• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

anor londo is such a huge fail, it makes this game a complete garbage just because of that archors on that catwalk lame segment.

Roll straight at the arrows whenever they come your way, then sprint off to the right to make that archer draw his sword.

EZPZ

Mxrz

There's a luck element to it. Sometimes the archers are really dick'ish. Technically it isn't luck/random so much as the timing is affected by where you agro them and how directly you run up the path. A well time kicked usually works, but if you don't feel that confident a bare-handed punch seems to push them back a bit too. Its never been 100% for me either way.

Tinkering with my mage, and having a hard time deciding: Take my her to sl-120 for 45 dex (for faster casting alone), or take her to 50 Vitality / 30 Stamina, or just leave her at sl-80. That's a lot of stats, but it would be nice to land more spells against competent players.

* Could do 50 Vitality & 30 Dex. That'd be 1800 health, but then probably not much of a boost to cast times. 40 Vit / 40 Dex would still be 1590 health though.

Soulhouf

anor londo is such a huge fail, it makes this game a complete garbage just because of that archors on that catwalk lame segment.

I wish there was more of this in the game. Situations that make you think and change your strategy to overcome the challenge.
Tomb of the Giants is brilliant about this because it requires you to proceed with caution and eventually change your play style because the area is so intimidating and different from all the others.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is such a ridiculous overstatement, it's not even worth all the replies, but you're lucky GAF Souls community is so welcoming and forgiving (ironically unlike the games).

I swear, those bloody archers must make up like half of this thread's discussion. There are plenty of Youtube videos detailing plenty of ways to deal with them, and yet people still freak out about it. They're not even that bad compared to some stuff the game can throw at you.

Those archers are pretty mindless to get by. The game does a fine job of establishing that the best way to kill an archer is to get all up in their grill. Apply that tactic here and you'll succeed.

Mxrz

They're not even that bad compared to some stuff the game can throw at you.

Oh, like when you're invaded at the giants, and then the dickosaurus runs past you, and camps on the ledge and doesn't even bother to hide his talisman. Couldn't help but love it.

Just hit 120 with my pvp character. Loving the game right now. Have another character at NG+++. This guy here is my Darkwraith I just jump on to invade all day long. Invading the depths is a lot more fun than I thought it would have been.

Soulhouf

I swear, those bloody archers must make up like half of this thread's discussion. There are plenty of Youtube videos detailing plenty of ways to deal with them, and yet people still freak out about it. They're not even that bad compared to some stuff the game can throw at you.

Many people complain about them because all what you learned so far doesn't help you much to overcome this new challenge and it's so easy to die there. You have to find a new way to pass that point but people are lazy and something like this become a source of annoyance after 30 hours.

I thought there were two different messages, one telling you of a gravelord presence and one telling you of his/hers demise. Always get so excited whenever I see one that I fail to read the text. I still haven't seen any BP enemies in my own world but I have seen both BP giants in Anor Londo and BP mushrooms in the forest while invading. Also spent probably 100+ hours gravelording before I figured out standing around for hours on end is no fun.

The times I've seen BP enemies in my world I never saw a message. If the message reads "disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant" that means they've died so you definitely won't see them after that.

Zertez

The archers in Anor Londo are a little annoying, but once you figure out their weakness, you can take them out several different ways. I think the easiest way is to exploit their size and the small ledge. Sometimes you will get shot in the back at the worst possible time and dying is almost unavoidable, but it is pretty rare. Personally I think the ghost in New Londo ruins are more frustrating and cheap. With the z axis being bugged, sometimes you cant hit them and they become invincible. No matter how many times I have played New Londo, they can still kill me with ease especially when you cant hit them.

I have been playing Demons Souls lately due to the servers going down soon, and I think there is a lot more cheap sections in Demon compared to the few sections in Dark Souls. Overall I think Dark Souls offers many ways to clear tough areas, compared to set ways to get past tough enemies in Demon.

maomaoIYP

Tinkering with my mage, and having a hard time deciding: Take my her to sl-120 for 45 dex (for faster casting alone), or take her to 50 Vitality / 30 Stamina, or just leave her at sl-80. That's a lot of stats, but it would be nice to land more spells against competent players.

* Could do 50 Vitality & 30 Dex. That'd be 1800 health, but then probably not much of a boost to cast times. 40 Vit / 40 Dex would still be 1590 health though.

I feel that the cast time difference is so small it's not worth the investment into dex. Good players won't have much difficulty dodging regardless of the cast time. Instead I mix things up, cast hcsm within range then time a crystal soul spear to their roll. You can also consider putting a pyro glove/talisman on one hand, and keep them guessing.

The times I've seen BP enemies in my world I never saw a message. If the message reads "disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant" that means they've died so you definitely won't see them after that.

I've seen that message, no idea what it means! It started when I joined Darkmoon Covenant.

NG+ is OK so far, although the Skeletons in Catacombs are much harder now. Also, I lost 500k in souls!!! Got knocked off a cliff in Catacombs,
and then the Mage fucker had me! Eek big loss. Don't know why I was carrying so many really, I should of just levelled up. Never mind. Thought I'd go to Catacombs first, join Gravelord and get the ring for the Darkmoon entrance in Anor Lando, need a 2nd version of the boss soul. Never mind heh.

Off to Sens Fortress now. Will, return to Catacombs when I have to :(

Another 'holy fucking hell I love this game' post. So listen to my story, GAF. I started this when it came out last October, with the intention of getting as far as humanly possible before Arkham City/Uncharted 3/Sonic Gens/AC Revelations/other stuff came out. I got all the way up to the Darkroot Forest and had defeated the Gaping Dragon in the sewers but avoided Blighttown. Barely scratched the surface really.

This year, in between doing bits of Mass Effect 3 I've been playing this game a little more, and holy hell, I thought I loved it BEFORE. I grinded massively in the forest and let myself be summoned constantly by other players, amassing Humanity and helping them take down their bosses. In time I defeated the Hydra and the Butterfly. Ventured into the Covenant territory, joined, had a bit of PVP action, got the ring from the ninja (betraying them), grinded massively in this area, eventually defeating Sif and having tons of awesome PVP experiences en route. Also discovered Valley of the Drakes route, defeated the cliff dragon, discovered the back way into Blighttown and tried braving Londo Ruins (but got raped by ghosts).

I then levelled like a mofo to 50+, ventured back into Blighttown built like a tank with heavy resistence, got invaded by some motherfucker who I defeated WHILST taking on the boulder-throwing fatties. Went into Quelaag, kicked her ass, had a look in the Demon Ruins and got owned by Ceaseless Discharge. Went through Sen's Fortress, did it all, got the lightning spear, had an embarrassing moment where I was parried, and then almost immediately backstabbed by an undead knight, defeated the Golem on first try, got carted off to Anor Londo, and now doing that. Yesterday I tried opening a chest in there and it morphed into a beast which bit my face off, it was awesome. It's been a relentless experience and I'm loving every second of it.

This was maybe one of the better games I've played this gen, but recently it's just rocketed right up there with Uncharted 2, Bioshock and ME. I highly, highly recommend to anyone on the fence to give it a go. It demands patience and committment, but goddammit is it rewarding. And anyone else who was as intimidated by Blighttown as I was: Fuck it. Go around it, grind, upgrade your shit and just do other stuff until you're confident enough to go in and really ruin their day.

Nice one, ItchyTasty.

OK I am at the Anor Lando bonfire with all the Silver Knights. The first time I was here I grinded like fuck as I was struggling with the boss. Now I am on NG+ I think it will be even tougher!

I won't have to kill shithead though (who you let out of prison then it kills the Firekeeper) as I slayed the fucker when he was sitting down at Firelink, ha ha ha!

Silver Knights here I come motherfuckers!!!

By the way, the boss soul type drop from Anor Lando, is it related to who which one you kill first?

Mxrz

I feel that the cast time difference is so small it's not worth the investment into dex. Good players won't have much difficulty dodging regardless of the cast time. Instead I mix things up, cast hcsm within range then time a crystal soul spear to their roll. You can also consider putting a pyro glove/talisman on one hand, and keep them guessing.

I played around with pyros some on a high dex character, and I wasn't doing much better. Its a little faster, but not as much as the video had me thinking.

Some weird stuff this morning. I plopped down a summon sign in the Kiln, then a few moments later I get the "Invading another world" msg. I load into the map confused as hell, and get jumped 3v1 by guys spamming 'come at me bro.' Blah. Then later, I'm standing around when all of a sudden the other phantom just backstabs the host. Huh. I started to message him and ask what the hell, but I saw he was Japanese, and figured it was probably lag related somehow.

