• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been feeling like my 40gig '08 model is reaching its last legs, but I guess now's not a very good time to buy a new one. Hopefully it can keep kicking for a couple more months.

Goody

Awesome. I've been needing to replace my 40gb model since it took a nose dive from the top of my entertainment center. It still works, it just sounds like a jet engine and the power button doesn't work since the case is all banged up.

Also, I will totally get some faux wood grain put on this thing.

IrishNinja

No, Rya ga Gotoku 3. There's a lot of good LE PS3s out there but in terms of the best, it's no contest!

951859-ryups3.jpg

I know a lot of people disagree, but fats looked great as they were, better than the Slim ever did.

HNNNNGGGGH from time to time i check ebay just to see if a dead one shows up for cheap, id so swap the case if i had half a chance

DasRaven

Another model? Eh, now I don't know whether to get a PS3 now or wait.

Wait for the inevitable clearance sales on the current slim and buy then.

If the new box looks like this (bad IMO) and doesn't add signficant functional benefits, that's what I'll be doing.

PandaL

Another model? Eh, now I don't know whether to get a PS3 now or wait.

Wait for the inevitable clearance sales on the current slim and buy then.

If the new box looks like this (bad IMO) and doesn't add signficant functional benefits, that's what I'll be doing.

PS3 slim uses 45nm CPU process & 40nm CPU process. The super slim is supposed to be using 22nm CPU process & 28nm CPU process. So the super slim will be more efficient and emit less heat than the current slim models.

I believe that in the long run super slim will prove to be more reliable than the slim.

Airgetlam

When are they going to officially announce this? Is there gaming event coming up soon? I can only think of TGS off the top of my head.

Angry Fork

PS3 always looked ugly imo, I don't know why people liked the fat design, the slim looks alright but this gen has been pretty boring in terms of console designs. Wii is the best one if only because of how small and elegant it looked (but all the jumbled wired sensor bullshit ruined that).

Fat design had that stupid curve (who likes curved objects for no reason? Flat is always better). The Spiderman font is terrible, it's difficult to use the USB slots because they're under a ridge thing so you have to lift the console up or look under it or feel the slot with your fingers, there isn't any symmetric quality to it the way there is with almost every other console. It's just a cumbersome stupid looking design.

PS3 always looked ugly imo, I don't know why people liked the fat design, the slim looks alright but this gen has been pretty boring in terms of console designs. Wii is the best one if only because of how small and elegant it looked (but all the jumbled wired sensor bullshit ruined that).

Fat design had that stupid curve (who likes curved objects for no reason? Flat is always better). The Spiderman font is terrible, it's difficult to use the USB slots because they're under a ridge thing so you have to lift the console up or look under it or feel the slot with your fingers, there isn't any symmetric quality to it the way there is with almost every other console. It's just a cumbersome stupid looking design.

That's the only time I've ever heard that the USB slots are hard to use.

malfcn

The one thing I did not understand with the PS3 is why they did not allow for custom covers. The fat PS3 had a nicely and easily removable top cover. They should have made it easier to interchange and sold game themed ones or at least allow third party ones.

Didn't work out so well for Xbox. :(

Seance

Banned
Why do people think the OG ps3 looks good? It's horribly shaped and large. The front profile is gag-inducingly ugly. PSOne and ps2slim are the only attractive sony consoles.

PS3 slim uses 45nm CPU process & 40nm CPU process. The super slim is supposed to be using 22nm CPU process & 28nm CPU process. So the super slim will be more efficient and emit less heat than the current slim models.

I believe that in the long run super slim will prove to be more reliable than the slim.

Bollocks, I haven't seen Sony or any of their fab partners invest billions in 22nm. The best we can hope for is a combined 32nm chip from Toshiba and IBM with high-K for reduced leakage.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why do people think the OG ps3 looks good? It's horribly shaped and large. The front profile is gag-inducingly ugly. PSOne and ps2slim are the only attractive sony consoles.
It looks good when vertical, and it looks expensive. While I think ps2slim was fine looking, the top loading drive screamed cheap, and I far prefer the iconoclastic, and now timeless look of OG PS2 (vertical, no stand).

