Steam came along. Thank you Steam for sales. It's one of the oldest damn gimmicks in the book to increase revenue and yet until you came along, it seemed like download games would NEVER go on sale.

Maybe then, Ninty will have a shot.

-Release games!
-Remove region locking
-Treat the US eShop like other regions (aka Release games)
-Don't leave fans hanging waiting for announcements (ie Fire Emblem)
-Actually communicate with your fans
-Advertize your niche titles

sfried

Good effing luck, Nintendo!

3 words though:

Free To Play

Even if you, Nintendo decides not to make an F2P game, your consoles must support them because that's what's making devs the most money these days. I mean seriously, look at the Apple App Store. Compare the Top Paid apps to the Top Grossing apps. Look how little overlap there is!

If Nintendo wants to really compete with Apple, they're going to need a system like Apple's:
1-The device is also a dev tool. Do I need to buy a separate dev kit for iOS development? Nope! The reason Ninty is so reluctant to let indies have a crack at their console is they're very anal about who gets their dev hardware.

2-Easy for the indies. Man, there are some fabulous iOS games out there and if I could get them for DSware at similar prices, I would buy a 3DS with little thought.

3-Beat the App Store in terms of ease of purchases. This isn't terribly hard to do. The app store doesn't let me gift things easily in Japan or redeem codes for games and worst of all, it doesn't let me favorite things to DL later when I'm on WiFi. I've lost stuff on sale because of that.

4-Let devs put stuff on sale easily. I hate this about download stores. At least, I did until Steam came along. Thank you Steam for sales. It's one of the oldest damn gimmicks in the book to increase revenue and yet until you came along, it seemed like download games would NEVER go on sale.

Maybe then, Ninty will have a shot.
It seems they are resolving case #4 though, by letting retailers carry eShop DDs and having them manage markdowns. If this also applies to shops like Amazon, you can bet the sales will be as good as Steam's (okay, perhaps Steam has more sales going on, but the markdowns will similarly be competitive).

With regards to #1, I do believe given the nature of the hardware (3D steroscopic with two screens) they would need a separate capture device for spotting bugs that might also have to do with the way 3D is projected. I think the primary complaint about 3DS dev kits was that they were quite scarce and not as well distributed as Intelligent Systems' dev kits for NDS. So if anything they should work out on distributing dev kits to every interested developer out there.

#2 and #3 are currently things they are working on, particularly the eShop which was recently given an overhauled layout. Not to mention they are planning on using QR codes to redeem purchases and such too.

Free-to-play is perhaps a biggest issue, and some part of me believe they will allow this for 3rd party publishers and such, just not with 1st party content.
Make it worthy of 3x the sales?
Well it did jump 3x in worth once the games and updates arrived.

They should seriously consider making the system region switchable, though. If they fear ESRB/CERO/PEGI conversions, they should simply allow any region to be selected provided that the Parental Settings are not activated in any areas.

-Release games!
-Remove region locking
-Treat the US eShop like other regions (aka Release games)
-Don't leave fans hanging waiting for announcements (ie Fire Emblem)
-Actually communicate with your fans
-Advertize your niche titles

Bolding this, but this is about trying to 3x the selling power, not pander to fans that won't really help them overall. As much as a dick move it was to lock the 3DS, it wouldn't make so much of a difference here. Especially since everything else in that post is a great idea to up the sales.

sfried

Bolding this, but this is about trying to 3x the selling power, not pander to fans that won't really help them overall. As much as a dick move it was to lock the 3DS, it wouldn't make so much of a difference here. Especially since everything else in that post is a great idea to up the sales.
Again it's largely tied to Parental Controls (and variances in rating system), but regions should be switchable only if Parental Controls have all been switched off.

I know that it won't be as much as a driving force for sales, but the import market is bigger than ever and I think giving consumers more options for content can only be helpful.

I know that it won't be as much as a driving force for sales, but the import market is bigger than ever and I think giving consumers more options for content can only be helpful.

But not enough for people to actually care, since the vast majority of the market doesn't really import anyway. Region free gaming isn't exactly a bullet point that's advertised on the box afterall.

Christine

I think they ought to have SPD2 and Intelligent systems return to the action puzzle genre for at least one or two full production tent-pole titles.

But not enough for people to actually care, since the vast majority of the market doesn't really import anyway. Region free gaming isn't exactly a bullet point that's advertised on the box afterall.

I care. Obviously it's not going to be featured in a commercial or on an investor's report, but perception is a big thing in gaining customer trust. I think that if Nintendo wants to prove that they really want to win back the "hardcore" crowd they could start by not putting needless limitations of their hardware.

It would do them much better by releasing more games in a more timely fashion. I'm fairly certain that people won't care so much about region locking if they didn't dick around with game releases.

It would do them much better by releasing more games in a more timely fashion. I'm fairly certain that people won't care so much about region locking if they didn't dick around with game releases.

That's very true. If we could be more certain that most/all of Nintendo's games had assured, timely US releases, then it wouldn't be as big an issue.

Sadly, NoA doesn't have a very good track record in that regard. Hopefully they can turn that around.

Though that wouldn't help third party releases much. There are many niche games that have little to zero chance of coming over to the US, and it would be nice if we at least had the option to import and play without having to invest in another system.

BigDug13

No one ever responds to my posts when I make this point so I guess everyone disagrees with me:

Nintendo needs to reduce the price of their VC/eshop games in the face of similar ports being offered on competing devices at a fraction of the cost:

Example:
Genesis games are 800-900 points on 3DS, so if they ever release Shining Force or Sonic 2, they will cost around $8. On the iphone, I can purchase Shining Force for $1 and Sonic 2 for $3. Sonic CD is $5. I can purchase 3 old SEGA games on iOS for the price of a single premium Genesis title on the 3DS/Wii.

I bought A Bard's Tale, PS2 port, on iOS for $3 which includes the old PC versions of A Bard's Tale 1 and 2. I also bought GTA3 with PC-level graphics on iOS for $1.

Control issues aside, how can Nintendo justify their pricing on old games in the face of quality older titles being ported to iOS for cheaper? Keep in mind that on iOS, these games need development to create touch controls and to be ported to the hardware, while Nintendo is reselling ROMS running in an emulator with no real development required for 2-8x more $.

Am I the only one who sees this as a significant issue? Nintendo can get away with charging $6 for a GBC game when it's Link's Awakening, but I can't see any third party GBC games selling for $6 in the wake of a much cheaper alternative for old ports.

Shinobi Game Gear edition is $4 on 3DS, while the Genesis version of Shinobi III is $3 on iOS...a superior console game compared to the Game Gear edition.

Games on iOS also have sales and drop in price for special promotions. That never seems to happen to old titles in the eShop.

You catch impulse buyers at $1-3. You catch no one at $8 per SNES/Genesis era game unless it's a special game someone wants to rebuy.

And keep in mind that these are games that had to have work done to port them with new controls, etc. Zero work is needed for a system that already has emulation in place for various systems, so why so pricy?

Top Bottom