• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time (DS, 3DS) will be like Zelda 2

According to WayForward, the Adventure Time 3DS/DS project will contain adventure gameplay. The studio considered making it a puzzle-platformer or brawler, but thought that it wouldn’t be true to the show’s title.

WayForward designer Matt Bozon said the team “decided that something like Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link was the common ground”. He added:

“Because of this our top-view areas focus on quests and exploration, and the side view combines combat with platforming.”

From Nintendo Everything

---
Yet another thing from that WayForward interview featured today:

http://www.nintendojo.com/features/interviews/e3-2012-interview-with-wayforward

ND: Was [a top-down game development approach] the case with the Adventure Time video game?

Voldi: That one was actually very collaborative with [Adventure Time creator] Pendleton Ward because he had been tweeting about game designs forever, you know, like, “Oh I want it to be Zelda meets, you know, whatever,” so that one was very collaborative. And he actually has really good gameplay sensibilities too, you know, but he and Matt Bozon would just go on these sprees where they would just kind of work out what was happening. So yeah, that one’s been pretty fun. I wouldn’t say that one was as bottom-up. That one, he had come up with a story, like the garbage stealing thing, and he probably drew it on a napkin. I don’t know actually. He’s so funny because almost any email he sends there’s a picture attached, like some little sketch of, you know, Finn doing a thumbs up or something.

In other words, instead of WayForward's typical work-for-hire games where they have a story, a setting, etc. and design a game around it, here they design the game first, then added the story. Plus, it's being worked closely with the Adventure Time creator himself, who seems cool, I guess. lol.

Legal scans!
wtgKq.jpg

Way Forward is on a roll today.

Edit: Here are the screenshots from Nintendo Everything.

adventure_time-2.jpg

adventure_time-3.jpg

jonno394

I've really gotten in to the Adventure Time show of late, my V+ box is set to record each and every instance of it. I can dig this style.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
What a swell-looking article! I can't wait to read the whole thing when I buy my issue of Nintendo Power! I think we should all buy a copy!

Boney

Banned
At least Wayforward is better than DreamRift

so if we're gonna have someone make a boring game I rather be them

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I really want a Regular Show game, but I have no idea what it'd be about.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
This keeps sounding better and better. I'm pretty sure it won't be as hellishly difficult as Zelda 2, but that's a plus in my eyes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sounds conceptually sweet and looks great too, hopefully it delivers. I really want a good Adventure Time game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!
We were about to pitch an Adventure Time RPG to Cartoon Network

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In 3D those screens should be...BRING IT IN EUROPE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, FU*K.

And yeah, those are 3DS shots, look at the screen size.

Sounds cool, I'll have to keep my eye on it. I generally like WayForward, but it seems like the quality of their output varies widely. To be fair though, even at their worst they still churn out infinitely better licensed games than most developers. Hell, I've considered buying some of their stuff I have barely any interest in just to admire the sprite work.

I'm so confused, so is this a DS title AND a 3DS title, as in, two separate versions? Or by "DS/3DS," do they mean that it's a DS title that (obviously) can be played on the 3DS?

Sounds pretty cool, though, at any rate.

Peff

In 3D those screens should be...BRING IT IN EUROPE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, FU*K.

*sigh* I had forgotten about this... Is it even announced yet? The show is broadcast on several European countries, but I don't think it's "big" on any of them.

*sigh* I had forgotten about this... Is it even announced yet? The show is broadcast on several European countries, but I don't think it's "big" on any of them.

I hate when that happens. The future of gaming should be region free so everyone can get in on the fun! Not sure if DS/3DS are region free or not.

I like to think it does well in the UK, I need to believe as such so that there is a market for the game here.

This...this is amazing. That is, it has the potential to be amazing. Please, please be amazing.

Game looks and sounds amazing!

Some kind of bizarre retro game challenge clone is the first thing that springs to mind

Double Dragon-style beat-'em-up.

jonno394

Well it's on like 2 or 3 times a day on Cartoon Network, so I'd like to think there's a fanbase for it.

Top Bottom