• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graph of 35 Years of console launch prices adjusted for inflation (includes Wii U)

Found on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/zvbt9/35_years_of_console_launch_prices_adjusted_for/

ZwxWq.png

Wichu

This shows just how overpriced the Wii U is.
C'mon guys.

Is there a version of this for handhelds too?

Oh NeoGeo, what a monster. I feel that if the modern hardcore gamer was around back in the early 90s there would be complaining that the SNES was not a true Next Gen console in comparison.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So?

Can we have a metric that factors in graphics and CPU power? (not simple to do, just making a point)

The 360 held up for 6+ year a lot better than the WiiU is going to.

Orayn

Nice bit of perspective. It'd be interesting to see one of these that compares average game prices in absolute value and relative to their consoles.

Where's the chart that adjusts for the Wii U being 7 year old hardware?

In the same place as the actual proof that the Wii U is 7 year old hardware.

with 4 bright buttons and 2 joysticks

Cool red cabinet, name that sticks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So?

Can we have a metric that factors in graphics and CPU power? (not simple to do, just making a point)

What in fucking hell has this anything to do with the purpose of this thread?

King_Moc

Banned
So?

Can we have a metric that adjusts for tablet controllers and pay to play multiplayer? It's not all about processing power.

It's not about the number
It is the perceived value for said number

Quite so. I still think the WiiU to the 'outside Gaf' world is of perceived value though.
We'll see though I guess.

Heres unadjusted, for those interested:
console-prices-absolute-2.png

Adjusted is great but inflation isn't a huge influence on the gaming industry, and prices are only now starting to creep upwards after many years of being kept around the same price.

Zophar

When framed like that it makes it even more mysterious why the Dreamcast never took off. Beat the PS2 by a year and was a hell of a value.

Goldmund

Where's the chart that adjusts for the Wii U being 7 year old hardware?
Just google "chart". If someone's cognitive faculties are so limited that they recognize the WiiU as 7 year old hardware, any chart will be perfectly convincing as long as you present it saying: "That's the one!"

Harlock

People seem to forget that inflation exists. Often speak "the PS2 cost X back in 2000", like 12 years not had a substantial inflation.

When framed like that it makes it even more mysterious why the Dreamcast never took off. Beat the PS2 by a year and was a hell of a value.

Sega's brand looked old. Playstation was one of the most powerful brands in business. Plus, DVD player ofc.

It also wasn't as pretty and Sega gave up rather early.

People seem to forget that inflation exists. Often speak "the PS2 cost X back in 2000", like 12 years not had a substantial inflation.

Its a real squeeze on the games industry, people are really negative to any pricing changes. No matter if their changing over decades.

If they'd had the money to stay in the HW business and to afford the strategies necessary to keep it a going concern it probably would have done alright for itself for a few more years. It was at over 10m units before it was discontinued. The Gamecube and Xbox only sold 11-13 million more over the entire 5/6 years.

Ocaso

What in fucking hell has this anything to do with the purpose of this thread?

It's relevant. On a PC, $300 today gets me far, far better hardware than it did 7 years ago. That's the nature of technology. The unadjusted graph is more relevant because it shows how you could sustain a $200-300 launch price in spite of inflation while still increasing processing power significantly.

King_Moc

Banned
If they'd had the money to stay in the HW business and to afford the strategies necessary to keep it a going concern it probably would have done alright for itself for a few more years. It was at over 10m units before it was discontinued. The Gamecube and Xbox only sold 11-13 million more over the entire 5/6 years.

Add about 10 million to each of the gc and xbox numbers.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't really care if the wiiU was the cheapest by 50%, it doesn't have a single thing that interests me and will be miles behind other new consoles.

Even at 150$ I wouldn't be interested.

speedline

Banned
The difference in that graph is that most of those consoles were cutting edge at the time they released, unlike Wii and Wii U. Also, the more expensive consoles in that graph didn't sell worth a damn anyway, so it's not like the graph makes the Wii U look any better. If the Wii U were current hardware with a large HDD then I'd be just fine with the price. Also, on a unrelated note, Wii U has to be one of the worst names for any device ever.

Top Bottom