• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about asymmetrical gameplay as much as about the TV to Pad function

This is a killer feature for me. Playing homeconsole games, then switching to the Pad when I feel tired, then play some more, browse some GAF afterwards and sleep #LivinLaVidaLoca

Same here. This is such a huge feature for me. I can already imagine playing NSMBU or ACIII in bed. It will be glorious.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Apart from that, the way until next E3 should be pretty barren though. Cash-ins that could very well end the same way as Nintendogs 2, while the rest again consists of outdated ports from 3rd parties. Looks like the 3DS to me, but without the future proof. They only thing they've learned from that launch apparently is that you can slap NSMB on it and be fine.
But then, NSMB2 didn't quite set the world on fire alongside the XL. At least not the way they were hoping for, I imagine.

Kind of...err...jumping to conclusions, to judge NSMB2 impact on 3DS just from the first week / month (respectively US and Europe. No, just UK, not even Europe. And there it's doing better than NSMB in a much worse market compared to how it was in 2006), I fear.

Wii U spec thread causing mass casualties already. Stay in your bomb shelters.

I'm just not buying the CPU info. I don't think Broadway was ever meant to go to 1ghz or higher. I have a feeling that it's another chip that's similar with additional stuff to make backwards compatibility easier.

I just have a hard time believing they would go with a more modern GPU and then just slap 3 broadway cores in there, and some how get it past 1ghz.

Pineconn

The rumored Wii U spec thread is like a Venus Trap :/

I think you mean it's more like a

200px-PiranhaPlantWii.png

Nilaul

The point he's making is that it can't be 3 broadway chips since it's multi-threaded.

Something that acts similar to broadway, its programamble like broadway?
Would make it more easier for Nintendo developers, I guess.

Perhaps the graphic chip will have a similar in somewhat to Wii/GC then, in terms of programing.

chris3116

Are they really going to leave Japan hanging for a week like that?

I don't think Nintendo has taken TGS seriously since 2005. I expect a surprise Nintendo Direct announcement for Japan later today or tomorrow.

Nintendo does their own things for Japan. I think it will before TGS could be anytime between today and September 20th. I say the day before maybe it will be sooner. They could release Wii U after the North American release like they did with the original Wii.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm just not buying the CPU info. I don't think Broadway was ever meant to go to 1ghz or higher. I have a feeling that it's another chip that's similar with additional stuff to make backwards compatibility easier.

I just have a hard time believing they would go with a more modern GPU and then just slap 3 broadway cores in there, and some how get it past 1ghz.

Yep. "enhanced broadway" means nothing. Sounds like an off hand comparison (maybe based on the overall clock speed?) rather than a literal description. I could obviously be wrong though.

Also, how is a beefed up broadway anything remotely to do with Power7? I'm not saying it was ever going to be a power7 but what about the confirmation it's using the 'same chips' as Watson (which are power7's)?

And to clarify, this isn't me trying to say its going to perform better than "3 broadways", just that describing it as such is a strange thing to say. Especially if this is supposed to have come from the warioworld.com developer site. Would Nintendo say that?

Colour me confused and a little skeptical.

Something that acts similar to broadway, its programamble like broadway?
Would make it more easier for Nintendo developers, I guess.

Perhaps the graphic chip will have a similar in somewhat to Wii/GC then, in terms of programing.

Sure, that makes sense. People how ever are taking it to mean 3 literal Broadway CPU's slapped together and with a clock speed turned up. I just can't see that being the case for a number of reasons.

is it just me or do these shapes have hard corners? Really odd, I know, but you'd think nintendo would go with round corners...and it bugs me.
nintendodirect0912_mainstagebanner_990px_enGB.jpg

I guess this means that Nintendo is really "hard cor" now. ;)

Yep. "enhanced broadway" means nothing. Sounds like an off hand comparison (maybe based on the overall clock speed?) rather than a literal description. I could obviously be wrong though.

It is entirely possible to have a chip that uses the same architecture with a pretty different microarchitecture. My Phenom II runs code made for the original, decade-plus-old 32-bit Athlon. In the same manner, it could be said that the cpu is "Multiple beefed up Athlon cores at a higher clock", even if that description is a bit disingenuous.

So Nintendo could have had custom designed a multithreaded core that simply kept the ISA of the Broadway (or a superset thereof), so they get the benefit of full backwards compatibility (without having to deal with emulation) but much higher performance, in terms of both IPC and total vroom.

It is entirely possible to have a chip that uses the same architecture with a pretty different microarchitecture. My Phenom II runs code made for the original, decade-plus-old 32-bit Athlon. In the same manner, it could be said that the cpu is "Multiple beefed up Athlon cores at a higher clock", even if that description is a bit disingenuous.

So Nintendo could have had custom designed a multithreaded core that simply kept the ISA of the Broadway (or a superset thereof), so they get the benefit of full backwards compatibility (without having to deal with emulation) but much higher performance, in terms of both IPC and total vroom.

If you're being that liberal you could say that my i7 is based on the calculus.

Earendil

I'm thinking so as well. It would be nice to retain the 4 instructions per clock of the 47x cores. And those chips are already made on 45nm, unlike Broadway, which may not shrink as easily.

I am still a little confused though, because as far as I can tell, the 47x cores are not multi-threaded, and we've heard two conflicting reports about the WiiU CPU being multi-threaded or not. I had theorized that it has 6 47x cores in 3 logical groups (I believe someone else had originally postulated this), but now I'm not so sure.

Man this thread has picked up. :) Thursday looms - wish I had off work...

Wsippel got that info for us first. I do believe it will be an MCM like you said, but Mr. Patti's hypothetical does open me to wondering about who is making the GPU. Was he speaking hypothetically in referring to TSMC as a part of that, or was he just speaking hypothetically about how the stacking would be handled in that case because Nintendo is using TSMC. The question for me would be how much of that was truth and how much was hypothetical?

gDDR3 seems to have very poor density. I'm talking about DDR3 that's specially clocked for Wii U. That speed falls between DDR3-1866 and 2133 and ~31GB/s on a 128-bit bus. As for the amount, here are two posts I made about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41595045&postcount=2303

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41622413&postcount=2638

My bad. Credit to wsippel. But regards to you both for keeping these threads interesting with fresh scoops...

gDDR3, unless I'm mistaken, is pretty much regular DDR3 just fine tuned to hold up to the rigors of gaming. So whatever you want to call it, I believe we can agree on them 2 gigabit DDR3 chips (DDR3 2133 downclocked to 960 Mhz).

I understand your stance on capacity. However, I still see 1.5 GB as a safer bet. If the 1 GB of RAM in the dev kits for system applications was so untouchable and such a mystery, why can't we just assume that, just as they did for the 1 GB of RAM available to games, they added twice as much as needed to the dev kits? So the final system would be targeting 512 MB for system applications, with the extra 512 in dev kits for debug, a safety net for experimenting, etc. It even says in that old specs sheet that dev kits would have up to 3 GB (which aligns w/ what you and Ideaman have told us regarding the breakdown of what RAM is available to whom and for what), and that retail units would have half that. So even if Nintendo included 1 GB for "OS" in the dev kits, they clearly state that the final would not.

I think all of that stacking talk was hypothetical, but you never know. That said, I believe it's possible that the eDRAM is right on-chip, not an MCM, but fully embedded ,as on Flipper and POWER7. As we've discussed, it wouldn't add much to die size or TDP, and the benefits would be numerous.

Tehalemi

It always bugged me that he didn't just say collar.

Stupid tiny aliens.

Just because I'm gaseous doesn't mean I don't have life intelligent and big enough to kick youranus.

>:3

Back on focus though:

So CPUpocalypse again?

Just relax. Games will still looks awesome.

Heh, I think the last thing people have on their minds at the moment is relaxation of any kind, though my own jelly beans are seriously bouncing for some new footage on the main Wii U UI.

Stulaw

Gddr3 is enhanced ddr2 memory, Gddr4/5 is based on ddr3.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3

The Wii uses Gddr3 from what I know.

I started to read the Wii U spec thread, and now I know why NeoGAF has the reputation it does. Specs really do bring out the worst in people. Still, not as bad as other sites.

I am still a little confused though, because as far as I can tell, the 47x cores are not multi-threaded, and we've heard two conflicting reports about the WiiU CPU being multi-threaded or not. I had theorized that it has 6 47x cores in 3 logical groups (I believe someone else had originally postulated this), but now I'm not so sure.

Wsippel posted a theory that sounds like what you describe. Basically 6 cores split into 3 groups of 2, with each pair sharing cache and some other stages. Personally, I've fallen into the no SMT camp. Not that I'm down on Wii U - this is not personal to me. I just judge those reports as more likely accurate given what we know...and lherre has been awfully silent since his initially throwing that info out there. :p

What I've been wondering is why is Core 1 the one with the fat cache and not Core 0. Does it make a difference? Would Nintendo really tie up a core w/ background OS-level features? What would possibly be running simultaneously w/ the game that it needs a core? An Arm Cortex A5 at 480 Mhz should be able to run the OS kernel just as Starlet did on Wii...

Gddr3 is enhanced ddr2 memory, Gddr4/5 is based on ddr3.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3

The Wii uses Gddr3 from what I know.

I started to read the Wii U spec thread, and now I know why NeoGAF has the reputation it does. Specs really do bring out the worst in people. Still, not as bad as other sites.

Don't confuse GDDR3 with gDDR3. The first is what you refer to being based off DDR2. The latter is cleverly marketed DDR3.

Edit: Boo on me for back to backs. ha

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

vroom.jpg

someone HAD to do it

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Can someone get me up to date with Wii U news from the last two months? What is this Thursday event?

Earendil

Wsippel posted a theory that sounds like what you describe. Basically 6 cores split into 3 groups of 2, with each pair sharing cache and some other stages. Personally, I've fallen into the no SMT camp. Not that I'm down on Wii U - this is not personal to me. I just judge those reports as more likely accurate given what we know...and lherre has been awfully silent since his initially throwing that info out there. :p

What I've been wondering is why is Core 1 the one with the fat cache and not Core 0. Does it make a difference? Would Nintendo really tie up a core w/ background OS-level features? What would possibly be running simultaneously w/ the game that it needs a core? An Arm Cortex A5 at 480 Mhz should be able to run the OS kernel just as Starlet did on Wii...

I knew I had seen that before, thanks for letting me know who to credit. IIRC, he also said something along the lines that SMT isn't the be-all, end-all of multi-processing, and in some cases SMP is a better option. That would certainly be inline with this.

BTW, where did you see that Core 1 is the one with the larger cache? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Can someone get me up to date with Wii U news from the last two months? What is this Thursday event?

Here's a basic summary (this thread has more swings than a playground):

Wii U is great.

Wii U sucks.

Wii U is great.

Wii U sucks.

Wii U is great.

Wii U sucks.

Wii U is great.

Wii U sucks.

THURSDAYTON!!!! (There's a conference on Thursday that is supposed to show games, price, launch date and possibly the OS)

Basically going to describe the launch date, pricing, and launch lineup for the WiiU we hope, as well as clean up confusing issues like when we can use the GamePad, how the OS works, plans for the digital storefront etc.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What time is this Thursday conference? I start a new job tomorrow and need to be in bed at a decent hour.

Also, has any new info been learned about Pikmin 3?

D-e-f-

Banned

Final launch detail blowout.

Last two months? I really can't remember.

• The usual techno-babble,
  • UE4 possibly already officially supports Wii U,
  • box art designs leaked,
  • New Super Mario Bros U has a Super Mario World-style overworld map with branching paths and all.
  • Battle Mii tech demo turned into Metroid Blast in NintendoLand, features glowy lights, 5 players
  • Balloon Trip Breeze attraction based on Balloon Fight, Epic Yarn artstyle.
  • Stephen Totilo at Kotaku seems to be one of the few who "gets" the Wii U (wrote article about Miiverse, detailing the stuff we learned about in the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct but reiterated in a personal interview with Iwata)
  • Mass Effect 3 port may turn out to be the best version of the game, more quick slots for skills on screen, map. Includes motion comic by Dark Horse that lets you make choices from ME1+2 (like the PS3 port of ME2 did)
  • John Carmack would've loved to put Doom 3 BFG Edition on Wii U and Vita but the Powers That Be don't want him to. (weird paraphrase here, don't read too much into it)
  • Retro hired a bunch of former idSoftware/Treyarch, Vigil, Naughty Dog, etc veterans

that's all I got right now

What time is this Thursday conference? I start a new job tomorrow and need to be in bed at a decent hour.

Also, has any new info been learned about Pikmin 3?

10 AM EST

Zero Pikmin 3 info.

Hoo-doo

Banned
He's also said in the past that the Wii U should be powerful enough to run PS4/720 games on lower settings somewhat comparably Xbox-->PS2.

I don't think the comparison Xbox / PS2 will apply at all, unless you think the other two nextgen consoles will also cheap out on almost everything.

We'll see. Excited for the conference on thursday though!

So bgassassin just confirmed the leaked specs as legit?

Disappointing.

Oh well. My sleeping patterns shall not be affected. New Zelda/Mario/Metroid will still look gorgeous.

It just confirms that he knew about this 'rumour' before we did, as did EC. Do they know what the CPU consists of though, speed, same for the GPU?!?!?! Yes... No... Do you?

He also seconded the comment "The knee-jerk reactions in this thread are pure gold. Thread delivers."

FFS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41992433&postcount=726

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom