• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1ner

Wasn't comfortable with the 690 in the V700 and the CPU cooling options in there.

While I'm waiting for the V750 to come in stock so I can get to cutting it, ordered the 3820, G1 Assassin 2 Motherboard, AX850 w/ white cables, 4 sticks of the Vengeance Low Profile, and a Crucial M4 128. Gonna stick it in the 600T for the time being to help with cooling for decent OC runs on the 690.

With it all in there, up and running, I won't be tempted to cut corners with properly finishing the V750. Need to wait for the 690 EK Waterblock anyway.

1) Get the Vengeance Low Profile or Gksill Ares listed in the OP. Low profile is always a better decision. The XMS you have listed runs at 1.65V which can cause some issues, but it might not too. Either way, the OP stuff is what you want.

2) MSI has certainly come around. For X79 and Z68/P67, ASUS and ASRock has the least widespread issues. Z77 is a bit too young to say for certain on this round.

3) 3570K isn't worth it over the 2500K except in a few rare instances.

And I believe I am done:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/7PtE

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.34 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£75.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.38 @ Ebuyer)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£88.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£13.08 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £388.73
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-06 19:37 BST+0100)

With parts I am going to carry over:
GPU: ATI Gigabyte 1gb 5850
PSU: Tagan TG500-BZ 500W Power Supply

I believe I shall be gaming at 1440 by 900 with no issues.

In the future I will be upgrading my Case as case design has improved massively in the last 6 years. I am currently sporting an ugly full tower. If I got the cash I will do that in June.
I will probably grab a replacement monitor near the end of year as well.

I appreciate the help guys, the GAF collective never lets me down!

Sh1ner

Sh1ner why dont you get an Ivy Bridge CPU ?

Thought about it, its only £5 difference, for an extra 100mhz clock + lower watt usage. Allegedly Sandy Bridge doesn't hit as high when over clocking. I assume there is more headroom as well when OCing on Sandy.

Assumptions will be the death of me. Since its £5 difference, if GAF can sway me I will switch to Ivy but I assume the difference here we are speaking of are small are they not?

mkenyon

Banned
Thought about it, its only £5 difference, for an extra 100mhz clock + lower watt usage. Allegedly Sandy Bridge doesn't hit as high when over clocking. I assume there is more headroom as well when OCing on Sandy.

Assumptions will be the death of me. Since its £5 difference, if GAF can sway me I will switch to Ivy but I assume the difference here we are speaking of are small are they not?
5% performance increase at clock for clock, but has lower OC headroom. The "rare instance" I was referring to is if you both are A) not interested in overclocking, and B) looking at getting two really high end cards like 680s. Generally those two things don't go together.

Sh1ner

5% performance increase at clock for clock, but has lower OC headroom. The "rare instance" I was referring to is if you both are A) not interested in overclocking, and B) looking at getting two really high end cards like 680s. Generally those two things don't go together.

I will be OCing but I will not be taking it too seriously + I will buy a decent air fan in the future when I do decide to OC.

Your right about B, I ain't getting two high end cards. I will just upgrade my single card if I get to a point where I need to or I might be a second ATI mid range card and cross fire probably the latter as I would probably need to upgrade my PSU with 2 graphics cards.

I assume I can dump a PCI Express 2.0 card into a PCI Express 3.0 slot? Nuts I should have thought about this first. Edit: Answer Yes did my own googling.

Danielsan

I'm thinking of dumping the 3750k and going for the 2500k instead. Would a z77 motherboard still be preferable or should I be looking for a different mobo?

My current pick is the Asrock Z77 Pro3. Are there any better choices within that price range?

BlackJace

Is there any reason why people prefer Intel to AMD? I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.6 Ghz processor and its perfect.

I always thought it was because Intel has the name, but if anyone could share opinions that'd be nice.

I'm thinking of dumping the 3750k and going for the 2500k instead. Would a z77 motherboard still be preferable or should I be looking for a different mobo?

