• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that were actually s***

Status
Not open for further replies.
rivWh.jpg

I really enjoyed the concept as a kid, and I recently purchased the complete series on DVD for ~$20. Sadly, I watched about 5-6 episodes and realized it's really not very entertaining for some reason. I still want to watch all of the episodes, because I really enjoy the overall concept, it's just not fun for some reason.

The 2003 series brought it back and had amazing fighting. Not on the level of Spectacular Spiderman but still it was really good. The 90's cartoon? They were dancing around lasers shot by storm troopers with their helmets on backwards.

The fighting was never the best part (also 2003 is a giant pile of shit), TNMT worked because of the light tone mixed with massive story lines.

He was wrong on every level.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I was already kind of picky when it came to watching cartoons as a kid, so I had mostly figured out what was watchable and what wasn't. Basically, I just stayed the hell away from anything Hanna-Barbera and sorted out the rest into "watchable" and "bearable".

It just got worse and worse though, from the golden days of the 80's to the early 90's action to "let's kill all of these great shows off because they are too violent" (they even went as far as banning Darkwing Duck for this very reason in my country). Even the animation got worse. I'm surprised it's not all stick figures by now.

G0523

Sonic the Hedgehog
SatAmbox_set1.jpg

Geez, where to start. This show was basically a furry version of captain planet. Robotnik and Snively get off on polluting the planet for no discernable reason and its up to Sonic and his furry friends to stop them. Throw in some oddly placed magical elements here and there, and slap a chilly dog on it. Sonic on ABC was just horrid

Gotta agree with the OP on this one. I enjoyed the series as a kid but when I bought the DVD (yes, this one) and rewatched all the episodes, I tried staying awake. It was so boring! I don't blame ABC for cancelling this one but how the comic book series is still going (STILL!) is way beyond me.

Ithil

Pretty much all dubbed versions of children's anime are god awful. From DBZ through to Pokemon, it's loaded with shitty scripts, shitty VA, shitty edits and shitty music (aside from intros).

Malik77

Neo Member
Dragon ball Z, kind of, I read and liked the manga but I've always thought 80% of the show sucks thanks to the fillers, I watch it because I wanted to see the cool scenes in motion.

I recently bought the first season to watch again, and I was horrified at how bad it really was. I used to adore that show and watched the same episodes so many times. I am dissapointed in myself for liking it so much.

Dishwalla

Banned
rivWh.jpg

I really enjoyed the concept as a kid, and I recently purchased the complete series on DVD for ~$20. Sadly, I watched about 5-6 episodes and realized it's really not very entertaining for some reason. I still want to watch all of the episodes, because I really enjoy the overall concept, it's just not fun for some reason.

Most of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons have that problem, they are all boring as shit. Can't believe they lasted as long as they did.

Trouble with Voltron is that even if the episode is decent, it's still going to end with the standard "corny joke is made involving the goddamn mice and/or Pidge and everyone laughs" routine or else some one-shot character will sum up the outcome of the story and Keith will remind everyone that "it's all thanks to VOLTRON, defender of the UNIVERSE!" Just leaves such a bad aftertaste. The music is still awesome, though. If the live action movie actually happens, they better keep that sweet guitar.

This sums up how I feel about Voltron. Although, the show did have some god awful voice acting from what I remember. I make it a point to not rewatch it, just so the nostalgia stays intact.

ITT people eventually name every tv show from the last 2 decades. Anyway the X-Men show for sure, from the 90s. Such cheesy writing.

Red

have any of you guys watched street sharks lately

it used to be so good and now it is just wretched

mummies alive! is still good though
Street Sharks is among the worst shows to ever appear on television.

I imagine the writers were shackled and abused and could earn food only by making shark puns.

If you want to know what shows weren't awful, you need to ask your parents. They know. The same thing will be true when your kids grow up. If the child-nostalgia trend continues on like it is, they'll be bias about the junk they watched but you will know what was decent.

the answer was one at best, most likely none

forrest

formerly nacire
I still love them both dearly, but neither have aged well.

Thundarr the Barbarian
title8lke8.jpg

Dungeons and Dragons
tumblr_lrrjiwk1lr1r1xdrke2.jpg

I absolutely loved Scooby Doo. That show was pretty dumb in hindsight, but I guess it's ok.
No Scooby Doo is pretty terrible. However, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., is amazing. If you get a chance to watch that do so. It's a smart reboot with genuine laughs. Sure there is still a man in the mask conceit but it's an interesting show despite that.

he-man.jpg

This motherfucker right here.

Even as a kid i knew it was crap.

I think this series was the epitome of reusing animations to create an episode outside of hanna-barbera. It was just crazy. I think they designed episodes like a jigsaw puzzle. Intro - Animation A - Animation C - Animation E - Animation B - End Change the dialogue and some of the backgrounds and even those were reused. Man... that was really bad.

I cannot for the life of me re-watch an episode of He-man. I don't know how did i put up with it as a kid and why i bought the toys.

Rugrats, Lilo and Stitch, Wild Thornberrys.

There are some duds but most shows are still as great when you grow up, like Hey Arnold and Dexter's Lab.

Jobiensis

The fighting was never the best part (also 2003 is a giant pile of shit), TNMT worked because of the light tone mixed with massive story lines.

He was wrong on every level.

Gotta agree with you. TMNT is still good.

I don't think there are any cartoons that I liked as a kid that I won't like now. I do remember hating the merchandised cartoons that started coming out, most notably He-man and Transformers.

Lets be honest here, just about all of them.

Came here to say this.

People put on the nostalgia glasses and bitch and complain about how animation "sucks" these days, but man, shows like Adventure Time blow nearly everything from when I was a kid out of the water.

Animation from the '70s to the early '90s, with a few exceptions, was a ghetto of badly written kiddy shows and half hour toy commercials.

Sonic the Hedgehog
http://nerdsontherocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/SatAmbox_set1.jpg[IMG]
Geez, where to start. This show was basically a furry version of captain planet. Robotnik and Snively get off on polluting the planet for no discernable reason and its up to Sonic and his furry friends to stop them. Throw in some oddly placed magical elements here and there, and slap a chilly dog on it. Sonic on ABC was just horrid[/QUOTE]Get out. The Sonic cartoon was awesome. Letting furries retroactively ruin good things means that they win. Do you want the furries to win, IrrelevantNotch?

Dyno

I was really sad to see that this didn't hold up well...

images

This cartoon SHOULD have held up well. It's got an amazing premise and it's a great world. Really this cartoon should be rebooted. Animation and story-telling in cartoons has come a long way. Thundarr could be a badassed cartoon if done right.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
TMNT 80's and Transformers come to my mind, as well as Challenge of the Go Bots.

Also Digimon in all its incarnations. Jesus fuck are those shows hard to watch. Like looking back on your childhood and realizing you were frequently molested.

wtf

what is this

Stop watching horrible dub please. It's essentially the best mon anime to ever exist, even with its lowest shows (02).

Also I bet you only know of seasons 1 - 3 (and maybe 4). 5 is outstanding as well as the latest one.

Deadbeat

Banned
Mario Brothers Cartoon. But to be fair I only saw the last 5 minutes because of when I got up so I always missed most of it. What a piece of shit that show was. Seriously.

Everything else held up quite well. Earthworm Jim is good. The Racoons is great. Rockos Modern Life is good.

Anyone says Ducktales, I cut you

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time with foster families, one of then were a black family with kids the same age as me, and we would all watch Ducktales together everyday.

the only racist stereotype I had of black people was that they all loved Ducktales.

PK Gaming

notl.jpg

It's been said before, but DAMN OP nailed it on his first shot. It's a shame really since the intro to the show is so fucking good.

Just LOOK at the intro. The art is crisp, it's filled with over the top action... and then when you actually watch the show it's like your parents telling you santa claus doesn't exist. I watched an entire episode (the venom episode) and it was just so damn bad. I feel bad for my parents for having to sit through this shit back when we owned just 1 TV.

Mario Brothers Cartoon. But to be fair I only saw the last 5 minutes because of when I got up so I always missed most of it. What a piece of shit that show was. Seriously.

What version did you watch? The one based on SMB3 was damn good, but the Super Mario World was gutter trash.

Dyno

notl.jpg

It's been said before, but DAMN OP nailed it on his first shot. It's a shame really since the intro to the show is so fucking good.

Just LOOK at the intro. The art is crisp, it's filled with over the top action... and then when you actually watch the show it's like your parents telling you santa claus doesn't exist. I watched an entire episode (the venom episode) and it was just so damn bad. I feel bad for my parents for having to sit through this shit back when we owned just 1 TV.

I think everyone involved in that 90's Spiderman cartoon did a lot of cocaine.

Orayn

In terms of overall quality? Almost none of the cartoons I liked as a kid were bad. The occasionally awful animation of X-Men and Spider-Man bother me today, but they were both pretty groundbreaking series in other ways.

The group that "localized" Samurai Pizza Cats didn't even have copies of the original script, so everything they did was completely original and written to roughly match the apparent plot of the episode. The end results were pretty damn impressive if you ask me - I think someone from the original production company even said that they liked the American version better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom