• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WELL. It certainly makes me want a Wii U. Just not sure about having to look at the controller constantly though.

This is what will kill the game in reviews, but having to look at the controller is kind of the point. You can't really be aware of your surroundings when digging around in your backpack in real life and that's what this is supposed to emulate, but feelings of helplessness in video games are never scored highly unless they are accompanied by Nolan North cracking wise about them.

I already look back on my Wii like that now... well, look AT it, seeing as I constantly enjoy Smash Bros. still. Yes, Brawl. Yes, I like Brawl. Oh well.
I play my Wii every night....
(That sounds so wrong.)
The Last Story, Monster Hunter Tri, Call of Duty basically anything that tickles my fancy.
If we know the $ price we know the € price imho

IMO the gamecube had better software support. More interesting third-party-games (capcom exclusives) and also ports like the TimeSplitter series. And most people already look back on their Wii because it's a great dust-collector.

I agree but most people didn't see it like that when it was still in the wild they talked about the purple lunchbox and how kiddie it was.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And they'd deserve to. The idea that PC gaming is a super difficult niche market of nightmare tweaking died several years ago, and it's laughable that people still bring it up. It's easier to PC game now than it ever has been. All the more reason for people to try it.

its super easy in relation to how it used to be. But not perfect.

Building one (especially using the Gaming PC thread here) is pretty simple for anyone. And running windows or steam is easy. But look at all the tweaky threads. Thats what does my head in. I'd like to run a game and know that - whatever it looks like on screen - thats what its supposed to look like. But I know that maybe if you tweak this config or that driver you can eek out a little more performance or quality. and that just cripples me - its like analysis paralysis.

Thats just basic stuff, never mind injecting AA, the way that graphics card drivers override or not the built in settings etc.

I know its possible to ignore it, but I can't because I know its there.

I ended up selling my gaming PC and buying an 'ok' gaming laptop and will just be happy to play my steam backlog at medium settings while looking forward to PS4/720

This is what will kill the game in reviews, but having to look at the controller is kind of the point. You can't really be aware of your surroundings when digging around in your backpack in real life and that's what this is supposed to emulate, but feelings of helplessness in video games are never scored highly unless they are accompanied by Nolan North cracking wise about them.

Pretty comparable to Resident Evils real time backpack though and there wasn't any grousing I can remember about that.(of course just because of that there probably was loads of reviews complaining about it...) But now you really can rummage around while darting an eye on the TV. Could really be a rush when done right in games.

D-e-f-

Banned

Yea it's already happening. I remember some E3 impressions on Weekend Confirmed or some other podcast and that "looking at the controller" part was a major negative brought up in the discussion.

I feel this is gonna be one of those love it or hate it games ultimately. Dark Souls is loved by many but equally hated by others for its quirks and requirements for precision and patience. I see ZombiU going through a similar ordeal.

360 and PS3 had their own experimental titles like Catherine, El Shaddai, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain and of course all the downloadable titles like Braid, Journey, Fat Princess, Limbo, Flower... So it's definitely not as black and white as you make it to be.
I love innovative games but there just aren't that many that justify a buy for me on the Wii.

I wasn't trying to paint a black and white picture here. I even included the "artsy" descriptor in there which would cover most of your examples and the realistic/super serious stuff covers Heavy Rain.

I agree but most people didn't see it like that when it was still in the wild they talked about the purple lunchbox and how kiddie it was.

That was probably mostly a leftover from the N64 days when Nintendo got the kiddie stamp. The purple lunchbox design certainly didn't help but I think the Cube managed to rid itself of the kiddie thing over the years.

Funny how you can see the mass perception always clinging to the last round of hardware and adapting it to the next.

N64 = kiddie -> GCN = kiddie
Wii = weak tech, "stupid" controls -> Wii U = weak tech, "stupid" controls

Yea it's already happening. I remember some E3 impressions on Weekend Confirmed or some other podcast and that "looking at the controller" part was a major negative brought up in the discussion.

