• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

You were making somewhat sensible posts earlier. No need to get trolly and derail the thread
any further

Am I the one trolling when the poster making the claim those Zelda graphics are not achievable on the PS360 despite not having any sort of concrete info/data to substantiate the claim?

Kameo a 360 launch title from 6 years ago looks better than that:

kameo_28683.jpg

Z4IM4.gif

CLEEK

Uh, were you not blown away the first time you saw Super Mario 64?

Of course I was. As I was with Luigi's Mansion on the 'cube. But I was also impressed with Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii, as it was a noticeable technical improvement over the GC version. Even though it couldn't compare to 360 games.

My point still stands. If you judge the Wii U by other hardware platforms, it will be disappointing. If you judge it against previous Nintendo consoles, it will be a full generational leap.

Of course I was. As I was with Luigi's Mansion on the 'cube. But I was also impressed with Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii, as it was a noticeable technical improvement over the GC version. Even though it couldn't compare to 360 games.

My point still stands. If you judge the Wii U by other hardware platforms, it will be disappointing. If you judge it against previous Nintendo consoles, it will be a full generational leap.

If only we lived in a Nintendo bubble :p

Can you explain? Because if you're discounting the GPU I can only think what's left is the CPU and we really don't know how it performs yet.

The ports, the cpu, the, the network specs even the ram amount seems like something that could have been managed around that timeframe. The only real differentiating factor on the Wii-U is the tablet they've attached to their controller and even that tech feels antiquated by 2006 standards.

Am I the one trolling when the poster making the claim those Zelda graphics are not achievable on the PS360 despite not having any sort of concrete info/data to substantiate the claim?

It can't be.

PS3 and Xbox360 are hitting their limits. Slow CPUs, lack of RAM, and DX9 equivalent GPUs cannot reproduce the Zelda demo.

For like a year... And don't forget it's gonna take at least a year for games to actually start looking better.
Yes, but you're going to have a team like EAD Tokyo pushing it. A team that can take a GCN with more RAM, masterfully hide deficiencies, and come up with titles like SMG1&2. Games that are beautiful as they are, and only improved through higher resolution. That team is going to be working on a system more powerful than either of Sony or MS current offerings and they'll still be that team. That team that pushed GCN era tech like they did. These guys in technical acumen, and artistic merit are on the level of Naughty Dog. Hiding inadequacies to achieve a bar higher than is perceived possible.

I have no doubt that they will produce a title that will stand up well to Pixaresque endeavors on Durango or Orbis.

But when striving for realism? Pure geometric detail, texture detail, effect precision? The system will always come up short after next year.

But that in no way means the same thing it meant this gen, or last.

This past gen the weakest system was the Wii. At it's maximum it is at least 10x weaker in pure poly output. It featured an antiquated GPU design that made easy porting all but impossible. Through the way it approached shaders, to it's lack of any GPU assisted Dot3 calculation, it's max poly throughput, and pixel fillrate. It can't achieve anything that the other two systems did easily.

WiiU and on that is an entirely different ballgame. It will lack the horsepower to do effects at the precision of those other two systems, but the underlying codebase will be similar.

I'm not saying it will be pretty. But this isn't the Wii situation. It's nowhere close just because of the move to a more modern GPU design.

EuroMIX

Actually, the thread's been quite tame. No spinning, really.

Mostly because they types of specs have bee rumoured for a while. The only surprising thing is the rumoured CPU.

Edit: Yikes, have I really hit Member status already? I thought I would be banned by now for sure!

CLEEK

To be honest, Nintendo's hardware design decisions since Iwata took over have been pretty consistent.

DS > Wii > 3DS > Wii U have all followed the same pattern. Low cost, existing technology (with hardware BC), wrapped up in novel design that offers a different experience. To expect the Wii U to have cutting edge components was very implausible. I mean, they're still rocking crappy resistive touchscreens.

BlackJace

Well, he did post an article in his defense. As subjective as the article can be taken, at least he didn't make an absolute baseless claim without SOMETHING.

Shocking since there never ever is bad Nintendo news for them.
See, I really hate when Ninty fans get generalized and clumped in with the crowd you're referring to. As EatChildren said, there are idiots on all sides. That doesn't mean you can broadly say "them". Specify the group people you're referring to next time. Other than that, I don't have an issue with what you're saying.

To be honest, Nintendo's hardware design decisions since Iwata took over have been pretty consistent.

DS > Wii > 3DS > Wii U have all followed the same pattern. Low cost, existing technology (with hardware BC), wrapped up in novel design that offers a different experience. To expect the Wii U to have cutting edge components was very implausible. I mean, they're still rocking crappy resistive touchscreens.

It's a slightly more extreme version of their original design mantra.

Shocking since there never ever is bad Nintendo news for them.

Since these specs, or what they represent have been hinted at or suspected by most reasonable people for a while, there is no real need for spin. Some did question the legitimacy of the leaks, and there have been suggestions that these specs are simplistic or don't represent the whole picture. There's also the Kameo/Zelda tech demo debate, which is up there with 'it's just pure gameplay' as one of the most ludicrous things I've even seen written here.

CLEEK

Something about multitouch right?

BC with the DS was the reason quoted as why the 3DS used a restive touch-screen. They have forgone a more advanced, better tech to reduce cost and ensure hardware BC.

I'd imagine these are the same exact reasons why the Wii U's CPU is just an enhanced version of the GC and Wii's CPU.

Interesting leak. I doubt Nintendo would ever back it up but this sounds very believable. Now it's just a matter of what kind of games come out of it. Some devs have been working on games for how long now? 2 years? Let's see what they can make with final hardware in mind.

RagnarokX

BC with the DS was the reason quoted as when the 3DS used a restive touch-screen. They have forgone a more advanced, better tech to reduce cost and ensure hardware BC.

I'd imagine these are the same exact reason why the Wii U's CPU is just an enhanced version of the GC and Wii's CPU.

They went with resistive because unlike smartphones and tablets the WiiU actually has buttons, greatly reducing the usefulness of multitouch. The precision of resistive lends itself better to gaming and they made the thing sensitive enough to read fingers well.

AzaK

Looking back at the OP

GPU: “GPU7” AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU. Unique API = GX2, which supports Shader Model 4.0 (DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 equivalent functionality)

Is there any chance that in fact the hardware could handle SM 5 with DX11 equivalence but the actual API is presently just 4.0 and DX10.1 equivalent, but a later API revision could tap into those features?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I love how the new meme will be that WiiU is 3 Wiis ducktaped together.
Same as how the Wii was two Gamecubes ducktaped together.

(regardless of whether it is true or not)

At least Nintendo is making progressively larger leaps. haha

Looking back at the OP

Is there any chance that in fact the hardware could handle SM 5 with DX11 equivalence but the actual API is presently just 4.0 and DX10.1 equivalent, but a later API revision could tap into those features?

Dunno, but what I don't understand is that the leaked dev specs stated that the GPU had compute shaders. What happened to that with this leak?

Six with sparkles damn it! Orbis is 26 PS2's and Durango is 11 Xbox's.

JordanN

Banned
I asked for specifics that can be pointed out, not your personal opinion.
I think I'm being specific enough when I say the aesthetics are better.

KageMaru said:
You posted a comment from Iwata, who I doubt had a hand in the development of that tech demo.
Whether he has a hand does not take away from what's being said.

And the Wii-U successor will be four Wii-U's ducttaped together. :p

I guess we'll see, but I would still imagine that dev costs will likely be cheaper for WiiU than for Sony & MS's next-gen systems. It may even be cheaper than 360/PS3 development, since RAM won't be such an obstacle to work around.

The extra power of Sony/MS next consoles will make them more expensive to develop for, but somehow the extra power of the WiiU over the current gen makes it cheaper.

Must be that Nintendo magic.

That's not opinion.

It is a technical demonstration. Not representative of final software. Link probably has more polygons than necessary if they use normals well. Just like the GCN demonstration Link has many more polygons than the final Twilight Princess model. TP Link also looks better because it used the tech competently.

The final Link for WiiU will look a lot different. It will probably forgo high poly count, for normals. Like any well made model this generation. Those drawcalls could go for better things. Like expansive environments and asset diversity. So system resources being dedicated to a single room isn't genuine. No matter who said it.

TheD

The Detective
Looking back at the OP

No.

They would not make a custom API for a console that did not support it's features, very much so when they could use a custom version of OpenGL 4.0 or they could enable low level hardware access.

Agreed.

DS was a laughing stock with a gimmicky touchscreen that Sony was set to wipe out with the psp.
Not exactly applicable.

Touchscreens were new and untested as gaming input devices. The system was weaker than the system Sony was releasing by the difference between the PS1 and DC.

While the system power qualifier might apply (meaning vastly different things now than then) there's no newness to touchscreens. And there's likely not to be the fervor for it.
So is it better or worse than current consoles?
GPU wise unequivocally better.

CPU? Too different to tell right now with the limited information available. Double the amount of RAM usable by games, with 3x the eDram of the 360.

A chunk of those resources will be eaten away by the second screen depending on utlization, leaving room for marginal improvements over this past generation of consoles.

KageMaru

That's not opinion.

Ok, so what specifically were you referring to when you commented on the aesthetics? It sounds like you're directing your opinion about the art, which has nothing to do with what is and isn't possible on the ps360.

JordanN said:

No, his agenda takes away from what's being said. His job is to sell the Wii-U. I don't hold this against him and I wish him luck on this goal, but any comment like this should be approached with skepticism. It's not like he's going to tell people the Zelda demo is pushing effects already seen in current gen games...

Arkam

Looking back at the OP

Per nintendo's docs the GPU's API "GX2" Supports some features greater than SM 4. SM4 is just given as a point of reference. Ill post the detail later when I have the time.

and on a side note:
Wow vgleaks.com didnt even change a single word or my formatting... That part is kind of sad. I should have made something up just to make them(and who ever "shared" my discussion) look bad :p

AzaK

Dunno, but what I don't understand is that the leaked dev specs stated that the GPU had compute shaders. What happened to that with this leak?
I was wondering this too. It was conspicuous in its absence.

No.

They would not make a custom API for a console that did not support it's features, very much so when they could use a custom version of OpenGL 4.0 or they could enable low level hardware access.
What about OpenGL extensions?

Wii= Hot Girl
PS360= Hot Naked Girl
Wii U= Hot Naked Girl letting me play with her tits
PS4/720= Hot Naked Girl sitting on my dick with her tits on my mouth

Does this clear it up? I know it does for me.

Top Bottom