• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looking to make films of R&C, J&D, Sly Cooper and more [Update: Sony cover-up?]

Toppot

I was looking into the Heavenly Sword animated movie that was in the works ages ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006753/

It has long been thought dead since we didn't get a sequel to the game nor heard anything since. I looked into the producer's (Brad Foxhoven's) LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/bradfoxhoven

He is the CEO and Founder of Blockade Entertainment

http://www.blockade.com/

They basically make tv shows and films based on videogames and their engines/assets.

So it is likely they are making the Heavenly Sword movie based on the fact the CEO and Founder is also the Producer of the HS film.

This is just the foundation of the real discovery. I came across this website that listed the status of the Heavenly Sword movie, more accurately than IMdB. They also list possible feature films for Ratchet and Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper and Modnation Racers.

http://www.filmfinancialservices.com/our-films.xml

Looking at their statuses some are in preproduction and some are in development. With the Heavenly Sword film to be released soonish, I'm assuming if it does well, that these other franchises might well get the film treatment.

Probably PSN/Straight-to-DVD-or-Bluray/Collectors Edition bonuses rather than cinema films, but that's just me guessing.

Still, interesting to see Sony looking to broaden the appeal/brand of these largely younger audience franchises.

EDIT: Films mysteriously missing now, see my post here of the cover up/hiding

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41406762&postcount=108

Ratchet and Clank movie and Uncharted movie need to happen. Not sure about Sly Cooper or Jak and Daxter......and LOL at Modnation movie.

Takao

Banned
Modnation Racers is dead so we're probably never seeing that unless the thing is just finished on a shelf somewhere. However, Sony Pictures Animation really should've made a Ratchet & Clank film by now.

rbanke

I've always thought Ratchet & Clank would make for an awesome movie. Seems like a no brainer to take some of these games and turn them into movies when they already have fleshed out characters, worlds and cartoon graphic styles.

Toki767

An animated Sly Cooper movie could be pretty cool.

Ratchet & Clank already looks good enough to be a Pixar film so that'd be great as long as Insomniac had a hand in it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
R&C would be a pretty entertaining movie I think... the games are actually surprisingly well written. Very funny.

Is this going to culminate in a Sony All-Stars movie in 2018 all Avengers style and shit

Man...could you imagine? That would be quite something.

I think a R&C movie could work well; it has everything it needs. And obviously an Uncharted movie would be great. Everything else I'm not too bothered about.

SykoTech

A Ratchet & Clank movie makes too much sense to not happen.

I remember Insomniac saying that they were in the talks about one previously, but it didn't take off. Hope it comes to fruition this time.

KevinCow

Banned
And I heard Nintendo is making a Metroid movie

By JOHN WOO.

Man that would've been so awesomely terrible.

Samus dives out in slow motion firing at Ridley while doves fly out of nowhere. Like regular doves, even though they're on an alien planet. And then they have a kung-fu fight. Samus and Ridley, that is, not the doves. Though doves having a kung-fu fight does seem like the next logical progression for John Woo.

Empty

sly cooper would be a better fit for an animated morning cartoon - obviously that's because it's inspired by them before anyone says, but it'd still be cool. one heist per episode, and it'd make all the side characters in the series worthwhile instead of a distraction.

meppi

No, Sony. Take that budget, and make them into games. Goddammit.

Wow there cowboy! I don't see anything wrong with their plan to take money away from game development and putting it towards shitty video game disaster movies.

If it can work for Square, it is bound to work for Sony!

Shahed

I'm really surprised Sony never tried something like this. Even a TV series

The Pokemon anime worked wonders for Nintendo. Is it still going?

I'm down for a R&C film with Dr. Nefarious as the villain(again) or just the Sly crew. Not so sure with a Jak film and Modnation Racers is just laughable.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony Pictures Animation (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ,Arthur Christmas) is actually pretty good, I'd like to see something gaming related from them.

Takao

Banned
I'm reawly surprised Sony nwevee tried something like this. Even a TV series

There were Ape Escape, and Parappa anime series. Ape Escape even got a US cartoon, though it was a series of shorts.

As for Pokemon, it is indeed ongoing.

GimMick

A R&C movie would have great comedy potential. Would watch.

Is this going to culminate in a Sony All-Stars movie in 2018 all Avengers style and shit
And this is a cool idea too.

I'm reawly surprised Sony nwevee tried something like this. Even a TV series

Yes, and it is still very strong in Japan. They are into the 15th movie IIRC. Not going to stop anytime soon.

I'd love to see a live action Ratchet & Clank movie, with maybe someone like Frankie Muniz playing Ratchet and Daniel Radcliffe playing Clank. Shit would be righteous.

Top Bottom