I wondered how this will feel if I play (almost) lying, like usual. Could be an advantage, to look at the touchscreen easier, but it might also be uncomfortable as shit, since this thing is so clunky and hence maybe better played sitting.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wondered how this will feel if I play (almost) lying, like usual. Could be an advantage, to look at the touchscreen easier, but it might also be uncomfortable as shit, since this thing is so clunky and hence maybe better played sitting.

Lie down flat or slightly angled on your back, put the stand on your belly, put your gamepad on that stand, play and switch viewing between the screens by merely moving your eyes.

Jackano

0KXQb.jpg

Crazy thing is that you don't need more than this to play with the console

Is this a joke? How the fuck can they write "with style"??!

m.i.s.

Banned
Why? Because we are outraged that Nintendo would rather have retailers fuck us over than to deal with the european courts again for price fixing?
NOEs policies have been shady for years now and the 3DS price left to retailers bullshit was just a cheap ass way of getting around EU regulations.

Same as with the 3DS XL Power Cable. EU regulations state that new electronic devices HAVE to be sold with a USB charging cable instead of a power adaptor to save on copper wiring and e-garbage. What does Nintendo do? Sell the XL without a cable to save themselves some money. NOE is a despicable business and I expect the absolute worst from them for the WiiU European launch.

I agree with the above. NoE have been like this for some time now - the 3DS had an initial wholesale price of a staggering £197 in the UK (slightly more than the retail price of the PS3 at the time, just by way of comparison). NoE, of-course, say that they don't set prices which is disingenuous even if technically true. Unless you're a big supermarket chain with huge bargaining power and can afford loss-leaders, how can you set a price of a product below the wholesale price?

You just have to look at the unprecendented success of the DS (introduced into the UK at a mass market price of £99.99) and how, through NoE's sheer incompetence and greed, the 3DS hardware market has virtually collapsed in the UK and its sales now is just a mere shadow of it's predecessor.

everyone should already know it's gonna happen and they're still gonna act surprised. I'm not defending their way of doing things, I'm warning people not to be naive by expecting NoE to announce a price at some event/ND.

Outrage is the word that fab used. That gross overpricing may or may not happen is not a justification. Whether individuals feign surprise or not is irrelevant.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Hahaha, sometimes I really love forum nerds.

"that pine wood is sooo last season. I wouldn't dare touch my Wii U with that shit."

Nibel

Is this a joke? How the fuck can they write "with style"??!

Maybe they don't aim for your definition of style

90% of the accessory stuff on the last few pages is being marketed for a younger audience.
We will get our simplistic shit, don't worry :D

D-e-f-

Banned
Man, some people in the ZombiU Buckingham Palace trailer thread still don't get that the game is not a L4D-clone random FPS game.

I hope, if the game truly delivers, it'll get lots of word of mouth promo like Dead Island did last year after everyone was down on it for "misleading" them with that awesome trailer.

DekuLink

Yeah, he pisses me off. He isn't even being an analyst at this point, just a guy who obviously wants Nintendo to fail.

Oh well. He can say what he wants... I'll be buying me a Wii U in a few months.

I don't think he wants them to fail. Rather that he think they will with Wii U.

Actually I think the problem is not him expressing his thoughts, but rather that people ask him about Nintendo all the time and websites write about what he says all the time

quadium32

Neo Member
I don't think he wants them to fail. Rather that he think they will with Wii U.

Actually I think the problem is not him expressing his thoughts, but rather that people ask him about Nintendo all the time and websites write about what he says all the time

Part of me wonders if he knows the Nintendo releases will be successful, so he warns investors about Nintendo, which drives the stock price down. He makes a buy when the stock is at a low price... and sells after the Nintendo stock has gone back up.

Probably not the case. But I was mentioning the guy to an investor I know, and that was his first reaction/theory. Nothing based in facts, just speculation.

