• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockman Online likely cancelled, concept art shown

GSR

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/09/10/rockman-online-is-likely-cancelled-according-to-artist/

Well, unfortunate news tonight, though probably news a lot of you were expecting. After concerns about the fate of Rockman Online after NeoWiz announced internal restructuring, the game’s lead artist Kang Dong Hwa, aka Cantio75, has admitted that the project he was on was dropped (without mentioning Online specifically) on his blog. Furthermore, he posted numerous pieces of concept artwork (such as the above) he devised for Online over the years. This also points to the game being cancelled, since it would most likely be illegal for him to post the artwork if the game were still in development.

Of course, we’ll wait for official confirmation from NeoWiz to say for certainty the game’s cancellation, but honestly, after nearly half a year with no updates, and growing concerns, this development probably shouldn’t be shocking. It is a true shame – Rockman Online was looking like a very interesting game, despite being one fans in the west may have never got to play.

We also wish the best to Mr. Kang, who says he’s currently looking for new work, and that it’s hard finding jobs that suit his specialty in science fiction imagery. At the very least, we have this additional artwork you can enjoy after the break.

Thanks to Amunshen for the information (based on a story originally from Protodude’s Rockman Corner).

C-2011_03_gaia_town_R_all00.jpg

C-2009_08_Concept_MH_Town_3_B.JPG

More at the link.

Beth Cyra

Damn it, totally expected but that still sucks.

Looks like they were really building on the X time frame and they had a great look for X and really seemed to be wanting to do something with him.

Well at least I still have X Zone.

Azure J

At least those cool Megaman Generations styled OVAs they were using to promote this are still in the wild.

Damn it, totally expected but that still sucks.

Looks like they were really building on the X time frame and they had a great look for X and really seemed to be wanting to do something with him.

Well at least I still have X Zone.

You've doomed it now.

Capcom's now cancelling Mega Man games that people didn't even know existed. This shit's reaching a whole new level.

How long until Capcom cancels new Mega Man games in the same press release in which they're announced?

Beth Cyra

At least those cool Megaman Generations styled OVAs they were using to promote this are still in the wild.

You've doomed it now.

Nah to close to release. Not to mention if anyone doomed it, it would be the SRW Exceed dev team by filling up the map with grunt enemies with way to much HP.

Beth Cyra

Well if they really wanted to make an MMO, wouldn't setting it in .EXE be smarter?

They were able to work in two of the more beloved franchise in this way, plus it wasn't a typical MMO so this likely would have worked just as well if not better then .EXE.

shaowebb

This game, for those who don't remember it, was supposed to bridge the gap between Mega Man and Mega Man X. It looked like it was going to cover the Cataclysm. Forever lost.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This was the Korean F2P MMO right? That was a weird fucking concept.

Takao

Banned
Zero please stay away from Capcom, let's live together in a world where new MegaMan games exist.

Takao, there's no world with new MegaMan games. It's only a fantasy.

Yes, I know but I wanted to believe it. I wanted to live in a world where new MegaMan games exist.

Takao.

Ugh

Takao, Takao, Takao! Takao .... AAAAHHh ugh, no this isn't happening. There's no reason for me to go on

Top Bottom