• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

maxpayne345aus.png

This one's mine

Angry Fork

Everything I hate about this game in 1 screenshot.

Still, looking forward to seeing if it has enough playtime in NYC before deciding if I should bother with this, as well as proper writing and the Lynchian creepy moments from the previous 2. I suspect that's been gotten rid of though since shooter fans don't typically like subtly and nuance.

Everything I hate about this game in 1 screenshot.

Still, looking forward to seeing if it has enough playtime in NYC before deciding if I should bother with this, as well as proper writing and the Lynchian creepy moments from the previous 2. I suspect that's been gotten rid of though since shooter fans don't typically like subtly and nuance.

What. The. Fuck.

shooter fans don't typically like subtly and nuance.

Err, the subtle moments are usually my favorite parts in most games (not just shooters).

edit: and to be fair, the fact that Sam Lake is impressed with what R* has done with the game, from what i've heard anyway, gives me enough confidence that i'll enjoy this Max's third outing just as much as the previous two.

Derrick01

Banned
Still deciding if I'm going to rent it or wait for a price drop. My days of spending $60 on a linear shooter are pretty much over but if it's ~10 hours or so I'll probably pick it up down the road.

UrbanRats

Still deciding if I'm going to rent it or wait for a price drop. My days of spending $60 on a linear shooter are pretty much over but if it's ~10 hours or so I'll probably pick it up down the road.
IF you plan on renting it on 360, beware of the 2 discs singleplayer.

BHK3

Banned
edit: and to be fair, the fact that Sam Lake is impressed with what R* has done with the game, from what i've heard anyway, gives me enough confidence that i'll enjoy this Max's third outing just as much as the previous two.

I never held those to any sort of degree, what's he supposed to say? R* ruined the franchise for him and he regrets everything he did with them? :/

I never held those to any sort of degree, what's he supposed to say? R* ruined the franchise for him and he regrets everything he did with them? :/

Well, he is writing the Max Payne comics with Dan Houser. Why would he do that if he regrets everything?

And maybe... he genuinely likes it?

Endo Punk

The setting is actually the main reason why I m excited about this game, and honestly NYC has been SO played out in videogames. Ive never been the biggest Max Payne fan but story wise this doesn't seem to betray anything depsite the original dev not being on board. It's actually a lot more interesting, like 'small fish in a big pond' situation. Max Payne got more than he bargained for and I can't wait to see how it's played out. Rockstar are not the type to dumb down their games after all.

Angry Fork

Well considering what a piece of trash Alan Wake was maybe it was for the better

Blasphemy. AW was great, not as great as MP1/2 which were perfect but good enough for me to replay it without a problem after losing my 7 hour save. And AW has so much atmosphere and feel oozing out of it at every moment, MP3 won't come close in that regard. If MP3 can't touch Alan Wake's atmosphere then it's not going to get anywhere near Max Payne 1 and 2.

Blasphemy. AW was great, not as great as MP1/2 which were perfect but good enough for me to replay it without a problem after losing my 7 hour save. And AW has so much atmosphere and feel oozing out of it at every moment, MP3 won't come close in that regard. If MP3 can't touch Alan Wake's atmosphere then it's not going to get anywhere near Max Payne 1 and 2.

Thanks for your review from the future.

fonz.jpg

UrbanRats

I hate Alan Wake, though it had some very good moments, but that's a story for another thread, i guess.
Let's get back to GTAV, please.

Requesting title change to "Max Payne 3 |OT| Angrier Fork."

I'm waiting for Angry Fork to have a stroke out of anger or something while playing the game before I request it.

Loved Alan Wake as well. Speaking of which, I've yet to try American Nightmare. What's the overall verdict on that one?

I loved it. Great little game.

I hate Alan Wake, though it had some very good moments, but that's a story for another thread, i guess.

tumblr_loz4e8wZVX1qgmd19.gif

Angry Fork

Thanks for your review from the future.

DAT RAW SEEDY OPPRESSIVE CREEPY NIGHTMARISH ATMOSPHERE. I can feel it in my bones I can feel the tension in those beautiful clouds and Resident Evil 5 palm trees. David Lynch just wishes he shot Twin Peaks in Rio de Janeiro instead.

I will wait to see what people think of the game but if there is no nightmare moments or tense atmosphere there will be no redemption.

Fjordson

Seriously. Max Payne is old and boring! Only buying this because I heard beating campaign on legendary unlocks GTA V trailer #2.

DAT RAW SEEDY OPPRESSIVE CREEPY NIGHTMARISH ATMOSPHERE. I can feel it in my bones I can feel the tension in those beautiful clouds and Resident Evil 5 palm trees. David Lynch just wishes he shot Twin Peaks in Rio de Janeiro instead.

I can do that too.

Oh man, look at that poor drunken, addicted, regretful bastard left to rot in the wasted remains of his life in a foreign land where he's totally out of place and everyone wants to kill him. Where he's left a miserable wreck after the deaths of those he loved and the constant car crash that is his life. Where he spends his days walking around in a haze of drugs and alcohol to numb the pain.

DAT DEPRESSING, SEEDY, RAW GRIM HAZY ATMOSPHERE.

Angry Fork

Looks like Deus Ex 3 (which admittedly did have amazing atmosphere).

In all seriousness we shall see who wins out in the end. Optimist vs. Pessimist. I have no faith in Rockstar to get anywhere near the masterful wizardry of Remedy but the verdict awaits. I don't care about epic super duper constructed set pieces or being able to dual wield a rocket launcher and a silenced pistol or whatever fluff nonsense people hype up now. I just want that Max Payne atmosphere, setting, and characters/writing. Everything else is just extra. Setting is already strike 1 so far at least halfway strike so we'll see.

Looks like Deus Ex 3.

In all seriousness we shall see who wins out in the end. Optimist vs. Pessimist. I have no faith in Rockstar to get anywhere near the masterful wizardry of Remedy but the verdict awaits. I don't care about epic super duper constructed set pieces or being able to dual wield a rocket launcher and a silenced pistol or whatever fluff nonsense people hype up now. I just want that Max Payne atmosphere, setting, and characters/writing. Everything else is just extra. Setting is already strike 1 so far at least halfway strike so we'll see.

I'm pretty sure you're going to be disappointed. I just don't see this game having the EXACT same vibe as MP1 + MP2 you're looking for, and unless you're willing to give the game a chance and enjoy the gameplay, which you don't seem particularly interested in doing, there's really only one outcome here: You won't like it.

Fjordson

I might be alone in this, but the setting is one of the coolest things about this game for me. Underused in games and I'm really interested in seeing Rockstar's take on a non-American city.

Looks like Deus Ex 3.

Well, we don't have long to wait now. Release is only... seven days away. So we'll see which of us was right next week anyway.

COUNTDOWN!

SEVEN DAYS!

tumblr_lwp77jfCuw1r6ycrio1_500.gif

I bet it ends with me loving it and you hating it.

UrbanRats

I might be alone in this, but the setting is one of the coolest things about this game for me. Underused in games and I'm really interested in seeing Rockstar's take on a non-American city.

Nah i'm with you.
Only thing i'm not liking (as i've said before) is the boring color palette of the game.

soultron

Banned
Looks like Deus Ex 3.

You're the prototypical gatekeeper fan. Passionate to an extreme degree. Already deciding that a setting doesn't work for a game you've not played is a touch nonsensical, in my opinion.

Have you seen any Brazilian crime films? City of God is an excellent starting point. Brazil, from the crime films that characterize it, is a much harsher place than NYC could ever hope to be because people commit crime in broad daylight. Police are often afraid to go into the favelas, I've read.

I feel you can't comment on the setting until you've seen what it has to offer. Be it through actually visiting Brazil or seeing it in films.

You're the prototypical gatekeeper fan. Passionate to an extreme degree. Already deciding that a setting doesn't work for a game you've not played is a touch nonsensical, in my opinion.

Have you seen any Brazilian crime films? City of God is an excellent starting point. Brazil, from the crime films that characterize it, is a much harsher place than NYC could ever hope to be because people commit crime in broad daylight. Police are often afraid to go into the favelas, I've read.

I feel you can't comment on the setting until you've seen what it has to offer. Be it through actually visiting Brazil or seeing it in films.

Well, it's obvious we won't be seeing any of that as in this game we are clearly just gonna shoot brown people on sunny beaches while gorgeous Brazilian bombshells get horny for our chrome dome protagonist.

In all seriousness though, yeah, Brazil is a fucked up place in some parts of the country. It's actually fucking terrifying.

Fjordson

They are great movies and feature B.O.P.E. which will be featured in the game
Yeah, those are great. I also get a City of God vibe from some of the clips R* has put out.

And Angry Fork, I'm with Net_Wrecker. No chance you like this game, there's clearly a different vibe to this than the first two games.

Nothing wrong with that, your negativity is as valid as our positivity. Different strokes for different folks and whatnot.

soultron

Banned
Even though Angry Fork is the proud last bastion in the MP3 hater fortress, it's great to see that a lot of people have warmed up to this game.

Joking aside, I "get" where Angry Fork is coming from.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
My fellow MAX-GAF brethren! WE ARE ALMOST THERE!!!!!

So hyped ;)

I'm going to bite the bullet on the PS3 version for now, another week or 2 will kill me waiting for the PC version.

The PC version will be mine when i do my upgrade :) Hopefully with most bugs ironed out and some cool mods to tinker with.

max_payne_3_official_sojb2.gif

Top Bottom