Banned
Guys I'm just catching up. Why THE FUCK is their posts about PC gaming having issues and consoles are better, in my WII U thread?

Edit: Green Ranger and the Dragonzord for the win btw.

JHardin1112

Neo Member
Hello all. I write for a small Nintendo fan site and we are going to be having a couple of game tournaments coming up shortly, for Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 7. We will have several prizes to give away, but we are still undecided on the GRAND prize. We want to give away a Wii U, but in order for us to put out the money for the console, we want to have a good amount of participants.

I don't want to say what site I write for, I just want to know if anyone would actually be interested in having the opportunity to win prizes, but specifically...

...if you knew a Wii U was up for grabs, would you enter the tournaments?

MODS - I apologize if this is not the correct place to be posting this, I felt it was relevant due to this being the Wii U thread and the possibility of us giving away a Wii U console. Please advise.

D-e-f-

Banned
Damn. That thing was and is amazing! xD

It reminded me of the trailer for Power Rangers Megaforce. If you watched any season of Power Rangers, minute 0:55 is mind-blowing! Awesomest thing!

OMG nerdgasm! My 9-year old self just fell over and imploded! That crowd reaction even kicks the Twilight Princess moment in the nuts lol. Gotta watch that hahaha

I've been dreaming of a real, proper video game version of something like that moment for year. I still want it to happen.

Edit: Green Ranger and the Dragonzord for the win btw.

Okay now we never ever need to argue ever again :D
*stamp of approval*

So by those numbers, where does Wii U have to fall to not be considered a bomb?

Because Pachter's idea of a bomb is not doing Wii numbers.

I think it just has to stay ahead of orbis and/or durango through it's entire lifespan. Bonus points if it ends on a high note, but that usually takes 3rd party support which will might be strangely absent in the sequel to the highest selling console of the generation.

Hello all. I write for a small Nintendo fan site and we are going to be having a couple of game tournaments coming up shortly, for Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 7. We will have several prizes to give away, but we are still undecided on the GRAND prize. We want to give away a Wii U, but in order for us to put out the money for the console, we want to have a good amount of participants.

I don't want to say what site I write for, I just want to know if anyone would actually be interested in having the opportunity to win prizes, but specifically...

...if you knew a Wii U was up for grabs, would you enter the tournaments?

MODS - I apologize if this is not the correct place to be posting this, I felt it was relevant due to this being the Wii U thread and the possibility of us giving away a Wii U console. Please advise.

I would enter even though I'm pretty terrible at Kid Icarus.

JHardin1112

Neo Member
I would enter even though I'm pretty terrible at Kid Icarus.

Hey, if it's a chance to win prizes and maybe even a Wii U I say go for it. We are very much leaning towards giving away a Wii U.

I really want to gauge interest at this point. Regardless, we want our two tournaments to be done the day before the Wii U release (possibly Nov 17th).

Thanks for you reply!

Linkhero1

I want one. I actually do at this point. I want to play NSMB Wii U. I want to play it so bad. Avoiding the 3DS NSMB game helped a lot too. Rayman looks neat too.

Hoodbury

Hey, if it's a chance to win prizes and maybe even a Wii U I say go for it. We are very much leaning towards giving away a Wii U.

I really want to gauge interest at this point. Regardless, we want our two tournaments to be done the day before the Wii U release (possibly Nov 17th).

Thanks for you reply!

Personally I wouldn't enter. If it's a competition contest I know there is no reason to enter due to there is always some people that know too many ins and outs of the games that there is no way to win for the normal player like myself.

If it was something more basic like a simple sign up to your website and then just enter a random drawing I would probably enter. Maybe a simple Nintendo themed quiz or something like that. But a competition wouldn't work for me. The timing is so difficult to get everyone on at the same time, the disconnects, etc, make it too much of a hassle in my opinion.

Very nice of you to give away a Wii-U though.