My current pick is the Asrock Z77 Pro3. Are there any better choices within that price range?

You'd gain more and native USB 3.0 ports with a decent Z77 mainboard. Not sure how much it is worth to you.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Is there any reason why people prefer Intel to AMD? I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.6 Ghz processor and its perfect.

I always thought it was because Intel has the name, but if anyone could share opinions that'd be nice.

Some people just want to have the "best" performance, I just like the idea of having what I need with my AMD system, I don't need those extra few seconds of quicker encode or the extra 5fps etc etc nothing wrong with either imo..

Brand loyalty plays a bigger part, I strictly look for the best price to performance ratio.

BlackJace

Some people just want to have the "best" performance, I just like the idea of having what I need with my AMD system, I don't need those extra few seconds of quicker encode or the extra 5fps etc etc nothing wrong with either imo..

Brand loyalty plays a bigger part, I strictly look for the best price to performance ratio.

Thanks for the opinion. I guess its just minor preferences ;)

Danielsan

You'd gain more and native USB 3.0 ports with a decent Z77 mainboard. Not sure how much it is worth to you.
The 4 USB 3.0 ports on the Asrock Z77 are definitely nice to have. I have no qualms about keeping it in my setup. I was simply wondering whether the Z77 boards go along nicely with the 2500k in terms of overclocking and performance.

KaoticBlaze

just wanted to drop in and post my new rig using pc part picker. im going from a 2010 Imac running windows to this, its my very first rig im building and its mainly for gaming. im very excited about it so here it is:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Graphics: GTX 580 1.5GB
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW_24B1ST
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB

cant wait to see her in action :-D...all the parts should arrive this week and she should be up and running by next weekend.

feel free to post any thoughts or concerns about this rig...but please be gentle as its my first time lmao

mkenyon

Banned

This is coming from a guy who bought nothing but AMD chips since Athlon 64 days.

It's not just a slight 5fps faster or better encode time. Intel from Sandybridge on is objectively better by huge margins, and at significantly lower power draw.

43296.png

43308.png

43289.png

Basically, any game that is even slightly CPU dependent on having really speedy cores, we're talking 30%-50% improvement once you take overclocking into account. It's huuuuuuuuge.

Smokey

nah man, the game has changed with Sandy Bridge. It's much quicker than AMD offerings.

edit: beaten by MK with pretty graphs

Sh1ner

I am sticking with the Z77 board as well but a different brand and probably specs. I am most likely going with the 2500k over the 3750k but to be fair I don't consider either one a wrong decision since they are only £5 a part and offer comparable performance with slightly different gains in different areas.

suaveric

Argh! I'm all ready to build the new computer and I'm just about to install the Antec BP 550 Plus when I notice some weird white stuff on the end of the PCI express plug. It looks to me like it's a bit of glue or something. I can see more of the stuff all inside the power supply itself. I tried plugging the plug in to my old graphics card to see if it would even fit and it does with no problem. So the question is, do I go ahead and install this as is or do I return it?

He's a picture of the plug:

1qAUk.jpg

Danielsan

Well just made my order. Decided to go with the 2500k instead of the 3750k. Reasons being that the 2500k runs cooler when overclocked, performance difference is virtually non-existent when overclocked, the 2500k is tried and true and it saves me €15 which I can put to a 360 controller adapter.

Final buid:
Corsair CX 500WATT V2
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - 3.5inch
Corsair Vengeance DDR3,1600-8GB KIT
Corsair Carbide 500R White
Sony Optiarc DVR DL 24X,SATA
Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OverClocked, 2GB
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B SCMG-2100
Intel 2500K
Asrock Z77 Pro3

Total cost:
€824,81

Well, here is my final build:

• Intel Core i5-2500K $209.99 (with savings coupon)
  • MSI H77MA-G43 LGA 1155 $94.99 (free shipping)
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 $46.00
  • Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C $59.99
  • Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB $89.99 (with savings coupon and free shipping)
  • SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA $14.99
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99

Sub total:$565.94 (Canadian price)
Final price with shipping charges and 12% HST: $664.10 (Canadian price)

All parts being purchased from newegg.ca.

There's no videocard included with this purchase. I plan on buying one with my next paycheck in another week or two. So it isn't really a big deal here. But I think it's a pretty good purchase, given the budget I am working in.

Anyone have any critiques before I make the final purchase?

hyduK

Banned
So, turns out it was the mobo the whole time. Finally got it all working.

36JYN.jpg

Not sure why my RAM is showing as 667mhz? It's Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz.

kyyv8.jpg

edit: nvm, got it.

and thanks to everyone who had input when i was trying to get this working initially. ended up being the pins on the motherboard.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, here is my final build:

• Intel Core i5-2500K $209.99 (with savings coupon)
  • MSI H77MA-G43 LGA 1155 $94.99 (free shipping)
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 $46.00
  • Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C $59.99
  • Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB $89.99 (with savings coupon and free shipping)
  • SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA $14.99
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99

Sub total:$565.94 (Canadian price)
Final price with shipping charges and 12% HST: $664.10 (Canadian price)

All parts being purchased from newegg.ca.

There's no videocard included with this purchase. I plan on buying one with my next paycheck in another week or two. So it isn't really a big deal here. But I think it's a pretty good purchase, given the budget I am working in.

Anyone have any critiques before I make the final purchase?
Unless something has changed, you can't overclock with an HXX motherboard. Really limits possible performance. Either skip the K if you really have no interest in getting 20-30% free performance, or get a ZXX board.

Barracuda Greens are pretty terrible drives too. If you have a backup, it's nothing to fret over. But if you are relying on it as a "safe" drive to store media on, I'd worry a bit. To each their own on that though.

Well just made my order. Decided to go with the 2500k instead of the 3750k. Reasons being that the 2500k runs cooler when overclocked, performance difference is virtually non-existent when overclocked, the 2500k is tried and true and it saves me €15 which I can put to a 360 controller adapter.

Final buid:
Corsair CX 500WATT V2
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - 3.5inch
Corsair Vengeance DDR3,1600-8GB KIT
Corsair Carbide 500R White
Sony Optiarc DVR DL 24X,SATA
Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OverClocked, 2GB
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B SCMG-2100
Intel 2500K
Asrock Z77 Pro3

Total cost:
€824,81
Could go cheaper on the case and put money into a better videocard, like the 7870. 690II Advanced and BitFenix Shinobi spring to mind.

nah man, the game has changed with Sandy Bridge. It's much quicker than AMD offerings.

edit: beaten by MK with pretty graphs

Haven't they been ahead since Core? I understand they have had a few competitive offerings depending on the metric.

But yes, it's been a beatdown since Sandy Bridge gave the mid-performance segment a real shot in the arm. (The 7xx and 8xx parts were already solid, but holy crap at 2500k.)

mkenyon

Banned
the Core 2 Quads and Duos were a bit more expensive, same with even the first i5s. Between motherboard and processor, it was a few hundred difference for a negligible frame rate. Sandybridge is what really changed the game.

What the hell, my PC restarted itself for the second time in 20 minutes while playing World in Conflict on Steam....

I played for at least 2 hours straight yesterday....anybody have any clue why the hell this is happening?

MrBig

What the hell, my PC restarted itself for the second time in 20 minutes while playing World in Conflict on Steam....

I played for at least 2 hours straight yesterday....anybody have any clue why the hell this is happening?

Kind of vague, need more information.
Unstable OC? Too much heat? What are your temps under load? Did windows start a shutdown, did you get a bluescreen, or did it just go black as if it lost power?

Unless something has changed, you can't overclock with an HXX motherboard. Really limits possible performance. Either skip the K if you really have no interest in getting 20-30% free performance, or get a ZXX board.

Barracuda Greens are pretty terrible drives too. If you have a backup, it's nothing to fret over. But if you are relying on it as a "safe" drive to store media on, I'd worry a bit. To each their own on that though.

Hmm thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I could spend a few extra bucks and upgrade to a ZXX board. My other option was to either drop down to a 2500 or potentially go to a 3550, which is about the same price as the 2500K priced here.

As for the Barracuda Green, I honestly had no idea what the reputation on these were. I will take a look and see if I could find a replacement.

Kind of vague, need more information.
Unstable OC? Too much heat? What are your temps under load? Did windows start a shutdown, did you get a bluescreen, or did it just go black as if it lost power?

It went black as if lost power (says "no signal" as if someone disconnected the monitor), and then booted up by itself and "start windows normally".

So far the highest temp I've seen while playing WiC is 71 celsius.

I did increase the frequency by 10MHz, I didn't even think that would do much. Let me load up WiC again and see what the temps are.

When did you make the increase? It's not always a matter of what temperature the card is running at. Sometimes the card itself just wont run reliably outside of factory setings. It's random and depends on the luck of the draw as to how stable the materials are that were used to build your card.

Also, some games just do not react well to OC'd hardware. No matter how stable the OC is and how capable the card is for handling the OC.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Does anyone here have experience with upgrading the mobo + CPU when you have an SSD/HDD combo? I'm trying to figure out if I can get a way without having to fresh install. Such a pain in the ass, especially when i have my user files in the HDD.

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone here have experience with upgrading the mobo + CPU when you have an SSD/HDD combo? I'm trying to figure out if I can get a way without having to fresh install. Such a pain in the ass, especially when i have my user files in the HDD.
30 mins if you install from a USB stick. You want a fresh install.

MrBig

It went black as if lost power (says "no signal" as if someone disconnected the monitor), and then booted up by itself and "start windows normally".

So far the highest temp I've seen while playing WiC is 71 celsius.

Could just be a power flux then. Check all the connectors from the PSU. Let it run and set everything back to stock settings and see if it recurs.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Because of this thread, I now have the best computer I've ever owned (and the only I've built). It just runs so great..so much storage and RAM... ungh

Kinda half-assed cable management for now due to excitement (and the lack of foresight in transferring Steam games to an external to speed this up).

The wi-fi Go feature of new Asus boards has been excellent so far.

Elixist

Hey guys wats the best card these days in the 200-250 range? Lookin to do a build finally within a month or two and just keepin my eyes out for deals.

what_rhythm

Neo Member
Hey guys wats the best card these days in the 200-250 range? Lookin to do a build finally within a month or two and just keepin my eyes out for deals.

Video card? Nvidia's GTX 660 Ti ($249) is supposed to come out this summer. The GTX 670 ($399) is expected for release on May 10.

AMD's 7850 ($249) is out now and is supposedly a pretty good overclocker.

Could just be a power flux then. Check all the connectors from the PSU. Let it run and set everything back to stock settings and see if it recurs.
It took me 7 minutes until I saw my desktop when I did a fresh install from USB to SSD.

As for your user files, you can just symlink them if you intend to keep those files on the HDD. Just symlink the entire User folder then you're done. Takes like 5 seconds.

Program Files is an entirely different question since you have to manually reinstall them so they recreate their own registry entries.

Shambles

Well we might not have Micro Center up here in Canada but thats to Memory Express's price beat policy I just scored a sweet deal. Picked up a 256GB M4 this weekend for $182.49. Granted SSD prices are going to drop a fair bit but even still I wouldn't expect things to go this far for a while. Also snagged a 3570K for $199.99. Wasn't sure if I was going to SNB or IVB but since the price beat went through I figured why not? After losing out on overclocking but gaining a bit more performance per clock it's going to come out pretty dang close to the 2500K. Also I'd have to spend another $20-25 to get the 2500K so I might as well get USB 3.0 on die and the other little perks of ivy bridge. I'll just have to be happy with 4.5Ghz. Next up, the motherboard, case, and GPU (Hello there GTX 670!) :D

So the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is one of the most popular and well-reviewed coolers these days, but there's something about it that really bothers me, I'm curious if anyone has noticed this. The actual cooler is held by an X-clip held in place by a circular peg--and since it's circular, the cooler can rotate around it. There's a smaller peg that fits into a notch that's supposed to keep it in place, but it's a little small and still allows about 1-2 degrees of movement. Isn't that bad for a CPU cooler? If I knock the cooler just a little while working inside the case, it can rotate slightly and move the thermal paste out of alignment from what it was.

scogoth

So the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is one of the most popular and well-reviewed coolers these days, but there's something about it that really bothers me, I'm curious if anyone has noticed this. The actual cooler is held by an X-clip held in place by a circular peg--and since it's circular, the cooler can rotate around it. There's a smaller peg that fits into a notch that's supposed to keep it in place, but it's a little small and still allows about 1-2 degrees of movement. Isn't that bad for a CPU cooler? If I knock the cooler just a little while working inside the case, it can rotate slightly and move the thermal paste out of alignment from what it was.

Not a huge issue unless you're using ceramic based pastes. Moving it one or two degrees won't do anything.

ParityBit

So...... I was trying to oc my machine so I could run my RAM at 1866 instead of 1333. 1333 is stable but once I oc, I BSOD or hang. I ram memtest86+ and when at 1333 saw no errors after a 2 tests. When I went to 1866 ( I oc'ed the bios and went right to memtest so i assume it was oc'ed) was getting a slew of errors.

I used the Asus bios auto overclock selection but I see the voltage around 1.485. Some reson I cent get it to 1.5 manually either. This is so frustrating.

How should I go about diagnosing this? Could it be the mono or is it defiantly the ram?

My mobo is an Asus p8z77-v Deluxe and the ram is Coursair vengeance 1866.

Thanks for your help

Ledsen

You've made a huge mistake.

Gob-Bluth.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
You've made a huge mistake.

Gob-Bluth.jpg

What? lol

What I mean is that real world differences in performance are negligible IMO to warrant massive price gaps between the same products.

Price to performance ratio for me is the key factor, quality and dependability are not really a factor between AMD and Intel, never had any of their procs fail oh me.

OK I reverted my purchase back to the BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155. I guess it makes more sense to spend a few extra bucks to upgrade my mother board to a Z77 than it does to downgrade my processor to a non 2500K.

I also switched the Barracuda Green 1.5TB harddrive to a Barracuda (Non green) 1TB harddrive. Which was similarly priced.

From what I can see, the greens are mostly unreliable. And the standard Barracuda line is OK.

I was complaining about the slightly slower boot time with my new mainboard and CPU. Few hours ago it suddenly took about 5 minutes to boot and it turns out that my secondary HDD, a Western Digital, is crapping out on me. The game partition isn't accessible anymore and transfer rates on my data partition go from normal to awfully slow (~500 KB/s right now) and sometimes back to normal again. The HDD is a little over two years old and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I honestly don't know what to buy anymore. I really don't want to buy any Seagate anymore, I had Samsung's dying one me, with another one that is getting weird in my home server, and I hoped the blue WD would last a little bit longer.

mkenyon

Banned
What? lol

What I mean is that real world differences in performance are negligible IMO to warrant massive price gaps between the same products.

Price to performance ratio for me is the key factor, quality and dependability are not really a factor between AMD and Intel, never had any of their procs fail oh me.
Did you miss the charts I posted on the previous page? I was #1 AMD fanboy here, held of on Sandybridge until Bulldozer released even.

Price:performance an i3 outperforms the AMD Phenom II chips. Now think of a 4.8ghz 2500k.

Not certain what 'massive' price gaps you are referring to either. 2500K system vs. PII 980/1100T isn't significant in terms of price by any means, despite the latter getting outperformed by an i3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom