• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceblade

Had a look back at 2006's NYC Sep 14 Wii conference recently, and I'm hoping we get a lot of the same info at the Wii U's conference. For those who forget, that conference was the place where we not only heard about the price on the console and its accessories, but the channel interface, the photo viewer, Mii creation, that Wii Sports would be included with console, and first and third party launch lineup information for the very first time. Hoping we got a lot of that and more next week. I'm itching for some Nintendo Network walkthroughs!

ikioi

Banned
Wii U is going to be manufactured and have RAM soldered onto the guts; the price of RAM for Nintendo is NOT simply a wholesale price, it is the cost of the specific RAM + being soldered + being soldered in a specific place that can all contribute to a higher cost, among other things, than what a typical stick of RAM may be

This is so wrong it's not funny.

Nintendo would pay almost nothing for RAM chips in comparison to standard wholesale and retail prices. They would be paying a hell of a lot less.

For starters, Nintendo would be buying their ram in bulk and directly from the manufacturer. They would be sourcing their memory chips from the likes of Samsung directly, not through wholesalers or distribution chains. Also given Nintendo would be purchasing literally millions if not tens of mililons of memory chips per year, this raw volume gives them tremendous buynig power.

Also your claim of increased production costs due to soldering is just as wrong. It's an automated production line, intergrating the memory modules takes a robot seconds to do. Also last i checked computer RAM came on a PCB, so it too requires soldering and processing. It would cost Nintendo and Foxconn (who i assume are going to be the PCB assembler) next to nothing, ie less then a few cents, to intergrate RAM modules onto the motherboard PCB. Intergratating components onto a PCB is often cheaper too, as you reduce size, weight, shipping, and raw materials. If anything Nintendo are likely saving money going down the intergration route.

In short, you're crazy and wrong.

We might get some teasers for 2013 games, but I think we will get a system blowout. This conference is 6 hours and I expect it will be filled with good info that we want. I think they will get detailed info on MiiVerse, how the NFC applications could be handled, and a basic framework of their online strategy for DD and gaming.

And I'm sure to be let down by Nintendo once again.

Maybe someone could clear this whole '6 hour event' up for me.

There is no way they are going to have a presentation for 6 hours right ?, i think it will be a 'Wii U Experience' of sorts for the press, with updated builds of the games we already know about and maybe a few new games that have never been playable or known about yet like Blops 2, Fifa 13, Madden 13 ect.

The fact that there is no stream indicates that there may be a 30 min - 1 hour presentation at either the start or end from Reggie in which he goes over what he said at E3 and then reveals the launch dates for the console and software aswell as revealing the price of the system.

People expecting live streams, game announcements, OS / Player profile / Achievement / Online play / Eshop info and above all some sort of and 'before i go' video with a trailer of something as huge as Zelda or Metroid are going to be left very disappointed indeed.

Nintendo made it clear at E3 that all they want to talk about in 2012 is the consoles launch and launch / launch window games.

New game announcements will come at Nintendo Directs (Starfox, Mario Kart, F Zero, Donkey Kong ect) and the really big game announcements (EAD Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid) will be saved for E3 as per usual.

I mean, at this point I care less about the games and more about hoping Nintendo blows the roof off the place because Spieler Eins' gimmick has gotten boring.

Totally agree, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's negative (to which i don;t understand why he posts in WU threads other than to troll) but this constant bashing of the hardware, software, E3, strategy is getting really annoying.

We all know his view on the WU, i wish he would just get over it, Jesus....

goomba

Banned
I thought it had one, such that - you know - you can play your Wii games on TV. I don't remember them ever mentioning that you can play Wii games on the uPad itself.

The Wii U comes with a separate sensor bar to put on top the TV (Like Wii) as well as a sensor bar on the GamePad. Why wouldn't you be able to play Wii games using the GamePad as the TV?

jerd

The Wii U comes with a separate sensor bar to put on top the TV (Like Wii) as well as a sensor bar on the GamePad. Why wouldn't you be able to play Wii games using the GamePad as the TV?

I've always wondered how this setup was going to work. I think there was a patent form or something with a stand for the Gamepad and it looked like the user was using a wii remote on the TV then maybe dragging stuff over to the Gamepad screen, or turning to the Gamepad screen to manipulate it. I think this is the main function of the sensor bar on the Gamepad. Playing Wii games on a 6.2 inch screen just doesn't really seem to be a very good option.

Edit: I think maybe this was the one

images

Maybe someone could clear this whole '6 hour event' up for me.

There is no way they are going to have a presentation for 6 hours right ?, i think it will be a 'Wii U Experience' of sorts for the press, with updated builds of the games we already know about and maybe a few new games that have never been playable or known about yet like Blops 2, Fifa 13, Madden 13 ect.

The fact that there is no stream indicates that there may be a 30 min - 1 hour presentation at either the start or end from Reggie in which he goes over what he said at E3 and then reveals the launch dates for the console and software aswell as revealing the price of the system.

People expecting live streams, game announcements, OS / Player profile / Achievement / Online play / Eshop info and above all some sort of and 'before i go' video with a trailer of something as huge as Zelda or Metroid are going to be left very disappointed indeed.

Nintendo made it clear at E3 that all they want to talk about in 2012 is the consoles launch and launch / launch window games.

New game announcements will come at Nintendo Directs (Starfox, Mario Kart, F Zero, Donkey Kong ect) and the really big game announcements (EAD Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid) will be saved for E3 as per usual.

I haven't heard anything about live streams yet - but I believe there probably will be one for the "presentation" piece. It's going to be re-broadcast later that day in GameStops across the country - so hopefully it'll be live-streamed somewhere as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well when Wii games look as bad as they do on HDTV's, they might actually look crisp and clear on the little WiiPad screen.

LOL--this is exactly what I was thinking while playing Mario Galaxy 2 on my 60" plasma screen yesterday.

Oersted

I haven't heard anything about live streams yet - but I believe there probably will be one for the "presentation" piece. It's going to be re-broadcast later that day in GameStops across the country - so hopefully it'll be live-streamed somewhere as well.

there was that yt-video where a guy said, gamestop will live-broadcasting

i know vectorman06, i know

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to mention that the conceptions of wholesale RAM being cheap equating to the same RAM Nintendo is putting in the Wii U, even if both are DDR3, is not the exact same

When RAM is at wholesale, it usually refers to single sticks

Wii U is going to be manufactured and have RAM soldered onto the guts; the price of RAM for Nintendo is NOT simply a wholesale price, it is the cost of the specific RAM + being soldered + being soldered in a specific place that can all contribute to a higher cost, among other things, than what a typical stick of RAM may be

One thing I have noticed, on gaming threads in general, is this idea that simple computer parts at wholesale value or newegg prices are what goes into consoles; this isn't true.

I know other posters addressed this, and many have done multiple times in the past in various threads, but its something everyone should consider *before* any emotionally fuelled conclusions are drawn

console ram =/= "typical" ram, even if the console ram is the same

I think Wii U will be plenty fine for the next 6 years worth of Nintendo games, and I have always kept my expectations of the Wii U tech in check. Its not as weak as this post is making it out to be, even if it isn't as strong as you (and I, and others) would personally have liked to see it

I'm extremely late to this party (hi everybody!) but I am also surprised that they would stick at a number like 1.5 gigs. There's also bus complexity to think about when assessing cost, and that's not something which can really be cost reduced over time either.

So two scenarios for RAM really:

a)They've gone w/ DDR3, and accepted a main memory bandwidth of around or even below PS360. This would cripple performance in games even with the eDRAM (that's gonna get tied up doing other things), but they'd be able to eventually, if not immediately, only use 3 chips in the process (4 gigabit (512 megabyte) DDR3 chips have just started appearing recently).

b)They stuck with 1.5 gigs because they've invested in the more pricey GDDR5 RAM, which would keep them at 6 RAM chips, but safely put memory bandwidth beyond 1.5x PS360. This would definitely be the less stingy option and shouldn't be completely out of the question given Nintendo's history of less but better RAM. Personally speaking, tripling RAM capacity but maintaining or reducing bandwidth just seems extremely counterintuitive and wasteful.

Tmdean

Banned
Playing Wii games on a 6.2 inch screen just doesn't really seem to be a very good option.

I have to admit that playing any games that use the sensor bar or motion controls would be a horrible experience, but there's no technical reason that Nintendo couldn't turn this feature on.

For games that don't use motion controls, I think the GamePad actually has enough buttons to emulate a Wii Remote/Nunchuck. However, allowing that would be a change for Nintendo, which historically hasn't supported button remapping with their backwards compatibility. Maybe you'll just be able to play games that supported the Classic Controller directly on the GamePad, but off the top of my head there weren't very many games that supported the Classic Controller.

Terrell

I'm extremely late to this party (hi everybody!) but I am also surprised that they would stick at a number like 1.5 gigs. There's also bus complexity to think about when assessing cost, and that's not something which can really be cost reduced over time either.

So two scenarios for RAM really:

a)They've gone w/ DDR3, and accepted a main memory bandwidth of around or even below PS360. This would cripple performance in games even with the eDRAM (that's gonna get tied up doing other things), but they'd be able to eventually, if not immediately, only use 3 chips in the process (4 gigabit (512 megabyte) DDR3 chips have just started appearing recently).

b)They stuck with 1.5 gigs because they've invested in the more pricey GDDR5 RAM, which would keep them at 6 RAM chips, but safely put memory bandwidth beyond 1.5x PS360. This would definitely be the less stingy option and shouldn't be completely out of the question given Nintendo's history of less but better RAM. Personally speaking, tripling RAM capacity but maintaining or reducing bandwidth just seems extremely counterintuitive and wasteful.
You missed option 3: using a RAM type that is less frequently used in consumer tech (see: GameCube, 3DS, the as-of-then underutilized Rambus RAM in N64)

nordique

This is so wrong it's not funny.

Nintendo would pay almost nothing for RAM chips in comparison to standard wholesale and retail prices. They would be paying a hell of a lot less.

For starters, Nintendo would be buying their ram in bulk and directly from the manufacturer. They would be sourcing their memory chips from the likes of Samsung directly, not through wholesalers or distribution chains. Also given Nintendo would be purchasing literally millions if not tens of mililons of memory chips per year, this raw volume gives them tremendous buynig power.

Also your claim of increased production costs due to soldering is just as wrong. It's an automated production line, intergrating the memory modules takes a robot seconds to do. Also last i checked computer RAM came on a PCB, so it too requires soldering and processing. It would cost Nintendo and Foxconn (who i assume are going to be the PCB assembler) next to nothing, ie less then a few cents, to intergrate RAM modules onto the motherboard PCB. Intergratating components onto a PCB is often cheaper too, as you reduce size, weight, shipping, and raw materials. If anything Nintendo are likely saving money going down the intergration route.

In short, you're crazy and wrong.

...étendu

well, I'm not shy about being wrong about something, if I am, then I am...fair enough...but I think you corrected me on something I wasn't trying to say...the two thing you identified where you felt I was incorrect were:

1) nintendo paying what they pay for their ram, vs. wholesale & retail prices a consumer would pay (you thought I meant one and the same i.e. Nintendo purhcasing from wholesalers...this is incorrect, and I dont think I stated anywhere Nintendo would get their ram from wholesalers)
and
2) Increased production costs due to soldering process. (this I agree I said incorrectly; I will explain below what I meant)

I think what I am trying to say however (in all my craziness...my beautiful craziness though) is a completely other issue entirely from what you understandably interpreted...and I don't blame you, re-reading my post it makes sense, and why I didn't make my point:

first, for the record, although I didn't take into account bulk production, I do understand how bulk orders work, especially on the magnitude of what Nintendo would be ordering, and how it will save them money including the fact they will be reducing the complexity by soldering with the system...given that the Wii U will be manufactured over at least 6 years...

also not once did I even state that they would be getting them from wholesellers (did I actually say that?? because then I agree that was a ridiculous - and wrong - thing to say!!) But looking back quickly, I do not believe I did...I think the confusion was because I was not clear in differentiating how a consumer-obtained wholesale item differentiates from a nintendo obtained item...I am well aware they will not be obtaining it from wholesale...but my sentence was extremely confusing, and you very nicely outlined how that works; on your first point, it was poor english on my part.

Secondly: specifically me implying driving up the cost due to the complexity of a Wii U ram chip vs. a standard PC stick...you're right how you said it, and you described it better than I could in further detail...but it isn't what I meant to say or was trying to say but I suppose I was too lazy to, so let me try again:

my point was, that what I was originally commenting on, was how console ram and "typical PC ram" are not exactly the same; there is this misconception that circulates around GAF and other forums online that basically goes like this: "you can get ram so cheap from newegg or w.e. therefore it should be cheap for Nintendo to put in an extra 2GB! Its only Y$!!"

And regardless of how little I may know about specifics on pcb manufacturing, I do know that how they reach the consumer is the key difference, and why it is not as simple as these misconceptions try to demonstrate:

How they reach the market IS the entire different as far as the money flow is concerned, and even if the same ram was done on the same process, For a consumer to obtain Wii U RAM they have to purchase a Wii U and everything that comes with it...that is why it is important for Nintendo to get everything in bulk, in huge numbers, and be very very meticulous with every single part that goes into the system; the decision to go with DDR3 alone vs GDDR5 (as I'm sure you are well aware of) could save them a ton of dollars during the Wii U's manufacturing lifetime

Nintendo isn't manufacturing just ram to sell, like a wholesale stick (I am responding to the idea that "it should cost Nintendo as cheap as a WHOLESALE PRICE to obtain, when in fact it is not that simple!) this is something that has had R&D go into it, it has to make profit for them, it has to be cheap, it has a custom design, and that ram is soldered onto the system is part of the whole package...it is cheaper for them in terms of saving money, and everything together is complex (that is what I meant by increased cost for them of ram + solder + specific part...I meant its not just RAM, its a Wii U console that is being manufactured)

I think from that respect, people are being disingenuous when bringing up PC ram as a comparison to "how cheap it is for Nintendo to throw in another stick"...

and I don't really care if I'm crazy or "wrong" while trying to explain what comes across to me as an unfair comparison...fact is, people cannot bring up PC RAM, give a price, and somehow equate that to Nintendo's RAM and manufacturing process as if it is *that* simple to change...it isn't, it messes up a lot of things

make sense? I was trying to explain something else

jerd

Well when Wii games look as bad as they do on HDTV's, they might actually look crisp and clear on the little WiiPad screen.

So true! I really hope this is an option. I wasn't very clear in my post, what I meant was for pointer functionality. Really anything that has you using a Wii remote separate from the Gamepad. Games like Xenoblade or Smash or anything that doesn't require motion controls/supports classic or gamecube controllers would be absolutely amazing on the Gamepad.

I used to love ps3 but it seems Wii has all the rpgs and other fun games this generation so might pick this up since its bc with wii if i am not mistaken

Does PS3 / 360 use GDDR3 or GDDR5 Ram ?.

If Wii U uses 1.5GB's of GDDR5 Ram and PS360 used 512MB's of GDDR 3 Ram then it would be much more powerful from a Ram view rather than just the generic '3 times as much', no ?.

Why are we back onto 1.5GB of RAM again..? Didn't Ancel say it had a 'enormous' amount of RAM..? Sounds like at least 2GB to me. And what about this 'almost no limitations' business..? I was thinking about 2GB of DDR3 with 2GB of the 8GB onboard flash being used for swapspace. They'd have to use SLC instead of MLC I guess for the extra speed and accuracy needed but in theory it could be done, couldn't it..? Not too clued up on flash storage though so perhaps I'm wide of the mark..?

Ancel isn't the first developer to praise the amount of RAM so I can't see Nintendo not bunging an extra 512MB in myself.

It's interesting to see all the reading comprehension fails over the Capcom comments in their annual report. Apparently almost nobody knows what 'begins in earnest' means.

there are tech sites reporting wii u is supporting directx. so no surprise here.

True enough. When it's even Nintendo fan sites that are reporting it wrong and rationalizing it ('Wii U is under powered and doesn't require upgrades of current tech, therefore it makes sense') something is very wrong.

Shokio

Neo Member
Does PS3 / 360 use GDDR3 or GDDR5 Ram ?.

If Wii U uses 1.5GB's of GDDR5 Ram and PS360 used 512MB's of GDDR 3 Ram then it would be much more powerful from a Ram view rather than just the generic '3 times as much', no ?.

PS3 and 360 use GDDR3 if I'm not mistaken.

But you bring up a good point, I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

Exactly how much more efficient is GDDR5 RAM over GDDR3? Would 1.5 of GDDR5 match the efficiency of 2 Gigs of GDDR3, for instance?

^ I'd be fine with an app.

super-gameboy.jpg

there are tech sites reporting wii u is supporting directx. so no surprise here.

That's because Nintendo is using as a reference in their specs.

Side note: Only Nintendo's API is linked with DX10.1, not the GPU in the final specs according to what I saw. It is plausible to believe that when Nintendo told devs what they planned for their GPU, that they said that's not going to be good enough. And from there took extra measures before taping out the GPU to make it "more 2012" as I was told last year. And have yet to (or won't, though doubtful if this scenario is true) update their API.

PS3 and 360 use GDDR3 if I'm not mistaken.

But you bring up a good point, I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

Exactly how much more efficient is GDDR5 RAM over GDDR3? Would 1.5 of GDDR5 match the efficiency of 2 Gigs of GDDR3, for instance?

Uhhh.

It's speed (bandwidth here), not "efficiency".

The Wii U is almost certainly using DDR3. Which is comparable in speed to the GDDR3 in 360/PS3. Which makes sense, as everything else about the system is more and more appearing comparable to the PS360.

GDDR5 is the "good stuff" used in the highest end PC cards of today. Nintendo probably felt they didn't need it, because the Wii U isn't that powerful. Of course, GDDR5 is much more expensive than DDR3.

Nintendo is also rumored to use 32MB of EDRAM, which is kind of like a cache and can help with bandwidth a lot, so DDR3+EDRAM>just DDR3.

Uhhh.

The Wii U is almost certainly using DDR3. Which is comparable in speed to the GDDR3 in 360/PS3. Which makes sense, as everything else about the system is more and more appearing comparable to the PS360.

GDDR5 is the "good stuff" used in the highest end PC cards of today. Nintendo probably felt they didn't need it, because the Wii U isn't that powerful. Of course, GDDR5 is much more expensive than DDR3.

Nintendo is also rumored to use 32MB of EDRAM, which is kind of like a cache and can help with bandwidth a lot, so DDR3+EDRAM>just DDR3.

Do you dream of electric sheep?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Are we guessing Nintendo's reveals on the 13th?

I would go with:

11/11 Release Date

Two Models $249 or $299

249 has Wii U, WiiPad, and Nintendoland

299 Adds remote, nunchuk, and maybe something minor

Majora's Mask 3DS revealed

Retro reveals their game and it is Star Fox. They won't get the keys to Zelda or Mario. They have done Metroid. Thinking Star Fox, a really awesome Star Fox. That will be out this year.

Oersted

Are we guessing Nintendo's reveals on the 13th?

I would go with:

11/11 Release Date

Two Models $249 or $299

249 has Wii U, WiiPad, and Nintendoland

299 Adds remote, nunchuk, and maybe something minor

Majora's Mask 3DS revealed

Retro reveals their game and it is Star Fox. They won't get the keys to Zelda or Mario. They have done Metroid. Thinking Star Fox, a really awesome Star Fox. That will be out this year.

you mean the second one i hope

Uhhh.

Can I borrow your Delorean when you're done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom