• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

Maybe because they genuinely feel it is one.

I could shit on a piece of paper and hand it to them and call it an "artistic statement". It's bullshit to hide behind that excuse, they are developing a product for sale, and as such should keep their consumers in mind.

DTKT

It was a jump off point to start fresh in the mass effect universe. The writer obviously made the call. Who ever said the game was rushed?

A lot of unused stuff on the disk? The ending is the part that really suffered. You were supposed to see a scene with Joker and the Normandy, Krogan charging and Geth platforms falling from space.

Trigger

Eh. I think there's room for the "artistic statement" argument with games in general, but Bioware has a long track record of doing whatever pleases its fans. The "art" response seems more like a poor attempt to avoid a real discussion on the game's content.

malfcn

I didn't see the clips from interviews earlier, but it is gold seeing the:

"We have an ending with a myriad of differences to reflect decisions players have made"
"There is absolutely NO way we will have one ending to wrap up the game"

And guess what..

This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

inky

Jessica Chobot being in the game makes it pretty clear that the game is devoid of any artistic statement, unless said artistic statement is about making it obvious how the gaming press is just the extended PR arm of videogame companies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just give me a FPS set in the First Contact war.

Please? Forget this ending ever happened.

If they do a First Contact War game, i fully expect Turians to be the bad guys while the humans are the heroes.

The best thing they could do is making us play both sides though. I wanna play as Saren.

Jessica Chobot being in the game makes it pretty clear that the game is devoid of any artistic statement, unless said artistic statement is about making it obvious how the gaming press is just the extended PR arm of videogame companies.

One of the dumbest things I've read here, and that's saying a ton. Seriously, IF you choose to talk to her, she asks if she can join your crew. You say no, she's gone and NEVER RETURNS.

THIS is exactly the kind of entitled, petty nitpicking that makes Bioware and other companies want to ignore all gamer complaints and thus miss out on the genuine constructive criticism. Ugh ...

Why is she in the game as a reporter instead of reusing a character like Emily Wong?

There's nothing entitled, petty or nitpicky of not wanting some one from the press to be in the game to the extent she's in.

I mean they go all out trying to model her, but for Tali all they can muster is a photoshop.

gatti-man

A lot of unused stuff on the disk? The ending is the part that really suffered. You were supposed to see a scene with Joker and the Normandy, Krogan charging and Geth platforms falling from space.

But that is assumed. The ending shows the reapers leaving/fleeing and obvious destruction to existing ships via the normandy. So its assumed and implied that there is widespread destruction to anything in space. The only thing really missing is earth consequences since most races were there. Even then you would just assume they would start over.

Dany

Banned
If they do a First Contact War game, i fully expect Turians to be the bad guys while the humans are the heroes.

The best thing they could do is making us play both sides though. I wanna play as Saren.

Saren and Anderson. They should totally do it.

AB12

One of the dumbest things I've read here, and that's saying a ton. Seriously, IF you choose to talk to her, she asks if she can join your crew. You say no, she's gone and NEVER RETURNS.

THIS is exactly the kind of entitled, petty nitpicking that makes Bioware and other companies want to ignore all gamer complaints and thus miss out on the genuine constructive criticism. Ugh ...

Good one, you know when you have limited budget, there were more important things to focus on. If they wanted a reporter for ME 3, there are well established characters they could have used.

Having a rushed ending, using Google images, and photoshopped character is what fans wanted.

bengraven

So I haven't read all the thread, excuse me if this has been answered, but:

How far back do we start playing again? Or does this just continue from the end credits? I dont' want to miss any new stuff. Do you have to replay the entire game?

Edit: oh, it's in the FAQ. Shit, I hope I have a save from there.

DTKT

But that is assumed. The ending shows the reapers leaving/fleeing and obvious destruction to existing ships via the normandy. So its assumed and implied that there is widespread destruction to anything in space. The only thing really missing is earth consequences since most races were there. Even then you would just assume they would start over.

You misunderstand me. The sequences I mentioned were not supposed to happen after defeating the Reapers. The original ending plan was having Shepard see all the races/war assets in action during the "taking back Earth" part. That's what I mean by charging Krogans and Geth platforms falling from the sky.

It was supposed to be the climactic moment where the player would see all he worked for. Instead, we get a straight corridor with a turret sequence and the same mobs we've been fighting for the past 20 hours.

Why is she in the game as a reporter instead of reusing a character like Emily Wong?

There's nothing entitled, petty or nitpicky of not wanting some one from the press to be in the game to the extent she's in.

I mean they go all out trying to model her, but for Tali all they can muster is a photoshop.

Entitlement: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges.

Petty: having little or no importance or significance.

Nit-picking: minute and usually unjustified criticism.

So you're telling me that freaking out about a beyond minor character in the game that is completely avoidable and demanding that she not be in it DOES NOT fit those definitions? Are you seriously going there?

Trigger

lol, legitimate criticisms are "entitled" now? Chobot's insertion isn't earth shattering, but it's a clearly a display of Bioware's lack of priorities.

So I haven't read all the thread, excuse me if this has been answered, but:

How far back do we start playing again? Or does this just continue from the end credits? I dont' want to miss any new stuff. Do you have to replay the entire game?

Edit: oh, it's in the FAQ. Shit, I hope I have a save from there.

IIRC, after you beat the game and sit through everything, it starts you back at this very point.

gatti-man

You misunderstand me. The sequences I mentioned were not supposed to happen after defeating the Reapers. The original ending plan was having Shepard see all the races/war assets in action during the "taking back Earth" part. That's what I mean by charging Krogans and Geth platforms falling from the sky.

It was supposed to be the climactic moment where the player would see all he worked for. Instead, we get a straight corridor with a turret sequence and the same mobs we've been fighting for the past 20 hours.

Oh man that would have been sweet. What a shame.

inky

If I don't chose to talk to her in the game that doesn't mean she is still not there, modeled, voiced, animated, and put into the story in a certain context inside the product itself. If I personally choose to talk to her or not is irrelevant, especially when considering the topic at hand i.e. the supposed artistic merit of the game and its intentions, and the fact that people are discussing how were their resources used to bring about the culmination of their "artistic vision".
But I like your approach, just close your eyes and pretend everything is alright.

Keep trying tho, I'm sure Bioware is listening especially to you and are very proud about you cheerleading their marketing decisions. That's what you mean by constructive criticism right?

Edit: I also love how you imply I am demanding she not be there, like I am actually starting petitions and shit due to all my entitlement, LOL. Darth Strawman more like it.

DTKT

So you're telling me that freaking out about a beyond minor character in the game that is completely avoidable and demanding that she not be in it DOES NOT fit those definitions? Are you seriously going there?

I doubt that there is anything minor about introducing a new character, who is fully voice-acted, with it's own scenes and rigs.

Jessica Chobot was introduced at the cost of another character. There is no doubt about that.

Tuck

Playing through ME3 right now, so this will be out by the time I get to the end in 3 weeks. Great. The ending was weird. The indoctrination theory makes it less weird, and actually pretty cool (Though still flawed), but I'm not sure if that theory is actually what they intended.

bengraven

IIRC, after you beat the game and sit through everything, it starts you back at this very point.

Oh okay, cool, so my EMS should have stayed the same too, if not increased.

I'm actually looking forward to this. I loved the series, especially the little loved by GAF ME2 which is one of my favorite games of all time. I loved the first 3/4 of ME3...but man...

Trigger

Your EMS should have decresed if you haven't played multiplayer, no?

Playing through ME3 right now, so this will be out by the time I get to the end in 3 weeks. Great. The ending was weird. The indoctrination theory makes it less weird, and actually pretty cool (Though still flawed), but I'm not sure if that theory is actually what they intended.

It's not what they intended at all. How many game companies have a fandom that is so deluded dedicated that they'd come up with an elaborate theory to explain away bad writing?

Who is freaking out? It doesn't matter that she is completely avoidable. The fact is they devoted resources to model, voice and give her plenty of lines in the game while other instances of the game's presentation are completely lacking in the same care. And for what reason? Because she's a big fan of Mass Effect and Bioware likes her? Give me a break.

rdrr gnr

One of the dumbest things I've read here, and that's saying a ton.

Chobot's inclusion was a symptom of what is wrong with Bioware and the development of Mass Effect 3.

DanielJr82

EXACTLY! It's fucking bullshit, man. I was pissed the moment she was announced in that stupid VA trailer before the game was out. It seriously yanked me out of the immersion. Was Emily Wong even in the game? I don't think I saw her.

EXACTLY! It's fucking bullshit, man. I was pissed the moment she was announced in that stupid VA trailer before the game was out. It seriously yanked me out of the immersion. Was Emily Wong even in the game? I don't think I saw her.

Nope, she was killed on twitter the night before ME3 came out. I'm completely serious.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
She had a Twitter account, and by that I mean that it was some kind of weird BioWare PR decision, in which she reported about the invasion or something, and she died during a report. I guess.

It is still astonishing to me that they made a ending so bad that they had to basically patch it at the end of development. I have trouble believing how that passed all company feedback and opinion.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No it really wasn't. Not even a little bit. Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game with a shitty ending. The whole thing through was amazing.
Besides the ending, it wasn't all rainbows and butterflies.

• Face import "bug" (more like removed feature) that's not even fixed 100% yet
  • Tali's face was a joke
  • Kai Leng was handled poorly
  • The Reapers' story was handled awkwardly/poorly
  • Prothean removed and made into a DLC Character

These are just a few things that have made ME3 notorious.

rdrr gnr

No it really wasn't. Not even a little bit. Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game with a shitty ending. The whole thing through was amazing.
No it really wasn't. Not even a little bit. Mass Effect 3 was a terrible game with a terrible ending. There are a few memorable moments, more than previous iterations, but the complete package had it falling short of being an "amazing game."

She had a Twitter account, and by that I mean that it was some kind of weird BioWare PR decision, in which she reported about the invasion or something, and she died during a report. I guess.

*sigh* That's modern day BioWare for you. Kill off a character that was sort of cool in 2 preceding games on twitter so you can shoehorn in a creepy sexed up version of a video games "journalist" to take her spot.

sP9Td.gif

DR2K

Banned

• Tali's face was a joke
  • The story itself was handled awkwardly

Neither of which ruined ME3 made it a bad game or trounce its redeeming qualities.

Replicant

So I have a New Game+ save which I haven't completed. I think I stopped playing after
Kaidan's release from the hospital
. If I continue, will I get the new expanded ending or is it better if I just start from the beginning?

rdrr gnr

• Tali's face was a joke
  • The Reapers' story was handled awkwardly/poorly

• N7 Missions
  • Citadel "fetch" quests

Top Bottom