DrWong

D-e-f-

Banned
I know F1 Race Stars from Codemasters isn't that sort of support people are waiting for but anyway here's the info: I found 2 Codemasters linkedin profiles (tech. dir. & QA) listing the Wii U version. Didn't see this info here nor googeling. I know the Wii U version has been rumored/expected even if the offial website still doesn't list the console. Now we know.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=6417640
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=86498873

We've had that confirmed in the last thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41376069&postcount=19067

User KennyLinder used to work there and mentioned one of his colleagues worked on a Wii U game running at 60fps and we went on to do a guessing game, eventually arriving and confirming it's F1 Race Stars. If you wanna follow the old discussion you have to read through the previous page starting from that linked post.

Why does that robot have a giant erection?

OMGITSNOTAROBOT *meltdown*

:p

jerd

The average feeling is that Wii U will bomb hard.

I assume you mean here on GAF and in the mind of Michael Pachter? It will not be the Wii, but I bet it outsells the N64 and GCN.

Edit: Also, "bomb" is being used relatively to the Wii I think. If a console sells 25 million and profits on every one of them, from a business perspective isn't it more successful than a console that sells 60 million but hemorrhages money?

The average feeling is that Wii U will bomb hard.

That was the "average feeling" for the Revolution/Wii prior to its launch as well.

All these people, blathering words based on absolutely nothing.

Thinking it will be like the Wii in years 2-3 is unrealistic. The Wii was a complete outlier to all the Nintendo consoles to come before it. But it could easily outpace the N64/NGC/SNES given how the gaming population has grown.

TunaLover

I assume you mean here on GAF and in the mind of Michael Pachter? It will not be the Wii, but I bet it outsells the N64 and GCN.

Edit: Also, "bomb" is being used relatively to the Wii I think. If a console sells 25 million and profits on every one of them, from a business perspective isn't it more successful than a console that sells 60 million but hemorrhages money?
I'm worried about the apathy showed for developers mostly.

JHardin1112

Neo Member
We've received enough feedback and here's to hoping we get an influx of traffic and participants.

So we WILL be offering a Wii U console as the GRAND prize at the end of our 2 tournaments. The details have not all been finalized, but if you are interested take a look at the two links to the tournaments and bookmark them for the very near future.

Plus! We even have a couple of Wii U games as prizes and more!

Kid Icarus Uprising Tournament

Mario Kart 7 Tournament - Win a Wii U Console!

Because I like seeing this thread in a frenzy (sometimes :p), I won't go into detail, but I do have reason to believe that due to the possibility of 2GB of total memory the non-gaming functions were not reduced from the dev kit (at least for now) and the final will have 1GB dedicated to that and the other 1GB to games.

Off to work!

DrWong

We've had that confirmed in the last thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41376069&postcount=19067

User KennyLinder used to work there and mentioned one of his colleagues worked on a Wii U game running at 60fps and we went on to do a guessing game, eventually arriving and confirming it's F1 Race Stars. If you wanna follow the old discussion you have to read through the previous page starting from that linked post.

OMGITSNOTAROBOT *meltdown*

:p
Missed it. Thanks.

Because I like seeing this thread in a frenzy (sometimes :p), I won't go into detail, but I do have reason to believe that due to the possibility of 2GB of total memory the non-gaming functions were not reduced from the dev kit (at least for now) and the final will have 1GB dedicated to that and the other 1GB to games.

Off to work!
Which functions/features would require so much RAM if you're right? Multi video streams to follow friends gaming session, like TV channels...?

Kouriozan

Off to work!

Maybe for watching your friends playing in real time on your gamepad?
Yeah I like dreaming :p

EDIT : Aww, too late x)

Nibel

ibmpl09pOfy50K.gif

Off to work!

ibvCokfQUdafZL.gif

What a tease, man.

1GB for OS stuff is pretty huge. If this will indeed be fluid as I hope it's going to be then we are all in for a ride.

I wonder if there can be games that deactivate some OS functions to give the running game more power - but that probably won't happen and I'm not so educated about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom