• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just noticed you're a member now so congrats
Thanks!

Those are some rather harsh words for the game. I'd love to see someone from SuperBot play the game. From what I've seen, many moves are designed for very particular purposes. New players are really just using whatever moves they can to land hits, but I'm sure that SuperBot developed each move with another in mind. These seem to be very specialized moves with specific uses.

prwxv3

I like Shane but when I brought up the point that there were so many defenders for the game I facepalmed. Well if criticisms of the game include calling any one who like the game a fanboy and that the game is shovelware quality then of course there are going to be defenders.

Prevailer

final-fantasy-vii-620x250.jpg

Okay lets see, what about these rumors of Cloud being in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?

via: http://jpgames.de/2012/08/gerucht-cloud-in-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

There are two interesting german previews based on a closed-door Gamescom 2012 demo. One oft them clearly mentions Cloud as a playable character and the second preview mentions a Final Fantasy Character to be revealed soon.

ingame.de quote:

[...] Dabei stehen euch anstelle von Mario, Link oder Kirby jedoch bekannte Charaktere aus dem Playstation-Universum zur Auswahl. Neben kampferprobten Helden wie Dante, Kratos oder Cloud, werden auch weniger martialische Naturen wie etwa Sackboy mit von der Partie sein. [...]

Roughly translated:

[...] Instead of Mario, Link or Kirby you have familiar characters from the Playstation universe to choose from. Apart from battle-hardened heroes like Dante, Kratos, or Cloud, less martial natures are like Sackboy to be in on it.[...]

In the comments, the author admits that this was just a slip of the pen. He means Cole from InFamous instead of Cloud. But "Sony said at gamescom 2012, that they will reveal a Final Fantasy character soon".

This fits with a second german preview on the game. Gamesaktuell.de wrotes:

[...]Helden Ratchet, Spike, Dante und Sackboy zur Verfügung standen. In Kürze soll darüber hinaus noch ein Final Fantasy-Charakter hinzukommen.

Roughly translated:

[...]heroes Ratchet, Spike, Dante and Sackboy were selectable. In addition there will be a Final Fantasy character added soon.

I know some guys who swears that this second site also wrotes "Cloud" before, but edited the text to this which is quoted above. But there is no proof on that. So we have to wait. Maybe SE will reveal something on August 31. There is a Final Fantasy VII Anniversary stage, too.

Will they show new characters at PAX?

Sony Santa Monica tweeted:
#Gamescom may be now, but two weeks from today is #PAX. we will be there with #GodofWar Ascension and Playstation All-Stars, will you?!
@sonysantamonica New PSABR characters at PAX?
@HelloItsLuis We can't confirm that but we're fairly confident @SuperBotEnt has some grand master plans
I hope we get the rest of the leaked roster ''outta the way''. I'm also interested to see how Dan and Raiden looks.

Okay lets see, what about these rumors of Cloud being in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?

via: http://jpgames.de/2012/08/gerucht-cloud-in-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

There are two interesting german previews based on a closed-door Gamescom 2012 demo. One oft them clearly mentions Cloud as a playable character and the second preview mentions a Final Fantasy Character to be revealed soon.

ingame.de quote:

Roughly translated:

In the comments, the author admits that this was just a slip of the pen. He means Cole from InFamous instead of Cloud. But "Sony said at gamescom 2012, that they will reveal a Final Fantasy character soon".

This fits with a second german preview on the game. Gamesaktuell.de wrotes:

Roughly translated:

I know some guys who swears that this second site also wrotes "Cloud" before, but edited the text to this which is quoted above. But there is no proof on that. So we have to wait. Maybe SE will reveal something on August 31. There is a Final Fantasy VII Anniversary stage, too.

Well, that's a relief -- sounds like it's pretty much 100% sure that we're getting a Final Fantasy character, and chances are it won't be Cloud. Or, at least, there's a chance it won't be Cloud. But if that thing about the FF VII anniversary stage is true, then it probably will be him. :/ Either way, I really hope we get this reveal at PAX...

KevinCow

Banned
I just wish we'd see some one on one gameplay from testers, or the pros at SuperBot.

A great thing they could do to hype the game up is just record a bunch of 1v1 stock matches showcasing all the characters and stages, and then start uploading one or two to their Youtube channel every week.

Spinluck

A great thing they could do to hype the game up is just record a bunch of 1v1 stock matches showcasing all the characters and stages, and then start uploading one or two to their Youtube channel every week.

If only.

They should've already shown us a little bit of stock match footage -___- .

shink

Hopefully next time they'll reveal/show some of the other modes and a bit of story mode. Really curious to see how they are handling it.

SSReborn

Their youtube channel irritates me because it just sits there with 2 videos -__-

Could've had so many videos up by now maybe even a combo video part 2, I'd take anything at this point...

If this is true, I'll be doing backflips. I know I've said it before but I just don't think Lighting as the representative from FF is right - for both the fans and the series as a whole. I understand people like her and or FF XIII as a whole, but overall that particular FF draws way too much hate/disagreeing versus VII which is almost unanimously praised and adored. Some people say it's overrated, but overall, most people can't fault it for being one of the best FF/RPG games of all time. Face it - the fan reaction to Lighting versus Cloud will (mostly) be like this:

Lightning: UGHHH WHYYYYYYYYYYY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME SQUEENIX?!
Cloud: WOOOOOOO YEAHHHHH TIME TO GO OMNISLASH ON SOME BITCHES!

I just can't see how Lightning being included will go over well, at all, lmao.

Also, just to play the devil's advocate to my previous long winded post about the soundtrack, compare this mellow but also amazing arranged mix of Bramble Blast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2D8OpcEey4

How can you not like this? It's just perfect for a fun, awesome brawl with friends. I think their first mistake with All-Stars was having only one guy doing the entire OST, with this type of game that's not the right way to do it (IMO) at all.

If this were a typical single player game, or say, game with a campaign and multiplayer, that'd be fine, but as Superbot themselves has said, this is a huge mashup and celebration of Playstation so.. naturally there should be oodles of music nostalgia in there.

Cloud is such a boring character. Even in Dissidia where he should be headlining, he has the personality of a 2x4. There was so much more to him in FFVII, but through all the pointless spinoff/sequels they've effectively watered down the character to a caricature, and he's a lot more nuanced than you can really portray in a pretty basic fighting game.

With the way third party characters have gone so far I would not get my hopes up for Cloud and honestly wouldn't miss him. Lightning's "tough girl" shtick would probably add a lot more to the roster than Cloud's sob-story would.

Cloud is such a boring character. Even in Dissidia where he should be headlining, he has the personality of a 2x4. There was so much more to him in FFVII, but through all the pointless spinoff/sequels they've effectively watered down the character to a caricature, and he's a lot more nuanced than you can really portray in a pretty basic fighting game.

With the way third party characters have gone so far I would not get my hopes up for Cloud and honestly wouldn't miss him. Lightning's "tough girl" shtick would probably add a lot more to the roster than Cloud's sob-story would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0pLoi1Tpfo

That's her level 3. Opponents give her a lousy present, she says "Worst. Birthday. Ever." and she kills everyone with Zantetsuken.

jondabomb

Would be great to have cloud in the game. I wouldn't mind lightning as dlc either. She would be a fun character to play as I just think cloud fits better as a playstation all star.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lightning or bust. Well, not really, but I sure hope it's her and not Cloud in PSASBR.

You know what I love? Singling out Radec with fat princess and making him dance with me in the air for about a minute straight. Lol.

I have become really good with her lately. Suddenly getting a level 3 isn't as challenging and I can usually land a level 1 one or two times as well in the same match. Her level 3 is actually worthwhile on the maps with a lot of elevation changes.

Verendus

Banned
Placed a pre-order for this for £30.39 with Sainbury's. Really good price I thought.

Will be there day one, even though I've not played it. Fact is, it's something I've wanted since I played SSBM on the Gamecube so I'm getting it one way or another. The good impressions so far are just faith building. I am hoping there are still a few more additions to the roster. I'd like around 24 characters.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I dont know if its some balancing they did with this update or what but suddenly Im having alot of fun with Kratos.

B.O.O.M

"The Beta was quite poor"
"Its a game so crappy only a fanboy can love it"
"Isn't it odd that they bring Seth Killian and he works there for a month then they delay the game?"

These are the quotes that particulary irked me. They talk about how the game needed balance and the stages are cool

http://a20.akadl.mtvnservices.com/1..._=1345280389_ef3e2e164fbcbbb8b64d5b8f8ef6b18f

13:30

-_-

Another example why shane and IW are both POS

Bombcast and EpicBattleCry ftw

Noi

The only two hard freezes I've ever had with my PS3 while on the XMB (and without a game running) are while installing the Beta client, and just now while installing the update to the beta, both if which requiring me to unplug my PS3 to turn it off. Hopefully SuperBot don't kill my PS3 by the time the game comes out...

Screw Cloud AND Lightning, Musashi is the SE rep we deserve.

Archon473

Just don't get your hopes up.
images

Image.ashx

This game is wonderful because I will get to play as characters whose original game I would never have played. I may not be into Sly or Infamous or new DMC or Final Fantasy (I'm hoping), but PSASBR will give me access to these very interesting characters in what I consider to be the perfect video game genre.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My favorite part is when the two other fighters hone in on my Kratos, while the PaRappa is off in the corner, spamming his boombox and getting AP, then does his level 3 and kills us all. :/

I'm sure the SuperBot testers are beastly with this game by now. I would also like to see some vids with them going at it. I'm liking the improvements to the beta from the patch, but I got my ass kicked last night, some of it because of the PaRappa above, some of it because I was playing it after coming home from the bar and I was a little buzzed. Lol

Personally, I don't give a shit about review scores, but I'm also one of those guys that doesn't think that a 70 is a bad score in the least. If the game is fun to me, that's all I really care about. Of course you want more people to enjoy something you enjoy, bit to be honest, I think gaming journalism is kind of worthless this generation outside of interviewing developers and revealing new game announcements. Reviews ceased being useful for me about 10 years ago, and I haven't looked back since.

I'd like people to enjoy PBR, but gaming publications will do what gaming publications do. I'm already prepared for the middling reviews that complain that PBR is a clone of Smash, but also isn't anything like Smash, which is bad.

Gorillaz

The more i play this the more I realize it will have some serious balancing issues once everyone is playable...I don't see this being something big at a competitive level due to some of the supers and mechanics.

Still I like it tho and will get it but competitive wise.....i don't see it doing too well.

The more i play this the more I realize it will have some serious balancing issues once everyone is playable...I don't see this being something big at a competitive level due to some of the supers and mechanics.

Still I like it tho and will get it but competitive wise.....i don't see it doing too well.

Not sure how you know that, but ok.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think the more competitive players will be inclined to stick with more technical characters, as well as utilizing level 1 and 2 supers over "easy kill" level 3s.

I imagine for them, it will be more fun for them that way. It is for me, and I'm not a serious competitive fighting game player. If I go for a level 3, it's pretty much just for the hell of it. That said, I've only used a level 3 once. I stick with 1 mostly, 2 rarely.

Spinluck

metaknight.jpg

snake.jpg

Balancing won't be the determining factor on whether or not the game will be able to be played competitively, it'll be the depth and structure of the game itself. The gameplay won't be as random and chaotic in 1v1 or 2v2, where there are less targets, and less people going after you. And like Smash, some characters will be better in 1v1, free4all, and 2v2 than others. I think we'll have to wait and see what else they'll announce. Perhaps they have a mode/option where only certain level supers are available or something of that nature. Or one where you can only choose 1 super before a match(I understand that putting a "super cap" on certain characters who have weak level 1's may cause some issues, but I'm just making the point that we don't know all that SB have in store).

I personally think that the game has enough depth to be play competitively, will it be at EVO? Lol, hell no(NO QUARTER CIRCLE INPUT? NOT COMPETITIVE!), but it will have a competitive following, and fans will probably host their own tourneys in the future. Whether it's online or in person. My friends have already pre-ordered the game, and love love love the beta. And we're all the hugest Smash-heads around, but instead of crying about 4-player brawlers not being a monopoly, we're embracing it. Hopefully more fans invite this game with open arms, instead of casting it off as a rip-off. Which by definition, it is not.

I think the more competitive players will be inclined to stick with more technical characters, as well as utilizing level 1 and 2 supers over "easy kill" level 3s.

I imagine for them, it will be more fun for them that way. It is for me, and I'm not a serious competitive fighting game player. If I go for a level 3, it's pretty much just for the hell of it. That said, I've only used a level 3 once. I stick with 1 mostly, 2 rarely.

The more I play the more effective a level 3 has become. Players have become really good at blocking and evading now making it harder to land the 1 and 2 supers. So level 3 supers in the games I have played lately have become a lot more effective because it's at least guaranteed to get kills. To me that's cool to see, and I have become good enough myself to work to a level 3 in a little over halfway through the match and still have enough time to get a couple if level 1's after that.

Zen

Banned
Yeah Lightning is the other option...

Lightning is pretty sweet. She's just the female version of Cloud anyway, without the nostalgia of her game being the first 3D Final Fantasy. If Cloud is included, ok cool, but Lighting has more flourish and potential as a character in the game.

cyborg009

Banned
Lightning is pretty sweet. She's just the female version of Cloud anyway, without the nostalgia of her game being the first 3D Final Fantasy. If Cloud is included, ok cool, but Lighting has more flourish and potential as a character in the game.

I'm still saying tidus for the game

I personally want Cloud, but Tidus would be perfect since he's also an iconic third party character that resonates with the Sony brand and he fits the "Conveniently starring in/associated with an upcoming title" quota that the other third party characters seem to be meeting.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cloud is leagues more iconic than Lightning. It'd be stupid not to include him and would make the came an instant purchase for some.

Dusky

Cloud is leagues more iconic than Lightning. It'd be stupid not to include him and would make the came an instant purchase for some.

Cloud would be great, would definitely have him over Lightning. I'm still convinced he'll be DLC though :(.

SSReborn

I don`t understand why sony can`t get everyone that they got for the Little Big planet costumes.

That was a bunch of third party support.

That was after LBP was successful for them. I'm sure after this game comes out and if it does well for them then third parties will be more likely to want to have their character involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom