• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch's 0x10c game code in jeopardy?

Via Twitter

Some clown has written down code from when I streamed 0x10c development, and is threatening to release it before me. Obviously not ok.
Also depressingly demotivating. Makes me want to not stream, and keep more secrets. Poopfiddles.

What a shitty thing to do...

Resolved:
Turns out the "clown" wasn't acting maliciously at all, I just got the wrong idea from second hand information. Faith in humanity: restored!

...aaand

/thread

Riposte

That's kind of brilliant on how obvious it is. Like someone streaming themselves writing down their own password, but no one thinks to write it down.

That's kind of brilliant on how obvious it is. Like someone streaming themselves writing down their own password, but no one thinks to write it down.

umm, on the internet somebody will right that down.

A popular gaming youtuber accidentally flashed a DLC code onscreen once, it was redeemed in like .07 seconds.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Notch should just counter-threaten to release whatever contact information the guy has provided/used. The Minecraft fanbase would probably make short work of him/her

Wouldn't that be illegal in some form? Admitting to plagiarizing work and threatening to release it?

For proof he would have the archived stream video and whatever this person used to contact him with.

He could also point this person out publicly if they decide to release it.

Dineren

Banned
Notch would still retain the copyright to the code he has written so it should be a small matter to take care of the guy if he really released anything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Notch should stop streaming, sue this motherfucker and continue on making cigars from 100$ notes.

Kurdel

Banned
Tweets are not news. Lock this thread.

I thInk that information, relayed personaly from an indy game developer, can be considered news.

We are in disagrement here, my friend.

Also, fuck that guy. Notch seems to spend 90% of the time fighting off haters. I can't imagine the guy releasing a small but of code from a game we barely understand based on a wierd space MMO with a minor focus on programming... I mean, honestly, how menacing can this be?

Steaming while coding your next commercial game. What a smart thing to do! Why not put the source directly on github so we can help!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Steaming while coding your next commercial game. What a smart thing to do! Why not put the source directly on github so we can help!

yeah, I agree. Put clamps on everything and sue everyone out there just in case. Let's make the world better.

tci

I really don't understand why he streams his code anyway. Even stranger that people actually watch it.

Sure it is a stupid thing to do by the person, but what did he really expect from showing his code?

SparkTR

I really don't understand why he streams his code anyway. Even stranger that people actually watch it.

Sure it is a stupid thing to do by the person, but what did he really expect from showing his code?

Some people like watching the development process, especially people who aspire to get into the industry. It's very informative. But yeah he should have expected something like this, people are assholes.

Sean

Banned
Simple solution to this problem in the future - if you want to keep something like the source code for your unreleased video game private, don't live stream it on the internet for all to see.

Not defending the scumbag thief, but this is 100% Notch's fault, he allowed it to happen.

Simple solution to this problem in the future - if you want to keep something like the source code for your unreleased video game private, don't live stream it on the internet for all to see.

Not defending the scumbag thief, but this is 100% Notch's fault, he allowed it to happen.
Pretty much.

dLMN8R

Considering that the game is practically nothing in its current form, so what? It's so incredible early in everything from design to implementation, I can't imagine any idiot would be able to cobble together what's there into anything remotely complete.

Complaining about somebody stealing your code you were streaming online and now whining about it online? Seriously, that guy starts annoying me.

lilltias

She dressed very slutty and deserved the rape.

soultron

Banned
Dude... unless you want help with your code, nobody should be seeing unless you release it after you've completed your project. Not saying the dude who's threatening to leak his code isn't a douche, but Notch should've been a bit smarter as to show his code as it was in progress.

Seriously, people want to be the next Notch/Mojang/Minecraft, so to give them that opportunity is kind of foolish.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Absolutely. It's like broadcasting that you keep your house key under the door mat and then getting pissed cos someone robbed your house.

Why would you broadcast the source code of something you're relying on to sustain you before you've even released the product? I don't even...

neoanarch

Sounds like the guy asked permission and notch didn't reply. Seriously if your going to stream it live considered the code released.

Deadmau5 did this a while back and he didn't go mental about his song being put up on youtube by someone else.

Dineren

Banned
What's the point of streaming while you code other than bragging anyway?

I've watched him stream while coding before and I found it to be a pretty interesting look into his style of development. Can't say I'd want to sit there for hours and watch him, but I can certainly see the value for some people and it's not exactly a common opportunity. Kind of surprised there is this much backlash against him for it.

Aselith

I don't understand the nature of Notch's complaint. So he streamed his code thus releasing it for public consumption and now he's mad that someone is going to release it? Even though he already released it by streaming it?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is a kind of funny situation... Is he really streaming 100% of his programming work? That doesn't sound smart. He could always just stream his work space and only show the PC screen when he wants to show something in particular and otherwise just keep talking about what he's implementing and how and then showing the actual results in the engine. Releasing what was streamed sounds like fair game to me, it's already public information and in theory anyone could write it down and compile it for his own use so this guy would just be making it more convenient, not so radically different to that however. I also doubt it would affect the popularity of the game. If anything it would just increase interest on it if it ended up on some outlet visited by people who aren't already fans, though it's most likely that whoever goes to the length of finding and downloading this to try it out (it's still far from a complete game, or even anything close to Minecraft's early releases, right?) is already a fan and just saw an opportunity to try it early, and will still buy the game when it becomes available. Well, it's kind a dick move but no reason to get worked up really.

Edit: ok so it was a false alarm... Notch really should avoid commenting on things from "second hand information" or whatever...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I don't understand the nature of Notch's complaint. So he streamed his code thus releasing it for public consumption and now he's mad that someone is going to release it? Even though he already released it by streaming it?

Please take 10 minutes to think on how retarded this logic is.

vazel

Banned
Honestly, who would pirate a notch game. Some people may download it if it's leaked before the official release to preview it but everyone'll end up buying it anyway.

Top Bottom