• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Psycho Pass seems like the kind of show that would require 22-24 episodes. It has an interesting idea that deserves to be fleshed out and not rushed to completion.

Aww, you didn't like
Haruhi racing after Tamaki in the horse carriage with "Shissou" playing full blast in the background
? It's been a while since I've watched this show, and the last two episodes were kind of abrupt, but I thought that was pretty neat in the cheesiest way possible.

As I alluded to, that scene was romantic in an ultra-cheesy way, which I kind of liked, but I would have liked it better if it had felt earned.

Narag

Detatoko Princess 3

lrIFZl.png

Hey it even looked better this time. Maybe it always looked good but I never could pay attention to it.

Huh, finally an episode delivers with the ancient demons of fitness premise. Intro was pretty neat too and would be right at home in a fantasy show that played it straight.
Three episode rule prevails but it's a shame this was the only good one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey, just remember that if you end up like the guy who went missing for like six months on gaf before turning up to say he was going to the gym, we wouldn't take six months to go internet detective on you. We'd take five and a half.

Nah I'll totally own up on GAF to whatever perverse deeds I've committed before getting carted off and doing a dime in prison.

All hail the prince of K-town!

The 213 is a different kind of rough. lol

Just ask Ryouga or like the half-dozen Japanese based English teachers here. I'm sure they'd help!
And you'd be able to experience the mansweat of moe first hand!

You'd be surprised by how many folks I know here who don't have any Japanese or even a desire to learn the language while here. They tend to get by just fine.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You'd be surprised by how many folks I know here who don't have any Japanese or even a desire to learn the language while here. They tend to get by just fine.

I think I'd be too self-conscious about projecting an "ugly American" image by demanding that everyone speak my language instead of their own. It's only fair that if I'm living in their country I try my best to adapt to their society instead of the other way around, I guess.

Besides, given the opportunity to learn a new language through immersion, why wouldn't someone?

Articalys

As I alluded to, that scene was romantic in an ultra-cheesy way, which I kind of liked, but I would have liked it better if it had felt earned.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were only referring to liking the
bridge-jump scene at the end
in particular.

Come to think of it, I believe the Ouran manga actually borrowed a couple plot ideas from the anime ending much later in its run, but used them in the context of the manga's ongoing story arc. I might be wrong about that though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know Korea is basically a party for English teachers, so I imagine Japan could be exactly the same if you'd want it to be.

wonzo

Banned
Good mindfucked or bad mindfucked?
A bit of both really. I couldn't recommend this on its own as part of the mindfuck was that it defied exactly what I was expecting from a follow up to one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It wasn't really that good an episode either, just unexpected really. I'd say more about what actually happens in the episode but I don't want to spoil anything as that would pretty much ruin the whole thing even if it's kinda predictable.

YMMV when it comes to this episode.

Hey, at least we got Moyashimon!
I don't know; in some ways Psycho-Pass is reminiscent of Eden of the East. Unless that also falls under newtaminA.
I'm actually kinda looking forward to Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes but I wasn't expecting both to be 2 cour shows.

Westlo

*pours Henny for Kayos*

Team Asuna will go on without you.

I don't want to tempt fate (if you could call it that...) like Kayos did... so I won't say anything.. but as far as Manami goes... "I never liked her ass anyway".

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 1-2

Being Yui's friend doesn't seem like the most lucky thing.
Didn't know Koda Kumi did the Opening for this. I like the song, but the opening itself is one of the laziest jobs around.

Yay someone else just started watching this! As for the OP I figured it was a placeholder OP and as you've seen with episode 3, it was. Still very lazy though lol...

So is Kirito being #1 on Newtype a one time thing where he'll just disappear off the face of the list if the show is no longer airing or is this another Kira Yamato situation...

You of all people know how much more material is in store for SAO after this current series is over... Kirito going to still be ranking in 2022.... Men wanna be him, woman wanna have dinner with him and than fuck him.

He will disappear...until SAO season 2 if it got announced.

Aint no "If" about, probably going to sell 30k at this rate.. and A-1 like to churn out sequels... I think the only 10k+ seller A-1 haven't made a sequel to is Kannagi... and that has obvious reasons... not to mention the Ordet thing.

Jex

It was seriously that bad. Do you want to know why it was that bad?

After Hazuki returns to his body ALMOST AT THE END OF THE EPISODE, he and Rokka have some stupid conversation about how to properly bid Shimao farewell or whatever, then they kiss and Hazuki reiterates how he wants to marry her. Fade out scene.

Fade scene back in FORTY YEARS LATER, WITH ROKKA AND HAZUKI DEAD, AND THEIR GRANDCHILD TALKING WITH GHOST SHIMAO

THAT'S HOW BAD IT WAS

WE GOT CHEATED OUT OF ANY REAL RELATIONSHIP DEVELOPMENT BETWEEN THE TWO
That sounds fine to me. The development was handled earlier and clearly wasn't the focus of the story by the half-way point.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 24:

jJnBEl.jpg

so this is where the magic happens

Heh. That's about all I can say about the episode.
I was all geared up to make a post complaining about how idiotic the idea of an idol running away with her stalker is, but then that happened.
I'm okay with this.

General Underboob
back next week. I guess the show is
all out of new characters
at this point.

The recurring pairing of red and black in the backgrounds was an interesting artistic touch, even if it worked better some places than others and the locales were generally too pedestrian to take full advantage of it:

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought that was a Nisemongatari shot for a second.

Jex

Sengoku Collection 24:

The recurring pairing of red and black in the backgrounds was an interesting artistic touch, even if it worked better some places than others and the locales were generally too pedestrian to take full advantage of it:
So, what you're saying is they ripped off the visual style of Penguin Drum Melody of Oblivion Revolutionary Girl Utena?

wonzo

Banned
Sengoku Collection 24:

Don't forget the woman with the black hair and the red dress.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, what you're saying is they ripped off the visual style of Penguin Drum Melody of Oblivion Revolutionary Girl Utena?

I'm fully aware that it's been done many times before, but I still thought that it was worth pointing out.

Don't forget the woman with the black hair and the red dress.

Yeah, that too. I keep telling myself that I need to stop watching anime when I'm 3/4ths asleep so that I can actually remember what happens.

Jex

Moyashimon Returns 11

What a great finale this turned out to be. When they first started the
Paris
arc it kinda felt like it was middling about with no sense of direction but soon enough, everything started coming together to create this really funny, charming and emotional experience. This was quite easily the better of the two noitaminA series and a worthy sequel to the original Moyashimon. If you're a fan of the first series then you owe yourself to check this out as it most certainly won't disappoint.
I don't even know if I am a fan of the first season anymore, especially if the direction is as awkward throughout the original series as it is in the first episode of season two. It's making me doubt my own recollection of the show.

Westlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtYJ1_gFZws

Another new Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai PV! This seems to be a special promotional OP and not the show's actual OP.

Looking good! Also a bit more hyped for this since I read that FukuJun is voicing the male VA, shit gunna be good.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3

Japs? Japanese doll? This American guy is a bit of a racist dick. Yui not fighting is somewhat disappointing, I was already imagining more
of her friends dieing all around her in battle one after the other
... actually no, it's disappointing because I thought she'd have a more active role than what it seems she'll have during actual fights. The white haired duo will have to make up for it.

Well to be fair Yui was way more of a dick in that episode, though the end was so good, liked how the ED theme kicked in @ that point to punctuate it.

Also, Mr. Romain (https://plus.google.com/photos/104379489189811288070/albums) is himself a collaborator and regular poster of CATSUKA FORUM.

He posted a little on AS as well, I think his last post on that forum was "the character designs for AKB0048 are good, what's wrong with them?".

Hopefully that means 2 supercell ending themes!

Jex

The correct list is:

1. Zeta
2. Zeta
3. Zeta
4. G Gundam
5. Zeta

Well, at least you have G Gundam listed in there. Unfortunately I feel that Zeta is kind of a bad series in terms of hugely inconsistent direction, awful pacing and terrible characters.

Jex

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Episode 10-11 (END)
Also, everyone who said ep10 was way too long was right, but the final line really made it all worthwhile. I'm glad I didn't have to wait a week after that, lol.
I'm glad you took my advice to heart!

Jex

At the same time, potential offenders who have a high level of criminality are themselves are chosen to become Enforcement Officers because of their natural ability to understand the root of a criminal's mind. If they agree to the arrangement, they are released from prison and employed as detectives. But because of the danger they pose by being potential criminal offenders themselves, Enforcement Officers are closely monitored by Executive Officers chosen from the top elites of society. Executive Officers are trained to work with Enforcement Officers on the field, and aiding them while keeping a clear and focused mind so they can take action if they judge that one has turned rogue.
You know, that sounds awfully similar to the set-up of Cyber City Oedo 808, except in that series the Enforcement Officer was a wisecracking robot and everyone is wearing bombs collars to stop them escaping:

It probably reads much better anyway.

Don't be that guy!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Moyashimon Returns 07:

And here I thought that nothing could make me more frightened of flying than I already am.

This episode also has to be the least-romanticized depiction of a
Paris vacation
ever. I think I'm going to end up actually liking this turn of events.

Moyashimon Returns 08:

Man,
running into an attractive girl(?) in the middle of the French countryside who speaks perfect Japanese and then effortlessly running into Hasegawa by total coincidence
is kind of suspension-of-disbelief-breaking, hahah.

too tired for more so I'll finish tomorrow

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Moyashimon Returns 07:

And here I thought that nothing could make me more frightened of flying than I already am.

This episode also has to be the least-romanticized depiction of a
Paris vacation
ever :lol :lol I think I'm going to end up actually liking this turn of events.

Moyashimon Returns 08:

Man,
running into an attractive girl(?) in the middle of the French countryside who speaks perfect Japanese and then running into Hasegawa
is kind of suspension-of-disbelief-breaking, hahah.

too tired for more so I'll finish tomorrow

7 - the fuck
Paris
thing is great.

8 -
what about the fact that she's an expy of a character that already exists in the show!

Jarmel

Banned
You know, that sounds awfully similar to the set-up of Cyber City Oedo 808, except in that series the Enforcement Officer was a wisecracking robot and everyone is wearing bombs collars to stop them escaping:

Don't be that guy!

Actually I would say that Urobuchi's influence is probably from Equilibrium as that is the main twist of the movie and he's a very big fan(he wrote fanfiction for it).

hXdGm.gif

I am worried though that there are going to be a lot of stand-alone episodes instead of a tightly written narrative.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
7 - the fuck
Paris
thing is great.

Although totally anecdotal I've heard nothing but terrible things about it from everyone who's
ever visited
so it's awesome to see this perspective for once.

8 -
what about the fact that she's an expy of a character that already exists in the show!

Hence my
putting a question mark after "girl" when describing her, lol.

Although I think I saw tits at the end of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom