• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmmkay

[/MOD POWER ABUSE]
1UP said:
UPDATE: Looks like we can put the issue to rest. Microsoft has, once again, officially denied they will be releasing games on the upcoming HD-DVD format, confirming the add-on will be movie-exclusive. The statement released from the company this afternoon makes that pretty clear, and they don't appear to be leaving room to budge:

We're seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.

Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we've been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD.

At this point, we haven't seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disc manufacturing, and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience. We are focused on making great HD games available to consumers now, and games like "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" clearly show that beautiful high def graphics and huge, immersive worlds to explore are possible on the DVD9 format. -- Microsoft spokesperson
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152888
[/MOD POWER ABUSE]

Yeah, I blinked too...

Microsoft hasn’t determined whether to do Xbox 360 games in blue-laser HD DVD, but has ruled it out for “this holiday” when it ships its HD DVD drive for movie playback through the Xbox 360, said Dave Luehmann, gen. mgr.- Microsoft Game Studios. “Speed of loading” is Microsoft’s big concern about HD DVD games on the Xbox 360, Luehmann said. Xbox 360 games on red-laser DVD9 can run at 12X speeds at data transfer rates that aren’t a problem, but the same can’t necessarily be said of HD DVD game content, and Microsoft wants to be confident of pleasing users, he said. He wasn’t more specific about delivery timing of the HD DVD drive. Microsoft hasn’t released pricing on the drive, but “will do so shortly,” he said. He vowed it would be offered at a “great and affordable” price, repeating statements of other Microsoft executives that the drive would be the “cheapest” HD DVD player available.
This is from a subscription only publication so sadly I cannot provide a link to the source. If a mod wants, I can PM them sufficient evidence to demonstrate the authenticity of the information, but you're just going to have to take my word for it at the moment.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
240pxsega32xxi7.jpg

LakeEarth

Its a peripheral. I don't see any developer limiting themselves to a small percentage of the userbase. Especially since the only reason you'd go to HD-DVD is if your game is massive.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mrbob

It's gonna happen. This is inevitable. Halo 3 on HD DVD.

I am personally for this, and hope MS makes this happen, as it'll make the HD DVD purchase more enticing. I foresee two versions being released of games for 360. One version on multiple DVDS and another on HD DVD.

sangreal

The only way I can support this is if HD-DVD games are available in multi-disc DVD format. I don't have an HDTV and before I do I will not buy an HD-DVD drive.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Halo 3 HD-DVD Collectors Edition FTW!

There is a way this can work. All games seem to have a fairly big chunk of FMV. The HD-DVD version would be the same version of the game, but it would include FMV at HD resolutions. The other possibility would be stuff like DVD extras, like a making of video. HD should not be used to include more or bigger textures or sections of gameplay. Of course the HD-DVD version of games would end up being $70 a pop.

Piper Az

xsarien said:
Oh man. Do it, Microsoft, do it. Seeing the system go down will be spectacular to watch.

Hey it's Peter Moore. I'm sure he learned a trick or two when he was at SEGA - "Add-ons to divide the user-base, bitches! I'm gonna make it work this time!"

Mrbob said:
I foresee two versions being released of games for 360. One version on multiple DVDS and another on HD DVD.
I thought of this, but seems like a total waste for a publisher to decide how many to print of each type, making different boxes, etc.., doesn't seem worth it but who knows PC games still often come in CD and DVD forms.

that would be insanely stupid, so I doubt it will happen.

Then again, I said that about the
$500-$600 PS3
at one point, so who knows.

ourumov

Hmmm...well, unless they give the addon with a top-seller game/system I don't see this being a good idea...
It's not that it helped the 64 to split up the userbase between Expansion Pack Users and Non-Expansion pack ones.

Crisis

Banned
Completely unacceptable if true. If they pull this shit, Xbox 360 has NO advantage whatsoever over PS3. PS3 has the advantage of being able to say that all of their games come on a next-generation disc format, while that move would confuse owners of the 360 very badly. It's a fool's maneuver.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
wtf.jpg

wtf

With this plus consumerBALLs, its a good day for barely substanciated xbox gossip.

In before page 2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They won't. They only way this will be even remotely viable is if the X360 : HD-DVD addon ratio approaches 1:1.

It'd be like the Genny/Sega-CD/32X nonsense all over again.

jett

D-Member
That'd be some funny shit if HD-DVD games were actually released on the 360.

Too Human Trilogy HD-DVD edition for 2009.

pilonv1

Microsoft hasn’t determined whether to do Xbox 360 games in blue-laser HD DVD, but has ruled it out for “this holiday” when it ships its HD DVD drive for movie playback through the Xbox 360, said Dave Luehmann, gen. mgr.- Microsoft Game Studios

I'd like to see a full quote, because "this holiday" could be about anything. That paragraph seems to have some very selective quoting, I'd much rather read an un-edited version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
monkeymagic said:
Gimped DVD version of Halo 3

Full HD-DVD version of Halo 3

It's all about choice :D

They wanted to put Halo 2 on an HD-DVD, but they couldn't fit it. So they just ended it.

am irite!!

Mrbob

The spinning by MS execs will be a momentous occassion though if this is true, after all the chest thumping they have done to say that a next gen media format is not needed for 360 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom