• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda needs more of the former, and it could even manage that with Wind Waker's aesthetic, in fact. It'd be more impressive if they managed it with Wind Waker's aesthetic.

When you realised that Hyrule's citizens had made the ultimate sacrifice to keep Ganon from returning.

Dark as fuck.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that NG3 sucks. I wanted it. :(
No, you know what's actually a shame? That Itagaki is apparently embroiled in development hell with Devil's Third.
Majora's Mask was colourful as fuck, but it had the 'darkest' atmosphere in the series. People need to learn that there's a difference between tragic/emotional/symbolic dark and literal/gritty/grim dark.

Zelda needs more of the former, and it could even manage that with Wind Waker's aesthetic, in fact. It'd be more impressive if they managed it with Wind Waker's aesthetic.
Well said.

How does the Rayman figures on the touchscreen work? Are there little nubs that "touch" the screen in a specific pattern that the game will recognize? If so, wouldn't that require multitouch? Maybe I'm behind, but wasn't it confirmed not to be multitouch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_efOu9-Y7g
Near field communications. Think pay pass on credit cards or card activated door locks in hotels.

If analog triggers are really in, it's a godsend for Project Cars on Wii U.

Has to be canned now. Hopefully they reallocate the resources to bringing over DOA5 instead.

We'll see. I'd like to think we'd get DOA5 Wii U this Fall to go with our Tekken. I generally like DOA better in spite of the stupid realdoll presentation on the female characters.

Ninja Gaiden totally fell off my radar when I saw the reviews. It's been replaced by the new Rayman game though so we're all good.

BD1

Banned
How does the Rayman figures on the touchscreen work? Are there little nubs that "touch" the screen in a specific pattern that the game will recognize? If so, wouldn't that require multitouch? Maybe I'm behind, but wasn't it confirmed not to be multitouch?

No, it's Near Field Communication. It's radio communication stimulated by touch. It's the same tech that apps like iPhone Bump use.

Medalion

Banned

Chip in action figure, a screen sensor communicates wirelessly to the chip through the use of NFC, near field communication standard

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It is a chip inside the object that is sensed by the NFC in the controller.

Edit: Beaten.

BD1

Banned
Speaking of NFC, I think Activision will be rolling out a Wii U exclusive Skylanders at E3. (Shocking, I know). Maybe not the most exciting franchise for GAF'ers, but a big budget Skylanders experience exclusive to Wii U could drive a lot of early adoption.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's on-stage at Nintendo's conference.

Shurayuki

I will most certainly buy it now.

Fight the power!

Speaking of NFC, I think Activision will be rolling out a Wii U exclusive Skylanders at E3. (Shocking, I know). Maybe not the most exciting franchise for GAF'ers, but a big budget Skylanders experience exclusive to Wii U could drive a lot of early adoption.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's on-stage at Nintendo's conference.

With rumors of Wii U having "streetpass", there most certainly will be something like Streetpass Quest, only this time you can purchase figurines of your favorite Nintendo heroes to get you out of your cinch.
Is your figurine Reggie?!

Of course these figurines will work with Smash Bros too, hope you're reggie to abduct Iwata using the cunning Miyamoto!

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Rösti;37401923 said:
Source: http://nordicgame.com/?id=130

This event starts eleven days prior to E3, and features besides Nintendo speakers from other companies currently developing games for Wii U. Philippe Angely from Virtuos, Joakim Bodin from EA Dice, Paul Kruszewski from Autodesk (he's responsible for Kynapse (Gameware) which Nintendo has licensed) and Randy Pitchford from Gearbox represent people that in one way or another are connected to Wii U.

Nintendo will participate in the Pitch & Match b2b system which means that they will hold 30 minute meetings featuring discussions about development opportunities. These meetings are held at a separate location at the venue, only accessible for
participants of Pitch & Match. An open space with meeting tables is available. I don't know how large this space is and if it reserved to one company at a time or if it works more like an expo where each company has a designated spot. But unlike at GDC, this meeting place is not as hidden as those private meeting rooms so perhaps participants do not need to sign an NDA anyway (for Nintendo at least). "Development teams" are sought after but I believe people will be able to individually talk with Nintendo as well.