Actually, about everyone is Japanese going by my players met list. I didn't think NA/PAL regions were that big a minority.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I feel the itch to start a new character. Any idea what might be a fun build after using my lvl 150 Str/Pyro for over 200 hours?

Mxrz

I feel the itch to start a new character. Any idea what might be a fun build after using my lvl 150 Str/Pyro for over 200 hours?

The buff builds are really popular, usually either Faith / Dex, or INT / Dex with either CMW, or DMB, and fast +15 dex weapon. I generally like to do weird theme builds. Claw / throwing knives? Naked Great club? Orstein? Smough? etc.

Is it alright to kill Petrus before saving Rhea?
Yeah. You can kill him as soon as Rhea & company leave firelink, i believe. I goofed around on my last character and forgot to kill him right after Nito. Poor, poor Rhea. You have a really short time frame after she returns.

AEGISX

Banned
This is such a ridiculous overstatement, it's not even worth all the replies, but you're lucky GAF Souls community is so welcoming and forgiving (ironically unlike the games).

No, this bulshit is the worst. I already platinumed the game. Theres no segment in the game pisses me off as much as that catwalk. Rolling over arrows is easy. But the silver knight react differently every time I approach. I have to be lucky, 4-5 tries to get him switching to his sword then doing a charge attack and falling off.

Sullichin

Nice one, ItchyTasty.

OK I am at the Anor Lando bonfire with all the Silver Knights. The first time I was here I grinded like fuck as I was struggling with the boss. Now I am on NG+ I think it will be even tougher!

I won't have to kill shithead though (who you let out of prison then it kills the Firekeeper) as I slayed the fucker when he was sitting down at Firelink, ha ha ha!

Silver Knights here I come motherfuckers!!!

By the way, the boss soul type drop from Anor Lando, is it related to who which one you kill first?

Congrats on beating the game. Right back into NG+ is the way to go. Yes you get the soul of the one you killed last - you can also buy the armor of the one you killed last from Domhall, the guy who chills in the depths and under the bridge by firelink.

Is it alright to kill Petrus before saving Rhea?

Definitely not if the other people are with Petrus in firelink, because they will all go hostile toward you. And I do recall one playthrough where Rhea didn't want to talk to me in TotG, possibly because I killed Petrus earlier.

Soulhouf

No, this bulshit is the worst. I already platinumed the game. Theres no segment in the game pisses me off as much as that catwalk. Rolling over arrows is easy. But the silver knight react differently every time I approach. I have to be lucky, 4-5 tries to get him switching to his sword then doing a charge attack and falling off.

There are still 2 safe ways to defeat them.
The first is poison arrows and the second is is to knock them off the ledge using Dragon Slayer Great Bow although it's only possible from NG+.
I love the second option because it makes them taste their own medicine.

So, I've been relying on the Drake Sword for most of the game now, but I'm looking for a change. I'm level 61 I think with 20 Dex, 19 STR, 11 Int.

I already got the lord vessel and I killed Sif. I also killed the moonlight butterfly.

What would be the best weapon for me? Considering that I upgraded my pyromancy glove to 15+. Can I upgrade it any further?

Thanks for the input guys.

So, I've been relying on the Drake Sword for most of the game now, but I'm looking for a change. I'm level 61 I think with 20 Dex, 19 STR, 11 Int.

I already got the lord vessel and I killed Sif. I also killed the moonlight butterfly.

What would be the best weapon for me? Considering that I upgraded my pyromancy glove to 15+. Can I upgrade it any further?

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes. Go back to the blightown swamp. Warp to the sister of chaos bonfire head out towards the swamp and talk to queelana who is by a pillar just outside the entrance of queelags lair. She will ascend your glove to Ascended +5.

Black Knight Sword all the way!

I have that, and it seems to be more powerful than the drake sword. How should I upgrade it?

Also, why can't I warp to more bonfires? I can currently warp to firelink shrine, sunlight altar, princess's room, anor londo, which is a pitiful amount compared to the ones I already lit :(

krakov

I have that, and it seems to be more powerful than the drake sword. How should I upgrade it?

Also, why can't I warp to more bonfires? I can currently warp to firelink shrine, sunlight altar, princess's room, anor londo, which is a pitiful amount compared to the ones I already lit :(

You can only upgrade it one way, like the drake sword.

There aren't that many warp points, though you will find more later. Most areas can be traversed really fast.

I only wish that the gravelord bonfire could be activated before killing Nito.

edit: oh and to the second bonfire in Archieves. Otherwise everything is pretty close by

I only wish that the gravelord bonfire could be activated before killing Nito.

image.php

Robot Pants

Another 'holy fucking hell I love this game' post. So listen to my story, GAF. I started this when it came out last October, with the intention of getting as far as humanly possible before Arkham City/Uncharted 3/Sonic Gens/AC Revelations/other stuff came out. I got all the way up to the Darkroot Forest and had defeated the Gaping Dragon in the sewers but avoided Blighttown. Barely scratched the surface really.

This year, in between doing bits of Mass Effect 3 I've been playing this game a little more, and holy hell, I thought I loved it BEFORE. I grinded massively in the forest and let myself be summoned constantly by other players, amassing Humanity and helping them take down their bosses. In time I defeated the Hydra and the Butterfly. Ventured into the Covenant territory, joined, had a bit of PVP action, got the ring from the ninja (betraying them), grinded massively in this area, eventually defeating Sif and having tons of awesome PVP experiences en route. Also discovered Valley of the Drakes route, defeated the cliff dragon, discovered the back way into Blighttown and tried braving Londo Ruins (but got raped by ghosts).

I then levelled like a mofo to 50+, ventured back into Blighttown built like a tank with heavy resistence, got invaded by some motherfucker who I defeated WHILST taking on the boulder-throwing fatties. Went into Quelaag, kicked her ass, had a look in the Demon Ruins and got owned by Ceaseless Discharge. Went through Sen's Fortress, did it all, got the lightning spear, had an embarrassing moment where I was parried, and then almost immediately backstabbed by an undead knight, defeated the Golem on first try, got carted off to Anor Londo, and now doing that. Yesterday I tried opening a chest in there and it morphed into a beast which bit my face off, it was awesome. It's been a relentless experience and I'm loving every second of it.

This was maybe one of the better games I've played this gen, but recently it's just rocketed right up there with Uncharted 2, Bioshock and ME. I highly, highly recommend to anyone on the fence to give it a go. It demands patience and committment, but goddammit is it rewarding. And anyone else who was as intimidated by Blighttown as I was: Fuck it. Go around it, grind, upgrade your shit and just do other stuff until you're confident enough to go in and really ruin their day.

Seriously.
Welcome to the game of the decade/generation.

Ran into my first WotG spammer tonight. I was co-oping in Undead Burg with various of new players it seemed like (very cautious, didn't know where items were etc) and I must've ran into this same dumbass about half a dozen times.

As a sunbro helper I wasn't losing anything, so it wasn't much more than a peeve to me, but don't you have to invade UP?

I was lvl 15, I'm assuming the hosts are around the same. WotG is sold by Rhea and requires a faith lvl of 28 - I don't get it, did they start a new game, run down to the Catacombs, do Tomb of Giants until saving Rhea, spend all their souls levelling faith up to 28, just so they can spam WotG on newbies? Uhm, great fun. o_O

Edit - it might've been force, I haven't used either a lot, but I guess Force has a shorter start up animation, it was probably that - still kind of pathetic.

Shawn128

Gah, I totally mistakenly hit that thing behind the hidden wall leading to the Chaos covenant. I swear it looked like one of those things with the leeches in it so I totally charged at it not realizing it was an NPC.

How do I de-aggro it? Absolving my sins at the church? Is it super expensive?

Zertez

Absolving the sin, should work, but in some cases it wont. It isnt very expensive, unless you are high level or have committed a lot of sins. If this is your first playthrough and you dont have many sins, it should be around 23k souls.

Gah, I totally mistakenly hit that thing behind the hidden wall leading to the Chaos covenant. I swear it looked like one of those things with the leeches in it so I totally charged at it not realizing it was an NPC.

How do I de-aggro it? Absolving my sins at the church? Is it super expensive?

half of your current level and add 3 zero iirc.

Yeah. You can kill him as soon as Rhea & company leave firelink, i believe. I goofed around on my last character and forgot to kill him right after Nito. Poor, poor Rhea. You have a really short time frame after she returns.

Petrus dies every playthrough right after I save Reah, no exceptions. It's to the point where I kill his ass subconsciously as if he was a boss or something. Just another part of my checklist. XD

Killed a gravelord servent. Yay. PvP in this game is such trash. Still holding to that opinion.
It is trash, but it doesn't stop any of us does it!

Had a fun moment earlier today in the Depths. Got summoned and helped the host a chunk of the way - not too far before the rats where Kirk invades, then got invaded by a human BP. This guy is blocking the path in the narrow passages, but not doing much else, so I sling some dungpies, this scares him and he backtracks, but then comes back and tries doing the same.

After this standoff of shit-slinging and random stabs for a while, the host and I decide to hoof it in the opposite direction, all the way back to the drop behind the butcher - we basically carry on as per with the level, right to the boss area, whilst the host is summoning Solaire, the BP finally catches us up and decides to block the door to the boss - kind of smart/stupid - we can't escape through the fog, but he is trapped also.

Whilst Solaire has him trapped with his back to the fog, I switch weapons out and use poison resin on a caestus, poison the BP who is now trapped between us three and the fog wall, he gets in some stabs on me, but eventually succumbs to the venomous toxic flowing through his veins. Cue bows and shrugs all round and on to the boss.

If the BP had just attacked when he first appeared, he could've probably won since my character was rocking the Dusk set so my defense was basically nothing.

Man the PvP is such shit. Spent an hour just trying to get 3 kills with the
Forrest
Covenant to get the
Fog Ring
, and every battle ended within 30 seconds from me getting backstabed from up to and including 30 feet away. Luckiley I joined some games where the host was killed by another invader so I got the gift anyway.

edit: didn't even see the posts above me.

Tried to see how much damage I could muster up. Used my Manserpent great sword +15 at 40 Strength with power within hornets ring and gold pine resin. Riposte was doing 2546 damage.

2AdEPT

Yeah pvp could be improved...... but there is a reason why it has won awards for the best multiplayer in any game let alone rpg. So very rarely does the pvp intermingle with the actual game...I can't think of anything more lame than the multiplayer "rooms" or side shows like in uncharted 2.....think of the genius involved in pulling an intricatedly workable multiplayer right into the stryline......definitely deserves awards just for that alone...the fact that gankers and trolls play multiplayer doesn't bother me as much, as although it is tough not to meet this goofs, it is not waht summs up my best memories of multiplayer....Even if I get 1 gold co=oop for every 10 crap ones it still makes it worthwhile.

I rarely get backstabbed anymore. There are ways to bait them into it and counter it. Today I spent time in the depths letting myself get invaded. I must have killed over a dozen invaders. Ended up with 20 humanity and 500k souls(and some hate mail). There are things that I would love to be fixed in this game(havels ring/hornet ring removed) but as a whole it is my favorite pvp of any game I have ever played.

Mxrz

Pvp has a lot of issues, but so did Demon's. Not so much better or worse, just different. Lag from being international and p2p is the biggest thing. Dedicated servers could have done a lot, but at least with p2p we won't have to worry about the servers shutting down.

Its just hard to have a fun fight with lag like that. When you land clear hits that don't register, yet get smacked from things way off, its frustrating. But there's not much else out there like this, so we just have to deal with it. Meh.

Wowbagger

Ran into my first WotG spammer tonight. I was co-oping in Undead Burg with various of new players it seemed like (very cautious, didn't know where items were etc) and I must've ran into this same dumbass about half a dozen times.

As a sunbro helper I wasn't losing anything, so it wasn't much more than a peeve to me, but don't you have to invade UP?

I was lvl 15, I'm assuming the hosts are around the same. WotG is sold by Rhea and requires a faith lvl of 28 - I don't get it, did they start a new game, run down to the Catacombs, do Tomb of Giants until saving Rhea, spend all their souls levelling faith up to 28, just so they can spam WotG on newbies? Uhm, great fun. o_O

Edit - it might've been force, I haven't used either a lot, but I guess Force has a shorter start up animation, it was probably that - still kind of pathetic.

Force doesn't do damage, though. At level 15, your summoners can be level 26 (10+10% up/down), and darkwraiths can invade 10 levels below their own (no +10% for darkwraiths it seems, and no upper limit). So the invader could've been level 36. More than enough levels for WOTG. In fact, picking cleric class and putting all your points into faith gives you WOTG at level 16.

soultron

Banned
Going through withdrawals. Need to play (and hopefully finish) this soon. Tomb of the Giants is a great demotivator, however. :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom