• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah, another reason why i kinda intended not to hang out here anymore.
Good luck trying to have an opinion that goes against HaloGAF's general opinion. Fucking elitism.
At this point everyone has different opinions. The lines between down & slurp have been blurred.

Kibbles

exile_ctf_pax2012.movhfs3v.png

Dis pleases me.

feel

lmao heckfu's pics are always great.

Fantastic write-ups Ghaleon, thanks a lot for going indepth and being critical. I like that you specifically tested to see if the tagging was working, and I'm glad that you found that it was, feeling powerless against a sword sprinter in Reach was the worst.

MKVI for life, looks nice in that pic Ply posted.

Woorloog

Banned
Woah dude. Its nothing like that. I am actually interested towards your opinions, perspectives about the new game.

At this point everyone has different opinions. The lines between down & slurp have been blurred.

Then why is HaloGAF always (hyperbole) jumping on opinions contary to HaloGAF general opinion, unless the member in question is a veteran HaloGAF member?

That is what bothers me.
People here jumped on Poland when he said he liked Guardian better than Heretic (a friend of mine has more or less the same exact opinion, he couldn't stand Heretic). People jump on me when i say i don't like Mark VI.
It is just a frigging opinion.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
guise, u guise

dem textures
That is what bothers me.
People here jumped on Poland when he said he liked Guardian better than Heretic (a friend of mine has more or less the same exact opinion, he couldn't stand Heretic). People jump on me when i say i don't like Mark VI.
It's just a kneejerk reaction no need to sweat it but popular opinion will always(atleast try to) talk down others.

Then why is HaloGAF always (hyperbole) jumping on opinions contary to HaloGAF general opinion, unless the member in question is a veteran HaloGAF member?

That is what bothers me.
People jumped on you because those individual people had strongly differing opinions and expressed them. They were, what, maybe 2 or 3 posters out of how many in this thread? Come on now, calm down. HaloGAF doesn't have an opinion, it is a collection of people who have opinions and will express them. Whenever you post something, you can't expect everyone in the thread to weigh in on how they feel so you can see where everyone stands; only a few people will respond, and those are usually the people that strongly disagree.

This is how it is. This is how it always will be. Please stop with your 'the world is against me' mentality.

Anyone else notice in the HBO video that sound effects keep disappearing?

Yeah, another thing that stood out to me was that the Spartans do not cry out upon death, or make noises while being assassinated.. I hope this is a bug.

Nom nom nom, just got to play 5v5 CTF on exile again. Got some folks to capture all our perspectives and Duncan is going to compile into one big video when he gets home.
So looking forward to seeing that.

Good stuff, cool to see the Auto Turret in action...It does not seem OP at all, so I think its pretty cool. Now we just need to truly see the Regen field in action..it seemed nobody was really using that thing.

Lol, FOTUS is awesomely goofy.. I like it more than Hyabussa, I hated that armor.

A Hero Awakes finally on press site :)
647.7MB

http://press.xbox360.com/product.asp?p=51
(downloading now)

Nice, thanks!

That map looks so fun...game is looking good, and sounding great if not a bit awkward and off at times.

Fat2S.jpg

0SgVC.jpg

You know what to do HaloGAF

Amazing.

So, in the first post I just talked about the core gameplay. This is basically, I thought I'd go over the new stuffz and how it worked out.

Armor Abilities and Mods

Awesome writeup as usual, thanks for taking the time out to share.

Yes. =)

In this post I will not admit I know its not in game.

In this post however, I will say that if it's not in the game, they have 63 days to fix that immeasurable error in judgement.

(all the feelsbad)

;(

SPARTAN_-_Mark_V.jpg

So good, I really hope they find a way to include all the classic and spin off armor options in time.. I want Halo Wars, Halo 1, FUD, concept art armor and more..

feel

That is what bothers me.
No hivemind in here, opinions are as split as they come. In the few rare cases where the majority agrees on something, people like to have some fun and pretend to get pissed off and gang up on the guy who doesn't share the same opinion. It's all harmless fun no need to take it seriously or look too much into it.

I've made a huge mistake.
Who did you bang

Woorloog

Banned
Imo. The Halo 3's visors had more detail compared to Reachs and abit Halo 4's Mk 6.
I understand they were designed from different engines. Top picture doesn't help show its True details but the helmet looks great overall. Would love to see more pics.

You could say Halo 4's Mark VI looks too clean. Kinda plastic (all Halo 4 armor does look kinda plastic in certain lightings).

Halo 4's Mark VI looks out of proportion
That too.

Imo. The Halo 3's visors had more detail compared to Reachs and abit Halo 4's Mk 6.
I understand they were designed from different engines. Top picture doesn't help show its True details but the helmet looks great overall. Would love to see more pics.

Let's compare these a little more fairly.

Mark VI said:

Halo 4's visor bump is still there, it just doesn't show very well in that video cap.

Aside from that, they're basically the same.

heckfu

Banned
So as sick as halo 4 looks right now.. I still can't get hyped, three words..

Skill based rank

Until this is confirmed in multiple playlists I cannot bring myself to preorder the game. Granted it looks fantastic but I know without ranks I will eventually grow bored of it.

Lol you need a visible rank to see how much I'm going to shit on you?

Yeah, that's what the helmet in the Armory is. Look at the mouthpiece or whatever.

Edit: Ah nvm, looks like it isn't identical. But it's certainly a hybrid of the Mk VI and Mk VII
yeah, it's an updated Mk VI, but still Mk VI. I like the old Mk VI better (and where the hell is my Mk V?!)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Someone made a post in one of the previous OT's, I think it was either kylej or Overdoziz, about how Steitzer should just say "HOLY SHIT" if you did something really awesome.

I can't stop thinking about that watching the new videos. It would be amazing/rewarding/hilarious if when you got like a combonation of 4-6 possible audio tracks, it defaulted to one "special track" of Steitzer saying JESUS H. FUCK, or HOLY SHIT or something. (maybe without the cursing but yeah).

Kibbles

Is this the original file or ripped from youtube? (on phone can't download right now anyway)

Took longer than expected because I was trying out another file host that seems to have failed me atm. So just went with mediafire again.

2:13 in that video shows that if you're Sprinting towards a small step that you'd normally have to jump to get up, you now just step up it.

Not. Frikkin. Bad.

Ryaaan14

Banned
This seems to happen to the hand on every respawn.

mcDZu.gif

Because of non-final build? Texture pop also seemed to be a big issue during death cams, as noted by a lot of people. Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily unnoticed in prior games, but because of the crazy textures in this game it's harder to hide. idk.

mcDZu.gif

Because of non-final build? Texture pop also seemed to be a big issue during death cams, as noted by a lot of people. Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily unnoticed in prior games, but because of the crazy textures in this game it's harder to hide. idk.

Texture pop-in on the dudes visor? Where da next gen at?

It looks like it's just the normal maps that are "popping" in. It's probably an easy fix.

Overdoziz

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/mcDZu.gif[img]

Because of non-final build? Texture pop also seemed to be a big issue during death cams, as noted by a lot of people. Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily unnoticed in prior games, but because of the crazy textures in this game it's harder to hide. idk.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, there's been a fair amount of texture popping from what we've seen so far, especially on the Spartan characters. I don't recall it ever being a problem in any Halo game before except for Anniversary (which did a pretty bad job with the new graphics anyway in my opinion) and the Halo 2 cutscenes.

Myyke

Neo Member
Yeah, there's been a fair amount of texture popping from what we've seen so far, especially on the Spartan characters. I don't recall it ever being a problem in any Halo game before except for Anniversary (which did a pretty bad job with the new graphics anyway in my opinion) and the Halo 2 cutscenes.

It's an in-game feature in Halo 4 because it is a visual representation of the Infinity's Virtual Reality loading up ;).

I don't remember noticing any texture pop in Anniversary that I can recall, was it limited to certain levels/areas? I gave Anniversary a whirl on my new TV a while back and I'm honestly of the opinion that it is the best looking Halo so far; Reach quality graphics but with vibrant colours and without the grainy filter.

It's an in-game feature in Halo 4 because it is a visual representation of the Infinity's Virtual Reality loading up ;).

I don't remember noticing any texture pop in Anniversary that I can recall, was it limited to certain levels/areas? I gave Anniversary a whirl on my new TV a while back and I'm honestly of the opinion that it is the best looking Halo so far; Reach quality graphics but with vibrant colours and without the grainy filter.

Gotta agree, Games looks amazing

Overdoziz

Banned

The pop-in in Anniversary is mostly on the doors during Two Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room and the pipes that you have to open right before the warthog run on The Maw as far as I remember.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of the Anniversary graphics. Half the models they used were new and the other half was re-used from other games which in the end just made everything look a bit out of place. The art style seemed way too busy in my opinion, especially the Forerunner environments which often had too much going on. I don't know... I still prefer playing in old graphics because it's much sleeker and has a more unified and consistent look. And it's easier to see what the geometry actually is shaped like which some times isn't the case with the new graphics layer.

Myyke

Neo Member
The pop-in in Anniversary is mostly on the doors during Two Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room and the pipes that you have to open right before the warthog run on The Maw as far as I remember.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of the Anniversary graphics. Half the models they used were new and the other half was re-used from other games which in the end just made everything look a bit out of place. The art style seemed way too busy in my opinion, especially the Forerunner environments which often had too much going on. I don't know... I still prefer playing in old graphics because it's much sleeker and has a more unified and consistent look. And it's easier to see what the geometry actually is shaped like which some times isn't the case with the new graphics layer.

I personally was a little disappointed by the amount of re-used assets, particularly because 343 went through all the trouble of re-designing the Chief and then just re-using pretty much every character and vehicle model from Reach (with minor changes). The worst culprit for me was the Reach Scorpion, with a gaping hole where the MG Turret was. To be honest that all left me pretty wary of how 343 would approach Halo 4, i.e. were they going to take the easy route and re-use as much as they could of Bungie's work, but my worries have pretty much been blown away by what is a pretty thorough visual "reboot" of the post Halo 3 Universe.

The most important thing about Halo Anniversary for me was that it showed that 343 had the capability to deliver the goods graphically, a proof of concept. Gameplay wise Anniversary was still very much Bungie's work, I've got my fingers crossed that 343 can deliver on that side aswell.

My personal annoyance with previous halo games is the lack of diversity in the factions of the covenant mainly the elites.

Over time we have seen Everything from BoB's to Honor Guards and Zealots but no game has a complete collection, I never feel like I'm facing an army with multiple ranks more like a single battalion with a leader and some cannon fodder.

Id love a level that seen me go up against the full might of the Elite hierarchy

Striker

A few things I noticed.

Halo 4 is more about better shooting and less about melee everything.
More like Halo 1/2 in killing those players by your gun than a melee is definitely and improvement gameplay wise, and causes far less frustation. The AR+rush and double melee garbage we've become accustomed to in H3 and Reach was tip of the priorities that needed adjusted. MLG settings in those games reduced melee damage for a reason.

Top Bottom