Conference Pass + Pitch & Match cost up to 1250€ (incl 25% VAT). A Main Conference Ticket costs 495€, an Academic Pass costs 180€. If I were still in the industry (retail can go too) I could have attended this. Anyone here planning to go?

Sources: http://nordicgame.com/?id=130, http://nordicgame.com/?id=119, http://nordicgame.com/docs/2012/NG_PitchnMatch_manual.pdf

Oh, and not to forget, there's the Starlight Foundation's A Stellar Night gala on the 17th of May as well. Insomniac Games will be honored, and Nintendo of America is listed as Presenting Sponsor (I don't know what it means): http://www.starlight.org/events/

Wait, are we just ignoring this? This is kinda cool!

Getting back to the lack of a "clicky stick" option in the Wii U, I figure you just move the buttons you'd normally use for item switching onto the touch screen and the repurpose the face buttons accordingly. Nice thing about that is you trade a brief glance for a direct switch to an item over fighting with a weapon wheel to get what you want.

Once you got used to it I figure the controls would actually be superior.

Yeah, they're only putting it on the screen for effect. It's the NFC that recognizes a chip in the figure.

Edit: Geez, everyone jumped on this... My post is now about Zelda.

I want a really explorable overworld. Lots of random caves and secrets.

Getting back to the lack of a "clicky stick" option in the Wii U, I figure you just move the buttons you'd normally use for item switching onto the touch screen and the repurpose the face buttons accordingly. Nice thing about that is you trade a brief glance for a direct switch to an item over fighting with a weapon wheel to get what you want.

it's used as quick access to melee in shooters without having to remove your thumb from the stick. That's my biggest gripe about it a while back. I remember arguing about this with guek a while back, but to me there is no better option than a click stick for melee in a shooter.

Click sticks are functionality there is no reason not to have. Especially how it's used in some of the most popular "core" games of the generation.

Medalion

Banned

I as reminded by watching the Zelda tech demo again for wii-u, hiw great u can move shit on and off the tv screen to the tablet like the HUD, so you get a whole screen rendered world with no bullshit clogging up that beautiful background

Shurayuki

Wait, are we just ignoring this? This is kinda cool!

Events usually have PR people, so they'll hold everybody at gunpoint to not release info, I trust all our new info will have to come from leaks, sadly. Though if the "nordic" part means there is a leaky chance of the new Longest Journey game coming to Wii U (hey, episodic DD distribution is it's concept?! also Tablet Adventure YES) then consider myself on the blow-up-hype-duck.

Terrell

Well, since bg seems to think analog triggers are in (YAY!), only one tiny gripe to hope for changes to, and that's face button size. I'm fine with it either way but would greatly prefer larger buttons.

Has to be canned now. Hopefully they reallocate the resources to bringing over DOA5 instead.

Well, we'll probably get both, since Team Ninja and Nintendo appear to be besties now from out of NOWHERE.

We'll see. I'd like to think we'd get DOA5 Wii U this Fall to go with our Tekken. I generally like DOA better in spite of the stupid realdoll presentation on the female characters.

Yeah, so glad they have a new character designer. And it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks to Tekken's appearance at E3 2011, I think a lot of fighting games are gonna make the transition, like the Capcom fighters (first console versions in 1080p), perhaps the new Darkstalkers, Mortal Kombat (they'll need to recover the investment from the totally abysmal Vita port).... but what I'm really looking forward to is Virtua Fighter 6. Make it happen, Sega.

RedSwirl

I'm still not expecting cross-game voice chat on Nintendo Network, but it would at least be cool if the touch screen allowed cross-game IM through Pictochat.

Medalion

Banned
I'm still not expecting cross-game voice chat on Nintendo Network, but it would at least be cool if the touch screen allowed cross-game IM through Pictochat.

Why not?

They have a mic and a camera on the tablet controller, I think that functionality may be there one day if not by launch or for certain games

Well, we'll probably get both, since Team Ninja and Nintendo appear to be besties now from out of NOWHERE.

What do you expect when Nintendo let Team Ninja develop a Metroid game?
If Nintendo let any company develop any of their IP's, they'd either have to be really close, or become best friends forever and ever.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, it's Near Field Communication. It's radio communication stimulated by touch. It's the same tech that apps like iPhone Bump use.
NFC does not bother with touching. It's all spiritual.

it's used as quick access to melee in shooters without having to remove your thumb from the stick. That's my biggest gripe about it a while back. I remember arguing about this with guek a while back, but to me there is no better option than a click stick for melee in a shooter.

Click sticks are functionality there is no reason not to have. Especially how it's used in some of the most popular "core" games of the generation.

I'd rather they put them in there too, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's that big of a deal if they don't.

Analog triggers are a different matter, certainly hope they fix that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like an excellent way to have your game leak early.

Steam does it just fine. As long as the framework is there for encrypted files, nobody will ever hack it. In fact, Steam encryption is probably the best early release piracy protection around. I don't think it has ever been cracked.

RedSwirl

Idea: If a full Metal Gear is ever made for the Wii U, the codec (and probably radar) should show up on the touch screen. If they ever do another MGO and it get's a Wii U version, players could call each other by codec, and the interface would show up on the touch screen with each player's face (or avatar's face) showing up in video chat. Each player who has a character in the game could even have their own frequency.

You shouldn't have to be chained to it down to the hardware though. I'm sure developers can figure out how to account for one or two fewer buttons. I've seen them do it before.

Nintendo going against what has been set forth as a relative standard doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they are out to capture the "hardcore" Western market now, as they have purported.

RedSwirl

Nintendo going against what has been set forth as a relative standard doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they are out to capture the "hardcore" Western market now, as they have purported.

We're talking about clickable sticks here. Not the lack of an analog stick. Is it really THAT important?

Nintendo saying "me too" instead of "look at this", is not Nintendo at all.

Nintendo is being Nintendo by providing the touch screen.

The, err, non-Nintendo supplemental feature, aka standard controller layout, is what should enable them to compete in the way of ports, attracting Western developers, and so on.

It fits in with their supposed new philosophy. Which by throwing out the aspect of a more standardized controller makes their claims seem rather dubious.

We're talking about clickable sticks here. Not the lack of an analog stick. Is it really THAT important?

Well, I'm talking about clickable sticks, analog sticks, and a really, really stupid button cluster/d-pad location.

Oddduck

So just a question.

Is it safe to say that Nintendo has been kind of lazy with creating good D-Pads on controllers?

I'm talking systems like GameCube, 3DS, and some of their other controllers. Like the Wii remote's dpad being way too small.

Which is strange because Nintendo use to be the kings of making good Dpads.

So just a question.

Is it safe to say that Nintendo has been kind of lazy with creating good D-Pads on controllers?

I'm talking systems like GameCube, 3DS, and some of their other controllers. Like the Wii remote's dpad being way too small.

It's fair enough to complain about the GC D-Pad (I think that was just a GBA one, right?), but I've never had any problem with the Wiimote one, how big are your hands?

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
So just a question.

I doubt it's being lazy... there must be some reason for the d-pads.

RedSwirl

So just a question.

DSLite Doad is still my favorite Dpad. I also think the Wii's Dpad (maybe the one for the classic controller) is better than Sony's or Microsoft's.

beje

Banned
You can be sure analog + clic triggers are going to be there due to the Gamecube Virtual Console compatibility. They're not going to make you buy YET another controller aside for it, it's already bad enough in the Wii without the tablet. They cannot afford fucking anything up, and they're surely going to get a lot of trouble from the beginning with the non-plus wii remotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom