• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its Darvish vs the Jays tomorrow

Not the Rangers, just Darvish

Darvish Darvish Darvish is all Sportsnet is going to be talking about all day tomorrow, like its the World Series =/

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So its Darvish vs the Jays tomorrow

Not the Rangers, just Darvish

Darvish Darvish Darvish is all Sportsnet is going to be talking about all day tomorrow, like its the World Series =/

Haha, I didn't even realize until today that it was against Darvish...I tend to not watch sportsnet unless I have to.

Going to the game tonight too.

ToxicAdam

It's the end of April and the Indians are in first place. Well, this is unexpected. They aren't even playing very good baseball either.

ts/dr - AL CentrLOL

verbum

Some rankings:
Mitch’s MLB Baseball Power Rankings as of April 30, 2012
(I don't know who the heck Mitch is, but I agree with his rankings.)

1) Texas Rangers (1)-No one is thrilled to see them on the schedule right now and while the starting pitching may be an issue at some point the bats are taking care of business for now.

2) Los Angeles Dodgers (4)-Some how I am starting to think when they are home they are going to go up in the rankings and on the road they will go down. Kershaw and Kemp both are heating up.

3) St. Louis Cardinals (2)- The Cards are beatable but when they play the teams they need to beat it looks like a statement game every time.

4) Baltimore Orioles (10)-I don't get a chance to rank the Orioles high too often and while they are in the mix and at least in the next three spots (which are almost interchangeable), Let's put them here.

5) Tampa Bay Rays (12)- This team is all about pure guts and when they don't understand when they are supposed to lose it means tough days for their opponents.

6) Atlanta Braves (7)-The Braves are heating up and now they get Hudson back so look for them to be very tough the rest of the way.

7) New York Yankees (5)-Beat Verlander but they are in third place in the division. They need another starting pitcher.

8) Washington Nationals (3)-Have lost their last four games and the pitching is still there. The Nats need some bats.

9) New York Mets (13)-The Mets have absolutely no quit in them and really they have a lot of upside and could hang around for a while.

10) Cleveland Indians (14)-The Indians moved into first in the A.L. Central but a lot of it had to do with the teams in front of them losing.

11) San Francisco Giants (16)-The Freak looks to be back and the hits are starting to come. Look out N.L. West.

12) Toronto Blue Jays (8)-The Jays look like the same team we have seen from them in recent years where they are competitive but their bullpen just stinks.

13) Chicago White Sox (9)-Some blown leads and then a shaky home stand but with Jake Peavy in form they could be tough.

14) Detroit Tigers (6)-the Tigers are 2-8 in their last 10 games so when Verlander and Porcello don't win it makes for some rough stretches.

15) Boston Red Sox (28)-After plunging in last week's rankings the Red Sox won six of their seven games this week and are right back in it.

16) Cincinnati Reds (18)-The Reds haven't hit full speed yet but they are getting closer as the bats and starting pitching are coming into form.

17) Colorado Rockies (11)-Not as good as they looked last week as their overall pitching isn't good enough but they can score in bunches.

18) Milwaukee Brewers (17)-The bats aren't what they were but it's actually the starting pitching which can't stack up and they can't beat the Cardinals.

19) Arizona Diamondbacks (15)-The D-Backs look nothing like the team we saw at the end of last year that refused to lose.

20) Oakland Athletics (20)-It's clear Oakland isn't good enough to consistently beat good teams and not bad enough to consistently lose to them.

21) Philadelphia Phillies (21)-The teams behind them are playing really bad or this could be even lower. The Cubs took two of the first three games in their series.

22) Seattle Mariners (22)-The Mariners are better on the road than they are at home and pounded the Tigers but then looked like they quit in Toronto.

23) Pittsburgh Pirates (23)-Seem to always be playing a better team than them and up against it.

24) Houston Astros (25)-The Astros are better than they were last year but they were really bad last year.

25) Chicago Cubs (29)-Played well against the Cardinals and the Phillies, now if they can just beat the bottom feeders.

26) Miami Marlins (19)-Lost six in a row, won and then lost again. If Guillen wasn't fired for what he said off the field what is happening on the field is reason enough.

27) Los Angeles Angels (24)- Almost double digits out and we are just hitting May. Could be in huge trouble by the end of June barring a big time turnaround.

