• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* is back: OCT-1994: Final Fantasy III!!!

Being banned sucks! Especially when the Neo-GAF is your life. So these would have bin posted last Friday but now that I'm unbanned (and it's nearly 5am where I am) I'm gonna post instead of making you guys wait till Friday.
BTW: November still set for this Friday (DKC!!)

October 1994
U.S. Figures Only

Code:
1    GEN	Mortal Kombat II	 		$61 	Acclaim	    132,490	 / 516,681
2    SNES	Mortal Kombat II	 		$65 	Acclaim	    112,968	 / 511,627
3    GEN	NHL 95	 			$59 	EA	      98,068	 / 170,652
4    GEN	Sonic & Knuckles	 		$57 	Sega	      97,742	 / NEW
5    SNES	Final Fantasy III	 		$74 	Square	      75,307	 / NEW
6    SNES	Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers	                $67 	Bandai	      55,912	 / 80,951
7    SNES	Illusion of Gaia	 		$67 	Nintendo	      38,616	 / 55,106
8    GEN	College Football's Nat'l Championship	$57 	Sega	      37,766	 / 74,689
9    GEN	Bill Walsh College Football	 	$60 	EA	      36,706	
10  GEN	Beavis & Butthead	 		$60 	Viacom	      29,639	 / NEW
11  SNES	Final Fantasy Mystic Quest	 	$65 	Square	      24,716	
12  SNES	Tetris 2	 			$48 	Nintendo	      24,456	 / 67,962
13  GEN	John Madden NFL 94	 	                $31 	EA	      24,328	
14  GEN	Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers	                $55 	Sega	      24,223	 / NEW
15  GEN	Spider-Man & Venom: Max Carnage	$57 	Acclaim	      21,726	 / 52,290
16  GEN	NBA JAM	 			$52 	Acclaim	      20,783	 / 1,171,030
17  GEN	FIFA International Soccer		$32 	EA	      19,440	
18  GEN	Ms. Pac-man	 		$21 	Midway	      19,259	
19  SNES	NBA JAM	 			$61 	Acclaim	      15,594	 / 691,145
20  NES	Dr. Mario	 			$12 	Nintendo	      15,422	
21  SNES	Spider-Man & Venom: Max Carnage	$65 	Acclaim	      15,040	 / 37,894
22  GEN	Urban Strike	 		$57 	EA	      14,630	 / 20,252
23  SNES	Troy Aikman NFL Football	 	$62 	Midway	      14,325	 / NEW
24  SNES	Jurassic Park	 		$44 	Infogrames      13,836	
25  GEN	NBA Showdown 94	 		$34 	EA	      13,729	 / 187,235
26  GEN	Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition	                $56 	Sega	      13,418	 / NEW
27  GEN	Sonic The Hedgehog 3	 	$57 	Sega	      13,384	 / 598,914
28  SNES	Aladdin	 			$38 	Capcom	      12,530	
29  GEN	Troy Aikman NFL Football	 	$61 	Midway	      12,506	 / NEW
30  SNES	Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB	 	$45 	Nintendo	      12,031	 / 319,299
31  SNES	Super Street Fighter II	 	$67 	Capcom	      11,768	 / 215,571
32  GEN	Super Street Fighter II	 	$66 	Capcom	      11,458	 / 126,157
33  NES	NES Open Tournament Golf	 	$10 	Nintendo	      11,387	
34  GEN	Taz: Escape From Mars	 	$52 	Sega	      11,272	 / 24,481
35  SNES	Stunt Racer FX	 		$57 	Nintendo	      11,266	 / 76,646
36  GEN	Aladdin	 			$49 	Sega	      10,802	
37  NES	Nintendo World Cup Soccer	 	$10 	Nintendo	      10,563	
38  GEN	Mortal Kombat	 		$48 	Acclaim	      10,291	
39  GEN	NBA Live 95	 		$52 	EA	      10,097	 / NEW
40  SNES	Mario Paint	 		                $56 	Nintendo	       9,902	

Sega Genesis 		$118 	216,479 / 12.63m?
		Super NES	 	                $117 	161,865 / 10.39m?
		NES	 	 	$62 	22,300   / 26.94m?
		3DO Multiplayer	 	$396 	4,840     / 39k?
		Atari Jaguar	 	$247 	1,978     / 37k?
1994rivalrylineoct4zh.png

Uh, Oh...Genesis back on top! Another X-mas victory for Sega coming?

Previous Months:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108253 - SEPT/94
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107477 - All TOP40s Expanded (Aug/94)

I don't know what you guys think but 75k in two weeks for an RPG is amazing IMO (& at $74!) & other RPGs climbed up: Illusion of Gaia & FF mystic Quest! Even tho it's still at full price! But it wasn't enough to deter buyers from buying a Genesis.

Games slowing down faster than expected:
Sonic 3 (anticipation for & release of Sonic & Knuckles)
Super Street Fighter (MKII effect)
Super Metroid (fell off already)

And notice the extremely cheap NES titles.
Good time to buy one for the classics:D.

Super Metroid bomba, total, especially for such an awesome game. For shame.

The best FF game (imo) didn't fare too badly on its first two weeks I suppose. I guess after seeing FFVII's impact, it's hard to be impressed with that though.:lol

Red Scarlet

The first couple (I think those were the ones I posted in) were like every 3 days or something, it seemed. Maybe you slowed them down after the first few?

Red Scarlet said:
The first couple (I think those were the ones I posted in) were like every 3 days or something, it seemed. Maybe you slowed them down after the first few?

After dropping interest I decided (and was advised) to post once a week, on Fridays. That's the plan unless I'm
banned, again.

If you would have told me, before posting this data, that there was a month in 1994 where DR FRIGGIN MARIO for the original NES(released way back in early 1990!) outsold Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for the Genesis...I would have called you a loon.

Very interesting info. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheebs

Square2005 said:
After dropping interest I decided (and was advised) to post once a week, on Fridays. That's the plan unless I'm
banned, again.
Well its pretty easy for you to avoid getting banned again so we won't miss these threads. Avoid politics topic.

Anyway Sonic debuted at only 4? :(

Cheebs said:
Well its pretty easy for you to avoid getting banned again so we won't miss these threads. Avoid politics topic.

Well, Sonic and Knuckles was released on the 18th. MKII was released on September 9th. So, S&K didn't have as much time to sell many copies. If it was released earlier in the month, it might have taken the top spot.(Though, maybe not. Mortal Kombat was friggin' HUGE back then.

People who buy MKII on the Genesis hate quality.

Well, not many people had BOTH systems at the time! Not to mention the fact that, due to MK1 being superior on the Genesis, most Mortal Kombat players opted to own a Genesis instead of a SNES.

Leonsito

6 SNES Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers $67 Bandai 55,912 / 80,951
7 SNES Illusion of Gaia $67 Nintendo 38,616 / 55,106

bad%20taste%20pochette.jpg

Leonsito said:
6 SNES Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers $67 Bandai 55,912 / 80,951
7 SNES Illusion of Gaia $67 Nintendo 38,616 / 55,106

bad%20taste%20pochette.jpg

The power of licensed games was strong, even back then!

Although, that Power Rangers game wasn't a bad beat-em-up...

Cheebs said:

I was banned for simply bumping a two-year-old thread...:D

critch

Banned
These classic things really kick the thought in the teeth that all games have to be $50 or less. Games being so cheap is really only a recent thing, and will not last.

SW bundles:
SNES w/ All-Stars & SMW - 60,331
SNES w/ ZIII - 55,177
SNES w/ SMW - 8,465
SNES w/ SMK - 5,662
SNES w/ MP - 23,062
SNES w/ SF - 922
GEN w/ Spinball - 13,781
GEN w/ Sonic 2 - 158,529*

*I have no idea what caused the surge in Genesis sales; there was only a $1 price change in the Sonic 2 bundle.

Was it really so rare for people to own both consoles? I had both as a kid, and I don't remember feeling special.

critch said:
These classic things really kick the thought in the teeth that all games have to be $50 or less. Games being so cheap is really only a recent thing, and will not last.

You heard it here first, boys and girls: Final Fantasy XIII selling 75,000 copies in its first month is totally acceptable.

One of the major components of PlayStation's huge success was its cheaper software. We went from a generation where the two top consoles only sold 70M combined to PSX selling 100M all by itself. This kind of growth won't continue with rising prices. It's more likely to shrink.

The kind of hardware and software sales we have today would have been UNTHINKABLE back in 1993/1994.

AdmiralViscen said:
Was it really so rare for people to own both consoles? I had both as a kid, and I don't remember feeling special.

You heard it here first, boys and girls: Final Fantasy XIII selling 75,000 copies in its first month is totally acceptable.

One of the major components of PlayStation's huge success was its cheaper software. We went from a generation where the two top consoles only sold 70M combined to PSX selling 100M all by itself. This kind of growth won't continue with rising prices. It's more likely to shrink.

The kind of hardware and software sales we have today would have been UNTHINKABLE back in 1993/1994.

well, considering even at the higher prices of cartridges, the FF games still pushed multiple million units in Japan back in the 16-bit era. The video game culture is much more popular now than it was back then (here in West)- and it has a much higher user-base of individuals 20-30+ years old.

I'm not saying you don't have a good point- I actually think you do... but I also wouldn't doubt big sales continuing despite games going up another $10 or so.

Link1110

well, considering even at the higher prices of cartridges, the FF games still pushed multiple million units in Japan back in the 16-bit era.

I think Square's later SFC games like Final Fantasy VI, Romancing SaGa 3, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Rudra no Hihou were 11,400 yen.

jenov4

Welcome back! Just wondering, how much was FFIII at retail anyways? I swear I must have seen it at like $89 CDN or more.

jenov4 said:
Welcome back! Just wondering, how much was FFIII at retail anyways? I swear I must have seen it at like $89 CDN or more.

Look between the titles and the publishers on my TOP40 chart, you can't miss it, the average selling price for each game is there.:D

Mortal Kombat just wasn't a very good game. It took people way too long and far too many sales to realize this.

There are like 15 sports games on that list. Seems pretty high.

cartman414 said:
One problem: FF: MQ was always $40 tops.

Yeah but for some reason it was selling for $65 in October '94 while the average selling price thru-out 1994 was $28. It must have bin increased due to FFIII's release b/c it was dropped to $24 the following month.

donny2112

NPD might've gotten the SKUs mixed up between the two games. They did that with Wario Ware: Twisted! and Wario Ware last May.

Nintendo Power October 1994

Oct1994NPCover.jpg

Top 10 - Most Edible Game Paks Justin, N.C.
10. Yoshi's Cookie
9. Secret of Mana
8. Zombies Ate My Fudge Cake
7. Panic Restaurant
6. Taz Mayo Mania
5. Metroid II: Return of Sandwiches
4. Six Pac-Man
3. Face Bowl 2000
2. Madden NFL '94: The Sugar Bowl
NBA Jam
:p

Editor's Corner said:
We continue to receive numerous letters from readers who are worried (and upset) that the NES is not getting equal Nintendo Power coverage. Simply put, Nintendo Power only reviews the best new games. Our coverage is based partly on the rating that a game recieves when it goes through Nitnendo's evaluation process. And lately, NES games have not been rating very high. There aren't very many NES games being developed now. These are the main reasons that NES games don't get the same amount of coverage as Super NES and Game Boy games do. Just as gaming technology races ahead, we must follow with our game reviews. In fact, results from a recent Player's Poll survey indicated that 87.5% of the responents owned a Super NES compared to 80.9% owning an NES.

Little to no NES games in coming months then. :( It's been a good 8-9 year run, though. :D

Super Punch-Out!!
* 4 circuits, 16 fighters, and you

super_po.jpg

8 pages on Donkey Kong Country
* Bananas gone, buddy gone, world shattered! "Serves you right," said Cranky Kong. "Back when I was the hero of the original Donkey Kong, we didn't have bananas. So quit your whining."
* Over 100 areas to explore
* Animal buddies: Rambi the rhino, Expresso the ostrich, Enguarde the swordfish, and Winky the frog
* Kong family: Diddy, Cranky (original Donkey Kong), Candy Kong, and Funky Kong (surfer)
* Bonus areas
* Blast through levels with barrels

Final Fantasy III - When Magic and Technology Collide

FF3.jpg

* 9 pages of coverage and a bonus pull-out map

FF3_map.jpg

Illusion of Gaia

Illusion_Gaia.jpg

* "The action, puzzles, play control and graphics all will remind players of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and the story is as deep and involving as a Final Fantasy game."
* "Illusion of Gaia is a game for everyone; young, old, actino fans adventureers, RPGers, and lovers of pigs. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll eat snail pie"
* Visit the Incan Ruins, the Pyramids, Angkor Wat, the Great Wall of China, and more!

Reviews

Super Punch-Out!! - 3.8/5.0
Final Fantasy III - 3.7/5.0
Illusion of Gaia - 3.7/5.0

Mario's Early Years: Fun with Letters - 5.0/5.0!
3.0/5.0

Previous Months
September 1994 Nintendo Power
August 1994 Nintendo Power
July 1994 Nintendo Power
June 1994 Nintendo Power
May 1994 Nintendo Power
April 1994 Nintendo Power
March 1994 Nintendo Power

Flakster99

About Nintendo Power: so glad they're giving these RPG's the coverage they deserve! I've been anticipating Super Punch-Out for YEARS! Bout damn time! :D

Jiggy

The sales for FFVI and Illusion of Gaia are a travesty. Those are two of the only six games I still own for my SNES*, and still among the best I've yet played--particularly FFVI.

*Yeah, I'd own way more if not for selling off a ton of them--Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Super Mario World, etc.--that I knew I'd be able to re-download on Wii anyway.

Reviews

Super Punch-Out!! - 3.8/5.0
Final Fantasy III - 3.7/5.0
Illusion of Gaia - 3.7/5.0

Unbelievable. I just played illusion of Gaia, it's no where near the quality of FFVI...but everyone here knows that.
NP must have bin trying to boost sales of Enix's RPGs by rating them equally w/ Final Fantasy.

Anyone know other reviews FFIII received back in the day?
I believe EGM gave it all 9s.

Square2005 said:
Unbelievable. I just played illusion of Gaia, it's no where near the quality of FFVI...but everyone here knows that.
NP must have bin trying to boost sales of Enix's RPGs by rating them equally w/ Final Fantasy.
Well, Nintendo did publish Illusion of Gaia in NA and this is a Nintendo-published magazine, so......

Illusion of Gaia was a bore-fest. I actually PRE-ORDERED it (first game ever), got a free T-shirt, too. When it arrived, I slowly discovered it was a thumbs-down yawn-inducer. By the time the crappy iron-on T-shirt dissoved in the wash (about two washes, I think), I'd given up on this game.

Square2005 said:

Anyone know other reviews FFIII received back in the day?
I believe EGM gave it all 9s.

It looks like NP's strategy worked (I just looked it up)... Illusion of Gaia will go on to even outsell
Chrono Trigger
!!

Top Bottom