• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told Pachter their E3 focus is on services over games, is this a good idea?

ZenaxPure

Disappointing? Sure. Unexpected? Not really.

Pretty much how I feel, exactly. It depresses me they are going in this direction, turning the console more into a media device than strictly a game console. It legit makes me sad to see how further the video game market "evolves" next gen.

guek

Banned
It really doesn't matter. GAF might rage, but it's not going to make a lick of difference, just like nintendo's embarrassing 2008 conference didn't stop them from making some monster sales numbers that year.

I do think we'll get some hardware related announcement, though nothing to do with XB3. Probably kinect packed in with all 360s like Pachter is predicting or something along those lines.

THE:MILKMAN

Why do these "services" have to be included with almost every CE box I own?

TV= iPlayer, YouTube, Music Unlimited, VOD etc.
Bluray= Same
PS3= Same
Etc

Call me old fashioned but I want a video game system for video games!

The audience paying attention to E3 is the core gamer and they want to hear about games. There are plenty of other conferences to showcase this stuff like CES.

While I agree, it's become more and more apparent to me over the past couple of E3's that the big three don't care that ever diminishing core base of gamers is hanging on every word, sentence and announcement.

It seems like all three in recent years have been trying to appeal to the more mainstream audience and mainstream media. They are looking to be "the story" of E3 that will be somewhere in every major news service across the globe the next day.

If you didn't know anything about videogames and read something about the past few E3's the only thing you would know about is Kinect and the 3DS. It's great free advertising.

Toki767

Up until a few years ago E3 was mainly about numbers and how many things companies have sold with some games sprinkled in. I'm not particularly interested in just services but it'd be silly to say people aren't using those services the 360 provides.

Kacho

Gold Member
I think he brought up a good point in saying that the core gamers have already purchased a 360 so they can't really rely on them to increase their hardware sales this late in the generation. They will show off Halo and Call of Duty and in the execs minds this is enough to appease the core gamers for another holiday season.

They will continue focusing on the ever improving interface options as well as the multimedia functions of the 360 to appeal to the broader market in hopes of pushing more units up until the launch of the next Xbox console. It's just a business decision and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it from that perspective.

antonz

While I agree, it's become more and more apparent to me over the past couple of E3's that the big three don't care that ever diminishing core base of gamers is hanging on every word, sentence and announcement.

It seems like all three in recent years have been trying to appeal to the more mainstream audience and mainstream media. They are looking to be "the story" of E3 that will be somewhere in every major news service across the globe the next day.

If you didn't know anything about videogames and read something about the past few E3's the only thing you would know about is Kinect and the 3DS. It's great free advertising.

I think MS just needs its Nintendo moment. After Nintendo had its super casual E3 they realized E3 was not the place for it after the massive backlash. I just dont know if MS fans are brave enough to give MS that kind of backlash.

Anth0ny

Of course it's a bad idea. It's what they've been doing for the last two years. How many times can you demonstrate how to navigate the 360 dashboard with Kinect? Christ.

Tookay

I think MS just needs its Nintendo moment. After Nintendo had its super casual E3 they realized E3 was not the place for it after the massive backlash. I just dont know if MS fans are brave enough to give MS that kind of backlash.

I don't know if MS fans give a shit to be honest. Not in the sort of "they betrayed us" way Sony and Nintendo fans do.

Arxisz

Hahaha...oh MS. this isn't the first time they did this so I wouldn't be surprised.
Makes me hesitant to buy their next console...

Has there ever been a really good MS conference? I feel that they are hardly remarkable in any way, neither good or bad. There's been some funny Kinect gifs in the past couple of years, but other than that... they are as exciting as the 3rd party conferences at best. I really don't give a shit about some service for sport watching and whatnot, b-celebrity guests, the latest Call of Duty demo, etc.
Their exclusive games content is simply too poor.

At least the gifs will be glorious. As a 360 fan, last year's E3 was horrible, but the gifs kept me laughing for days. If we have at least one Shawn Michaels-caliber Kinect gif this year it will be worth it.

markot

Banned
E3 is about games >.<

... I mean, its consoles and publishers showing off games. Not a general tech expo.

antonz

I don't know if MS fans give a shit to be honest. Not in the sort of "they betrayed us" sort of way Sony and Nintendo fans do.

I think there is that too. I have to deal with alot of younger gamers frequently for focus testing etc and I find that most of them who play 360 near exclusively basically dont care what happens as long as they have a Halo or Call of Duty to play.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They did this at the start of last gen too. PS3 did it too then it didn't work out as well, and they focused more on games.

S0N0S

It's a bad idea imo, because E3 is about games. The audience paying attention to E3 is the core gamer and they want to hear about games. There are plenty of other conferences to showcase this stuff like CES.

Entertainment has eclipsed gaming on XBL
and they're streaming E3 over Xbox Live.

Besides, they no longer need to sell the 360 to the gamer, because every gamer that ever considered buying a 360 probably already bought one (or more). I'm sure next year will be quite different, though, because they'll be selling their next console to hardcore gamers first (while 360 continues to sell to everyone else as a multimedia hub).

That was their intention since 2005.
I believe it was their intention even before the first Xbox. After the failure of WebTV and the growing success of Sony in the console space - who is an electronics company first - they saw an in through console gaming. This was inevitable.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jesus, that was the worst part of their last e3. Now we're seeing this shit full on? Their console reveal is gonna blow

Leave that stuff for outside e3, e3 is for games

Sponge

Banned
I was holding out on selling my 360 until what was in store for E3,

After hearing this I may just go ahead and do it now.

Dali

Terrible idea. As someone said this seems to be have been their strategy the past couple of years. Their 1st party exclusive E3 reveals have been less than stellar. If I were them I'd show a trailer for an awesome first party title with graphics that are obviously well beyond the capabilities of any current consoles (whilst making clear all footage is actual in-game/in engine) then at the end of the trailer display an enigmatic message saying "coming soon to the..." or "exploding onto consoles 2013" or something along those lines. Basically reveal the software before the hardware. Have people buzzing about their new console without even mentioning it. Of course you'd some convinced it was a 360 game and maybe the full power of the 360 has finally been unlocked... which would be a good thing. You'd get all kinds of positive MS buzz, with the 360 possibly benefiting from some of it. Something along the lines of the Killzone 2 reveal... only less bullshit and without it clearly being announced as being on their new console.

They just want 3rd parties to make the games. That strategy has been effective this generation since 3rd parties are making the majority of the best experiences. They have Halo 4 for 1st.

We're to assume the bulk of their first party is working on next-gen projects. It's the 360's last major year, so it's fine that they only have Halo, Forza and Kinect Fable (and a bunch of strong Live Arcade titles) if their new studios/development money are building strong next-gen content. Services are things that can build the platform and cross generations and hardware, even if they're less exciting. Games can be covered by the third party, which takes up 95% of releases on both consoles, and the couple of strong first party licenses already announced.

Bgamer90

Banned

Entertainment has eclipsed gaming on XBL
and they're streaming E3 over Xbox Live.

Besides, they no longer need to sell the 360 to the gamer, because every gamer that ever considered buying a 360 probably already bought one (or more). I'm sure next year will be quite different, though, because they'll be selling their next console to hardcore gamers first (while 360 continues to sell to everyone else as a multimedia hub).

Exactly. They are trying to make the 360 attractive to people even when the new Xbox is out. Really obvious.

I believe it was their intention even before the first Xbox. After the failure of WebTV and the growing success of Sony in the console space - who is an electronics company first - they saw an in through console gaming. This was inevitable.

Good point. But yeah, I said 2005 since I remember their E3 conference that year stating what they wanted the 360 to be (e.g.: "your media/entertainment hub").

I don't really see gaming consoles being strictly gaming consoles for long. With how many people use their ps3/360wii's for netflix vs gaming it just makes sense. Even a pc isn't strictly gaming. I just hope they keep improving the gaming aspect as well.

Fjordson

Tough to say right now. Will people like us here on GAF like it? No. Most of us will probably hate it. Bu we're a small group in the grand scheme of things.

Good for Microsoft as a company and Xbox as a brand? Possibly.

dream

A lot of people seem to want Microsoft to target the niche when there's clearly a bigger audience to attract. I get that it sort of feels like seeing your favorite indie band get big but going for a broader audience doesn't mean you won't have your video games; it just means there will be other things to take advantage of other than playing video games.

markot

Banned
That's the direction this is going in, though. Games are a small part of a broader strategy now.

The direction Microsoft is going >.> Sony too... sadness.

I dont care about hulu or pulu, they are already on like 20 devices in most peoples homes...

And microsoft can show this stuff off at forum appropriate events, e3 is about games.

Its like going to the Circus to eat the popcorn.

The xbox 360 hasn't been about games for years, I have no idea why this would be a surprise.

It's totally been about games, just not ones the core demographic of GAF would enjoy.

As for the topic, I think I'm out Microsoft. Your new dashboard is more annoying than a 1999 Angelfire homemade website and it's become little about what I own and more about what I should own.

Fuck it. I'll probably stick to PC gaming unless the neXtBox is something really amazing. I'm a console gamer more-so than PC gaming but it's the last refuge of somebody who wants to be in control of what they see.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For the US maybe, but the fruits of those deals hardly ever reach Belgium, so no in my case that sounds entirely uneventful.

If they have the worst E3 ever it won't matter a damn bit and I'll laugh at it while leveling my Barbarian in Diablo 3.

I was holding out on selling my 360 until what was in store for E3,

After hearing this I may just go ahead and do it now.

Why would you even wait? Did you really expect some sort of revolutionary announcement for the nearly 7 year old console, this late in the generation, that would change you mind about the console? Bullshit.

People want megatons every conference. It's a fucking press event. This should be no surprise to any of you, considering Microsofts direction in the last 2 years. Put a "Shocking News" in the title.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have no problem with them making the 360 a massive home entertainment system. In fact, non-gaming stuff probably takes up half the usage for me.

I just don't want to hear about it during E3.

Makes me feel better about selling my system a while ago. Not that I felt bad. There just doesn't seem to be much content on the horizon that is of interest to me. Was never really interested in the extra stuff that was not game related.

it's gonna be: Halo 4 gameplay, COD playthrough of water level, Tomb Raider gameplay, Kinect footage, but what new service could they possibly be showing off?
Sounds like it's gonna be EXACTLY like E3 2011's presentation.

Top Bottom