28) San Diego Padres (26)-If they could score three runs every game they would win a lot more but they can't even do that.

29) Kansas City Royals (30)-Ended the losing streak and put a few wins together. Ended the week with a loss and they haven't won a home game yet.

30) Minnesota Twins (27)-I move the Twins out of the basement last week and they lose their next six games. Twins fans better hope I keep them in this spot as it seems to be the only thing that works for getting them to win.

From some sports betting website.

eznark

Banned
18) Milwaukee Brewers (17)-The bats aren't what they were but it's actually the starting pitching which can't stack up and they can't beat the Cardinals.

It's actually the relief pitching but overall correct. Cardinals are bending us over.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
not a bad april for the rays, we'll take it

Yep. Very good month indeed.

Catcher remains the biggest issue on the squad. Not really impressed with Jose Molina at all. He does do a good job framing pitches but he's really old, fat and slow. God awful at blocking pitches. And can't hit a lick either. Not sure how the Rays are going to address this but it's definitely the biggest hole.

Bullpen has been iffy too. Should get better though, Peralta isn't this bad and has been lights out of late and Farnsworth should be back in a couple weeks.

Brinbe

And we thought the bullpen was gonna be a strong-point for us this year. =(

Also, goddamn @ this division. All five clubs are above .500 and in the top 15 in those power-rankings. Christ...

mYm|17|

Yep. Very good month indeed.

Catcher remains the biggest issue on the squad. Not really impressed with Jose Molina at all. He does do a good job framing pitches but he's really old, fat and slow. God awful at blocking pitches. And can't hit a lick either. Not sure how the Rays are going to address this but it's definitely the biggest hole.

Bullpen has been iffy too. Should get better though, Peralta isn't this bad and has been lights out of late and Farnsworth should be back in a couple weeks.

Really rather have Gimenez playing more than Molina and SRod needs to get better offensively too. Glad to see this lineup with some power finally though.

Bullpen will figure itself out once Farnsworth gets back.

eznark

Banned
It's kind of just dawning on me that this is a west coast week. I'm losing my touch. I used to schedule my week around these with later meeting and such. I'm totally unprepared for this. Multiple am meetings all week and nothing to fill my late afternoons. Son of a bitch.

verbum

It's kind of just dawning on me that this is a west coast week. I'm losing my touch. I used to schedule my week around these with later meeting and such. I'm totally unprepared for this. Multiple am meetings all week and nothing to fill my late afternoons. Son of a bitch.

Fishing shows are on all day. : ) Maybe some trips with the baby to go boating or swimming. 80-90F in your area this week.

Sanjuro

I just see the amusement of a Detroit fan telling me anything of that sort. Seeing how Detroit is home of racist tweets and a city that nobody wants to willingly visit.

Sanjuro

I'm referring to the fans, nothing else. If you're going to throw a Detroit joke around at some point make sure it's a good one.

I'm referring to the fans and the city. Don't need to make a joke about Detroit.

No shit. Clearly the Boston fan started this. No need to lump NY in with a backwater like Boston.

Also, it doesn't permeate all of MA. Cape League baseball is fucking raaaaaaad

I need to go to more games this year. Haven't been to a Gatemen game in forever.

I'm referring to the fans and the city. Don't need to make a joke about Detroit.

I need to go to more games this year. Haven't been to a Gatemen game in forever.

I haven't heard of any racist tweets on Detroit teams other than the occasional "Detroit needs to stop getting Swedish players"

Speaking of detroit, how is Comerica? I'm visiting there sometime in the summer.

Comerica Park is beautiful, it does have the most expensive beer in MLB though. Downtown Detroit is a great spot for restaurants and shops. Just be sure not to drift too far or you'll get robbed.

Also:

Matsui signed by the Rays to minor league deal :O

Sanjuro

Speaking of detroit, how is Comerica? I'm visiting there sometime in the summer.

It's a pretty decent ballpark, but it's a pretty terrible trip.

I haven't heard of any racist tweets on Detroit teams other than the occasional "Detroit needs to stop getting Swedish players"

Also:

Matsui signed by the Rays to minor league deal :O

You haven't heard of any racist tweets, but you mention the Joel Ward incident? Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom