• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

King_Moc

Banned
It's something called launch. Where games usually aren't using the system to its fullest capabilities

I am kind of surprised NSMB Wii U isn't 60fps. It is doing absolutely nothing at all special technically. Is it because they know it'll be one of those games using multiple pads, and so they locked it at 30?

It doesn't say Mario isn't 60fps. Just that the rep used Pikmin as an example. If the Wii can do NSMB at 60fps then i would be utterly shocked if this couldn't. Not that i'm not utterly shocked that it can't do it in 1080p. I mean, what the hell?

And I thought they suggested that the frame rate adjusts on the fly if you use multiple gamepads?

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, for that, I thought we're past jumping to conclusions but I guess not, it's all about the sigh and the zomg now.

The article you mention says that "some of those titles, like Pikmin 3" are 60fps, not that just that one is.

I'm not sure who you're referring to about jumping to conclusions, I thought that's what the article WAS saying - that only Pikmin 3 was the 60fps of the bunch. If not, then great! I'm not particularly interested in NSMB Wii U anyway, so it's not a game I'd bother getting huffy about. Plus, I don't know what else you think people have 'jumped to conclusions' over. Seems people were exactly right to be pessimistic about what we were going to see, for everyone on E3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not even NSMBU will run at 1080p? Why? Surely the console could manage it? There are far, far more graphically demanding PS3 games which do output at 1080p. Seems weird that they would arbitrarily limit a visually simple game to 720p for no good reason.

EDIT: Same goes for NintendoLand.

Yeah this.

Saying it's somewhat comparable to systems that are more than six years old isn't really saying a whole lot about what the system should be capable of doing. I think Nintendo is underestimating what people are looking out of this thing on a graphical level. They are expecting next gen, not something that's barely a step above the last gen. You really don't want people thinking of your system as Dreamcast 2.0

Yeah, they're doing what they did with the Wii. And we all know that didn't work out.

Azure J

WOW I was expecting Mario to run at 1080p/60fps at the very least.

This, but honestly, this doesn't surprise me. Nintendo cutting their teeth on HD development is going to be a very interesting process to behold. That and of course Pikmin 3 started as a Wii game so....

Jinko

Hmm a 2D game should have no problem running at 1080p really :(

Out of curiosity what are the leaked specs ?

Zenaku

Isn't the Wii U either 1080p with no AA, or 720p with MSAA? They probably felt the anti-aliasing was worth using 720p.

Maybe it's because specs weren't finalized so they just made sure the games would run smoothly at 720p instead of them maybe not running smoothly at 1080p.

Judging hardware power on launch games is silly. Has been for every console, and will continue to be the case forever.

most disturbing is the fact that the rep did not have a clue about upscaling. If the hardware does not upscale 720p -> 1080p in the output chip, it will leave the TV to do the (bad) job.

--- interested.

Smokey

Anybody expecting otherwise were expecting WAY too much out of Nintendo. It's cool that their games are finally in HD though, but 720p is pretty bad for "next-gen" hardware.

It needs to at least have the scaling ability for higher resolutions ala Xbox 360. If not then this is gonna blow...hard.

Thankfully I don't game on a 60" screen from 18" away like most gaffers. Seriously though, this sounds fairly predictable. As long as 720p ends up being an across the board standard and sub-HD games don't start popping up left and right I'm alright with this, particularly in games that are streaming playable content to the tablet. But hey, I still game on a CRT.

XDDX

I am sure they are all running at 60FPS. They only reason why they are saying that Pikmin is at 60FPS is because that's the one game you would expect to be running at 30FPS as it looks to be the most intensive.

TUROK

There are very very few games on the 360 and PS3 that run at 60 frames per second at 1280x720 res, so this is a step up from current consoles.

most disturbing is the fact that the rep did not have a clue about upscaling. If the hardware does not upscale 720p -> 1080p in the output chip, it will leave the TV to do the (bad) job.

--- interested.

Lol, you're extremely unlikely to beable to tell the difference between TV upscaling and upscaling on your console, it won't make any difference whether the WiiU or TV upscale the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah this.

Saying it's somewhat comparable to systems that are more than six years old isn't really saying a whole lot about what the system should be capable of doing. I think Nintendo is underestimating what people are looking out of this thing on a graphical level. They are expecting next gen, not something that's barely a step above the last gen. You really don't want people thinking of your system as Dreamcast 2.0
I am pretty sure that the people buying Just Dance, WiiFit, and 99% of the people who buy Mario won't give a shit about rendering at 1080p.

And, I bet you the fact that Wii U is underpowered compared to PS4 and Xbox 720 won't even be known outside of enthusiast circles.

Look how many people out there didnt care that the first Wii was SD, or have their Blu-ray players or cable boxes hooked up with composite cables, or have 4:3 content stretched because it fills their screen.

So many people don't give a shit about picture quality and Nintendo will sell just fine if the tablet hook is successful.

Hell, I have a 55 inch plasma and I don't think 1080p content is important. 720p really is good enough for most of the world.

All the Nintendo games shown so far do not have any anti aliasing.

Not sure. Lego and batman looked bad, but Pikmin and mario looked kinda clean. Not clean enough though..

Anyway, Ideaman said that anti aliassing WILL be used but that the games demood on E3 maybe do not have all the bells and whistles yet that will be in the final game.

Hmm a 2D game should have no problem running at 1080p really :(

Out of curiosity what are the leaked specs ?

well yes, Mario should be running at 1080p and 60fps.

I think it has more to do with the controller than the system itself.

If the gimmick you're building your console around hinders more important factors like video quality, it's time to rethink the gimmick (or realize you dont need gimmicks to sell games. You're Nintendo. Your games sell themselves.)

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Not sure. Lego and batman looked bad, but Pikmin and mario looked kinda clean. Not clean enough though..

Anyway, Ideaman said that anti aliassing WILL be used but that the games demood on E3 maybe do not have all the bells and whistles yet that will be in the final game.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1647363#post1647363

Pikmin3, Lego city, New SMBU, WiiFitU, Game&Wario, Nintendo land, Avengers, Tank Tank!, Project P-100
all are 720p no AA

Nibel

Hmm.. I thought Pikmin 3 and Mario 2D looked pretty good. But 1080p would have been really awesome..

Speevy

Banned
This is gonna be disastrous the first time someone points out a sub-HD game on the WiiU.

Welcome to next-gen, Nintendo.

Didn't someone at Nintendo say that rending images on the gamepad screen is optional? I'm pretty confident I remember hearing that.

I remember a group of members saying that even if the graphics were only 360 levels, they would totes be 1080p, 60fps, 8xAA.

I think most of those members were banned after various passive-aggressive statements in every thread though.

Disappointing, but I'm not really expecting any better from the other two consoles, either.

Top Bottom