• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island GOTY Edition is a thing (26/06 NA, 06/07 EU)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah, so Dead Island won a GOTY award somewhere, I guess.

The Dead Island Game of the Year Edition launches in Europe on 6th July 2012, and in the US and Canada on 26th June, Deep Silver has announced. That's for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The Dead Island GOTY includes the Bloodbath Arena mode and Ryder White storyline DLC, as well as The Ripper weapon blueprint. The original game has sold "way over" three million copies worldwide, Deep Silver said.

600x-1
600x-1

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Piss-poor added content. Not a GOTY edition by any stretch.

Who exactly voted this GOTY?

Well, semantics aside, I think it was one of the best and most unique co-op experiences in recent years. I personally would rate it above Borderlands for example (even though I like both) because I think the melee focused combat and deteriorating weapons brought something interesting to the gameplay. It was not shooter focused and that was its strength.

Granted the storyline was not great, but the open world and the mechanics were.

Too bad the DLC sucks.

Grisby

You mean the horde mode DLC that was tacked on and the other DLC that isn't even out yet?
I watched the GB ql with the horde mode and it looked alright. Thought the story DLC was out as well. If a complete edition comes out I'd rather pick that up on disc.

H3xum

Super under appreciated game.

You have to play with friends though. Switch the brain off for a few hours and enjoy the mindless violence and surprisingly funny dialog.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pretty fun premise that wore thin after a while. Hopefully they are able to make a sequel that fixes the enormous amounts of jank.

sTeLioSco

Banned
i really enjoyed it,but i understand why someone might not like it.

the attention to melee combat made a difference.i also played it at pc with high gfx so that might add some more....

i would be interested for deadisland 2

Sullichin

Game was basically broken when it first came out and did not save my progress. That turned me off. Also found the combat to be incredibly repetitive and hated the (lack of a real) loot system. Not sure how such an unpolished game can be considered GOTY, I guess it's just a meaningless term.

Gameboy415

I always wanted to try Dead Island but never got around to picking it up so this is great news for me!
I'm part of the minority that prefers to have physical copies of everything (namely DLC included/unlocked on disc) so keep the GOTY/Complete editions coming!

I'm glad for the GOTY edition. I was interested in the game, but I wanted to hold out to see if there would be some kind of Complete/GOTY edition. Now I'll wait to find it for $15 or less.

Weenerz

Banned
I enjoyed the co-op, but the PC version was very buggy at the start, with the double cursors and crashing some people had.

Ponn

Banned
I'm glad for the GOTY edition. I was interested in the game, but I wanted to hold out to see if there would be some kind of Complete/GOTY edition. Now I'll wait to find it for $15 or less.

Exact same boat. Now i'm wondering if the regular edition goes on sale on Black Friday for like $10 if I should just get that or if the DLC included in the GOTY is worth the extra or the wait for a low price on that version.

GeoramA

Definitely not GOTY material, but it's still a cool game. Looking forward to Dead World or whatever the successor is called.

Empty

good thing they specified that it's the game you get just in case anyone thought they were getting their own literal dead island packed in for free.

the classics bestseller green logo really ruins the 360 boxart. bit needless.

Special Edition box was pretty nice.

236126_pcw_a.png

I don't understand this picture.

Is the bottom part of the picture supposed to be a reflection in water (even though the reflection doesn't match up)? Is the zombie on some kind of land-bridge with upside-down hands & trees sticking out?

I'm thinking the prior, but the reflection muck-up is throwing me off. :/

Good thing I held off from buying Dead Island when it came out. I might pick up the GOTY edition when it enters a Steam sale. I would love to play it with some Gaffers when that time finally comes.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Seems like Dead Island is joining Borderlands in the "games with GOTY editions who didn't actually win game of the year" category.

Seems like Dead Island is joining Borderlands in the "games with GOTY editions who didn't actually win game of the year" category.

Borderlands won a few i think (if it didn't it was most certainly nominated). And I think its well established now that GOTY doesn't necessarily mean the best game of the year, but rather a more marketable way of saying "Our game is even better, buy it with all released content!" edition.

Top Bottom