View Single Post
StevieP
Member
(05-29-2012, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by StateofMind

I think both the Wii and PS3 have inflated hardware numbers (relative to software buyers) because there have been a lot of people buying those systems who aren't particularly interested in games. I see this in real life, and we all see it on sales charts.

This is super YMMV and eye-ball data, but if I walk into a house with a Wii, I feel like there's about a 70% chance that they'll have nothing but Wii Sports and a dancing game. If I walk into a house with a PS3, I feel like there's about a 30% chance that they'll only be using it for Blu-rays and Netflix. If I walk into a house with a 360, I 100% expect to see some kind of collection of games. Obviously this isn't actual data, but that's the point I'm trying to discuss.

How bout some actual data: the Wii's software tie-in ratio is 8.5 per console, according to the latest Nintendo financial report. That's within spitting distance of the PS3's tie ratio and just over a game off the 360's.

And this thread... wow.
ITT, people confuse "hardware power" with "hardware features". These people get it:

Originally Posted by Brad Grenz

Like with UE3, UE4 compatibility isn't a matter of power, but programmability. If WiiU doesn't support the base level of GPU programmability UE4 requires, it won't be supported by Epic.

Yes

Originally Posted by Donnie

The demo at GDC won't run on WiiU no, the engine will eventually. Well see UE4 on any device with a modern feature set including mobile phones. "Power" isn't relevant.

Yes

Originally Posted by OryoN

This will probably be my first AND last post on the topic.

It's just an engine, nothing more! The matter to be concerned about is the possibility that some software may exploit that engine to a degree that overwhelms the Wii U, to the point where scalling back certain details makes it look/feel like an entirely different game.

Because of the deminishing returns, I personally believe that hardware in the near future will have to be tremendously more powerful than Wii U for the above case to be possible. The famed 3-4x multiple just won't cut it. It's still a valid concern in some - albeit less major - ways.

In any event, it's really up to the developers whether or not they want their UE4 game to look like the original Pac Man, or the industry's next best-looking game - and everything in between.

For reasons stated above, the power of the Wii U - in relations to UE4 - might only matter on a per game basis. Whether the engine is eventually supported on Wii U, will come down to the feature set of the console(devs already stated it has modern features), and how agressively Epic is trying to push their new engine. IIRC, they already implied that they plan to support other platforms much sooner than they did with UE3 and it's eventual debut on mobile, so we'll see IF and where Wii U fits, in their forecast.

Yes!

And this from someone who would be in a position to know:

The Wii U "officially" will not run UE4, this is no surprise to anyone here. (I said as much) An official confirmation of sorts from Geoff Keighley, via twitter, courtesy of Nirolak at Neo-Gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475868 I said that it was a transitional console, I didn't mince words. This term was meant to clearly deliniate the Wii U as beyond this console generation's visual & feature set capabilities, though not occupying the same technical power space as the Orbis & Durango.

I view this as a non-issue however, the Wii U is capable of more than what the Unreal 3 engine provides. (on current gen. systems) Gearbox's Wii U version of Aliens:CM should show this within the framework of UE3 cross-platform development.(esp.within their custom lighting engine) 4A Games' Metro:LL should follow suit as well on their proprietary engine. (some programmers over there are extremely gifted, & want to push the technical envelope even further) Proprietary Wii U engines will showcase this best however, as specific toolkits & feature sets are created to exploit the console's strengths. Expect more than just Retro's offering to truly impress at E3. Nintendo has made some very strong 3rd party partnerships for both cross, as well as console exclusive software.(even contacturally in some instances) This will not change once UE4 becomes widely accessible to developers. A repeat of the Wii's software demise is not in the cards I assure you. This also assumes that UE4 becomes the de facto middleware solution for the next generation.

Most developers will be utilizing Unreal 3 as a base early on regardless of Orbis's & Durango's ability to run UE4. As I posted earlier, MS's Durango's now going "all in" with UE4 as of the GDC. Prior to the GDC the Durango wasn't compatible either. In any case, do you truly believe that UE4 won't be scalabe to an extent? Frostbite, Cryengine, etc certainty are. From purely an economic viewpoint, this scenario makes no sense.

You won't see Epic make UE4 games on Wii U. That doesn't mean anything in regards to whether it will run on the hardware - the features on its chips will. Just in the same way that Durango will be running the engine despite not having a GPU that isn't comparable to the Kepler 680-equipped system used to demo the engine at GDC.
Last edited by StevieP; 05-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.