In terms of actual hardware quality and not just looks, I think Vita is their best design so far overall though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm wondering if they are going to push out a new Firmware with these models, I know we've had some changes already, but while the XMB is alright for new comers it isn't that friendly with data management for the less tech enthused and data installs could become a problem for those with the 16gb PS3 err, slim slim, lol, rather quickly.

It seems like 179,229,269 are the magic numbers :p
Man it took me forever to associate that with price.

Interesting huh.

Took me till reading till your comment Massa to see he was listing the price points, lol.

Not bad prices, Sony should put out a HDD upgrade too at a not ridiculous price for those that want to upgrade, or I would hope they have made it at least as easy as it is for the 360.

Really nice pricepoints if true. Sony should bundle All-Stars and LBPK into the 179 systems.

They would be too new I imagine for that to happen, now something family friendly like LBP2 I would have suggested, would not only introduce them to Sackboy and the LBP games but because LBPK is out soon which could be a possible purchase.

In what currency...

Also those are "awful" in terms of psychological pricing.

The usual 3 main currencies are $, € and £.
So US dollars/Euros I imagine, seeing as Euros are apparently "equal" these days. And it isn't going to pounds sterling because out prices are already there about.

Elaborating on above, assuming veracity to the claim... $230 is too close to $250 for consumers to really give a crap and while $270 is a nice drop for the "high end" 500GB model (vs the $350 320GB).

So the question is will a $70 "price drop" with the HDD-less $180 16GB model drive significant sales over the current $160GB $250 model?

EDIT: Oh the 320 GB is $300. Well that's not much of a price drop either.

Massa

Elaborating on above, assuming veracity to the claim... $230 is too close to $250 for consumers to really give a crap and while $270 is a nice drop for the "high end" 500GB model (vs the $350 320GB).

So the question is will a $70 "price drop" with the HDD-less $180 16GB model drive significant sales over the current $160GB $250 model?

No doubt. Going below 199 will give them quite a boost.

Elios83

The key point is opening to a new market, all those casuals users who don't care about a big hard drive to keep huge collections on it, they just want to able to play a few key games every year at the cheapest price possible. There are people who buy these consoles just to play COD and FIFA every year...just to get straight to the point.
In this sense it's a direct competitor to the Xbox360 4GB, something which Sony has lacked so far.
The models equipped with a hard drive get a capacity upgrade, a new smaller and power efficient form factor and a small price drop (20-30$, the 320GB model costs 299$ unbundled) while the new cheap model will drives most of the sales growth to a new audience, seems a pretty good and sound strategy to me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If they were smart they'd highlight the free online in addition to the new low price. They're not, though.

The key point is opening to a new market, all those casuals users who don't care about a big hard drive to keep huge collections on it, they just want to able to play a few key games every year at the cheapest price possible. There are people who buy these consoles just to play COD and FIFA every year...just to get straight to the point.
In this sense it's a direct competitor to the Xbox360 4GB, something which Sony has lacked so far.
The models equipped with a hard drive get a capacity upgrade, a new smaller and power efficient form factor and a small price drop (20-30$, the 320GB model costs 299$ unbundled) while the new cheap model will drives most of the sales growth to a new audience, seems a pretty good and sound strategy to me.

I guess it makes sense when you put it that way.

(I still find them strange as price points though.)

At the same time, since I don't imagine the $20 price drops on the HDD models will really do anything much to spur sales and the plan seems to be to simply drive growth with the "tard pack" PS3 model (as I've seen the 4GB affectionately referred to) it would have made more sense to keep them at the current prices and increase margins due to cost reduction.

TheNatural

My Member!
It seems like 179,229,269 are the magic numbers :p

Great move, its about time one of PS3/360 went below $200. I'm sure retailers will have their own gift card incentives as well.

Any idea of the timeframe of release date? Guessing holiday, around November.

Nemesis_

My launch model PS3 just died recently (RIP) so I might look into grabbing one of these.

Waiting or some better quality pictures before I judge though ;_;

i-Lo

Don't know if it has been posted in the last 26 pages but does anyone know how much does it cost Sony to make the existing slim model?

Top Bottom