• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - $19.99 at K-Mart starting 5/6 - 5/12

Thanks to CAG for the heads-up.

Edit: apparently, it's an ad mis-print, but stores should still honor the price on the ad (will require an override). Can still take the ad to a competitor to price match.

axQix.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This is the best deal ever on this game. Those of you who haven't picked it up yet (and are interested) would be utter fools to not pick it up at this price.

Game is great.

This is the best deal ever on this game. Those of you who haven't picked it up yet (and are interested) would be utter fools to not pick it up at this price.

Game is great.

Yep, I'll be picking it up this Sunday through a Best Buy price match. Been playing Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri lately, so the system's been getting some use after two years in exile. Can't wait to play it.

Kajiba

If you don't have it already

Getgetget. I had fun playing this game when I took a break playing the other systems.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only thing that really damned Skyward Sword was timing and expectations.

The usual "childhood memory" expectations of a Zelda game coupled with it being released as basically the final big Wii game was a recipe for trouble. It was unlikely that any game, even Zelda, could tear up the sales charts with Wii on its deathbed.

Nintendo went ahead and finished this game up because, well, it was all they could do really. Too much invested to "disappear" it, even by their standards of canceling / moving major projects. On top of that, the game does require M+, and despite the sales of Wii Sports Resort , Nintendo failed to make M+ a hot item with non-Wii Sports players. So too many potential buyers of Skyward Sword didn't feel like buying the game+hardware.

"That's why they should have done it RIGHT and had no fucking motion controls!" <-- this is the instant kneejerk response from the Skyward Sword motion control hate wagon as it passes by.

But that never could have happened, tho many people will drop dead before admitting it. Why? Because it's Zelda, ironically. It's the "native" Zelda for Wii, the game everyone expected years ago.

It seems many people have totally forgotten, after years of ingrained cynicism regarding "waggle" and the hardcore gamer's boogyman of 'casualization'. But turn the clock back to 2006, and you know what you saw? Nothing but excitement for potential. The potential of playing a Zelda game with "a real sword in hand". Stuff like that. One reason Twilight Princess was a let down for some people, at first, was that it didn't play like Nintendo promised and inferred Wii games would play. It didn't have "real" swordplay.

So people said "wait for the real Wii Zelda. Twilight Princess is just a port. It's a huge disappointment, but they'll make another Zelda." People were just angry that they'd have to wait years for the next Zelda, as is usually the case.

Fast forward back to 2011. Skyward Sword comes out, the one Wii game where Nintendo fulfilled their almost forgotten promise of the epic that made every use of the Wii's unique interface; the fundamental concept of the Wii itself.

But half or more of the audience (and potential audience) for the game approached it with years of hardened bitterness towards the 'plague' of motion control and 'gimmicks'. Regardless of how good or bad it is, how well it works, many refuse to accept that the game is exactly what it is because it could never have been otherwise. It had to be made, essentially; the long delayed validation of what the Wii was supposed to be at the beginning.

But it came too late; released into an environment practically designed to rip it to shreds for not being "conventional". (Imagine that.) On an end of life cycle platform. Requiring an accessory to play it, technology that should have been in the Wii at launch (and Nintendo knows it) that would have forestalled so many wasted opportunities and enabled the kind of games people thought they'd be getting right at the start.

Anth0ny

That is a really fast price drop for a first party Nintendo game.

Twilight Princess was full price until the Nintendo Selects line started 5 years after its launch.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I doubt this is an official price drop. It's probably just Kmart clearing out stock. Kmart is horrible and I wouldn't doubt it if they're still trying to sell off their initial launch-day shipment. Nobody shops at Kmart anymore.

salpa

Banned
I like how people are assuming a timed price drop from K-Mart means that Nintendo is dropping the price or that anything is doomed.

Do any of you even shop at K-Mart? The day Skryim came out it was there for $30. Their video game and electronic department is going down the drain. They do offers like this all the damn time. I bought SF4 for the 3DS the day it came out for $25.

BurntPork

Banned
I doubt this is an official price drop. It's probably just Kmart clearing out stock. Kmart is horrible and I wouldn't doubt it if they're still trying to sell off their initial launch-day shipment. Nobody shops at Kmart anymore.

They have the MSRP listed as $29.99, though.

Tuck

It's just one store. Not an official price drop until Nintendo says so.

Anyways, the game sold well. Not as well as it deserved, but well.

Glass Joe

That is a really fast price drop for a first party Nintendo game.

Twilight Princess was full price until the Nintendo Selects line started 5 years after its launch.

I think this probably has to do more with the Wii ending its life cycle than a Zelda game bombing. But with it's Motion + requirement and later release, it did have some strikes against it, similar to how MM didn't pull OOT numbers (needing the expansion pack, I mean).

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The price is reasonable for the what you're getting, but it doesn't excuse the fact that this is the worst Zelda game, ever.

rhino4evr

I love when I read that Nintendo shouldn't have included motion controls, when the ENTIRE FUCKING game was designed with motion controls in mind. Get over it people. I enjoyed the game, but there were definitely some issues with it, motion controls not being one of the issues

Top Bottom