• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the specs are very good if it has those high level shades and teselaton like someone else mentioned. Definitely noticeable leap from today's games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Let the crow begin if the specs are even somewhat accurate. I'm a happy about the ram about 3x last gen with a good amount of edram at 720p this system is gonna be champ.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't get it. Retail machines have half the memory as dev kits? So retail machines have 1.5 GB of memory?

i-Lo

So it's unified memory of 1.5 GB (minus whatever OS takes away)?

Also, if the features are modelled after AMD R7XXX and the GPU has a suffix of '7', does it hint that the GPU may be based on de-tuned R7xxx itself?

StevieP

Banned
Yeah and I want to know why we should believe you since as you say you're not in the industry and you didn't get given that tag for no reason.

That's fine. Mock me for my tag. I'm telling you this is pretty much a copy+paste job from the SDK lol.

That's what makes me think it's fake, without clockspeeds of the GPU and the number of shaders it's impossible to place the performance of this thing.

Those numbers are not in any of the original PDFs. That's why you don't see them.

I would expect them to get at 4gigs.

Well... or higher.

mik83kuu

Banned
Bitching how a video game console only has USB 2.0 and then someone saying "LOL even my PC has 4 USB 3.0 slots" is what GAF is made of.

Can someone tell me if these are good?

Not really, because the key specs of the GPU like shaders, model, and clock arent there.

32MB EDRAM compares favorably to the 10MB in 360. Then again it has multiple render targers to deal with because of the controller.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to clarify something. I just noticed that we will have 2 usb but I thought someone officially confirmed that we will have 4 usb.

Orayn

I don't get it. Retail machines have half the memory as dev kits? So retail machines have 1.5 GB of memory?

Yes, but bear in mind that this isn't the newest devkit. Another rumor suggested that the current retail spec is 2GB, with ~500MB reserved for the OS.

n0n44m

so this is the first Nintendo console ever to feature multi-channel audio? :p (6 channel = 5.1 = no 7.1 support...)

the 2MB cache for core 1 and 0.5MB cache for 0 & 2 is interesting ... I can't remember ever seeing that before

That's what makes me think it's fake, without clockspeeds of the GPU and the number of shaders it's impossible to place the performance of this thing.

Doesn't mean it's fake, it means Nintendo was/is purposefully hiding that info. Which basically all sources have confirmed.

Biggzy

So it's unified memory of 1.5 GB (minus whatever OS takes away)?

Also, if the features are modelled after AMD R7XXX and the GPU has a suffix of '7', does it hint that the GPU may be based on de-tuned R7xxx itself?

Even if it was, it would still be impossible to gauge how powerful it will be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought Epic were pushing for 4GB of RAM in next-gen.

They'll most likely get it in NextBox but Nintendo probably doesn't want to put out a $500 system right now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Moon language to me. What is all that supposed to mean?
It confirms much more modern architecture than the 360. And it has significantly more RAM. But how much more powerful is hard to say without clocks and more info on the GPU.

I know 90% of people won't care and this is what's already announced but this would really suck:
Support for 6 channel discrete uncompressed audio (via HDMI).
No support for popular compression formats would mean no 5.1 here for example, and for anyone not willing to buy a new receiver just for a console.

so roughly how does it compare to the 360 and ps3? i felt like i was reading a chinese or something since i dont know anything about technical specs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What kind of PC graphics card level of power are we looking at here?

Well that's the problem with the info. It could fall anywhere depending on the configuration, and info on the configuration is absent :\ Maybe it was still in flux when this info was leaked.

StevieP

Banned
Don't get so defensive. All everyone wants to know is why they should trust you since you admit to not being in the industry.

Of course you shouldn't trust me! look at my tag lol
You can ask some devs to pop in here if you'd like.
This matches basically word-for-word on the old SDK

They'll most likely get it in NextBox but Nintendo probably doesn't want to put out a $500 system right now.

Most likely?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
in pc-terms? midrange? (with low end being current gen and high end being the gtx690)

Hard to really know as it just tells us feature set stuff but it doesn't give us actual #s for clock speed, bus speed, shaders etc...

It's also hard to know even if this info is accurate just how out of date this info is even if it was accurate at one point in time.

If I had to take a guess seems similar to a 4850/4870 or maybe the 5770 depending upon if all of the feature set is correct. Definitely not PS4/720 level, but a shit ton better than either current console either.

Why is no one commenting on the inclusion of a Tesselation unit? That's a good thing, too, right?

360 had one too, but never supported it. Hopefully it'll be usable on Wii U. Even somewhat good if not great-looking games like DX:HR look much better with DX11 and tessellation.

in pc-terms? midrange? (with low end being current gen and high end being the gtx690)

For a pc it would be mid to low range but above what the xbox 360 can do.

These specs to good to be true for a nintendo console.

These specs if true would be good for a nintendo console. More powerful then current but prob not as powerfull and xbox 720 and ps4 BUT good enough that the new console games can be ported to it.

Like i said these specs are perfect if true , but I highly doubt them

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why is no one commenting on the inclusion of a Tesselation unit? That's a good thing, too, right?

Because the 360 had a tessellation unit. It entirely depends on how modern and capable it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom